What's new

Match-up Discussion Shazam Match-Up Discussion

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Slow enough to jump away/react with mbb3. But no joke most people will get caught by it...
The best way I've found to do it is to do 3xxWC. Outside of that, grundy doesn't have any kind of answer for reverse tele unless you count swamp hands.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
3 is really gimmicky though. With 3s range you probably can get more use out of d2. Anyway the big issue in the MU is that shazam is fast as hell and has the right tools vs Grundy all the time. The time Shazam will start shitting himself is when he is in the corner and eating 80%

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
3 is really gimmicky though. With 3s range you probably can get more use out of d2. Anyway the big issue in the MU is that shazam is fast as hell and has the right tools vs Grundy all the time. The time Shazam will start shitting himself is when he is in the corner and eating 80%
The thing about 3 is that d.2 is actually too fast. 3 is literally the best frame advantage you can get and still have time to do the Aug 2 to catch back tele.

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
Grundys low 2 hit string into WC can hit on black AND on hit. if shazam sees it coming you can just do something like d1-teleport or d2-teleport to get away though

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
Second day using Captain Marvel. Hardest match-up I've run into is Zod. His keepaway seems so hard to get past right now. Any advice on how to tackle this particular fight?

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Second day using Captain Marvel. Hardest match-up I've run into is Zod. His keepaway seems so hard to get past right now. Any advice on how to tackle this particular fight?

Can you be more specific? In general, block and dash. Don't jump on him or you'll get caught by his damn full screen flying grab thing. You just have to be patient, like really patient.

Uber

Noob
Yeah, zod doesn't really have a great way to zone shazam out. Trait is annoying, but he won't always have it. Zod balls can be teleported through on reaction.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Zero-Shift

B-List Hero
Yeah, zod doesn't really have a great way to zone shazam out. Trait is annoying, but he won't always have it. Zod balls can be teleported through on reaction.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Well, the matches I fought generally played out like this. Start of the match Zod would immediately run away. If I tried chasing he's charge me before I could block and run away some more until he could get the wraith out. Then he's start zoning. He's launch an orb at various heights, usually the slow one. If I tried teleporting through, jumping over or dashing in on block he'd either hit me with the laser pistol on recovery or grab me with the wraith. If he grabbed with the wraith he'd do a combo then run away again, using the same zoning strategy of a slow orb and then laser pistols timed to hit me on recovery of whatever I used to try getting past it. He'd keep doing this until the wraith was available again and the circle just repeated.

If this all sounds ignorant, I apologize. My Zod match-up experience is limited and the guy using him was about 17 levels higher than me. Being a Marvel greenhorn it was really hard trying to adapt to this fight on the fly.

Wakeup teleport is useless against Zod. Duck the shots and dash through or torpedo if you think he'll do zod ball. His j.1 is super annoying and pretty much beats your options clean in terms of AA and air to air.

His punish on torpedo is shitty though so risk reward is pretty high if you get that knockdown. His wakeup is also pretty crappy. crossup j2 might beat push but zod charge gets away free so you have to sit there and are forced into a shitty 33% mixup meterless or you can just mb f3 and say fuck it and hope he doesn't wakeup parry.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Wakeup teleport is useless against Zod. Duck the shots and dash through or torpedo if you think he'll do zod ball. His j.1 is super annoying and pretty much beats your options clean in terms of AA and air to air.

His punish on torpedo is shitty though so risk reward is pretty high if you get that knockdown. His wakeup is also pretty crappy. crossup j2 might beat push but zod charge gets away free so you have to sit there and are forced into a shitty 33% mixup meterless or you can just mb f3 and say fuck it and hope he doesn't wakeup parry.

I'm pretty sure B23 can stuff Zod Charge on wake up since its meaty.

Yeah I never really tested a bunch of wakeups to see if they were vulnerable for a smidgen before active before but in the other matchup thread it's shown Zod along with a few others we don't have to resort to blocking their wakeups or crossing them up, just do a string on his face in wakeup situations and clearly it works.

Bane 6-4
Hawk girl 6-4
Lex Luthor 5-5
Cyborg 5-5
Lobo 5-5
Flash 5-5
Grundy 5-5
Green lantern 5-5
Harley 5-5
Joker 5-5
Ares 5-5
Catwoman 5-5
Deathstroke 5-5
Batman 5-5
Superman 5-5
NightWing 5-5
Green Arrow 4-6
Raven 4-6
Wonder Woman 5-5
Aquaman 5-5
Black Adam 5-5
Doomsday 6-4
Killer Frost 5-5
Sinestro 4-6
Batgirl 5-5
Scorpion 5-5
General Zod 5-5
Zantanna 4-6
Martian Man Hunter 5-5

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
Having Trouble dealing with Harley's zone. Seems like she can pistols at distance, and if you by chance get in, she just switches to a jumping pistol overhead to her drop kick (low)

I feel like the matchup is 7-3 Harley's favor. Unless I'm totally missing how to play her which is probably likely.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
If you don't know the matchup then how can you say it's 7-3?

Overhead pistol is hella - and the tantrum stance is punishable.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What options are there?
tantrum stance into cartwheel is -7 if you block it crouching, d1 HM punish or just a torpedobear.

Overhead pistol I would assume, if close enough, grants a HM check. I don't know the matchup but I know how both characters work

Her zoning is not top tier, you just need patience and know exactly when to walk or dash in. Normal gushots you can dash in between, air gunshot can be cancelled to straight in 6 forums, just wait until harley has done something and then get in. Up close she has the mixup of tantrum stance which is low and her overhead air gunshots, which are fuzzy guardable.

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
If you don't know the matchup then how can you say it's 7-3?
Because bold statements elicit prompt responses :p

It doesn't feel like I'm able to dash in after a blocked normal gunshot, as I am normally able to do on most zoning.

Noob question: how does one take advantage of a 'fuzzy guardable' thing?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Because bold statements elicit prompt responses :p

It doesn't feel like I'm able to dash in after a blocked normal gunshot, as I am normally able to do on most zoning.

Noob question: how does one take advantage of a 'fuzzy guardable' thing?
If you can't dash it's either online or your characters dash, I doubt its the second.

Fuzzy guardable means you can defend against the mixup without it being 50-50

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
If you can't dash it's either online or your characters dash, I doubt its the second.

Fuzzy guardable means you can defend against the mixup without it being 50-50
Thanks, I'll give it a shot in training - my internet at the moment seems to be mostly crap so its probably that.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Having Trouble dealing with Harley's zone. Seems like she can pistols at distance, and if you by chance get in, she just switches to a jumping pistol overhead to her drop kick (low)

I feel like the matchup is 7-3 Harley's favor. Unless I'm totally missing how to play her which is probably likely.
This MU. Oh man. I remember when i first thought this was really bad as well. One of things you need to do is Play very Patient. When she gets her guns going sometimes thats all you can do. Duck and move in on here until you can get into Grapple range. If memory Serves you can Punish Cartwheel if you block the second part standing. And try to bait out her WU Cartwheel. Once you get in stay in you dont want to have to deal with her Zoning. Also watch her Meter. Since she is able to use Super in her combos you may die before you even get to clash.

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
This MU. Oh man. I remember when i first thought this was really bad as well. One of things you need to do is Play very Patient. When she gets her guns going sometimes thats all you can do. Duck and move in on here until you can get into Grapple range. If memory Serves you can Punish Cartwheel if you block the second part standing. And try to bait out her WU Cartwheel. Once you get in stay in you dont want to have to deal with her Zoning. Also watch her Meter. Since she is able to use Super in her combos you may die before you even get to clash.
Great stuff, thanks!