What's new

SFV Beta Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
Try and look at CountBlack matches or Melty Will2Pac matches with Laura, or Infiltration's training vids with her, this helps a lot.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
for a supposed "footsies queen" karin gets outfootsied by some characters and gets jumped in on for free. where is this hype coming from lol

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
someone educate me. she has no safe blockstrings without v trigger. it also seems all her gameplay is confirms into jf tenko

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I gotta say Dhalsim is the most surprising character out of SFV. He feels like Dhalsim but with a new direction though. Took some time to get used to his new moves but everything gels together nicely.

Necalli on the other hand feels dull and boring to me. Going to need to look up some matches and see if he has some hidden stuff that will really make him shine like Rashid.

someone educate me. she has no safe blockstrings without v trigger. it also seems all her gameplay is confirms into jf tenko
I got a friend who plans on maining her. I'll see if he has any tips.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
It's hard to notice at first especially with the K.O. covering it up but at :42 after the eletric attack left leaves her hands, one of Laura's breasts goes into a divebomb before fixing itself a moment later.
Oh, lol... can't beleive I missed that!

A few advices :

- frame trap *** MP>cMP>qcfLP or MP (depending on if you prefer a mixup or a KO+oki)

7) Try and use MP>MK>V-Trigger>cMP>EX fireball>HP into
----------- A) slow fireball > command grab
----------- B) fast fireball > LK > qcfLP etc
----------- C) command dash >mixup (can dash behind or stay in front of your opponent)
I learned alot from this post... Thanks!

Can you explain how her frame traps work? Is that on block or hit "MP>cMP"?

I noticed in this build you can get a standing reset off her v-skill overhead on counter hit (spin knockdown) by using MK>command dash. Or you can just get damage with st. HK. In the corner you can do a qcfHP follow up as well (iirc).

Noob
IIRC it was down+kick, but I already remember people saying there's no quick drop and that's just the FBA's normal drop down speed so idk.
Sorry for the late reply i was out all weekend -.- could only play like 4 hours, but i did find out how you do it, dont believe the nay sayers out there the quick drop is real, and it will make a lot of ppl salty i can tell you right ;)

Is Vega good in SFV? I remember trying to play him in SFIV when I first got the game but I didn't know what a charge character was so never touched him again. Iirc he's not a charge character anymore?

Also, Chun-Li is awesome. I've been conditioning people to think I'm going to do a crossup jik then I do instant air Legs from a forward jump and catch them not blocking lol. Doesn't do much life damage but the mental damage seems to be worth doing it!
I think Vega is perfect now, not considering earlier versions of SF like SFII etc... where Vegas range made him amazing... he hasnt been this good in a very VERY LONG TIME. with the 4 hours and some change i had with the beta i went from 12k world placement to the top 700 by going on a wild win spree and beating some very good players... My honest accessment of this character is that he will solidly be placed at the bottom of the top tiers. And i say bottom for 1 very specific reason, He has no reliable anti air/dp... Cr.HP is a decent anti air but it trades with any character in the game 90% of the time which means that if you are losing in life this anti air is probably the worse thing you can do because you will most likely still be losing and havent really gave any reasons for the opponent not to jump on you... He has no Dp so you dont have an option there, But there is hope. Vega can "Reliably" do insta air grab and out prioritize most air attacks from most characters, even Nashs Axe kick will get beaten by his air grab, so if your a player with quick reflexes and reactions i would say this is your anti air... If you do not consider yourselfs among said people i would be very carefull with sufering a KD because as of right now jumping on Vega is extremely good, in comparison to the remaining Top tiers ( the likes of Nash Birdie etc...) they have universal Anti airs that beat any jump in even if you do it late and said anti airs have better frames than Vega... Thats why i place him in the bottom of the top Tiers...

Other Opinions i have of this character... Claw mode is simply amazing to push your opponent to the corner, there will be little your opponent can do against a really good Vega to regain any ground he makes simply because he has the means to out footsie pretty much the entire rooster... his walk speed, poke range and overall very nice normals make him a bulldozer that will not stop untill you are in the corner... Clawless is just holy baby j... Clawless is the animal being freed from his cage, i only need to say one thing about Clawless mode, if a good Vega Switchs to clawless on you, just Run put as much distance between you and vega as you possibly can. This mode is an Animal... Amazing pokes with amazing frames and still incredible range, Can combo off of pretty much any stray hit, Can combo for amazing damage off of his FBAs and has a comand grab... just run =S... Thats pretty much my opinion on Vega without going into much more detail like my last review on him...

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I think Vega is perfect now, not considering earlier versions of SF like SFII etc... where Vegas range made him amazing... he hasnt been this good in a very VERY LONG TIME. with the 4 hours and some change i had with the beta i went from 12k world placement to the top 700 by going on a wild win spree and beating some very good players... My honest accessment of this character is that he will solidly be placed at the bottom of the top tiers. And i say bottom for 1 very specific reason, He has no reliable anti air/dp... Cr.HP is a decent anti air but it trades with any character in the game 90% of the time which means that if you are losing in life this anti air is probably the worse thing you can do because you will most likely still be losing and havent really gave any reasons for the opponent not to jump on you... He has no Dp so you dont have an option there, But there is hope. Vega can "Reliably" do insta air grab and out prioritize most air attacks from most characters, even Nashs Axe kick will get beaten by his air grab, so if your a player with quick reflexes and reactions i would say this is your anti air... If you do not consider yourselfs among said people i would be very carefull with sufering a KD because as of right now jumping on Vega is extremely good, in comparison to the remaining Top tiers ( the likes of Nash Birdie etc...) they have universal Anti airs that beat any jump in even if you do it late and said anti airs have better frames than Vega... Thats why i place him in the bottom of the top Tiers...

Other Opinions i have of this character... Claw mode is simply amazing to push your opponent to the corner, there will be little your opponent can do against a really good Vega to regain any ground he makes simply because he has the means to out footsie pretty much the entire rooster... his walk speed, poke range and overall very nice normals make him a bulldozer that will not stop untill you are in the corner... Clawless is just holy baby j... Clawless is the animal being freed from his cage, i only need to say one thing about Clawless mode, if a good Vega Switchs to clawless on you, just Run put as much distance between you and vega as you possibly can. This mode is an Animal... Amazing pokes with amazing frames and still incredible range, Can combo off of pretty much any stray hit, Can combo for amazing damage off of his FBAs and has a comand grab... just run =S... Thats pretty much my opinion on Vega without going into much more detail like my last review on him...
I simply MUST try him out when the game's released then! Sounds like a character I could play! :)

Noob
I simply MUST try him out when the game's released then! Sounds like a character I could play! :)
Please do dude! its the most fun iv had with Vega since Alpha 3, the only thing i miss is his step back kick, that move from SFIV was fun to use, but its not like he needs it in this game, it would just make him fun cause of the Crossup on KD other than that, i do feel he is extremely balanced whilst still being an amazingly powerfull character, extremely good on offense but still has weaknesses, and thats what every character needs... There are only 3 types of character and they need to always be kept in mind when making a character balanced, you can have :

Good offense - which means his defence has to lack ( Vega is the perfect example )
Balanced - Not particularly bad at anything but doesnt excel all the same
Good Defence - which means his offence has to lack

And then there is the 4th type of character aka Birdie.... not even going to go into this one, just watch LPN at the madkatz showcase

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Not optimizing your crush counter combos at this point is like punishing Sub Zero's slide with d1. CC combos and spending the V gauge liberally are aspects of this game that people are being slow to adopt, but aren't exactly fluff mechanic wise. Get your free damage and use the lack of chip to play patient. People saying SFV is too 'basic' and 'simple' must have been expecting SPFV*. Speaking very generally the lights are now defensive get off me's, the mediums are your footsie tools and the heavies are CC fishers. Understanding this concept quickly extinguishes a lot of assumptions from SFIV real quick. The game's fun as hell, and how drastically characters have changed from beta phase to beta phase should dissuade the frankly ridiculous assumptions of which characters are set in stone, but if there's anything that should be retained from the time we've had with the game so far it's those concepts.

*Set play fighter V.

Last edited:

Ravosa

Wild Card
I don't understand this game at all. And I can't even practice without being thrown into a game. I crack top 100 in MKX but I haven't even won a game yet in SFV. It's my first street fighter game. Where do I start

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Not optimizing your crush counter combos at this point is like punishing Sub Zero's slide with d1. CC combos and spending the V gauge liberally are aspects of this game that people are being slow to adopt, but aren't exactly fluff mechanic wise. Get your free damage and use the lack of chip to play patient. People saying SFV is too 'basic' and 'simple' must have been expecting SPFV*. Speaking very generally the lights are now defensive get off me's, the mediums are your footsie tools and the heavies are CC fishers. Understanding this concept quickly extinguishes a lot of assumptions from SFIV real quick.

*Set play fighter V.
Worth noting CCs offered half a bar of v gauge.

The mindgame is similar to having 2 bars in MKX so your opponent thinks you won't do that much damage and suddenly busting out an xray to end the round.

E.G you land a CC which then helps give you advantage in neutral, pressure etc via gaining v trigger.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Cammy's not the Sprite can opening, unblockable vortexing British monster she was in SFIV, and she does play differently in this game. But she's still fucking good, and she's still British. Anyone who finds themselves getting wrecked as Cammy should feel free to inquire about how to play her. Too many Cammy's complaining about her 'lack of anti-airs' and pressure while getting out footsied by characters who should have been switched to counter pick.

d3v

SRK
Cammy's not the Sprite can opening, unblockable vortexing British monster she was in SFIV, and she does play differently in this game. But she's still fucking good, and she's still British. Anyone who finds themselves getting wrecked as Cammy should feel free to inquire about how to play her. Too many Cammy's complaining about her 'lack of anti-airs' and pressure while getting out footsied by characters who should have been switched to counter pick.
You have to play her like CvS2 Cammy. Stay on the ground and mount offensive footsies and frame traps. While her pokes aren't as good as someone like Chun, they're still pretty good and, more importantly, she get good damage of alot of confirms. There's a reason why the god of CvS2 (d44BAS) descrines her as "easy char, easy wins".

Also, Cammy has arguably the best anti-air game at the moment, with different versions of her DP, b+mp, st.hk, etc.

CAM THE SAGE

THERE IS FEAR IN YOUR HEART
Worth noting CCs offered half a bar of v gauge.

The mindgame is similar to having 2 bars in MKX so your opponent thinks you won't do that much damage and suddenly busting out an xray to end the round.

E.G you land a CC which then helps give you advantage in neutral, pressure etc via gaining v trigger.
I like 5 over 4 a lot. There's more to it than basics it's just slower

Status
Not open for further replies.