What's new

Match-up Discussion Sinestro Matchup Discussion

insignis

Noob
do I understand right and the only way to get out from Superman's f32~breath cycle without meter is back dash?

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok guys, I just got out of the lab with my friend 2twothehead and there may be a glimmer of hope fighting against Scorpion.

Anytime Sinestro lands a d3, 223, or 1b23 into a hard knockdown he can take away all of Scorpion's wake up attacks. Simply jump over Scorpion's head and input axe of terror. This will allow you to punish all of his wake up attacks with a 27% combo (except leg takedown which will whiff setting both characters back to netural). The only way for Scorpion to escape this is block or use leg takedown....even his super move can be punished by this tactic.

More work in the lab needs to be done and this in no way significantly changes the match up. I am just clawing and scratching for anything I can get. Hey, it's a start.

I will post this in other threads to get the word out.

Or he can adapt block and punish like a person with cs or mb b3. But yeah against scorpion you got to get what you can, keep labbing good work may lead to something. BTW does it stop flip kick too? That was the one move I couldn't stop from the air, and the slide seems unstoppable unless you block. If it stops flip kick then that could be useful with proper corner placement.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Or he can adapt block and punish like a person with cs or mb b3. But yeah against scorpion you got to get what you can, keep labbing good work may lead to something. BTW does it stop flip kick too? That was the one move I couldn't stop from the air, and the slide seems unstoppable unless you block. If it stops flip kick then that could be useful with proper corner placement.
Scorpion can't punish a blocked axe of terror because axe of terror is safe on block. Yes, it stops flip kick with a 27% combo punish.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok guys, I have new tech.

Anytime a hellfire is jumped on reaction from 3/4 screen or closer a follow up fear blast must be blocked. You can even be fullscreen and jump forward to avoid the hellfire then fear blast. Fear blast is safe on block from roughly 1/2 screen and further from Scorpion's reversal teleport punish. Anytime Scorpion attempts a reversal teleport punish after a blocked fear blast a mb fear blast will hit him out of his reversal attempt even from fullscreen for 7% damage + frame advantage.....zoink.

Bit by bit little by little....again I will post this in other threads to get the word out.

Back to the lab.

LEGEND

YES!
do I understand right and the only way to get out from Superman's f32~breath cycle without meter is back dash?
If the Superman is on point with the reps of F23-Breath then you can interrupt him with your D1. which you can also link to shackles for a combo. But if the superman player knows this all they have to do is slightly delay the F23-breath and your D1 will wiff and you'll be punished

But if Superman is delaying F23-Breath then you are able to back dash out and punish. So its really all just reads

SaJa

FH_FenriR
He Sinestro vs Hawkgirl 6-4 ? What are the best HG's option in this matchup ? I'm planning to counterpick this char with him.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Really? Sinestro's only 6-4 against HG? It feels considerably worse than that to me considering everything is unsafe against us (our punishes also hit her if she tries to wing evade to make her strings safe. This gives her VERY few safe options). On top of that she can't really fly at all. Fear blasts will stop her mace charge so she can't really close the gap easily.

Honestly I've played this MU often against a good HG, and I think it's probably one of her worst matchups. There's really not much HG can do.

I do pretty well with Sinestro but some match-ups seem unwinnable. Vs Scorpion, Deathstroke, and Cyborg. Deathstroke can full screen punish FB and boulder with his own projectiles. Can't punish much of his full screen shots either, he just has to hold back, wait for you to shoot something then punish. Either that or MB crap to get more chip.

Cyborg can constantly instant air fireball and you can't breathe.

I just counter-pick Scorpion with GL and unless they are beast, I usually can best them.

Any hints on the DS, Cyborg match-up? Also, I got out zoned by Black Adam. His low lightning is safe from full screen and he can punish FB/boulder with that or lightning cloud. Patient BAs can outzone Sinestro... I've been a Sinestro main for a while but thinking bout switching up because these match-ups are getting redunkulous.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
I do pretty well with Sinestro but some match-ups seem unwinnable. Vs Scorpion, Deathstroke, and Cyborg. Deathstroke can full screen punish FB and boulder with his own projectiles. Can't punish much of his full screen shots either, he just has to hold back, wait for you to shoot something then punish. Either that or MB crap to get more chip.
This MU is actually around 6/4 in Sinestro's favor (arguably even 7/3 post-patch). I ran the set with AK Pig Of The Hut a bunch, and unless Deathstroke can stay just outside sweep distance and low-shot under your fear blasts, he really can't do anything without taking damage. Go into practice mode and learn how to reversal-punish his full-screen gunshots. It's only slightly trickier than any other attack since they hit twice. Don't use full-screen boulders except to deter jump-ins, and don't bother with raw shackles since both can be reversal-punished. Just keep him out with fear blasts and mb-fear blasts when he tries to jump. If he gets in and gets a knockdown, he has to respect your arachnid wake-up, which means he can't cross you up at all on wake-up, which is a huge deal. If you get your trait up, it's game over for Deathstroke.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
This MU is actually around 6/4 in Sinestro's favor (arguably even 7/3 post-patch). I ran the set with AK Pig Of The Hut a bunch, and unless Deathstroke can stay just outside sweep distance and low-shot under your fear blasts, he really can't do anything without taking damage. Go into practice mode and learn how to reversal-punish his full-screen gunshots. It's only slightly trickier than any other attack since they hit twice. Don't use full-screen boulders except to deter jump-ins, and don't bother with raw shackles since both can be reversal-punished. Just keep him out with fear blasts and mb-fear blasts when he tries to jump. If he gets in and gets a knockdown, he has to respect your arachnid wake-up, which means he can't cross you up at all on wake-up, which is a huge deal. If you get your trait up, it's game over for Deathstroke.
We havent played in forever

How you doing?

Pig Of The Hut

Cyborg can constantly instant air fireball and you can't breathe.

I just counter-pick Scorpion with GL and unless they are beast, I usually can best them.

Any hints on the DS, Cyborg match-up? Also, I got out zoned by Black Adam. His low lightning is safe from full screen and he can punish FB/boulder with that or lightning cloud. Patient BAs can outzone Sinestro... I've been a Sinestro main for a while but thinking bout switching up because these match-ups are getting redunkulous.
Scorpion is 4-6 or 5-5 and takes time to learn

Cyborg gets stomped by sinestro 7-3

ba is 4-6 or 5-5 as well and again take time

deathstroke is 5-5 or 6-4 sin favor.

In time ill post match up videos - but im pretty secretive leading up till evo

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
We havent played in forever

How you doing?
Getting frustrated with online play. Since Deathstroke's nerf, I've been concentrating on his frame-traps and pressure game, which are both amazing, but it's very difficult to get any of it to work online. Even something as simple as going into f23 from a j3 cross-up (or getting a j3 cross-up to connect...) can be incredibly difficult and get me blown up online, when it's something I don't even have to think about offline. How about you?

Pig Of The Hut

Getting frustrated with online play. Since Deathstroke's nerf, I've been concentrating on his frame-traps and pressure game, which are both amazing, but it's very difficult to get any of it to work online. Even something as simple as going into f23 from a j3 cross-up (or getting a j3 cross-up to connect...) can be incredibly difficult and get me blown up online, when it's something I don't even have to think about offline. How about you?
just neck deep in practice mental mode for evo and tourneys

Looking to give myself the best chance i can

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
still having trouble against DS, and against NW. What are some good basic strategies? ive been having trouble getting help lately :(

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I really think that Sinestro does incredibly well against Hawkgirl. We seem to have an answer to everything he does except maybe mace charge at the end of a blockstring (From fullscreen you can FB it on reaction), but that's not too bad since you block and go back to neutral just like everyone else.

I would say HG's worst matchups are probably Sinestro and Lex. Between Lex's godlike j3 and his armor trait, she can't really do much to him. She doesn't have the tools to make him lose the armor before he gets to her, and she has very few multi hit attacks to eat the armor.

I really think that Sinestro does incredibly well against Hawkgirl. We seem to have an answer to everything he does except maybe mace charge at the end of a blockstring (From fullscreen you can FB it on reaction), but that's not too bad since you block and go back to neutral just like everyone else.

I would say HG's worst matchups are probably Sinestro and Lex. Between Lex's godlike j3 and his armor trait, she can't really do much to him. She doesn't have the tools to make him lose the armor before he gets to her, and she has very few multi hit attacks to eat the armor.
how can abuse her(HG) with senstro that is the only reason why i'm learning her in the first place i need to learn how to kick her ass because i can't beat her online at all with the characters i normally use

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Well, if she ever goes into flight you can boulder on reaction. Due to the loop she does, you will still hit her even if she does mace charge assuming you reacted fast enough to her being in flight. Boulder actually shuts down a lot of her air zoning options, and between that and FB, she is forced to approach you.

Now HG has a solid rushdown game. Her WoE pressure can be nasty, and many HG's will use WoE at the end of blockstrings to make themselves safe and continue pressuring you. Unfortunately for her, this doesn't work on Sinestro. If you B13 when she starts WoE, you actually move with her and when her WoE invulnerability wears off, she finds herself standing in a B1. Now admittedly, she can do Mace Charge at the end of her blockstring as well, but if you're holding back for B13, you can actually just input the B1; if she WoE you hit her but if she mace charges it actually hits before her previous blockstuns wear off so the move doesn't come out and you stay blocking, but now you're back to a neutral position.

If she takes to the air near you, D2, standing 3 and DF2 are amazing AAs against her. If she's trying to do divekick shenanigans to you on wakeup, just wakeup with DF2 and you'll win every time.

And oh god when you get trait she has literally 0 safe options anymore.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I'm a Sinestro player but I play against a good HG fairly often (Well, played. He refuses to do that matchup anymore.).