What's new

Since gear is a thing now...what kind of gear abilities do you want to see?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I would prefer cosmetic stuff similar to Supergirls eye lasers turning purple.

LIke Reverse Flash gear for Flash that turns his yellow lightning effects red.
Or Shazam has armor that turns his lightning from blue to yellow.

Different color rings for Hal that change the visual of all his attacks similar to his yellow lantern costume.

d3v

SRK
I can imagine an unbalanced tournament mode, so people could agree (I doubt it but hope so) in let some some specific gears be used for some specific chars.
Except that defeats the point of the tournament mode in the first place. Which is having a mode where without gear upgrades and modifications so that all the players are at a level playing field (and don't have to grind for stuff).

In any case, it's not up to people to "agree", because Ed Boon already confirmed the mode (in other words, it's not just people playing and agreeing to not use gear).

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I hoping that not all gear is clunky looming armor. I hope that there is some casual gear that I can dress my ladies in

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Gear is a thing now. Its going through development, constant balancing and its something that is meant to keep the game active and popular with a demographic outside the FGC as well as potentially within it.

So I felt that this is a very good time for folks to try to get some excitement going for this by listing what sorts of interesting abilities you would like for some kinds of gear to give you and whether or not you would hope for it to be balanced for competitive play modes or just something wild to play with in the other modes.

So have at it.Make up some gear! Whether its something that makes your character dash forward during D2, shoot horizontal fireballs during J2, or even give you projectile reflection on dash lets hear it folks. Get creative, have fun, and remember to list if your hope for gear ability is one you'd like to see tooled to work in the FGC stuff or just the casual stuff for funsies.

Lets all imagine the possibilities and fun combinations we can come up with here and see if we can't get some entertaining ideas bouncing.
This article seems to confim that some gear will grant new special moves.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I don't see NRS as money hungry, when it's going to be 100% OPTIONAL. :rolleyes:

I like having options and like the krypt unlock(maybe some people don't have 24/7 to play the game or simply like the game but have trouble unlocking stuff?) So they figure fuck it, buying it. Isn't that their choice to spend that money to get something in exchange?

This gear system is the same thing there will be people who grind it out unlocking stuff, but if you're going online say 3 days a week vs. people who play literally every day and first month in you're facing guys in the 70's-90's leveled up and you're a 20 lol, you're probably not going to compete very well even Boon said himself for that mode it's not so much about balance but introducing building your character up, something new(of course he also said there will be a barebones tourney or competitive mode etc for those who don't want any gear nonsense) The system will be fun I'm sure, I'll check it out but I'll also play the normal mode for when I'm more serious or want more balanced gameplay/matches etc

Now as far as the modifications for the gear from an artistic perspective, I'm all for it. In fact I hope like pig said in his Q and A video, I do hope we see some kind of option where we can alternate and modify the colors of EVERY character however we want and save it for online and tourney play but without the gear differences with offense, defense etc that would be freaking sweet. I'm sure some players don't care about the gears or the coloring their characters however they want but a lot of people do, and it would bring a certain uniqueness to the game as well and not just seeing the same costumes over and over, which don't get me wrong they usually look nice it would just be nice to watch a stream tourney or go online and see 10 different kinds of Batman's entirely than the same 2 or or 3 costumes typically used.

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
I don't see NRS as money hungry, when it's going to be 100% OPTIONAL. :rolleyes:

I like having options and like the krypt unlock(maybe some people don't have 24/7 to play the game or simply like the game but have trouble unlocking stuff?) So they figure fuck it, buying it. Isn't that their choice to spend that money to get something in exchange?

This gear system is the same thing there will be people who grind it out unlocking stuff, but if you're going online say 3 days a week vs. people who play literally every day and first month in you're facing guys in the 70's-90's leveled up and you're a 20 lol, you're probably not going to compete very well even Boon said himself for that mode it's not so much about balance but introducing building your character up, something new(of course he also said there will be a barebones tourney or competitive mode etc for those who don't want any gear nonsense) The system will be fun I'm sure, I'll check it out but I'll also play the normal mode for when I'm more serious or want more balanced gameplay/matches etc

Now as far as the modifications for the gear from an artistic perspective, I'm all for it. In fact I hope like pig said in his Q and A video, I do hope we see some kind of option where we can alternate and modify the colors of EVERY character however we want and save it for online and tourney play but without the gear differences with offense, defense etc that would be freaking sweet. I'm sure some players don't care about the gears or the coloring their characters however they want but a lot of people do, and it would bring a certain uniqueness to the game as well and not just seeing the same costumes over and over, which don't get me wrong they usually look nice it would just be nice to watch a stream tourney or go online and see 10 different kinds of Batman's entirely than the same 2 or or 3 costumes typically used.
*sigh*
They tailor it in such a way that the grind is irritating, they literally have people who design a system where you feel compelled to pay.

It's essentially gambling and it should be illegal.
Why people can't see this is beyond me.
Just look at the COD system or GTA..
Die hard ignorant fanboy syndrome I guess.

d3v

SRK
*sigh*
They tailor it in such a way that the grind is irritating, they literally have people who design a system where you feel compelled to pay.

Because it's optional.

The assumption is that as a competitive player, you won't care about the gear and just play the "tournament mode" and practice for that.

SinkFla

Noob
*sigh*

I see a lot of this sentiment reiterated over on NeoGaf but being a lurker there I can't address it, but I will here. The introduction of gear makes sense from a business to casual gamer standpoint. Sure, there is likely to be a brutal grind for better gear with better attributes. Yes, there will probably be microtransactions to get gear quicker than it would take to grind (I think it will be purchasable random loot crates if anything). If you are not down with the gear system or the microtransactions in the game then NRS has you covered because there will DEFINITELY be game modes on and offline focusing on balanced (lol NRS) gameplay excluding gear and their stats as well. Some people seem to be afraid that NRS is going to completely abandon the competitive community and its pro players with an RNG shit show but when have they ever given anyone that impression before? Hell, they donate a shit ton of money to almost every tournament including ESL to help keep players both casual and pro happy and the tournament scene afloat. If you don't want to play with gear then you don't have to, plain and simple. And remember all the gear will be attainable THROUGH ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME, which I would imagine anyone who is an Injustice/MKX/NRS fan would do so anyway. From a business standpoint, its an obvious way to fund future DLC and tournaments to keep the game alive and to a filthy casual (Mr. 137th each week in ESL guy) such as myself, there is a perpetual loop of fresh content, rewards and new experiences to keep the game alive for a long, LONG time.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Except that defeats the point of the tournament mode in the first place. Which is having a mode where without gear upgrades and modifications so that all the players are at a level playing field (and don't have to grind for stuff).

In any case, it's not up to people to "agree", because Ed Boon already confirmed the mode (in other words, it's not just people playing and agreeing to not use gear).
Yeah, but I really doubt the Tournament mode will be balanced, even after all the patches, like MK9, IGAU and MKX; so the community could use gears to balance the game if necessary.

d3v

SRK
Yeah, but I really doubt the Tournament mode will be balanced, even after all the patches, like MK9, IGAU and MKX; so the community could use gears to balance the game if necessary.
Because at the end of the day. There will always be strong characters and weak characters. Might as well just accept that. Hasn't stopped other games with iffy balance from being called tournament classics.

Besides, this isn't Smash. The kind of community picking and balancing is exactly the kind of thing the the FGC doesn't like about that community.

MK_Al

Noob
The only thing I hope for is that every gear comes with a downside in order to be balanced... gaining special moves / defence / doulbe chip dmg without downsides would be ridiculous

trufenix

bye felicia
The only thing I hope for is that every gear comes with a downside in order to be balanced... gaining special moves / defence / doulbe chip dmg without downsides would be ridiculous
The downside is you have to play the game to get it. Does nobody believe in being rewarded for playing a game anymore?

MK_Al

Noob
The downside is you have to play the game to get it. Does nobody believe in being rewarded for playing a game anymore?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being rewarded for playing the game. For me its just not a good mechanik for a fg. If it turns out that hordes of players have way better gear because my gaming time is limited the whole thing will be useless for me.

E

Eldriken

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being rewarded for playing the game. For me its just not a good mechanik for a fg. If it turns out that hordes of players have way better gear because my gaming time is limited the whole thing will be useless for me.
While I see your concern, that is not necessarily true when it comes to RNG. You could find something in an hour that someone has been after for six months or more.

trufenix

bye felicia
How is this "mechanic" any different from the knowledge / skill reward you already get from hours of matches and lab work?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
*sigh*

I guess as oppose to the diehard hater syndrome?

It's still optional and nobody is forcing you to buy it, don't like it don't buy the game. Simple. You can't have everything you want "easy way to unlock" stuff but at the same time you don't want to grind it out (sounds lazy) yet you're against them offering it to people for money? Yeah, flawed logic to me. If they were forcing us to buy it I could see your point like ohh Capcom with "real endings" and "on disc costumes" but that's not the case.

So wait, no other game makes you work for upgrades? I don't see it as gambling at all, gambling you're literally taking chances 99% of the time throwing your money away, this is optional and options are good. Wait, are you trying to say COD and GTA aren't greedy at all? Cause most feel COD is beyond milked at this point...

I don't see how being a fanboy or not has relevance here, sure I enjoy MK and DC but it's just logical common sense lol since this is again optional MT's. The way NRS games work in this regard are far better than their competitors regarding optional MT's and I don't believe they're just going to abandon their hardcore tourney/competitive players, I enjoy playing competitively sometimes but other times I enjoy building my own stuff in games.

I see a lot of this sentiment reiterated over on NeoGaf but being a lurker there I can't address it, but I will here. The introduction of gear makes sense from a business to casual gamer standpoint. Sure, there is likely to be a brutal grind for better gear with better attributes. Yes, there will probably be microtransactions to get gear quicker than it would take to grind (I think it will be purchasable random loot crates if anything). If you are not down with the gear system or the microtransactions in the game then NRS has you covered because there will DEFINITELY be game modes on and offline focusing on balanced (lol NRS) gameplay excluding gear and their stats as well. Some people seem to be afraid that NRS is going to completely abandon the competitive community and its pro players with an RNG shit show but when have they ever given anyone that impression before? Hell, they donate a shit ton of money to almost every tournament including ESL to help keep players both casual and pro happy and the tournament scene afloat. If you don't want to play with gear then you don't have to, plain and simple. And remember all the gear will be attainable THROUGH ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME, which I would imagine anyone who is an Injustice/MKX/NRS fan would do so anyway. From a business standpoint, its an obvious way to fund future DLC and tournaments to keep the game alive and to a filthy casual (Mr. 137th each week in ESL guy) such as myself, there is a perpetual loop of fresh content, rewards and new experiences to keep the game alive for a long, LONG time.

@d3v

I agree completely with both of you. Since Boon already confirmed there will be a separate tourney/competitive mode, this should ease people's concerns with the gear coming into play. I never understood why people complain about optional MT's that you can just unlock for free by playing the game, then being like "well I dont wanna grind, too hard etc" lol then why play the game to begin with, right?

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Besides, this isn't Smash. The kind of community picking and balancing is exactly the kind of thing the the FGC doesn't like about that community.
I don't think so. Anyway, if they want a properly balanced game, knowing NRS, maybe they should look at gears for a last hope at least.