What's new

SFV Beta Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Not really, All that information is fact. Sf lore may be scattered and dificult to piece out, but its quite there. The fights in question All happen Pre Alpha and in Alpha 1, Just like some MK endings are not cannon, Some in SF are not as well, true, But with the help of the games and the UDON comics which base themselfs on the main timeline of SF you can piece out factual information, because even tho i agree that sf is very barebones and mostly driven by its archtypes it still has a Story they most follow to show progress in the characters, mainly ryu and ken, even if that story is fairly poor and all over the place...

The Shoto archtype is defineed by this parameters:
Having a fireball : Check on all characters mentioned
Having a DP: Check on all characters mentioned
Having a Tatsu: Check on all characters mentioned

wether you play them like shotos or not is irrelevant play styles are not defined by the game, they are defined by the players... I can play a character like Akuma complitely diferent than you would, but we would still have to constrict ourselfs to his archtype, meaning we would toss fireballs, use DP and tatsu moves to max damage on combos...
Dunno about the comics, but it seems like MK lore pieces together nicely - while with SF's story, not so much...

Agreed on the Shotos though. Even Sagat is considered by many to be a Shoto, even though the term Shoto was clearly taken from Shotokan to represent the base style of Ken, Ryu, Akuma, and Gouken - and Sagat's base style is clearly Muay Thai. This even further shows that SF is an archetype driven game. What the characters do in the game outweighs any lore.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
so - anybody hear any whispers when the next beta phase is starting? my ps4 just did the update yest

Noob
Dunno about the comics, but it seems like MK lore pieces together nicely - while with SF's story, not so much...

Agreed on the Shotos though. Even Sagat is considered by many to be a Shoto, even though the term Shoto was clearly taken from Shotokan to represent the base style of Ken, Ryu, Akuma, and Gouken - and Sagat's base style is clearly Muay Thai. This even further shows that SF is an archetype driven game. What the characters do in the game outweighs any lore.
Gotta be honest tho im much more of a MK guy than SF, but i do find some enjoyment in SF and iv read the comics which to be fair are actually really good, i would recomend if anyone has any interest in following a semi cohisive SF timeline something the games dont really offer...

Yeah your correct the term Shoto is a drived shortening for Shotokan The fighting style associated with Ryu Ken etc... But thats a translation problem between Capcom USA and Capcom Japan... Originally and Art Style Ryu Ken etc.. use is called Ansatsuken which in terms is an umbrella word for any Fighting art that is associated with assassination.
Unfortunally the style used by Ryu is not actually Shotokan Karate, they actually have little in comun... Just for reference a Shotokan user would resemble someone like Makoto, more centered in traditional Karate poses and power house strikes.

But with all that being said i complitely agree with you that even tho some ppl reference Sagat as a shoto, he by definition is not one... Like i said in my post to describe a shoto you need 3 things, Fireballs, DP and a Tatsu like move... and unfortunally Sagat lacks 2 of the 3 mentioned... via the lore of SF during the events where Ryu beats Sagat with a Shoryuken creating his iconic scar, at this point in time Sagats Fighting Style is a pure Muay Thai like you mentioned.. After his defeat by Ryu he saw the power in the Ansatsuken fighting style, mainly the power of the Shoryuken, so he proceded to create his own version of a shoryuken ( Tiger Uppercut ) giving him a Shoto like move without being a true shoto, So the Tiger Uppercut is a move he copied, and is not his own so cannot be considered in his Archtype.. As for the 3rd thing he is missing, A tatsu. Yeah, its true he has Tiger Knee which functions pretty similarly to a Tastu in it moves him forward with a powerfull hit, but they are not one and the same, the Tiger Knee is an Exagerated traditional Flying Knee tech very comunly used by Muay Thai practitioners and nothing else... So is he a Shoto? hmm no not really, But he functions very similarly to one and can fit that group depending on how you want to look at it... Tricky stuff

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Gotta be honest tho im much more of a MK guy than SF, but i do find some enjoyment in SF and iv read the comics which to be fair are actually really good, i would recomend if anyone has any interest in following a semi cohisive SF timeline something the games dont really offer...

Yeah your correct the term Shoto is a drived shortening for Shotokan The fighting style associated with Ryu Ken etc... But thats a translation problem between Capcom USA and Capcom Japan... Originally and Art Style Ryu Ken etc.. use is called Ansatsuken which in terms is an umbrella word for any Fighting art that is associated with assassination.
Unfortunally the style used by Ryu is not actually Shotokan Karate, they actually have little in comun... Just for reference a Shotokan user would resemble someone like Makoto, more centered in traditional Karate poses and power house strikes.

But with all that being said i complitely agree with you that even tho some ppl reference Sagat as a shoto, he by definition is not one... Like i said in my post to describe a shoto you need 3 things, Fireballs, DP and a Tatsu like move... and unfortunally Sagat lacks 2 of the 3 mentioned... via the lore of SF during the events where Ryu beats Sagat with a Shoryuken creating his iconic scar, at this point in time Sagats Fighting Style is a pure Muay Thai like you mentioned.. After his defeat by Ryu he saw the power in the Ansatsuken fighting style, mainly the power of the Shoryuken, so he proceded to create his own version of a shoryuken ( Tiger Uppercut ) giving him a Shoto like move without being a true shoto, So the Tiger Uppercut is a move he copied, and is not his own so cannot be considered in his Archtype.. As for the 3rd thing he is missing, A tatsu. Yeah, its true he has Tiger Knee which functions pretty similarly to a Tastu in it moves him forward with a powerfull hit, but they are not one and the same, the Tiger Knee is an Exagerated traditional Flying Knee tech very comunly used by Muay Thai practitioners and nothing else... So is he a Shoto? hmm no not really, But he functions very similarly to one and can fit that group depending on how you want to look at it... Tricky stuff
Good post.

Most people entrenched in SF culture consider Sagat a Shoto. That why I say it is an archetype-driven game because he fits the mold on a functional level only. If you were to call him a shoto for story purposes, that just makes no sense.

This is a set of pretty solid leftover matches I have compiled today.

Back then I started playing SF2 on my Sega Mega Drive and during the last 21 years I have played every single Street Fighter game
which has been released - SF Gem Fighter on PS1, SF EX on PS2, SF Alpha series and SF3 on Dreamcast etc - SF has always been one of my favorite game franchises among with Shenmue and FF7. With the release of SF4 which
was also the first SF game I have put in the most time & work into
in order to get on a decent skill lvl / that brought me to this FGC
because before this time I never rly had any chance to play vs other ppl other than the CPU AI since there was absolutely no SF scene here where I live.
I have been playing SF4
for 7 years now, but now it's time to move on
and putting my main focus on SF5. For me it's 7 more
years of learning, meeting many strong players,
helping new players with tutorials & tips, give new talents a spotlight and keep supporting SF5 and it's community.

I think SF5 has a bright future.
32 days to go until SFV.

Thanks for playing and good games.

Atomic Era

Grundy want pants too.
Getting a strange bug though. Everything is set up so I can play as Birdie, but the last 4 matches I wind up as R. Mika. Anyone else experiencing something like this?

Atomic Era

Grundy want pants too.
Set your favorite character to Birdie in the options menu.
That's the thing though. I set him as my favorite character as soon as I got in. Played two matches as Birdie then came across an R. Mika and played the next few matches as her despite my selection. Had to close out the beta and go back in before it was fixed.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
That's the thing though. I set him as my favorite character as soon as I got in. Played two matches as Birdie then came across an R. Mika and played the next few matches as her despite my selection. Had to close out the beta and go back in before it was fixed.
OK that is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.