What's new

SFV Beta Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
This is going to sound really dumb, it is, but I just fucking hate not knowing everything about a game. It's why I'm stuck in MK9. I don't know when some asshole is doing something unsafe over and over again. Ugh. I need to chill lol.

Edit: I could be wrong but it looks like Laura's light shoulder attack thing is neutral on block. Bitch. lol

Last edited:

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
play a few more matches and i must say .... i suck with pad..esp since im using the thumbstick and not the dpad. but - im finally finding my footing with this game. ken is def a shell of what capcom promised - i really hope they change him back

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Real talk, when this game comes out one of you is going to have to practice with me to be less shitty. I can't imagine being as good as I am in some fighters and being absolute ass in this game. I'm not doing something right and just can't figure out what. -.-

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
That leaping attack she has gives me nightmares. Had a match against a Karin earlier where it beat out everything I tried and he'd just keep doing it.
Her overhead punch thing? I actually found I couldn't abuse it at all because people mashing jab would clip me out of it. It's more of a hit-confirm if anything because it gives her a hard knockdown.

If she has one abusable special it's her light double-kick thing (qcb+k). Appears to be totally safe on block and very spammable. I got a ton of mileage out of it today, especially since once you condition your opponent to hit buttons after they block the 2 kicks, you can do the forward or roundhouse version of it and punish them for making the wrong guess.

She's dirty for sure. Gets in with relative ease and mixes you up hard...she's essentially an NRS character transplanted into SF. I'm maining her because I love Karin as a character, but I think she's a contender for top 1 of this beta.

Atomic Era

Grundy want pants too.
Her overhead punch thing? I actually found I couldn't abuse it at all because people mashing jab would clip me out of it. It's more of a hit-confirm if anything because it gives her a hard knockdown.

If she has one abusable special it's her light double-kick thing (qcb+k). Appears to be totally safe on block and very spammable. I got a ton of mileage out of it today, especially since once you condition your opponent to hit buttons after they block the 2 kicks, you can do the forward or roundhouse version of it and punish them for making the wrong guess.

She's dirty for sure. Gets in with relative ease and mixes you up hard...she's essentially an NRS character transplanted into SF. I'm maining her because I love Karin as a character, but I think she's a contender for top 1 of this beta.
My problem I guess is I was trying to space her out since I honestly think her pressure is better than Nash's. She'd leap through sonic boom, it'd beat out Moonsault if I tried it at the same time and it'd catch me if I tried to neutral jump and punish. It didn't occur to me to mash out :( I'll definitely try next time. Thanks for the tip.

Scott The Scot

How to beat noobs with Ryu in SFV. Guarenteed end game:

1) At the end of the game, go 3/4 of the screen away from your opponent and activate V-trigger.
2) Walk forward a step or two
3) Wait and get ready to input a DP because they WILL jump at you
4) SSSHHHHORYUUUKEN!!!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I've finally got a grasp of the game but there's one thing I don't understand. How they hell do I get grabbed on opponents WUs???

Like I'm using Chun-Li mostly. So say I get whatever knockdown. Sometimes I'll pressure with like a low poke or something but I get wake up grabbed. Is this normal in SF??

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
I havent (and cant) had the chance to use Karin, from a beta or ago,
I've finally got a grasp of the game but there's one thing I don't understand. How they hell do I get grabbed on opponents WUs???

Like I'm using Chun-Li mostly. So say I get whatever knockdown. Sometimes I'll pressure with like a low poke or something but I get wake up grabbed. Is this normal in SF??
Exact opposite for me, but I think its just Laura'd poopbuttass throw range

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
So it seems like this is so much a beta test, as opposed to a demo, they they just didn't finish most characters link list. Rashid doesn't seem like he can link anything other than lights into each other? In this world, the grapplers rule so hard! Mika and Gief seem real good right now.

Fun beta though, I'm getting matches super quick, has almost every character, training mode works for the most part. I've been out of street fighter a long time so my matches are pretty ridiculous. I really missed dps though, it's nice to have them back. :r:d:qtr:fp

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I think @ChatterBox has this right.. this feels heavily like a *beta*. A lot of people were expecting something a lot closer to a demo. The game has some cool shit, but the characters really feel mostly unfinished to me. The more I have fiddled with it, the more convinced of this I've become. I'm almost willing to bet when we see the actual release in February we will see a VERY different game entirely.

My internet has been liquid garbage for a week now and I dont know why, @slacked can verify that from tonight, lol. SEE IM NOT DUCKING YOU I JUST CANT PLAY ONLINE OMG.. so I havent gotten in a lot of actual play time with the beta, but what I've done in training mode really makes me feel like the game is no where near where they intend it to be on release.

@SaltShaker When V drops, if we have a solid connection, I'm down for some training sessions.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
My thoughts on SFV's netcode and why it's important for someone like me.

Time.

I have a good connection, great connection, and in SFV I'm playing who knows who in America and a ton of people from Canada, and out of about 250-300 total games this weekend against these random strangers I had 4 games that lagged. 4. Every match was either "wow that was really smooth" or "wtf am I playing offline?" except for 4. I expected good, but it far exceeded my expectations.

I'm pretty competitive and one of the main things that halts me from reaching my next level in MKX is time. I have a ton on the weekend but limited on weekdays. Life is busy for me and I can go to my locals once a week and have a gathering another night, but I can't get more matches than 2 days a week at best because of time and the online in MKX. With less time I need online, unlike back in my T5 DR days I didn't because I had all the time in the world for arcades. I cannot adjust to that much lag so I end up sporadically practicing now and playing the best I can on meet ups. I've hit a wall where I'm good enough to beat a lot of people offline because I learn fighters fast and have a good understanding of them, but rarely can beat Dula or Coach Steve's main's at my local/at a house and never once in tournament. It sucks. I know I'd break that walk down if I was able to play a couple of hours a night online and then travel to locals or majors within reasonable distance. The reality is, instead of being able to play 90min-2 hours every weeknight online + offline, I can only do practice mode and play actual people 1-2 times a week.

In SFV this won't be an issue. I can play every night and overload on weekends. This online feels almost identical to offline to the point where a lot of times I can't tell the difference. If the online in the finished product is what this beta played like then I'm hopping over to the SF wagon. In all honesty I do like MK a little more overall, but the ability to get all the MU exp I would ever need online and then compete outweighs that.

This online experience has officially won me over. The reign of Chun-Li starts in February.

Scott The Scot

My thoughts on SFV's netcode and why it's important for someone like me.

Time.

I have a good connection, great connection, and in SFV I'm playing who knows who in America and a ton of people from Canada, and out of about 250-300 total games this weekend against these random strangers I had 4 games that lagged. 4. Every match was either "wow that was really smooth" or "wtf am I playing offline?" except for 4. I expected good, but it far exceeded my expectations.

I'm pretty competitive and one of the main things that halts me from reaching my next level in MKX is time. I have a ton on the weekend but limited on weekdays. Life is busy for me and I can go to my locals once a week and have a gathering another night, but I can't get more matches than 2 days a week at best because of time and the online in MKX. With less time I need online, unlike back in my T5 DR days I didn't because I had all the time in the world for arcades. I cannot adjust to that much lag so I end up sporadically practicing now and playing the best I can on meet ups. I've hit a wall where I'm good enough to beat a lot of people offline because I learn fighters fast and have a good understanding of them, but rarely can beat Dula or Coach Steve's main's at my local/at a house and never once in tournament. It sucks. I know I'd break that walk down if I was able to play a couple of hours a night online and then travel to locals or majors within reasonable distance. The reality is, instead of being able to play 90min-2 hours every weeknight online + offline, I can only do practice mode and play actual people 1-2 times a week.

In SFV this won't be an issue. I can play every night and overload on weekends. This online feels almost identical to offline to the point where a lot of times I can't tell the difference. If the online in the finished product is what this beta played like then I'm hopping over to the SF wagon. In all honesty I do like MK a little more overall, but the ability to get all the MU exp I would ever need online and then compete outweighs that.

This online experience has officially won me over. The reign of Chun-Li starts in February.
Great read! I'm glad you've managed to find what you're looking for! Even though I'm in Scotland, I'm getting a solid connection after SFV drops. I'll be totally down to play games with you man.

Chun-Li's air-airs and just genereally NJK. Mmm my goood, Kung Jin is that you!?

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Great read! I'm glad you've managed to find what you're looking for! Even though I'm in Scotland, I'm getting a solid connection after SFV drops. I'll be totally down to play games with you man.

Chun-Li's air-airs and just genereally NJPs. Mmm my goood, Kung Jin is that you!?
No doubt any time. We'll definitely try. My connection is the typical "insert why it's great" one so we have a shot. I'll be playing like an addict lol.

It's what they mean when they say you have to find the right character! I did ok with Laura and Karin, but Chun-Li is the only one that I could find consistency and understanding with. I felt like I was finally playing the SFV I hear about and I saw on stream lol. Love her pokes/normals, her defense, her air game of death, her range, damn near everything. The only thing I don't like is her shitty "jump at you" V-Skill lol. But she's so complete it doesn't really matter at all. She's the one. :D

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
I think @ChatterBox has this right.. this feels heavily like a *beta*. A lot of people were expecting something a lot closer to a demo. The game has some cool shit, but the characters really feel mostly unfinished to me. The more I have fiddled with it, the more convinced of this I've become. I'm almost willing to bet when we see the actual release in February we will see a VERY different game entirely.

My internet has been liquid garbage for a week now and I dont know why, @slacked can verify that from tonight, lol. SEE IM NOT DUCKING YOU I JUST CANT PLAY ONLINE OMG.. so I havent gotten in a lot of actual play time with the beta, but what I've done in training mode really makes me feel like the game is no where near where they intend it to be on release.

@SaltShaker When V drops, if we have a solid connection, I'm down for some training sessions.
But in reality, you're ducking me.

:DOGE

darkmoonlight_va

Kitana Assassin Main
I am still trying to learn how to play the game; anyone have any advice with just MKX experience? I played a lot of Chun-Li this time around!

Status
Not open for further replies.