What's new

Since gear is a thing now...what kind of gear abilities do you want to see?

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Gear is a thing now. Its going through development, constant balancing and its something that is meant to keep the game active and popular with a demographic outside the FGC as well as potentially within it.

So I felt that this is a very good time for folks to try to get some excitement going for this by listing what sorts of interesting abilities you would like for some kinds of gear to give you and whether or not you would hope for it to be balanced for competitive play modes or just something wild to play with in the other modes.

So have at it.Make up some gear! Whether its something that makes your character dash forward during D2, shoot horizontal fireballs during J2, or even give you projectile reflection on dash lets hear it folks. Get creative, have fun, and remember to list if your hope for gear ability is one you'd like to see tooled to work in the FGC stuff or just the casual stuff for funsies.

Lets all imagine the possibilities and fun combinations we can come up with here and see if we can't get some entertaining ideas bouncing.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Atomic luck armor: If you get 50/50'd and guess right, you have a chance to instantly take out one of their health bars.

Seems fair to me.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
  • Winged Shoes-Gain an airdash (MB airdash is an airdodge)
  • Frost gloves-gain Killer Frost's ice grab
  • Magnetic bands- pull your opponent towards you like Lex
  • Offspring-Plasticman's son bounces across the screen as a slow moving and irritating projectile eating up space
I see a lot of potential for fun with these. Gear that lets you call for backup in the form of other stuff that'll fly by like an assist move (like Cyrax's bombs for example) sound fun to me.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
It would be great to have a gear that changes the trait completely or changes some properties of trait.

I made a detailed post in Wonder Woman speculation thread explaining how they can give her gear which changes her trait from sword and shield to axe or dual swords.

It would be great if Gear for her involves a weapon of choice or Gear changes her trait to a different weapon.

For example Gear changes her trait stance from sword and shield to dual swords.

spear and shield

Gundao

Two axes

Atomic wonder woman's chainsaw

Or she takes off her bracelets and goes berserker.

[/QUOTE]

It would be lots fun to try out new traits for all characters.

They can give Aquaman hook hand or water hand as gear or change his trident to a Dead Sea king's trident or Orm's trident.

Last edited:

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Cyborg:
Stretchy arms
Weaponised limbs (shotgun, blade, electric wires)
Boom tubes

Flash:
Afterimages
Ability to generate clones
Speed steal

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I like the idea of each character having base stats and just abilities linked to gear.. the idea of stats getting increased dose not appeal. I hate the idea of a level 10 Superman vs a level 20 Grodd, so Grodd has more Defence, Attack.. etc etc...

... but I think actual modifications to how the character plays on gear is a cool idea... sort of like a customisable variation system. Maybe even some gear having the same effect so there is some aesthetic choices you can make instead of being "forced" to use that crown as it gives you a teleport. So gear giving new specials, maybe even strings and normals imo is a really awesome idea.. I just do not like the idea of more health, or damage mitigation on gear and stuff like that.

My Picks for cool ideas for gear... (not ordered just as I think of them)
  • Add Teleport or other form of special to increase mobility
  • Add Command Throw
  • Modify Normals (say remove an over head and in its place have a mid)
  • Add a zoning type special
  • Add / Change Weapon (give Aquaman a trident, or change to the spear hand)
Basically what I hope the gear system will be is a customisable version of the variation system we have now. Oh you like Cassie Cage Insta-Air Guns but also like Spec Ops... well you put on a "head gear item" that is the "mic" and put on a "Weapon gear item" that is a set of "guns". Allowing players to "build" a move list ontop of the normals really excites me... but year.. health and defence bonuses and stuff.. I think that is a terrible idea.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

I really hope the affixes attached to the gear will be stuff like what's being mentioned in here. I'm afraid that it's mainly going to be base stats (strength, health and whatever the third one was, I forgot), buffs to already existing moves (damage increase, cooldown reduction, increased duration, etc) and maybe Set gear. Set gear would give you more bonuses beyond what it already provides with the more pieces of the set (2, 4, 6 pieces, etc). It could be something like what's been mentioned above (gives you an entirely new ability of some sort), but I think it would just be an insane buff to a stat or a special ability.

However, if it's similar to what's been suggested so far, it's going to be absolutely insane what kind of combinations are going to come from it.

I'll be happy with either one because I absolutely LOVE loot-based games.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Asides from stats, I would like to see Gears that give you new EX-specials, for example Batman could meter burn his batarang to make it come back and hit the opponent one more time ala MKX kung Lao or MK9 Jade ex-specials.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Asides from stats, I would like to see Gears that give you new EX-specials, for example Batman could meter burn his batarang to make it come back an hit the opponent one more time ala MKX kung Lao or MK9 Jade ex-specials.
Something like that could be a set bonus that I mentioned. It would be perfect.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
It would be great to have a gear that changes the trait completely or changes some properties of trait.

It would be lots fun to try out new traits for all characters.
Great idea. We could even imagine types of traits, like defensive, offensive or mix. For example, Atrocitus currently can make the cat shield him (defense) or attack the opponent (offensive). I can imagine a gear for atrocitus that replaces the cat's fireball for lets say mines so the trait becomes full defensive mode.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
What about gear that extends the duration of special moves? Trident rush should last for 8 hits instead of 4 and EX for 4000 instead of the usual 200.

d3v

SRK
...and remember to list if your hope for gear ability is one you'd like to see tooled to work in the FGC stuff or just the casual stuff for funsies...
The first part is pointless now that we know that the tournament mode (or whatever it's called) won't use gear.

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
I'm just already mad at the buyable loot that they haven't mentioned ofcourse but always takes place in loot games. Everyone thought dlc was giving a cost advantage -just wait.

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
Gear system is just a way for them to jump on the pay-to-win bandwagon and become money-grubbing whores like Activision.

TamedLizard

Buff George
I too thought that gear will only enhance certain character statistics like Health, Defense, Ability (special/super move damage), Base Damage, ect.

But I really do like the idea mentioned above that acquiring a whole set grants you set bonuses. Cooldown reduction, meter/health recovery, penetration (vs highly defensive builds), special "EX" properties for certain moves ect. That would be amazing.

All in all, I'm heavily excited about this aspect of game. LOOT FTW!!

*Edit- Secondary thought - grinding will most likely be a headache at times though considering that you can be rewarded with gear that's for a different character than the one you're trying to level up. So that kinda blows.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
The first part is pointless now that we know that the tournament mode (or whatever it's called) won't use gear.
I can imagine an unbalanced tournament mode, so people could agree (I doubt it but hope so) in let some some specific gears be used for some specific chars.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Gear system is just a way for them to jump on the pay-to-win bandwagon and become money-grubbing whores like Activision.
It depends how they implement it. In MK9 and MKX there were stuff you buy with coins earned by playing without real money, but you're probably right, more so after we see the microtransactions introduced in MKX with the easy fatalities and all that.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Looking at the gear in the gameplay trailers, it looks like it's just going to be stat modifiers and not ability modifiers.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The Eye of Helios - Grants any wearer Kotal Kahn's Sun God complete moveset