What's new

SFV Beta Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Rashid - I honestly dunno what the hell they where thinking, his gameplay has some interesting ideas and he is a pretty cool take on a mix of archtypes and playstyles but, he just looks stupid... 90% of this moves look ridiculous and comical in a bad way... this character for me is the worse addition to the roster...
I actually thought Rashid looks pretty slick, his costume is cool (wasn't feeling the scouter at first but now I dig it) and his personality is surprisingly pleasant---- kind of like fun-loving jock with windpowers. I would agree Spinning Mixer is incredibly annoying to see and hear, but I kind of like the exuberance a lot of his animations have. They mesh well with his demeanor.

Worst addition for me would have to be Laura. Lazy and fanservicey character design, and manages to be even more boring than Sim in SFIV. Still more exciting than Ryu though, he's incredibly vanilla in V.

Noob
I actually thought Rashid looks pretty slick, his costume is cool (wasn't feeling the scouter at first but now I dig it) and his personality is surprisingly pleasant---- kind of like fun-loving jock with windpowers. I would agree Spinning Mixer is incredibly annoying to see and hear, but I kind of like the exuberance a lot of his animations have. They mesh well with his demeanor.

Worst addition for me would have to be Laura. Lazy and fanservicey character design, and manages to be even more boring than Sim in SFIV. Still more exciting than Ryu though, he's incredibly vanilla in V.
Yeah i mean as long as someone out there likes the character i cannot say much in terms of factual should or shouldnt be in the game, but i feel he doesnt knock it out of the park in any particular way, considering adding new characters to a age old series they should have as much as possible of an impact i really feel he and laura dont have that... they feel like throw away characters going forward into a possible SFVI, but thats not really a relevant conversation at this point in tiem...

Yeah... I know some ppl like her but i find her super bland and honestly doesnt bring much to the table.. Feels pretty much like Abel had a boob job... oh well cant win all the time i guess..

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
New stage and costume for Bison?

e-Capcom Twitter account

also new interview...
We revisit the recent Famitsu interview with Capcom's Kouichi Sugiyama again tonight to learn briefly about Street Fighter 5's highly-anticipated story.

Famitsu: You announced that the story will be richer this time around. Could you go into more detail on this?

Sugiyama: This time around, we've put some real work into the story. We've placed it firmly in continuity, and really been thinking hard on how to couple relationships between characters in a way that'll make players go "Oh, so that's it!" once they play.

For example, the Street Fighter Alpha series has kind of felt like an alternate continuity before this, so we want to produce some clarity around that.

Though Famitsu asked for more, Sugiyama could not go into further detail on the story, which kind of makes us all the more excited for what's in store.

There's a lot more to the interview, as Sugiyama goes into a lot of depth on the development team's choices to get rid of many traditional charge moves, how SF5 differs from previous Street Fighters and how it will bring in new fans.

Famitsu: There've been new moves added, old moves removed, commands for moves changed to many of the old characters present in SF5. What was your thought process with these changes?

Sugiyama: We didn't want to have characters that felt too similar, characters that we're just "different versions" of eachother. For example, Nash's special moves used to be charge, but we changed them to motion.

We already had plans to add Guile, so we wanted to differentiate them as much as possible, and decided to just make Nash completely into a motion character. Of course, we took it a step further than that as well by giving him teleportation with his V-Trigger.

Famitsu: Even then, I think that a character from Street Fighter 2 like Vega is so heavily linked with being a charge character in most people's minds. Changing something like that required a lot of boldness, don't you think?

Sugiyama: Well, that's certainly true, but one of our major premises with Street Fighter 5 is to have it be something of a reboot.

We wanted old players, Street Fighter veterans, as well as players that are new to the series, with SF5 being their first game, to be on equal footing going into the game, so we decided not to be caught up in the past and changed stuff like that.

For a secondary reason, commands were more difficult back in the Street Fighter 2 era, so charge characters were considered easier, but now it's become the other way around, where charge characters are often considered more difficult.

Famitsu: There is a tendency towards that, yes.

Sugiyama: A character like Vega generally has strong specs as a character, but due to the difficulty of charge-based movement, people tend to avoid him. With him being a motion character this time around, we're hoping that more people will be willing to try him out, and properly bring out the natural potential of Vega as a character.

Famitsu: In Street Fighter 4, okizeme was vital. In Street Fighter 2, fireballs were pivotal to battle, to a point where if you managed to hit an opponent with one, sometimes the match could be considered over.

Street Fighter 3 was very finely footsie-based due to the presence of the parry mechanic. Each entry in the series has developed the fighting system further. What have you planned for SF5's central feature to be?

Sugiyama: For the time being, we want people to be able to just jump right into it when they start playing. I feel like players could never really advance beyond the starting line in SF3 because of parrying or in SF4 because of the heavy reliance on okizeme. If we lower that hurdle, the difference between skilled players becomes finer.

Famitsu: What do you mean by the difference becoming finer?

Sugiyama: It's a very fine line. For example, situational judgment. Your opponent's HP, your own meter, the hitboxes of moves, keeping all of these things in mind while playing will become important in SF5, I think. The difference in the ability to judge these factors is what will decide who's skilled and who isn't, I believe.

What are your hopes for the game's story mode? Do you like agree that characters like Vega will be able to "reach their potential" now that they don't have to rely on charge? Let us know in the comments.

Source: Famitsu.

d3v

SRK
New stage and costume for Bison?

e-Capcom Twitter account

also new interview...
We revisit the recent Famitsu interview with Capcom's Kouichi Sugiyama again tonight to learn briefly about Street Fighter 5's highly-anticipated story.

Famitsu: You announced that the story will be richer this time around. Could you go into more detail on this?

Sugiyama: This time around, we've put some real work into the story. We've placed it firmly in continuity, and really been thinking hard on how to couple relationships between characters in a way that'll make players go "Oh, so that's it!" once they play.

For example, the Street Fighter Alpha series has kind of felt like an alternate continuity before this, so we want to produce some clarity around that.

Though Famitsu asked for more, Sugiyama could not go into further detail on the story, which kind of makes us all the more excited for what's in store.

There's a lot more to the interview, as Sugiyama goes into a lot of depth on the development team's choices to get rid of many traditional charge moves, how SF5 differs from previous Street Fighters and how it will bring in new fans.

Famitsu: There've been new moves added, old moves removed, commands for moves changed to many of the old characters present in SF5. What was your thought process with these changes?

Sugiyama: We didn't want to have characters that felt too similar, characters that we're just "different versions" of eachother. For example, Nash's special moves used to be charge, but we changed them to motion.

We already had plans to add Guile, so we wanted to differentiate them as much as possible, and decided to just make Nash completely into a motion character. Of course, we took it a step further than that as well by giving him teleportation with his V-Trigger.

Famitsu: Even then, I think that a character from Street Fighter 2 like Vega is so heavily linked with being a charge character in most people's minds. Changing something like that required a lot of boldness, don't you think?

Sugiyama: Well, that's certainly true, but one of our major premises with Street Fighter 5 is to have it be something of a reboot.

We wanted old players, Street Fighter veterans, as well as players that are new to the series, with SF5 being their first game, to be on equal footing going into the game, so we decided not to be caught up in the past and changed stuff like that.

For a secondary reason, commands were more difficult back in the Street Fighter 2 era, so charge characters were considered easier, but now it's become the other way around, where charge characters are often considered more difficult.

Famitsu: There is a tendency towards that, yes.

Sugiyama: A character like Vega generally has strong specs as a character, but due to the difficulty of charge-based movement, people tend to avoid him. With him being a motion character this time around, we're hoping that more people will be willing to try him out, and properly bring out the natural potential of Vega as a character.

Famitsu: In Street Fighter 4, okizeme was vital. In Street Fighter 2, fireballs were pivotal to battle, to a point where if you managed to hit an opponent with one, sometimes the match could be considered over.

Street Fighter 3 was very finely footsie-based due to the presence of the parry mechanic. Each entry in the series has developed the fighting system further. What have you planned for SF5's central feature to be?

Sugiyama: For the time being, we want people to be able to just jump right into it when they start playing. I feel like players could never really advance beyond the starting line in SF3 because of parrying or in SF4 because of the heavy reliance on okizeme. If we lower that hurdle, the difference between skilled players becomes finer.

Famitsu: What do you mean by the difference becoming finer?

Sugiyama: It's a very fine line. For example, situational judgment. Your opponent's HP, your own meter, the hitboxes of moves, keeping all of these things in mind while playing will become important in SF5, I think. The difference in the ability to judge these factors is what will decide who's skilled and who isn't, I believe.

What are your hopes for the game's story mode? Do you like agree that characters like Vega will be able to "reach their potential" now that they don't have to rely on charge? Let us know in the comments.

Source: Famitsu.
Link to the actual interview?

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
Street Fighter V Demo Playable at Select GameStop Locations...

When Street Fighter V’s last beta phase ended last December, many assumed that this would be their last chance to play the game before release. However, it seems that there is another way to get your hands on it–provided you live near a GameStop, that is.

According reports from both r/StreetFighter and our own forums, a demo version of Street Fighter V is now playable at select GameStop locations around the United States.

The demo itself is running on the PlayStation 4 and only allows for one player to fight against the computer. Additionally, only six characters are currently playable: Ryu, Karin, Necalli, Zangief, Nash and Birdie.

d3v

SRK
Street Fighter V Demo Playable at Select GameStop Locations...

When Street Fighter V’s last beta phase ended last December, many assumed that this would be their last chance to play the game before release. However, it seems that there is another way to get your hands on it–provided you live near a GameStop, that is.

According reports from both r/StreetFighter and our own forums, a demo version of Street Fighter V is now playable at select GameStop locations around the United States.

The demo itself is running on the PlayStation 4 and only allows for one player to fight against the computer. Additionally, only six characters are currently playable: Ryu, Karin, Necalli, Zangief, Nash and Birdie.
If you're going to steal the text from my article, you might as well link to it now.
http://shoryuken.com/2016/01/11/street-fighter-v-demo-playable-at-select-gamestop-locations/

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.

Read more about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/3xtsct/beta_sfv_the_same_match_recorded_differently_from/

I will quote /u/Hatson here:

"Wow. This explains SO much. Of why the laggy rollback matches felt like I was getting CH'd all day and no matter what I tried to do I couldn't do anything as seemingly they were invinc and I was just a dummy set to CH.

People commenting here saying "this seems ok", you are clearly not looking at this in slow-motion properly. There are many things glaringly wrong in either players rollbacks here. Where one thing happens and then due to rollback, turns into an entirely different thing and PUNISHES the other player that happened to be on the wrong side of the rollback at that moment.

Nash's PoV was a lot more laggy than Karin's PoV. Countless situations were it seemed Karin blocked but Nash actually hit and he could have hit confirmed it but didn't because on his screen it didn't even register as a hit until way too late. And lots of moments where it shows him hitting, but then turns into a block and he gets CH'd for trying to go for the hit confirm...

This even caused the Nash player to get blown the fuck up first round due to several unfavorable rollbacks in a row, that were only unfair for him.

Look at the first round air resets and Nash's wakeups before he gets stunned. Put the video to 0.25 speed and you'll see what's really happening from Nash's PoV (right side). He is waking up with grabs a few times, where it looks like he grabbed Karin (you can see her teleporting for a few frames, as if the grab animation is starting up), but then his Grab turns into her CH him instead into a combo. Even though on his screen he won by Grab, but the rollback turned it into a CH combo instead for the Karin.

This happens 2 or 3 times on Nash's wakeup. Where he does in fact win her with a grab, even for quite a few frames towards the end of the round, but again it turns into a CH for the Karin.

Timestamps for BS rollback (put to 0.25 speed):

0:39 air reset turns Nash's meaty on block into a CH and a combo for Karin.

0:43 wakeup tech turns Nash's throw into a CH and combo for Karin.

0:53 wakeup tech turns Nash's throw (very far into Nash's grab animation) into a CH and victory for Karin.

1:20 Nash's blocked hit turns into a CH + combo for Karin.

1:26 Nash's wakeup jab hit turns into a CH for Karin

1:36 Nash's v-trigger startup get stuffed twice by Karin's pokes, even though that should drain Nash's meter for activating V-trigger. But the rollback makes it so as if Nash never even did V-trigger in the first place (look on Karin's PoV, he never even V-triggered from her PoV). The game turns his v-trigger activations into hits for Karin instead.

GG. Nash couldn't react or do shit as everything he tried to do ended up terrible for him due to rollback that was extremely laggy from his PoV. But from Karin's it was pretty smooth and easy victory for her. As if the Nash was just mashing buttons on wakeup. When in fact he was doing throw tech reads, that he even won, but the game turned it into a CH for Karin instead because what he saw on screen wasn't what was actually happening for real.

This doesn't seem fair at all. On his screen, Karin wasn't even doing a meaty at all, so he goes for the grab expecting her to grab, but even though he wins a grab on his screen, it just turns into a stupid rollback CH for her. What the fuck?

This happened way too many times to me online during the Beta. It's especially bad for characters with 0 reversals like Nash, it seems, because he has to commit to blocking or reading a tech grab situation. But in rollback it's impossible to even commit to teching, if this is what always happens instead. And blocking in rollback is just the worst thing ever, suddenly they've teleported into the air and you have no time to react, or you get rollbacked into a command grab.

Great. :I

Well, at least the GOOD connections were absolutely flawless with 0 rollback and 0 input delay. It felt like playing offline almost, very smooth experience. But the bad connections were just beyond awful, especially when TRYING to play defensive, which does fuck all for you in rollback where teching turns into CH combos on yourself, and blocking turns into teleporting jumps and command grabs.
"
This is definitely some De Ja Vu. I remember the same thing happening in SF4.

GAV

@14K

Birdie's design as far as move-set looks amazing, but I agree they butchered his look.

Here's Birdie from SF1...

Here's Birdie from Alpha...

...and here is SFV Birdie...

I just don't understand. Who is making the design choices? Why is he fat?

Noob
[
@14K

Birdie's design as far as move-set looks amazing, but I agree they butchered his look.

Here's Birdie from SF1...

Here's Birdie from Alpha...

...and here is SFV Birdie...

I just don't understand. Who is making the design choices? Why is he fat?
Yeah i mean, my Fav SF series was always alpha, i just like the punk rock vibe they used, from Birdie to Guy, everything was psychedelic and mostly well thought out to be honest... Even such characters as Sodom became legends in the franchise even if they are not a staple roster character anymore... So imagine my surprise when they finally showed Birdie to be all Fat and discusting... I mean from Chain/Knife Wielding Biker Gang leader Steriotype to Discusting Fat lard that tosses bugers as his idle animation... This its almost like you picking a character like rose and making her look like the fat princess with little to no plausable argument...sad i actually really liked the idea of Alpha Birdie...

Btw sorry to bring this up but its been bugging me ever since Akuma First appeared in this Alpha cover and since i am sculpting an Ryu/Akuma Fight Diorama i just have to know... So look at this images and please tell me im not the only person who ever questioned WTF is up with this...

Ok So basicly what i see here is that (even tho Ryu is still a teenager here) Akuma is far Taller than Ryu right Like no way Ryu will ever grow to be that tall! Ever! Even in most Capcom made SF movies where Ryu is full grown and Akuma is in like a cameo he is depicted to be far taller/bigger then him... Then why is it that ingame they seem the same height or in some cases Akuma to be actually smaller than Ryu??? it just bugs the crap out of me... I know Quite i lot about SF since i grew up with it but this i never actually knew. so if anyone has any ideas plz let me know cause i would like my Diorama to be accurate... Cheers Guys

EDIT: 90% of the wikis even State that Ryu is 5`9 (1,75) and Akuma is 5´10 (1,78) i mean this is virtually the same height... Mind boggling stuff man...

Last edited:

GAV

[

Yeah i mean, my Fav SF series was always alpha, i just like the punk rock vibe they used, from Birdie to Guy, everything was psychedelic and mostly well thought out to be honest... Even such characters as Sodom became legends in the franchise even if they are not a staple roster character anymore... So imagine my surprise when they finally showed Birdie to be all Fat and discusting... I mean from Chain/Knife Wielding Biker Gang leader Steriotype to Discusting Fat lard that tosses bugers as his idle animation... This its almost like you picking a character like rose and making her look like the fat princess with little to no plausable argument...sad i actually really liked the idea of Alpha Birdie...

Btw sorry to bring this up but its been bugging me ever since Akuma First appeared in this Alpha cover and since i am sculpting an Ryu/Akuma Fight Diorama i just have to know... So look at this images and please tell me im not the only person who ever questioned WTF is up with this...

Ok So basicly what i see here is that (even tho Ryu is still a teenager here) Akuma is far Taller than Ryu right Like no way Ryu will ever grow to be that tall! Ever! Even in most Capcom made SF movies where Ryu is full grown and Akuma is in like a cameo he is depicted to be far taller/bigger then him... Then why is it that ingame they seem the same height or in some cases Akuma to be actually smaller than Ryu??? it just bugs the crap out of me... I know Quite i lot about SF since i grew up with it but this i never actually knew. so if anyone has any ideas plz let me know cause i would like my Diorama to be accurate... Cheers Guys

EDIT: 90% of the wikis even State that Ryu is 5`9 (1,75) and Akuma is 5´10 (1,78) i mean this is virtually the same height... Mind boggling stuff man...
Anime does what it wants.

You want another wall-breaker?

Timelines always get stronger based on the story - not history. If he's the next great villain, he will be entirely more powerful than the storylines' past ones - whether he be a warrior from the past or one born yesterday. Western action films have just recently seemed to adopt this rule as well.

Noob
Anime does what it wants.

You want another wall-breaker?

Timelines always get stronger based on the story - not history. If he's the next great villain, he will be entirely more powerful than the storylines' past ones - whether he be a warrior from the past or one born yesterday. Western action films have just recently seemed to adopt this rule as well.
Most non ingame depictions of Akuma they Show him As being way taller than Ryu, only ingame do you actually see comperable heights honestly... It just feels they wanted him to be Way taller but due to the moves they wanted him to do it would look weird for him to be that tall... Besides Akuma is the Strongest Character in SF lore in my opinion, while this is debatable due to Some thinking Evil Ryu might be Stronger and he might, i still feel Akuma is the strongest character in all of SF to this point, regardless of new appearing villains...which honestly is not even that many... Not many that Fight Akuma even match him, As far as i can Recall the only that did was his brother Gouken, and Gen, and the only reason they managed to survive was because they had the ability to empty their soul and survive his Shun Goku Satsu... Akuma even Beat Alpha Bison with the Psyco Drive Active which was the strongest version of Bison to date, which in itself makes this Bison Far superior to 90% of the cast... Unfortunally tho i dont really feel Akuma is a Villain, he is more the Force of nature type... a character that is meant to be the true obstacle for the hero to overcome but not a evil that drives the story

haketh

Noob
Cant Coment on Dhalsim But in regards to Shotos the problem is not that there are to many of them is that they are not unique enouth past the 4 main ones (Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Sagat) The SF title only ever needed these 4 and honestly not taking into consideration the condition of Ken in SFV the new changes to him are actually very refreshing to see... Akuma and Sagat in their own right are pretty unique Shotos, the problem came from the "mass production" of that archtype in the latest iteration of the game (Ultra SFIV) i can understand ppl like characters such as E.Ryu Oni Gouken Sakura Seth Dan and Sean even i do, i love the idea of Evil Ryu and Gouken... but honestly the game doesnt need this many unoriginal characters that play relatively the same, now if they where to receive the same treatment as Ken has in SFV, i can see great things for them, but as they stand its just to many of a good thing making it boring and annoying to see...
None of those characters play at all like typical shotos like at all

Reactions: d3v

GAV

Most non ingame depictions of Akuma they Show him As being way taller than Ryu, only ingame do you actually see comperable heights honestly... It just feels they wanted him to be Way taller but due to the moves they wanted him to do it would look weird for him to be that tall... Besides Akuma is the Strongest Character in SF lore in my opinion, while this is debatable due to Some thinking Evil Ryu might be Stronger and he might, i still feel Akuma is the strongest character in all of SF to this point, regardless of new appearing villains...which honestly is not even that many... Not many that Fight Akuma even match him, As far as i can Recall the only that did was his brother Gouken, and Gen, and the only reason they managed to survive was because they had the ability to empty their soul and survive his Shun Goku Satsu... Akuma even Beat Alpha Bison with the Psyco Drive Active which was the strongest version of Bison to date, which in itself makes this Bison Far superior to 90% of the cast... Unfortunally tho i dont really feel Akuma is a Villain, he is more the Force of nature type... a character that is meant to be the true obstacle for the hero to overcome but not a evil that drives the story
All of that is fun, but its speculation.

SF has never been as much story driven as it is character archetype driven.

That may change with the movie if its a success, but for now it remains archetype driven.

You can't even begin to compare it to MK lore because SF is bare-bones by comparison.

d3v

SRK
I have no problem linking to the source if ask smart-ass, most people i've encounter here don't like clicking links to an external website.
At the very least you could not copy the article word for word. That's just straight up plagiarism.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
At the very least you could not copy the article word for word. That's just straight up plagiarism.
Yeah, he could have at least said something about it being from SRK, but let's not get over-dramatic. It's a forum post, not a front page article and he's not making money off your work.

BTW, did you see that eventhubs article? :DOGE

A brand new, three gigabyte update for Street Fighter 5 just became available on PlayStation 4. After downloading, we've found that update is for an "overall renew for next beta test."

We don't yet have any information as to how many characters will be available, when this beta will begin or how long it will last, but we have reached out to Capcom for more information.

Noob
All of that is fun, but its speculation.

SF has never been as much story driven as it is character archetype driven.

That may change with the movie if its a success, but for now it remains archetype driven.

You can't even begin to compare it to MK lore because SF is bare-bones by comparison.
Not really, All that information is fact. Sf lore may be scattered and dificult to piece out, but its quite there. The fights in question All happen Pre Alpha and in Alpha 1, Just like some MK endings are not cannon, Some in SF are not as well, true, But with the help of the games and the UDON comics which base themselfs on the main timeline of SF you can piece out factual information, because even tho i agree that sf is very barebones and mostly driven by its archtypes it still has a Story they most follow to show progress in the characters, mainly ryu and ken, even if that story is fairly poor and all over the place...

None of those characters play at all like typical shotos like at all
The Shoto archtype is defineed by this parameters:
Having a fireball : Check on all characters mentioned
Having a DP: Check on all characters mentioned
Having a Tatsu: Check on all characters mentioned

wether you play them like shotos or not is irrelevant play styles are not defined by the game, they are defined by the players... I can play a character like Akuma complitely diferent than you would, but we would still have to constrict ourselfs to his archtype, meaning we would toss fireballs, use DP and tatsu moves to max damage on combos...

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
We should have our own article on that up as soon as my editors get to publishing it.
That's cool. I was just kind of showing how to quote website articles. It's pretty cool that we get another beta though...

Status
Not open for further replies.