What's new

Question - Sonya Blade Should Sonya's aerial attacks get nerfed?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
They've already nerfed her jump in significantly from pre-XL. Almost the entire cast can d2 her out of her jump ins.

Yes, Sonya has good aerial movement; that's part of what makes her a good character. I don't see why this bit specifically needs to be nerfed. If you have issues with demo, nerf demo.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Dive kick leads to a full combo, if I block it I should get a braindead easy punish 100% of the time. None of this, "oh she hit you low sorry Bo Rai you got to poke if you want a punish and even then get ready to time that shit." Especially when she has her god like 50/50 jailing jump in punch.

And yea, when you play a character with a good forward moving punish it's not a huge deal. But not every character has that stuff. Hell even then I find it hard to punish a super low dive kick with Tremor and he has one of the best punishing normals in the game. And good luck if you don't have stamina... Shit is dumb, needs to be worse on block and could afford to be worse on whiff. This kind of stuff enables the ugliest playstyles.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Dive kick leads to a full combo, if I block it I should get a braindead easy punish 100% of the time. None of this, "oh she hit you low sorry Bo Rai you got to poke if you want a punish and even then get ready to time that shit." Especially when she has her god like 50/50 jailing jump in punch.

And yea, when you play a character with a good forward moving punish it's not a huge deal. But not every character has that stuff. Hell even then I find it hard to punish a super low dive kick with Tremor and he has one of the best punishing normals in the game. And good luck if you don't have stamina... Shit is dumb, needs to be worse on block and could afford to be worse on whiff. This kind of stuff enables the ugliest playstyles.
If the Sonya player spaces it correctly so the divekick hits your toes, it should be harder to punish. That's kinda the point of spacing lol. It's still punishable even at max distance, it's just harder to punish (as it should be; that's the Sonya player's reward for impeccable spacing).

Also, "I don't like a play style so no one should be allowed to play like that" isn't a valid argument.

Reactions: jmt

Marinjuana

It should be punishable regardless if you space it, it's a full comboing dive kick on block. And don't act like aiming it low is rocket science.

Also, "I don't like a play style so no one should be allowed to play like that" isn't a valid argument.
It is when that playstyle consists of braindead jump ins and quasi safe divekicks.

@jmt Be mad about it.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I understand what Scott was trying to explain: don't fix what's not broken
Sonya's jump 1 is stupid and needs a little nerf, I think it should be active for 3-5f less. Sometimes I feel like I press jump 1 on the way up and it still manages to connect on my opponent's stand blocking and jail into my 50/50
Demolition is gonna get some nerf next patch, let dive kick the way it is now. She needs mobility on dive kick and arc kick to deal with zoner, and both aren't THAT safe. Dive kick under knee is very hard to space correctly, and its recovery was nerfed twice. Arc kick is just...meh
And you're a Flame Fist play you're supposed to zone her to death right?
If you want to complain about dive kicks, go the Kung Lao or Cybersub forums. Those are truely annoying, extremely fast startup and instant recovery. But they're not top tier, so "Sonya is top tier" is just your reason to complain about her not-so-broken dive kick

Marinjuana

Again, no. Is it annoying? Perhaps. Is it broken? No.
Just because it isn't broken doesn't mean it wouldn't make the game better to change it. It's annoyingly dumb, so I want them to change it.

Learn to d2 or punish a move that's at least -15 on block.
Ahh the option select. So it's an easy punish 100% of the time? Then what's the problem, if you are getting punished every time why do you care if it becomes more punishable?

With really good spacing Bo Rai Cho can't even punish it with his 10 frame belly bash or his 11 frame puke spit, possibly because of the distance the kick leaves you at. With that spacing he might not even be able to punish it at all outside of Barts. But yea just d2 em right! Regardless any decently spaced dive kick is a bitch to punish with some characters, annoying with others, and easy with some, which just doesn't make sense. I'm asking for a few frames to aid the punish on a divekick that grants a full combo. I don't know why that's the end of the world.

@YoloRoll1stHit Laos's divekick is easy as hell to punish on block. Cyber Sub's dive kick does 7% dmg and is much easier to punish on block then Sonya's. Which is the main thing I'm talking about, on block divekicks.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
And you're a Flame Fist play you're supposed to zone her to death right?
It's not easy to zone her in FF because FF's fireballs has small hitbox, so, the regular fireball and EX fireball will avoid even when she is crouching blocking. Air fireball... small hitbox and her hitbox is small... a little bit hard to do the air firebal in the perfect time against her, and I better hit it on her, because if I miss the air fireball, she will punish me very easily.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
If you have a good uppercut like Cage or Liu you can react to her jumping and anti air her every time. I know because I do it during my matches lol. Never said the move wasn't dumb at all, obviously it's hella oppressive but Liu has an easy time anti airing her JI1 because his uppercut is amazing.

EDIT: My internet got upgraded hella, we should play SF sometime man :)
Man people know me for not being a downplayer but come on Cages is no where near as good as Liu's, it ain't bad but but I would not put it up there with one of the best I can probably name 15 uppercuts better than is

Tremor
Jax
Mileena
Tanya
Alien
Dvorah
Sonya
Scorpion
Liu
Kung Jin
Jason
Leatherface
Shinnok
Ermac
Takeda
Kano

And maybe more :p

Can do the job though just requires more precise angling and timing

Well anyway I'm off topic sorry lol

On topic
At the highest level is like KLs Spin nerf, if it got slightly made easier punish wouldn't be a big deal as it should be getting punished in anyway so it's redundant

Last edited:

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
It's not easy to zone her in FF because FF's fireballs has small hitbox, so, the regular fireball and EX fireball will avoid even when she is crouching blocking. Air fireball... small hitbox and her hitbox is small... a little bit hard to do the air firebal in the perfect time against her, and I better hit it on her, because if I miss the air fireball, she will punish me very easily.
Just because Kitana's fan have big hitbox doesn't mean everything else has small hitbox and can't be used to zone. FF's fireball is similar to Mileena's sai, except fireball startup is faster to make up for the longer recovery. You mix 3 types of fireball with dragon roar and keep walking back (top 3 walk speed in the game), Sonya can only punish your zoning on a hard read, something like "because if I miss the air fireball, she will punish me very easily." should never happen
And I'm sorry I have to say again her dive kick and arc kick are fine. Nerfing Demo and jump 1 are enough, don't turn her into Tanya 2.0

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Man people know me for not being a downplayer but come on Cages is no where near as good as Liu's, it ain't bad but but I would not put it up there with one of the best I can probably name 15 uppercuts better than is

Tremor
Jax
Mileena
Tanya
Alien
Dvorah
Sonya
Scorpion
Liu
Kung Jin
Jason
Leatherface
Shinnok
Ermac
Takeda
Kano

And maybe more :p

Can do the job though just requires more precise angling and timing

Well anyway I'm off topic sorry lol

On topic
At the highest level is like KLs Spin nerf, if it got slightly made easier punish wouldn't be a big deal as it should be getting punished in anyway so it's redundant
I'm not going to lie and pretend I know what all of those uppercuts are frame or hitbox wise but I've been playing A-List for like a year and I think his D2 is an amazing AA normal, very rarely loses.

Amplified$hotz

Done with MK1. Stop supporting a scam company

Exactly this, I shouldn't only get a special move punish where she gets a full meter less combo of she lands it. Lol

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I'm not going to lie and pretend I know what all of those uppercuts are frame or hitbox wise but I've been playing A-List for like a year and I think his D2 is an amazing AA normal, very rarely loses.
His d2 has very bad range. I don't play Johnny but my friends have never succeeded d2ing my jump ins.

Amplified$hotz

Done with MK1. Stop supporting a scam company
And d2 Sonya's jump in isn't as easy as it seems cause the threat of divekick is there which is trickier to anti air IMO. Maybe I should just practice it more.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
I never said its not good but all those I mentioned are better as it I said it does the job when situated right but it those lose to a lot of stuff that other chars beat like reptiles cross jump

I think the issue is speed(harder to react and causes tracking issues when crossed up and hotbox could have a bigger collision radius yeah it's possible to AA Reptile in practice before you video quote me but in a real game it's a huge risk :D

By I'm agreeing it does the job and it is no way bad just not in the same league as LKs that's all I'm saying

Maybe I'm just whack at using it and your reaction and spacing makes up with that I lack but if I Play any of those others chars I can D2 consistently for day , why is that

Last edited: