What's new

SFV Beta Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Lol yeah for a while now. F.A.N.G. is the last day 1 character. The next 6 DLC characters have also been revealed.
Ah thanks I didn't now Fang was the last of the day 1 roster, thought maybe they were holding a couple out for til closer to release. We are friends on steam and played MKX right? If so we should def get some games in!

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Ah thanks I didn't now Fang was the last of the day 1 roster, thought maybe they were holding a couple out for til closer to release. We are friends on steam and played MKX right? If so we should def get some games in!
Yeah Day 1 roster is 16 characters. And sure man. I'll be on PS4 though. But I'll be playing this Day 1 and probably giving MK a break until the dust settles from whatever monstrosity KP2 patch is going to bring.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Yeah Day 1 roster is 16 characters. And sure man. I'll be on PS4 though. But I'll be playing this Day 1 and probably giving MK a break until the dust settles from whatever monstrosity KP2 patch is going to bring.
Can we cross play day 1? I have not been keeping up on that part at all. I am done with MKX not by choice though :(

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Can we cross play day 1? I have not been keeping up on that part at all. I am done with MKX not by choice though :(
Cross Play is in the beta. Capcom seems to be serious about taking online play seriously. And about fostering the competitive scene.

CAM THE SAGE

THERE IS FEAR IN YOUR HEART
My PSN tag is cameronthesage I'll definitely play some matches with you

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
So who felt strongest to you guys? Like, what characters seemed to be the most effective from an early meta-perspective?

For me:

Cammy, Nash, Karin, M.Bison, Chun-Li, and Vega stood out as the best of the best. With an honorable mention to Birdie, being just a hair under them imo. just because of his lacking mobility.

My arguments pretty simple: sfv is footsie oriented and those 6-7 stand out as the best footsie-oriented characters in the cast.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
So who felt strongest to you guys? Like, what characters seemed to be the most effective from an early meta-perspective?

For me:

Cammy, Nash, Karin, M.Bison, Chun-Li, and Vega stood out as the best of the best. With an honorable mention to Birdie, being just a hair under them imo. just because of his lacking mobility.

My arguments pretty simple: sfv is footsie oriented and those 6-7 stand out as the best footsie-oriented characters in the cast.
I feel like people underrate Ryu. I had really good success with him, no problems with any character.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader

For me:

Nash, Bison, Chun, and Karin for me in this beta phase.

I just want it to be the 16th already

d3v

SRK
SFV isn't actually "footies oriented" as it is "read oriented". The frame data (very 3S like) and hurtboxes are more conducive to frame trapping than traditional SF style space control, less Alpha 2, more 3rd Strike.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
SFV isn't actually "footies oriented" as it is "read oriented". The frame data (very 3S like) and hurtboxes are more conducive to frame trapping than traditional SF style space control, less Alpha 2, more 3rd Strike.
I'd argue both are true, footsie and reads oriented - that the footsie aspect of the game is the gateway to the frame trap oriented stuff. Part of my feeling this way might come from playing exclusively Rashid, whom, imo, lacks in the footsie department, so it feels like I really have to earn my way in versus a character like Chun because her footsies are a wall.
I feel like people underrate Ryu. I had really good success with him, no problems with any character.
Yeah, honestly I feel like a lot of Ryu players are downplaying him... I'm the last person to judge since I personally haven't played him, but he feels like the character that's so well-rounded he's actually kind of buff. He'd be just under Birdie imo. We'll see how he fleshes out when it drops.

These last 12 days are going to be rough, lol.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'd argue both are true, footsie and reads oriented - that the footsie aspect of the game is the gateway to the frame trap oriented stuff. Part of my feeling this way might come from playing exclusively Rashid, whom, imo, lacks in the footsie department, so it feels like I really have to earn my way in versus a character like Chun because her footsies are a wall.

Yeah, honestly I feel like a lot of Ryu players are downplaying him... I'm the last person to judge since I personally haven't played him, but he feels like the character that's so well-rounded he's actually kind of buff. He'd be just under Birdie imo. We'll see how he fleshes out when it drops.

These last 12 days are going to be rough, lol.
Give it a few months. People will realize parry is actually really good. Everyone's in 3S mindset about it right now.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.

For me:

I feel those might be week 1 strong. I feel that every character had so much shit to explore and then versus each other that everyone is strong. I could only say cammy, chun,, nash, bison, birdie would be the people who have the easiest success. Maybe ryu and ken but that's mostly them being ryu and ken. I'm excited for SFV!!!

d3v

SRK
According to Viscant, characters like Chun and Cammy are strong because, aside from their fast walkspeed, they can convert to big damage from lights (Chun can low jab, stand strong, low forward xx special, Cammy can low jab, target combo). Combine that with good buttons and they can stay on you and just pressure and frame trap.

Pretty sure BAS agrees since he was claiming in the Beta that Cammy was "easy char, easy wins".
The difference is that you can't really rely on pure space control just like in games like Alpha 2 and CvS2 pre-roll cancels. In the former, you can have someone like Rose who can just control space with low strong at the right range and that's it. She can just sit there and you're now forced to deal with it or lose. Same with CvS2 pre-roll cancels with characters like Cammy.

With games like 3rd Strike and V there's an effort to weaken that through frame data (without Alpha 3's wholesale nerfing of hitboxes) makes A2 style poking a bit more risky. Both these games (3S and V) have medium and especially heavy normals that aren't as safe as they were in games like A2 and ST, at the same time however, combining them with a priority system hat encourages you to use them to beat out safer normals.

There's an old writeup about 3S footsies written by the Japanese that laments how stuff that's safe on block in SFII and Alpha are super unsafe and punishable in 3S.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Yoyo/5394/ashibarai/ashibarai.htm

Last edited:

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Where the hell have you been? Haven't spoke w u in ages it feels.
Likewise. Been in Cali. Been working like a madman. Been crying at the weather forecast.

Enjoyed the Cali trip so much I decided I'm gonna be moving the fam there next month. Gonna be living in JWong's territory.

What have you been up to you beautiful bastard?

Status
Not open for further replies.