What's new

Shang Tsung Playable at E3 NOW!!!

Xelz

Go over there!
Somehow this feels unlikely considering Shang's pre-reveal tease showed all the ninja colors, his intro video showed the ninja moves, and the Kombat Kast showcased a lot of the ninja moves. On the other hand, this is totally consistent with NRS's treatment of the other characters - hype up moves that aren't tournament legal.

NRS needs to ditch custom variation systems in future titles if it means many of the enjoyable moves aren't ranked or tournament legal.

Lokheit

Noob
I was calling that we would either get all ninjas in competitive, or none at all. It's kinda like Cetrion not having any elemental aura in competitive, apparently they see those moves more as fan service than anything else.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Somehow this feels unlikely considering Shang's pre-reveal tease showed all the ninja colors, his intro video showed the ninja moves, and the Kombat Kast showcased a lot of the ninja moves. On the other hand, this is totally consistent with NRS's treatment of the other characters - hype up moves that aren't tournament legal.

NRS needs to ditch custom variation systems in future titles if it means many of the enjoyable moves aren't ranked or tournament legal.
Completely agree.

Variations need sacking off in the future if they're going to treat them like this.

Piss poor.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
If you guys think this is a surprise with the variations, just remember that Boon’s prediction was someone will win Evo with Shao Kahn. They’re selling us on the content.

Xelz

Go over there!
“What?! He has no ninja stuff in his tournament variations!?!”
- TYMers who have never attended nor have any intention of attending tournaments.
That’s right, at least in my case. But you know what? All those tournament rules and restrictions also carry over to ranked, and those of us who can’t travel to tournaments like to play ranked. And there are more of us playing online and paying NRS' paychecks than those who attend tournaments.

S+ Main

Noob
Im kinda glad that none of his tournament variations have the ninja character moves because I bought the pass for shang and not smoke, rain, ermac and reptile.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I didn't want Stang to have ninja moves in the first place because I wanted him to have more of his own identity(with soul steal of course) glad to see he gets plenty of special moves to make him unique
Same, I'm surprised so many people wanted his base or competitive moves to be a part of his variations. It had "custom" written all over it to me. I much rather Shang to be Shang than to be other characters.

Same, I'm surprised so many people wanted his base or competitive moves to be a part of his variations. It had "custom" written all over it to me. I much rather Shang to be Shang than to be other characters.
I don't feel strongly one way or the other, but I'm a bit miffed at the Kombat Kast folks for showing us three variations and completely omitting his second tournament variation from them. They could've told us this plan right then, shown us the tourney variations, and tried to sell us on what's cool about them. But they knew they'd catch flack for it, so they were just like "Oh and he has some other stuff we wanted to let you guys figure out for yourselves." That's a cop out. Stand behind your work.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I don't feel strongly one way or the other, but I'm a bit miffed at the Kombat Kast folks for showing us three variations and completely omitting his second tournament variation from them. They could've told us this plan right then, shown us the tourney variations, and tried to sell us on what's cool about them. But they knew they'd catch flack for it, so they were just like "Oh and he has some other stuff we wanted to let you guys figure out for yourselves." That's a cop out. Stand behind your work.
Nah, plenty of people play this game for the customs. The competitive community is the smaller base of the two. It makes sense for them to show us builds in the Kast, 1 custom, then one competitive, then one custom. They'll try to up-sell the customs because more people use them.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
I doubt these are going to be the released variations. Didn’t they mess with them immediately after launch?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Hands on expressions
I was looking at that today and couple of things....

POSITIVE
All his intros/outros are THE SHIT! Probably one of the best from the cast that pay homage to the MK movie.
His Brutalities seem like they're gonna be very good too. And I love how that soul steal brutality had him laughing as the character's soul he took. Classic!

NEGATIVE
I feel his customs are a bit lacking. His soul lantern and scroll? Really? I guess....
The fact that his ninja transformations are NOT TOURNAMENT LEGAL is the biggest offense of them all! This is the big problem I have with NRS' marketing....you market these ninjas over n over then to find out we really cant use them ranked/tournaments. MAKE CUSTOMS TOURNAMENT LEGAL! I will keep fucking saying this until it happens!