What's new

Should MK11 Be an MK9 Legacy Sequel?

REO

Undead
Is dash blocking looking ugly really a main concern? I never heard anyone during MK9 complaining "wow dash blocking looks SO ugly, NRS really needs to address it soon!" in any of the laundry list of changes for the game during the time, and there was a LOT of concern lists.

Technically, you could also make similar arguments for things in just about any post MK9 NRS games, like many characters walking like slugs (and not like they're in a fight for their life). Shoutouts to Ares walking slower than Metal Mario in Super Mario 64 underwater. Incredibly displeasing and visually silly for a "God of War".

Why does Kung Lao walk in MKX like a turtle and not at the walk speed of a graceful shaolin? Not being able to walk out of the way from a near full screen string is not very aesthetically pleasing.

Why is Predator's main form of ground movement in MKX jumping like a basketball back and fourth or sprinting faster than Cassie Cage? Seeing Predator's goofy jump constantly is not very aesthetically pleasing.

How is Kitana in MKX back walk tapping to move faster than back walking not the ugliest set of animations ever? Seeing Kitana's legs and body shudder in small bursts of animation cuts is not very aesthetically pleasing.

Obviously the animations and artwork in the games created nowadays from NRS is 10x more amazing than MK9's 2010 development product. There is no denying that and it is clear. But how could you seemingly think that if NRS were to create a game similar to MK9's engine in today's time, it wouldn't have the AMAZING artwork, animations, and theme to go along with it? You really think NRS doesn't have the technology to make dash blocking "look good"?

And why are we flaming players for liking or wanting to play MK9? TYM is supposed to be the central hub for all MK and NRS games competitively. You start telling players what they can't or can like, and then you lose those players from possibly ever coming back to the site or from telling other players to come to TYM.

If someone wants to play MK1, MK3, or INJ1, or damn even Special Forces MK, let them. Jeez. And people wonder why our games die so quickly. I see the most amount of self hate towards NRS games on this site than sites that don't even cater to NRS...

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Is dash blocking looking ugly really a main concern? I never heard anyone during MK9 complaining "wow dash blocking looks SO ugly, NRS really needs to address it soon!" in any of the laundry list of changes for the game during the time, and there was a LOT of concern lists.
Dash blocking looking ugly is the actual legit reason they gave as to why they removed it.

Rip of Tekken fame talked about it on Aris's podcast when MKX was first revealed, as he was talking to the devs at E3 when it was playable behind closed doors.

Basically NRS hated the way it looked and didn't want it in future games.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Technically, you could also make similar arguments for things in just about any post MK9 NRS games, like many characters walking like slugs (and not like they're in a fight for their life). Shoutouts to Ares walking slower than Metal Mario in Super Mario 64 underwater. Incredibly displeasing and visually silly for a "God of War".

Why does Kung Lao walk in MKX like a turtle and not at the walk speed of a graceful shaolin? Not being able to walk out of the way from a near full screen string is not very aesthetically pleasing.

Why is Predator's main form of ground movement in MKX jumping like a basketball back and fourth or sprinting faster than Cassie Cage? Seeing Predator's goofy jump constantly is not very aesthetically pleasing.

How is Kitana in MKX back walk tapping to move faster than back walking not the ugliest set of animations ever? Seeing Kitana's legs and body shudder in small bursts of animation cuts is not very aesthetically pleasing.

Obviously the animations and artwork in the games created nowadays from NRS is 10x more amazing than MK9's 2010 development product. There is no denying that and it is clear. But how could you seemingly think that if NRS were to create a game similar to MK9's engine in today's time, it wouldn't have the AMAZING artwork, animations, and theme to go along with it? You really think NRS doesn't have the technology to make dash blocking "look good"?

And why are we flaming players for liking or wanting to play MK9? TYM is supposed to be the central hub for all MK and NRS games competitively. You start telling players what they can't or can like, and then you lose those players from possibly ever coming back to the site or from telling other players to come to TYM.

If someone wants to play MK1, MK3, or INJ1, or damn even Special Forces MK, let them. Jeez. And people wonder why our games die so quickly. I see the most amount of self hate towards NRS games on this site than sites that don't even cater to NRS...
I think the point wasn't to tell people they can or can't like MK9 -- the point (and it's been the point for more than 3 years running now) is that MK9 is not coming back; so people need to accept newer games, and advocate for specific things they want in them.

No one at WB Games, after selling millions of copies of the latest MK, is going to come to TYM, read 3 posts and say "Let's greenlight a new version of our game from 2011" (and Ed wouldn't be in favor of it anyway, as he tries to break new ground with every MK). So peoples' effort is probably better spent just communicating with the designers about specifics in the new game.

No one is going to take "bring MK9 back" seriously, and yet people refuse to let it drop and will probably be making these posts still in 2024 (along with Tom saying he feels great, figured out what he needs to do and is coming back to place 1st-3rd at Combo Breaker 2024 ;)).

Last edited:

REO

Undead
I know Paulo disliked it but majority of the community didn't find it ugly or one of the downfalls during MK9. Dash blocking technically wasn't meant to be in MK9 as it was a high level in-game exploit similar to wave-dashing in Melee. Dash blocking gave just about every character fluid movement and fast ground movement for both advancing and retreating.

In the early MK9 trailers I remember them saying dash blocking was there to help string together combos, attacks, and do an attack after a forward dash which was the main intent. Players started utilizing it for OTHER purposes like maximizing their movement in neutral or during footsies.

Same thing applied to the whole poking and counter poking meta that wasn't supposed to be the way it was in MK9 but ended up being like that by pure coincidence. Also same thing happened in MK9 with accidental anti-airs by almost every character's standing jabs and low pokes being a very prominent anti-air by accident.

Basically MK9 was a more enjoyable game at a higher level by a complete mistake and due to many of the things prevalent in higher level play that weren't supposed to exist in the first place. The movement, anti-airs, poking meta, etc.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
They should continue their trend of creating unique game for MK rather then building on legacy.

aj1701

Noob
MK9 is dead. People need to get over this and move on -- it's been 6 years.

It'd be more constructive to just say what you want in MK11:

You want footsies? Ask for footsies. Don't like the run button? Ask for a game where mobility is reasonable instead of insane.

(Don't ask for cancelling dashes with block -- you're not getting that back ;))

If Ed Boon is known for anything, it is constantly moving forward and changing. You're won't get MK9 again, just like you're not going to get MK3 again, or MKDA or any other game. Focus on the future.
Its easier to say "make MK9 with a few minor tweaks." You're right that that's probably asking too much from Boon, but lets be real. That constant changing almost killed the franchise. MK1-3 were fairly similar (especially 1 & 2), 3 is when crap started being added because they "had" to change something, and then MK4 until MK 2011 were garbage. So I think there's a lot to be said for Boon changing his ways and taking a fun game and turning it to crap because he wants something different. But as MKX shows, I think we're already down that path already unfortunately.

One other thing I'd like to see would be for the next Mortal Kombat to launch on PC as well as consoles; and to be ported by a competent developer from the get-go.

For me personally there's been no reason to purchase a current generation console, and it would be difficult for me to justify one for a single game.

Don't mistake me, I'm not console bashing or PC master racing or anything like that at all, I've enjoyed both consoles and PC's immensely at different points in my life, but by releasing on console and PC, you open things up to a larger player-base.

I think NRS should go the Super Mario Bros - Bizarro Sequel That Was SMB 2 - Mario Bros 3 approach to the design of MK11 and have it fall closer in like with MK9 than MKX/MKXL.

In spite of the obvious flaws the game had (netcode, player 1 advantage, Meter Glitch, Kabal/Kenshi/Cyrax, etc.), it has always seemed to me that from a sheer love of the game standpoint that MK9's layout/mechanics/hype factor have always been favored over MKX's.

I believe that the builders should let what was the rebirth of the run mechanic run its course, bring back the dashblocking and juggle-crazy maelstrom that was MK9-style Kombat, and go back to what started this entire reboot in the first place. In the event it ends up being the last title for a while to come (since, if rumors are to believed, this is going to be the Deception/Armageddon arc of this timeline, after which there is no known MK lore or future to be debated), I think it would do well to send the game out on the wavelengths it reintroduced itself with.

Let's be real here: no one is going to miss run cancel combos.

Thoughts?
I agree with all this, MK9 had the best footsies of all NRS games, taking the crap aside, it was the best game they made, it was in 4 EVOS, MKX died too fast, the game changed too many times and people got bored.