What's new

Should MK11 Be an MK9 Legacy Sequel?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I think NRS should go the Super Mario Bros - Bizarro Sequel That Was SMB 2 - Mario Bros 3 approach to the design of MK11 and have it fall closer in like with MK9 than MKX/MKXL.

In spite of the obvious flaws the game had (netcode, player 1 advantage, Meter Glitch, Kabal/Kenshi/Cyrax, etc.), it has always seemed to me that from a sheer love of the game standpoint that MK9's layout/mechanics/hype factor have always been favored over MKX's.

I believe that the builders should let what was the rebirth of the run mechanic run its course, bring back the dashblocking and juggle-crazy maelstrom that was MK9-style Kombat, and go back to what started this entire reboot in the first place. In the event it ends up being the last title for a while to come (since, if rumors are to believed, this is going to be the Deception/Armageddon arc of this timeline, after which there is no known MK lore or future to be debated), I think it would do well to send the game out on the wavelengths it reintroduced itself with.

Let's be real here: no one is going to miss run cancel combos.

Thoughts?

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
I'll check the video since I'm about to sleep, but yes please. The way the game is mechanically is much more appealing to me than MKX was. I just really hope that NRS takes this direction again instead of the "new and fresh" way they took with MKX.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I'll check the video since I'm about to sleep, but yes please. The way the game is mechanically is much more appealing to me than MKX was. I just really hope that NRS takes this direction again instead of the "new and fresh" way they took with MKX.
THAT is the fucking word i couldn't remember when making this.

MECHANICS.
MK9 Mechanics > MKX Mechanics.

If that damn game had been rebalanced, it'd be the Super Turbo of our entire gamespan.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
MK9 and MKX are both excellent games, and whatever one likes the mechanics of one over the other is personal preference, but MKX is the better game in terms if mechanics and depth. If anything it should be more of an MKX legacy or at least similar to it, or even a combination of both MK9 and MKX.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
One the few things i enjoyed a lot in MKX build is how moves take longer to recover on whiff making the whiff punishing game very fun to do, in MK9 it was possible but moves usually used to recover a bit faster on whiff.

Also enjoyed the Art direction of MK9 far better tho.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
One the few things i enjoyed a lot in MKX build is how moves take longer to recover on whiff making the whiff punishing game very fun to do, in MK9 it was possible but moves usually used to recover a bit faster on whiff.

Yea whiff punishing stuff in MKX feels great cuz you can actually do it consistently lol. But truth be told, MK9 felt more alive to me. I agree with that art direction point immensely the game was colorful and bright dude. Loved it. I wouldn't mind MK11 being more like this.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
MK11 should just be a legacy game off MK9.

Everyone knows MK9 is like the heart of the NRS community and it’s what started this whole thing. All they have to do is fix the bugs, tweak the characters a bit, toss in some new/old ones, adds few new things, and BOOM, mk11.

I mean, look at games like GG and BB. They’ve been the same exact game since birth. All they do is tweak the game a bit and call is “GG/BB 2”. Tekken has essentially been the same game since T3. All they’ve done is update the graphics and add new characters while tweaking the previous ones, and add a new mechanic or 2.

I like how NRS wants to keep it different by making a new game different from the old one, but sometimes simplistic things is the best decision, hence why I2 is so good atm since they went legacy. Hopefully they do the same approach with MK11.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

I kind of like the wiff punishing in MK9 because it allowed people to throw out ranged normals in footsies with less risk, but if you were predictable, you would be punished. That's one of the things I liked about MK9, unless you mained low tier, you were always playing a game where you are mainly safe but not if your opponent reads you. The pace was more about expecting and then reacting to little things. Also, with dash kancels, you kan make more stuff wiff by back dash kanceling. This might make footsies bad if the recovery is too high on ranged normals, so that's something to take into account.

I actually prefer the art direction in MKX too...

I enjoyed the art direction of MK9 better too.
^Funny, never knew that. As a Kitana/Mileena main, I encountered a regular physics bug where the character model's breasts would kind of "suck in" and compress on themselves, but never noticed the above.

For Mortal Kombat 11, I've enjoyed both Mortal Kombat (2011) and Mortal Kombat XL a lot and each has aspects I like over the other. I prefer Dashing and Dash Blocking over Running and Stamina metres (I've never liked Running in the franchise, ever), I liked the less rushdown pace of Mortal Kombat (2011), but I liked the art style and more realistic character looks/proportions from Mortal Kombat XL.

Generally for me, I'd prefer the general mechanics of Mortal Kombat (2011) with the art style and balance of Mortal Kombat XL.

Don't think it's going to happen since NRS has a track record of always doing something new and not making the same game twice although I guess I2 is a lot like the first one, but even I2 has some tweaks to it. MK9 is one of my favorite games of all time so it has my vote.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
MK9 is dead. People need to get over this and move on -- it's been 6 years.

It'd be more constructive to just say what you want in MK11:

You want footsies? Ask for footsies. Don't like the run button? Ask for a game where mobility is reasonable instead of insane.

(Don't ask for cancelling dashes with block -- you're not getting that back ;))

If Ed Boon is known for anything, it is constantly moving forward and changing. You're won't get MK9 again, just like you're not going to get MK3 again, or MKDA or any other game. Focus on the future.

Last edited:

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
MK9 is dead. People need to get over this and move on -- it's been 6 years.

It'd be more constructive to just say what you want in MK11:

You want footsies? Ask for footsies. Don't like the run button? Ask for a game where mobility is reasonable instead of insane.

(Don't ask for dashblock movement -- you're not getting that back ;))

If Ed Boon is known for anything, it is constantly moving forward and changing. You're won't get MK9 again, just like you're not going to get MK3 again, or MKDA or any other game. Focus on the future.
Tekken 6 came out a whole 10 years before Tekken 7. So who cares if it’s been 6 years. Stop being lame and let people have the discussion. If you didn’t like the game, fine. That’s you. PLENTY of others did and if we have the option to possibly see it come back in a legacy way, let us explore. No need to knock the hustle.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Tekken 6 came out a whole 10 years before Tekken 7. So who cares if it’s been 6 years. Stop being lame and let people have the discussion. If you didn’t like the game, fine. That’s you. PLENTY of others did and if we have the option to possibly see it come back in a legacy way, let us explore. No need to knock the hustle.
I did like the game, actually, and played it nearly every day. Watched it constantly, gave money to help people make it to tournaments, joined a website to help promote it :)

This doesn't change the fact that:
1) MK9 is not coming back, and
2) It'd be far more useful for people to talk about specific mechanics they'd like to see emphasized in the next game, rather than asking for a 'legacy' version of a dead game.

MK9 is dead. So is Michael Jackson. I liked them both, but I'm not getting either of them back.

And in MK9's case specifically, there were far too many issues to make it a model for anything. So it makes far more sense to collect smart ideas for how the next MK game could be better than the last. That's how we move forward.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
P.S. You couldn't have more disparate approaches to interating on game design over time than Ed Boon and Harada. So I'm not sure what that comparison is worth.

MK will not be Tekken -- and frankly, it shouldn't be. It sells because of Ed's insatiable desire to break molds and do things differently.

Israel

Noob
"It'd be more constructive to just say what you want in MK11,"
"You want footsies? Ask for footsies. Don't like the run button? Ask for a game where mobility is reasonable instead of insane."

Hmm..ok lets see;
Get rid of the damn run button. *Suggestion- the Dash block system worked fine, no problems reported with it.

Get rid of the damn heavy 50/50's.*More footsie game. If a char has 50/50 make it punishable but dont make it to where the char has to rely on that one mix up.

Hm...sounds like to me whatever i ask, my suggestion will always refer back to the mechanics of MK9. So what does that say?

foxof42

Thanksgiving corner game, going ham and stuffing
Alright, so if we're talking about things we would want changed...

I do think run cancels were a bit much. I think it's totally reasonable to get another turn by spending a bar, but having to hold plus frames into a mix *for free* off advancing strings was/is kind of ridiculous. (But not you, Big Boot. Your startup made you beautiful and just. Don't go changing.)

As discussed elsewhere, variations should probably go in order to balance the game better. That said, if they wanted to have extra moves for funsies like in IJ2 on a separate balance system, I couldn't hold it against them. I could play Ronin Takeda again and it wouldn't be legit at all but it'd be fun on its own - sounds awesome.

I would want less "quirky" and "zany" challenge modes and more smart and innovative modes designed to make you a better player. I.e., jump in attacks take half your health, learn to anti-air or die. If you don't punish a punishable move you're stunned and punished, etc. I feel like that content would be way more appealing and they could still throw in their weird holiday shenanigans for the casuals if they wanted.

Bring back individual character tutorials and expand them to include basic combos. Make YouTube an afterthought for advanced KSlims stuff and just give us BnBs so you can pick up and play most characters at a low level.

Overall, make the game better at being a game: teaching you how to get good at it. Thoughts?

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I would love for the MK9 mechanics to come back. They just need to fix the P1 advantage, Input bug, and MB glitch an have trades and it be perfect.