What's new

Skarlet General Discussion Thread

Lisbeth

Kitana stole my sai
Hey guys, does anyone knows the location of the heart chest that contains skarlet skin/gear in the krypt?

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I've been using her more lately and I kinda like her range and zoning. Teleporting characters give me trouble though. What do you do against saibot? Seems like his neutral is better than hers and if she tries to zone a lot, she gets punished.

Secondly. Just cause she dosen't have mixups makes her even a harder character to fight with. I've had tons of success online with Skarlet playing mindgames with simply B4 and B2.
i saw people talking about this but if they just jump you get punished.

FanTalk

The 5th Yonko
i saw people talking about this but if they just jump you get punished.
If they jump you anti-air them with bf4. Now in the corner IT'S SMART AND SAFE to back up at a distance where if they jump the b2 will get them. D4 and they jump out will kudos, they got out

E

Eldriken

Skarlet doesn't need to mix in order to win. She wouldn't be very fair if that were the case.

You can use s3 as a very reliable AA. Using b2 at max range is either really hard to punish or isn't punishable at all. Her b4 has deceptively good reach. It has the same frame data as b2, I believe (both startup and block advantage), so you can use it at the same range as max b2.

Her 44 string is a great way to whiff punish the shit out of someone. I don't think it's meant to continue pressure despite being +6. The pushback doesn't leave you at the range to really do too much. However, instead of advancing on those plus frames, walk back and make the opponent whiff their attack (if they pressed anything at all) and punish accordingly.

Her f43 is a really amazing tool. It's -1, so if your opponent doesn't have a 7f or faster move/poke, then you can d1 them afterward pretty safely. You can pretty much d1 after it whenever you want if you're feeling froggy or read your opponent trying to punish you with a slower string for a combo.

Another good thing is that her d1 guarantees you a f2 or f4 on hit, if I'm not mistaken. Her d1 is +8 on hit and f2/f4 are both 13f. However, when online, you can still get hit by mashers due to obvious reasons.

As you guys can obviously tell, I like this character since I'm saying positive things about her. I think I'm still just adjusting to MK11 since I played MKX so much since the announcement of MK11.

Skarlet also plays a completely different type of way than what I am used to.

One thing I will note is this: if people ever perfect the use of Flawless Block against her, she is screwed. Some of her stuff that is safe becomes full combo punishable and she's got plenty of gaps. I'm sure this applies to everyone, but fuck them. =P Skarlet is life.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Does anyone else think Skarlet kinda sucks? She has long startups which always end up getting kountered and in the corner makes it very hard to kontest anything, her projectiles start-up seems to be longer than most so i end up getting zoned instead of doing the zoning, and she only has a couple strings which don't lead to that much damage. What is she good for if she doesn't have high/low mixups, has crappy zoning, and is very punishable?
The major thing you have to realize is although she might feel slow to you, her frame data is comparable to the rest of the cast. The HUGE difference between her and a character like Jade or Johnny is that her space control is safe and leads to big damage. Her normals have incredible range, that's what you need to look to take advantage of. Remember, the game is neutral based this time around. Standing 2, 1 is godlike- you can hit confirm for 310 damage if you see it connect, or safely stop early if it doesn't. Her main strings all have very nice pushback- b12, b34, f21, b4, b2, standing 3. Anytime the opponent gets comfortable flawless blocking, you have ways to fuck up their timing and create a mindgame with her array of specials as well.

If you're having issues getting zoned, try the low projectile db3 I think. It'll duck under projectiles that are high enough like Kano's, Johnny's, and Liu's. Low hitbox high projectiles like Baraka will still hit her though. Your fastest zoning tool is the db4 tongue. It has startup, but no travel time. If you trade with them, you're at advantage because of the knockdown and you have time to establish your own zoning over them. Bear in mind that the tongue is your main tool, the rest is extra, designed to mess up their timing.

That's all I got for ya, dog. If you're gettin cornered, remember your wakeup tools. Wakeup up 3 is + on hit so it's easy to grab em afterwards. Rolling out is solid too. Main gameplan should be looking for whiff punishes with 2,1 and watching if it connects. If it does, full combo. Keep them mid range and use your normals to outrange them.

Last edited:

Raider

Noob
Anyone knows why is that Brazil "Exclusive" Kano skin available in the store in game but Kold War for Skarlet isn't. At least on PC?

Wrath0594

Hey, I got a tech question. So I just saw the parry being used fo counter flawless block. Because Skarlett’s biggest weakness is flawless block, this makes Heart Pierce undeniably the stronger variation at a competitive level. I want to switch, as much as I’ll miss using slow blood ball to approach.

My question is does bloodport have any real uses? Aside from the far version? 42 frames of recovery is pretty absurd.

E

Eldriken

Hey, I got a tech question. So I just saw the parry being used fo counter flawless block. Because Skarlett’s biggest weakness is flawless block, this makes Heart Pierce undeniably the stronger variation at a competitive level. I want to switch, as much as I’ll miss using slow blood ball to approach.

My question is does bloodport have any real uses? Aside from the far version? 42 frames of recovery is pretty absurd.
Use it on a read in certain MUs to punish a projectile being thrown.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Does anyone else think Skarlet kinda sucks? She has long startups which always end up getting kountered and in the corner makes it very hard to kontest anything, her projectiles start-up seems to be longer than most so i end up getting zoned instead of doing the zoning, and she only has a couple strings which don't lead to that much damage. What is she good for if she doesn't have high/low mixups, has crappy zoning, and is very punishable?
Are you on Xbox? I'd like to show you how she fits this meta perfectly.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard

Yes, here's an example: I knocked down the opponent with tongue and I check his wake up with another tongue but its blocked. I read a counter projectile coming so I tele and punish with 124

Wrath0594

Yes, here's an example: I knocked down the opponent with tongue and I check his wake up with another tongue but its blocked. I read a counter projectile coming so I tele and punish with 124
Just got to try that today vs a friend in a long set. Definitely a cool counter zone, and if you wna raw zone someone like Johnny, you can just back all the way to the corner, and regain all the space. Ya, I’m converting to Heart Pierce. The only thing throwing me now is how much tighter the BnB is with the tongue ender instead of siphon, but I’ll manage.

This character is insanely good. I feel like she may get hit with the nerf bat soon. She’s definitely mid tier, likely top 10, not sure if she’d be top 5. I feel like the most likely thing would be adding startup to tongue, which would suck. That and or making it more negative which would hurt a lot of her safe preasure. Could see them making parry 12 frame, or even taking it out of tourney variant to allow fb again.
That would be the worst case scenario for Skarlett mains. A healthier change could be adding more recovery to the end of the parry, so it’s easier to punish when she drops it- providing more counterplay both ways.

A big weakness idk if anyone has mentioned, is her flawless block launcher is awful. She can’t abuse characters who are weak to flawless because it whiffs so badly.

Last edited:
If you're having issues getting zoned, try the low projectile db3 I think. It'll duck under projectiles that are high enough like Kano's, Johnny's, and Liu's. Low hitbox high projectiles like Baraka will still hit her though. Your fastest zoning tool is the db4 tongue. It has startup, but no travel time. If you trade with them, you're at advantage because of the knockdown and you have time to establish your own zoning over them. Bear in mind that the tongue is your main tool, the rest is extra, designed to mess up their timing.
This is not always true. Trade with a normal or ex ice ball from sub and he has time to wake up, dash across the screen and full combo you. Its insane.

Wrath0594

This is not always true. Trade with a normal or ex ice ball from sub and he has time to wake up, dash across the screen and full combo you. Its insane.
Matchup dependent, sure. His iceball has a looong startup though. I don’t exactly consider SZ a top tier zoner to contend with. My point stands that you have a lot of options regardless of matchup.

Matchup dependent, sure. His iceball has a looong startup though. I don’t exactly consider SZ a top tier zoner to contend with. My point stands that you have a lot of options regardless of matchup.
take a look at the beam that is his ex ice ball. its not about sub being a zoner its his anti zoning

E

Eldriken

Sub-Zero wins the zoning trade. He makes it to you in time most of the time to combo you.

Wrath0594

take a look at the beam that is his ex ice ball. its not about sub being a zoner its his anti zoning
Ok. Again, I agree. I never said she had an autopilot free zone plan vs every opponent. My point was that it’s matchup dependent. I was giving the dude zoner vs zoner tips because he said he struggled with that specifically. I believe you that he can antizone her, but there’s plenty Skarlet can do in that MU. And you can mix your zoning tools in to be unpredictable. The same way a good scorpion player will save their teleport and use it when you’re unprepared.

Are you on Xbox? I'd like to show you how she fits this meta perfectly.
Unfortunately i am on PC, i was really excited to play Skarlet as i wanted her to return the most but i am not finding any success playing her i don't want to give up but i might be better off playing a different character.

Use it on a read in certain MUs to punish a projectile being thrown.
Or you can win space with the far blood port in a proper moment. If the opponent is careful enough with the approach on Skarlet a well timed bloodport will be able to change position close to the corner. But of course it has the risks.

I have so many issues when being rushed down w/ Skarlet. Once they get in on me I get wrecked. Any tips?
Defend yourself. :)
Skarlet has the wake up tools, ability to counterpoke with D1, and with heart piece she has the parry as well (even used in a poke war with D1xxparry). With that tools you can make a bit space where Skarlet is better (than up close) again.
In the corner it is difficult but not just for Skarlet though.

It is probably obvious just post my experience: I just labbed her potential block counters pairing with parry.
B4..3
Parry will not save you ass at all. So picking parry for covering gaps is not a reason.

Against a flawless block opponent staggering 12 looks viable though. The stagger is noticable but during the war and preparing to flawless block it is difficult to immediately react with a good button to eliminate any Skarlet follow up.
Staggering B43 looks pretty the same.
And if the opponent looks for staggering and try to counterpoke or advance - parry cancel can help in that case! That can lead into huge mind games if anybody cares about it. :)

But I guess it is the case in case of other characters too.

I do not know if anyone will master flawless blocking Skarlet's normals but as some of them are slow enough to be able to do it. But during the heat of the battle that's unlikely.

There is no combo thread so I ask it here: After block counter is there any better (damage/practical) BnB than:
212, 44xxDB4 (or cell siphon). Damage 261 with tounge.