What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Very curious about something. With Imposter Shinnock he steals Jax's ground pound move right? Which is unblockable and launches up correct? Can't Shinnock do ground pound and jip and loop mimicry on Jax over and over again?

Ojpaxton

Noob
Lol people talking to me like I haven't figured out his flaws, his footie and b3 are so god.ive been contributing to this forum thread from day 1 I know what's wrong with him. He's not as bad as you people think even when the opponent knows the gimmicks( ive already bitched and figured shit out) trust me once 3 hell sparks on hit is safe maybe a overhead starter for shits and giggles and that shoulder fixed shinnok is golden. Maybe not top tier but more then viable.

Ojpaxton

Noob
ok and where is his "safe stuff" you are talking about?
-1,1,(2),(3) with 9 frames startup not one of the faster pokes in the game, shitty range/priority, starts high
-2,2 shitty frames, shitty range, starts high, completly useless string
-3,2,1 slow as fuck, nooooo range, string whiffing randomly, completly useless
-f2,2,3 or 4? (sry I just play bone shaper) good range, but unsafe
-f2,2 bone shaper has a super slow start up and is even worse on block
-b/f3,1,d2 string in bone shaper is OK but its just ok, this string wont win you anything in the long run and I am pretty sure you can fuzzy guard the overhead and low scoop mixup, cause the overhead is so slow and the scoop is fast.
....and plz dont let me get started with his specials....

so what am I missing?! where dose Shinnok excel?????
-Zoning? he dosent have the tools for that, Necromancer Flick is safe and thats about it, broken tracking on specials and beeing fucked if they get in, hell sparks beeing ass.
-rushdown, mixups, vortex? ....good one...next
-is he supposed to be footsie based? I am fine with that, thats exactly what I wanted while I was looking forward to bone shaper. But he has NOTHING to work with, his strings are ass, he has one!!! medicroe string in bone shaper. I belive ALL other chars have at least one string that is 0 on block, where is Shinnoks fucking 0 on block pressure string?!

soooo....Shinnok has shitty strings, super unsafe AND BROKEN specials, playing footsies is super hard with his tools and it isnt even rewarding cause he has NO METERLESS DAMAGE and his damage with meter is PATHETIC. yeah Imposter can get some nice damage with the buff and some stolen moves, but you cant balance the damage output of a character based on one variation, can you?

Sry but if anyone thinks he is fine or just needs a minor tweak, then you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.
Gtfo

regulas

Your Emporer
I've been having the most online fun with Necro lately. Combo's seem to drop constantly online so any combo damage issues aren't significant, and his normals footsies options (cancelled into flick) is turning out to be pretty on point with enough variety and speed that people can't learn it out well, and enough spacing to make most mix-ups out of range. Offline I can hitconfirm f22 into hell sparks so that makes it seem like it could work out quite well even if its never made safe. One of the most entertaining things is that people often seem to expect me to spam out more flicks and seem suprised when I footsies into them.

My BNB preference right now is hitconfirm
f22~(EX)df4,njp,slight walk forward, 112~flick 30%

I could get 2-3 % more but it'd be harder and would leave them close.

Seriously though my main War God BnB that I do by reflex 9/10 times offline, when online I'm lucky to ever connect after the juggle.

Last edited:

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Yea...but you steal the armor buff move in impostor. I like stealing armor moves
I thought he only steals combo extenders, has this been confirmed or tested?

anyways, i had about 30 online games yesterday usung shinnok, and man he is bad. I like his footsies game but not a single meterless or safe string is a problem since i was loosing 40% of my health everytime kung jin punished me.

any word on shinnok getting buffed?

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
I thought he only steals combo extenders, has this been confirmed or tested?

anyways, i had about 30 online games yesterday usung shinnok, and man he is bad. I like his footsies game but not a single meterless or safe string is a problem since i was loosing 40% of my health everytime kung jin punished me.

any word on shinnok getting buffed?
Yes he does steal the armoured walk
Doesnt seem useful vs Jason in my eyes he's not excactly a terrifying rushdown monster you could just block low and not care about grabs.
And if he does combo you Impostor cannot combo back into mimicry
I'd not use Impostor, and Necro-zoning is placebo so I guess I'd go Boneshaper vs Jason

ENDeverMORE

The incredible introvert
The only thing I'd want buff w/ Shinnok however, is to have Necromancer work as intended
I'm fine with Shinnok and the awesome range of F2

Fenixy

Noob
Lol people talking to me like I haven't figured out his flaws, his footie and b3 are so god.ive been contributing to this forum thread from day 1 I know what's wrong with him. He's not as bad as you people think even when the opponent knows the gimmicks( ive already bitched and figured shit out) trust me once 3 hell sparks on hit is safe maybe a overhead starter for shits and giggles and that shoulder fixed shinnok is golden. Maybe not top tier but more then viable.
Played vs decent Cassie....it was frustrating for how better she is.Shinnoks only decent 0 on block is his 2,with awfull range and it's high. Her b1,2 have almost similar range of Shinnoks f2,2 ,but her is 0 on block while Shinnoks is -8...OH and his f2,2 (mid,mid) second hit is WIFFING on crouching Cassie...and punished with full combo...great footsies, definitely best mid move in game:

Only way to win with Shinnok right now is to be a Blocking Master, and hope that opponent will fuck up and do mistakes so you can punish them for 50%(which are not even guaranteed).

But I'm still going to stick with him 'cause I'm a sadist.

Played vs decent Cassie....it was frustrating for how better she is.Shinnoks only decent 0 on block is his 2,with awfull range and it's high. Her b1,2 have almost similar range of Shinnoks f2,2 ,but her is 0 on block while Shinnoks is -8...OH and his f2,2 (mid,mid) second hit is WIFFING on crouching Cassie...and punished with full combo...great footsies, definitely best mid move in game:

Only way to win with Shinnok right now is to be a Blocking Master, and hope that opponent will fuck up and do mistakes so you can punish them for 50%(which are not even guaranteed).

Technically you are not a sadist but a mazohist;) sadist is someone who likes to inflict pain while I understood it as you love you getting you ass handed to you while playing Shinnok!

Fenixy

Noob
Technically you are not a sadist but a mazohist;) sadist is someone who likes to inflict pain while I understood it as you love you getting you ass handed to you while playing Shinnok!
I tried to abbreviate term Sadomasochism(which is form of both giving and receiving) , but yes you are correct :D
But it also gives some kind of pleasure from whooping asses with trash tiers.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele

Don't say I didn't warn you about his mids not being true mids.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Meh I already moved on to War God Kotal. Plays the way I like and doesn't nearly struggle like Shinnok does.

I'm sorry but there's just no reason to play this character when everyone else can do what he does, but better.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Call it blasphemy but if tournament players are moving on from the character I say it's for a pretty good reason. I mean every character has a strength (good damage, 50/50s, good zoning etc...), and I hate to say it, but having good pokes in a game where every character does way more damage on you, have extreme gimmicks across all variations and have little to no true safe strings, and no mixup along with no damage makes you absolutely unviable in a tournament fighter. You can play him and have fun, but if someone learns the matchup? Shinnok is just free. A 5 frame down 1 does not make up for all of his cons. If there was ever a character that needed early buffs, Shinnok is it. Nothing about him works, or works well.

Even if Impostor has a vortex, it's prob the worst one in the game by far, so much so you could do better with a character without one. Shame, because this is the third time Shinnok has been in a MK game and he gets shafted AGAIN.