What's new

Should MK11 Be an MK9 Legacy Sequel?

Israel

Noob
Overall, make the game better at being a game: teaching you how to get good at it. Thoughts?
Sounds good but these companies dont care to challenge and/or teach the casuals to get good at their game(s). They'd rather just make the approach of being better (or winning) an 'easier' approach. Thus, changes the game more for them, and to tell YOU to 'deal with it.' Just look at Mkx...Sfv..Mvci and the route they took. The changes they made were geared to make the casual player win easier. I believe in Mvci u can even set 1 button to do a whole combo? Thats the approach that wins over the majority of these companies.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
I'd like to see MK11 slowed down to where MK9 was atleast. The run option was one of the reasons i lost interest in MKX early on. With how much space a character could cover with their advancing normals/jump-ins alone, it made having a run button overkill IMO. Basically give back some breathing room.

trufenix

bye felicia
Sounds good but these companies dont care to challenge and/or teach the casuals to get good at their game(s). They'd rather just make the approach of being better (or winning) an 'easier' approach. Thus, changes the game more for them, and to tell YOU to 'deal with it.' Just look at Mkx...Sfv..Mvci and the route they took. The changes they made were geared to make the casual player win easier. I believe in Mvci u can even set 1 button to do a whole combo? Thats the approach that wins over the majority of these companies.
fun fact; nobody has ever won any tournament ever using the "make the casuals win easier" options. Not even SFxT.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
MK11 should just be a legacy game off MK9.

Everyone knows MK9 is like the heart of the NRS community and it’s what started this whole thing. All they have to do is fix the bugs, tweak the characters a bit, toss in some new/old ones, adds few new things, and BOOM, mk11.

I mean, look at games like GG and BB. They’ve been the same exact game since birth. All they do is tweak the game a bit and call is “GG/BB 2”. Tekken has essentially been the same game since T3. All they’ve done is update the graphics and add new characters while tweaking the previous ones, and add a new mechanic or 2.

I like how NRS wants to keep it different by making a new game different from the old one, but sometimes simplistic things is the best decision, hence why I2 is so good atm since they went legacy. Hopefully they do the same approach with MK11.
^^^^^ basically all of this + Eddy's take on the art direction. Yes x 100.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
No.. terrible idea.

NRS is pretty inovative for a fighting game company and one of Mortal Kombat's "things" is that it will have lots of new stuff. The idea of going back to MK9 is just a really bad idea.

Also, I think it is not likely at all. MK11 will some new stuff... I expect to see the removal of run, but a more advanced version of the gear system from IJ2.. and I hope we see some kind of improvement or redesign of the variation system.

Basially MK11, like every MK will be it own thing an a sequel to nothing

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
MK9 is dead. People need to get over this and move on -- it's been 6 years.

It'd be more constructive to just say what you want in MK11:

You want footsies? Ask for footsies. Don't like the run button? Ask for a game where mobility is reasonable instead of insane.

(Don't ask for cancelling dashes with block -- you're not getting that back ;))

If Ed Boon is known for anything, it is constantly moving forward and changing. You're won't get MK9 again, just like you're not going to get MK3 again, or MKDA or any other game. Focus on the future.
Tekken 6 came out a whole 10 years before Tekken 7. So who cares if it’s been 6 years. Stop being lame and let people have the discussion. If you didn’t like the game, fine. That’s you. PLENTY of others did and if we have the option to possibly see it come back in a legacy way, let us explore. No need to knock the hustle.
always a hater lol

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Things that would make it perfect: MK9's mobility/movement, but MKX's combat design. MAYBE bring back the Run button. Other than the death of Balanced, Lackey and Jax, a lot of characters by the end were great...but me personally, I'll take dashblocking every day of the week, especially if I don't have to worry about armored launchers anymore. And all it would take to make it a true to life reflection of Deception and Armageddon, the way MK9 was a fusion of the first three games, would be the aesthetics and music just like last time. MKD character select music, a Liu Kang/Kitana tagged up sub-boss, maybe even bring back the 6 colored koins. They could go bananas as long as they don't bring back death traps.

Moves like MK9, hits like MKX, combines enough old and new elements to stand out as MK11.

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
I dont think the run was a bad move, in fact I think it looks awesome!!

My main gripe with mkx is the amount of block stun, seems like forever

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I didn't play MK9 and I mostly liked MKX. Aesthetically, I think MK9 has a cooler atmosphere but most of the character designs, especially females, look like garbage.

What I would want is MKX without the run button, no stamina bar, toned down 50/50s, anti-airs, no double digit plus frames, no half screen mids, better zoning.

Last edited:

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
If anything MK11 won't be like either 9 or X.
This. Too many fighters are stagnant, insufferable slogs that fanboys love to hail as THE TRUE fighting game. NRS has always pushed to expand the experience of what a FG can/should be. I personally enjoy a spectacular beautiful mess than an impotent, safe reskin of a 20+ year old game.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
MK11 should just be a legacy game off MK9.

Everyone knows MK9 is like the heart of the NRS community and it’s what started this whole thing. All they have to do is fix the bugs, tweak the characters a bit, toss in some new/old ones, adds few new things, and BOOM, mk11.

I mean, look at games like GG and BB. They’ve been the same exact game since birth. All they do is tweak the game a bit and call is “GG/BB 2”. Tekken has essentially been the same game since T3. All they’ve done is update the graphics and add new characters while tweaking the previous ones, and add a new mechanic or 2.

I like how NRS wants to keep it different by making a new game different from the old one, but sometimes simplistic things is the best decision, hence why I2 is so good atm since they went legacy. Hopefully they do the same approach with MK11.
^this

NRS hit the jackpot with MK9 in terms of bringing the most enjoyable experience to the vast majority of MK fanbase. while the progressive thinking of evolving the game into a more refined version is appreciated, NRS need to understand that less is more.

Changing the core mechanics in each release will only alienate players of the previous release unless they enjoy the new mechanics and adjust to it. The pro players who were popular in mk9 but either retired, quit or moved on to another game after experiencing mkx are a living proof of that.

tl;dr Every release of MK doesn't have to feel like a whole new game, Keep the core mechanics that people loved the series for but improve everything else.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
^this

NRS hit the jackpot with MK9 in terms of bringing the most enjoyable experience to the vast majority of MK fanbase. while the progressive thinking of evolving the game into a more refined version is appreciated, NRS need to understand that less is more.

Changing the core mechanics in each release will only alienate players of the previous release unless they enjoy the new mechanics and adjust to it. The pro players who were popular in mk9 but either retired, quit or moved on to another game after experiencing mkx are a living proof of that.

tl;dr Every release of MK doesn't have to feel like a whole new game, Keep the core mechanics that people loved the series for but improve everything else.
I agree 100%.

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
I loved the run button reminded me of trilogy. Plus that moment when you hit run cancel combos doe.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I honesty didn’t mind the run button. Idk why people hated it so much. I do prefer dash blocking tho

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I honesty didn’t mind the run button. Idk why people hated it so much. I do prefer dash blocking tho
Because in a lot of situations, it drastically minimized the time you spent carefully playing the spacing game in neutral. It also basically converted even half screen knockdowns into point-blank oki setups.

Combined with giant hitbox advancing normals, it was letting players of some characters cover 75% screen distance in a second or so. This is not everyone's cup of tea (and personally I really prefer the neutral in INJ2 and MK9).

It's a personal taste and everyone will have their own opinions, though.

Last edited: