What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

regulas

Your Emporer
Coming from a street fighter background, im just playing footsies with necro shinnok and buffering all my pokes into flick. If it hits then great, if not, it's safe (but it isn't a true block string usually?). I am i doing something wrong? I doesn't seem that the flick is getting much love here.
A lot of the strings aren't really block strings as you noted and they could poke you or walk to avoid the flick before it gets out. Flick is till a great move but it's not the kind of ranged tool people expected it to be because when you know how it's actually pretty easy to dodge (many characters can walk fast enough to evade it). And for footsies I suspect Boneshaper may be better then necro or imp.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Coming from a street fighter background, im just playing footsies with necro shinnok and buffering all my pokes into flick. If it hits then great, if not, it's safe (but it isn't a true block string usually?). I am i doing something wrong? I doesn't seem that the flick is getting much love here.
any string canceled into flick isnt a true block string. i haven't tested it out but i know for sure that f22 xx flick, a lot of characters dont have fast enough moves to poke out of it, wouldn't be surprised if nobody can beat it out by frames. in that case, since there are no moves that are invincible off the ground, they are forced to spend bar and armor through a lot of the time. this however could be baited by doing f22 hellsparks and it will catch people trying to armor through because that is a true block string, and unlike street fighter 4, there is no auto block, so if they try punishing they get popped, however if you're wrong you're going to eat a lot of damage. it can also be done by kind of treating his f22 string like of like fei long rekkas and mix up when you do the flick in the string or where you end it. just keep in mind that f2 is -13 (according to the in game frame data) and f22 is -7 (in game frame data says its -8 but i tested it out and the in game data is wrong, like it is for a lot of things).

also there was a discussion about how frames are different in mk then they are in street fighter. long story fort moves that are -13 for example can only be punished by moves with a 12f startup or less, while in street fighter they can be punished by moves that have a 13f startup or less. kinda weird, but whatever

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
any string canceled into flick isnt a true block string. i haven't tested it out but i know for sure that f22 xx flick, a lot of characters dont have fast enough moves to poke out of it, wouldn't be surprised if nobody can beat it out by frames. in that case, since there are no moves that are invincible off the ground, they are forced to spend bar and armor through a lot of the time. this however could be baited by doing f22 hellsparks and it will catch people trying to armor through because that is a true block string, and unlike street fighter 4, there is no auto block, so if they try punishing they get popped, however if you're wrong you're going to eat a lot of damage. it can also be done by kind of treating his f22 string like of like fei long rekkas and mix up when you do the flick in the string or where you end it. just keep in mind that f2 is -13 (according to the in game frame data) and f22 is -7 (in game frame data says its -8 but i tested it out and the in game data is wrong, like it is for a lot of things).

also there was a discussion about how frames are different in mk then they are in street fighter. long story fort moves that are -13 for example can only be punished by moves with a 12f startup or less, while in street fighter they can be punished by moves that have a 13f startup or less. kinda weird, but whatever
Isn't 312xxflick a true blockstring?

just keep in mind that f2 is -13 (according to the in game frame data) and f22 is -7 (in game frame data says its -8 but i tested it out and the in game data is wrong, like it is for a lot of things).

Wait, what? I thought we agreed that f22 is -8 because it was safe from 7 frame or slower normals. Moves that are -13 can be punished by 12f or faster specials or 11f or faster normals because reversal specials don't have to go through the 1-frame animation of leaving blockstun.

Game frame data does have a lot of mistakes, though.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Wait, what? I thought we agreed that f22 is -8 because it was safe from 7 frame or slower normals. Moves that are -13 can be punished by 12f or faster specials or 11f or faster normals because reversal specials don't have to go through the 1-frame animation of leaving blockstun.

Game frame data does have a lot of mistakes, though.
man wtf why does it have to be so difficult. why can't frame data in mk be read the same as every other fighting game other than doa? its so confusing

Right, being a Rose main in USF4 it's a lot like using HP drill. Im really liking necro shinnok over boneshaper for footsies, since i feel that (while not perfectly safe) flick allows shinnok to be more aggressive during footsies.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
It kind of irks me that certain combos won't work on certain characters.

For example, if you do 3,1,2~EX Shoulder on Sonya, the EX Shoulder will allow for a follow up DF2 (Bone Shaper), but if you try the same thing on Reptile you won't get the pop up hit from the EX Shoulder.

Any chance of fixing these type of things? @colt @tylerlansdown

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Right, being a Rose main in USF4 it's a lot like using HP drill. Im really liking necro shinnok over boneshaper for footsies, since i feel that (while not perfectly safe) flick allows shinnok to be more aggressive during footsies.
i can see what you're saying. definitely an interesting approach to it cerainly has the upper hand in chip since flick does a lot of chip and is awesome to meaty flicks against characters that don't have armored moves that can pop you for doing them. an example would be after doing a hellsparks ender going for a meaty flick against someone like sub or reptile who have an EX slide to deal with something like that, so they'll take the damage and their slide would whiff.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Useful semi-"kara" trick to extend range significantly while only adding a couple frames onto your attack. It's essentially a split-second run cancel without consuming stamina.

As you may have noticed, Shinnok's first step of his walk is VERY fast. In fact, it is quicker to take that first quick step, cancel walk, then take another quick step, cancel and repeat from full screen than it is to hold forward and walk in (not practical, just information you may want to know. Walking full-screen into D4 is 1.8s, stutter stepping into D4 is 1.4s).

This is mainly useful when playing footsies with your opponent, as D3's and D4's are safe this time around you will want to completely back up on read, then do a quick forward step and cancel into b3 to whiff punish the poke. This is even more ideal in his bone shaper variation because his B3 cancels into a safe string, so even if it is blocked you are much better off.

Here's another video, again sorry for the quality and the random crap at the end, very new to this haha.

The first few b3's show regular range, and the next couple show what happens when you briefly walk then cancel B3. I believe my second attempt is near flawless, its barely even noticeable that i've done this and yet i gain significant range.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Also, just wanted to clarify and post a video about which string do and do not safely cancel into flick.

F22, F2, B3 all are backdashable or armorable.
F223 can actually be full combo punished with faster normals

3, 31 and 312 all get a guaranteed flick on block, 312 is also his highest chipping string, with the flick it totals up to 5.5% on block plus significant meter building and grants nice spacing afterwards (at the tip of D4 range where you can d4 yourself, wait and whiff punish a poke). lots of little shit on the way, most of this you main guys know about but it's just for clarity and others to know about.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Also, just wanted to clarify and post a video about which string do and do not safely cancel into flick.

F22, F2, B3 all are backdashable or armorable.
F223 can actually be full combo punished with faster normals

3, 31 and 312 all get a guaranteed flick on block, 312 is also his highest chipping string, with the flick it totals up to 5.5% on block plus significant meter building and grants nice spacing afterwards (at the tip of D4 range where you can d4 yourself, wait and whiff punish a poke). lots of little shit on the way, most of this you main guys know about but it's just for clarity and others to know about.

Thank you for sharing the aforementioned tech above (need to try to do that walk kara techinique) and thanks to @Doombawkz for pointing out that 3,1,2 xx Flick is safe along with @xSMoKEx pointing out that 3 and 3,1 are also safe.

@AVN PTH jonnitti I will try to do hellsparks after F2,2 to punish those who try to armor through and let you know what I think.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Also, any chance we could eventually start a matchup thread on here soon? I might after a few more days worth of playing.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Testing is done. I used Sub's reversal Slide for these strings to see what was safe since it armors and moves forward. His slide is 8 frames so with release of block I'm being hit with a 9 frame move.

Just about everything Shinnok does is punishable by armor with at least an 8 frame move on block or better. It's all about the armor and timing of punish. Also if you do Hell Sparks, he can armor on the second spark and on the third on block. What I found was this and these strings are done without any special cancels.

This is universal for all variations.
  • B3/F3
  • B1
  • D4
  • D3
  • B3/F3, 1 (Bone Shaper)
  • B3/F3, 1, D2 (Bone Shaper)
Everything else can be punished on the 2nd or 3rd blocked Hell Spark. (This is universal for all 3 variations)

I believe this can help when setting your opponent up in certain situations or when your health is low and don't want to get armor punished.

The reason for this is that any character that and an 8 frame special or better that moves forward will catch him and possibly full combo punish.

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So Shinnok can combo off an anti-air he'll sparks just run cancel f2
Depends on the spec, Bone shaper can't reach it. Imposter should be able to teleport n.j.p them off of an AA HS.
Bone can always do scepter slam, and like off of an AA HS you should be able to mb it and convert to something like n.j.2 f.22 1+3 or something.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
So I used only impostor at the break today, and honestly i felt like it panned out lot better. The impostor teleport setup found by @Shamwow0w0w is definitely a real thing for now and people are getting hit by it. might change later as the game develops and people find answers but nobody seems to have one yet. haven't gotten the timing down so it HAS to be blocked one

also people on stream last night were saying i have the best Shinnok, chill with that i havent seen anyone else play him yet and i dont know matchups yet lol

@AVN PTH jonnitti I will try to do hellsparks after F2,2 to punish those who try to armor through and let you know what I think.
well its gonna be balls deep. it works but you're going to get murked if you're wrong. id only do it if they've shown that they will armor through, until then just flick away. also should catch backdash.

Also, any chance we could eventually start a matchup thread on here soon? I might after a few more days worth of playing.
we should probably explore more matchups in general. so far i dont have any strong opinions on how matchups play out because i have limited experience vs people and i've only played against a handful of characters a few times

So I used only impostor at the break today, and honestly i felt like it panned out lot better. The impostor teleport setup found by @Shamwow0w0w is definitely a real thing for now and people are getting hit by it. might change later as the game develops and people find answers but nobody seems to have one yet. haven't gotten the timing down so it HAS to be blocked one

also people on stream last night were saying i have the best Shinnok, chill with that i havent seen anyone else play him yet and i dont know matchups yet lol

well its gonna be balls deep. it works but you're going to get murked if you're wrong. id only do it if they've shown that they will armor through, until then just flick away. also should catch backdash.

we should probably explore more matchups in general. so far i dont have any strong opinions on how matchups play out because i have limited experience vs people and i've only played against a handful of characters a few times
Was it streamed???!