What's new

SF’s 30th Anniversary Collection: Will NRS follow suit?

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I hope they do but I'm not sure they will, I still have Arkade Kollection and those ports were all over the place. The last re-release before AK that comes to mind is UMK3 port for the DS (which was amazing btw.)

I feel like the company resources they could use to make the updated ports are busy working on the Mobile games, seeing as all 3 mobile games are still being updated. They also currently have to outsource porting to PC for current gen games so they're probably all tied up.
There also was a 360 port of UMK3 and a PS3 port of MK2, as well as ports of MK1 and UMK3 in the special editions of MKD and MKA, all of them were great ports.

I'd like it to happen but who knows, MK4 especially needs some love. It would be sweet if they did this and made it for the Switch too. Imagine the ability to play other people via wifi with them on the go as well as home online, that would be sick. One thing I'll say about Capcom that NRS needs to do is they port most of their SF games to all consoles.
Ed Boon said he wants to port NRS/WB games to the Switch, like IJ2, and there were discussions about it. All of NRS/WB games are now on PS and XB as well as PC. Maybe it's only a matter of time before they will come to the Switch.

mkf, the thing is, old capcom games still have playerbase. sf players, the community CARE ABOUT THEIR LEGACY GAMES!!
thats unfortunately not the case in our nrs comm.
LBSH the most of these newer nrs players (since mk9) dont really give a fuck about classic mk.
just some nostalgic OG,s, arcade veterans and pre mk9 3d-mk players maybe. nobody else care about classic mk.

thats the thing imo
How do you know that all of the Capcom players, both old and new ones, care about the classic SF games? As far as I can tell, if the newer players in the NRS community don't care about the classic MK games, that is the truth for newer SF players regarding old SF games.That is just taking things way out of proportions. And the old games still have player-base, there was a guy who just one year ago made an online Tutorial for online play in MKA. And the old SF player-base isn't that big anyway.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
There also was a 360 port of UMK3 and a PS3 port of MK2, as well as ports of MK1 and UMK3 in the special editions of MKD and MKA, all of them were great ports.
True, i forgot about those since its been so long. Also there was the MK2 port that was in Shaolin Monks, was pretty good, but not "Arcade perfect"

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
TBH I actually didn't know about the MK2 port in MK:SM.
It was your reward for smokes missions.

They should just HD remaster MK: D, MK:A and MK:SM with a clean up and online functionality to the classic games ports since they are included in those 3-D games. It would complete the MK1-3 classic trilogy with the 3D games for those who want it.

Roy Arkon

It was your reward for smokes missions.

They should just HD remaster MK: D, MK:A and MK:SM with a clean up and online functionality to the classic games ports since they are included in those 3-D games. It would complete the MK1-3 classic trilogy with the 3D games for those who want it.
If it is possible it might actually work, but I think that most likely they would just put individual ports for every game in the collection.

@Roy Arkon

first of all, in japan they still play a lot of classic sf mainly st, zero3 and third strike.
dedicated highlevel players but also guys like tokido or daigo for instance.
these games are played at arcades and tournaments.

same with usa. its not so difficult to see that also in the usa , in major tournaments they still have classic sf side events, this includes evolution.

in europe, this goes aswell just smaller then in japan and the usa.

i can tell you, a lot of new sf5 players do have interest in classic sf, third strike for the most part, then st. lets not forget sf4!

now lets look into the nrs comm.
mk9 is dead
igau is dead
mkx is almost dead
no tournaments, no side events.
just here and there some guys playing it.

this is worse with classic mk.
of course there are players (like myself) who still play classic mk. in the us and also south an central america.
but its not comparable with capcom.
its kinda obvious i mean you just have to walk with eyes open to see what i am talking about.....

also i forgot about ggpo/fightcade
i play there classic sf since its available, like 10 years.
there you find a lot of highlevel competition in those classic sf games but also kof.

trufenix

bye felicia
There is literally no harder task in fighting game development than converting a game to rollback. None.

Except maybe putting human torch in mvc. Apparently that's just fucking impossible.

Roy Arkon

@Roy Arkon

first of all, in japan they still play a lot of classic sf mainly st, zero3 and third strike.
dedicated highlevel players but also guys like tokido or daigo for instance.
these games are played at arcades and tournaments.

same with usa. its not so difficult to see that also in the usa , in major tournaments they still have classic sf side events, this includes evolution.

in europe, this goes aswell just smaller then in japan and the usa.

i can tell you, a lot of new sf5 players do have interest in classic sf, third strike for the most part, then st. lets not forget sf4!

now lets look into the nrs comm.
mk9 is dead
igau is dead
mkx is almost dead
no tournaments, no side events.
just here and there some guys playing it.

this is worse with classic mk.
of course there are players (like myself) who still play classic mk. in the us and also south an central america.
but its not comparable with capcom.
its kinda obvious i mean you just have to walk with eyes open to see what i am talking about.....
First of all, you can't really put arcades into the equation as arcades are almost completely gone from the west world but in Japan they are still going strong. That means every genre of games can't be played to a high level in arcades in the west, including fighting games, which also include MK games, as well SF and other japanese fighting games outside of Japan.

As for tournies, yes there are still la few tournies for old SF games at major events, but they are EXTREMELY far and few between, it's not like there is a tourney on regular basis for those games in those events, maybe three times a year tops and most likely in Japan (see arcades). if there is outside of japan it's most likely for a very small event. And in that regard, classic MK games aren't different from classic SF games. UMK3 had a tourney 2 years ago to celebrate it's 20th anniversary, just for one. There is also the Kombat Kon, which is an annual event for all things MK and they held tournaments for the classic games there.

The only thing that might stop the creation of a classic collection is just the permission from WB to allow NRS to do such, interest from the community is still there and will always be, it's not at all an issue.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
First of all, you can't really put arcades into the equation as arcades are almost completely gone from the west world but in Japan they are still going strong. That means every genre of games can't be played to a high level in arcades in the west, including fighting games, which also include MK games, as well SF and other japanese fighting games outside of Japan.

As for tournies, yes there are still la few tournies for old SF games at major events, but they are EXTREMELY far and few between, it's not like there is a tourney on regular basis for those games in those events, maybe three times a year tops and most likely in Japan (see arcades). if there is outside of japan it's most likely for a very small event. And in that regard, classic MK games aren't different from classic SF games. UMK3 had a tourney 2 years ago to celebrate it's 20th anniversary, just for one. There is also the Kombat Kon, which is an annual event for all things MK and they held tournaments for the classic games there.

The only thing that might stop the creation of a classic collection is just the permission from WB to allow NRS to do such, interest from the community is still there and will always be, it's not at all an issue.

Didn't want to say anything earlier but he is 100% right. The older SF games are still being played and are accessible in tournaments and locals. It still has a huge competitive base in the states and in other countries. Just letting you know because it's obvious you are not familiar with the scene.

@Linkuei82
here in europe do exist some huge sf3 third strike communitys: uk, france, germany, austria and so on. in almost any tournament there are side events.
on the other side, there is no single mk2/umk3 community. just some players here and there like myself lol.

Last edited:
Didn't want to say anything earlier but he is 100% right. The older SF games are still being played and are accessible in tournaments and locals. It still has a huge competitive base in the states and in other countries. Just letting you know because it's obvious you are not familiar with the scene.
Lol I didn't want to say anything either because I love the mk series but I feel I have to now because it's not right for someone to write things they either have no idea what they're talking about or just cant face reality. Both you and @MAPUSA are 100% right. SF legacy games are way way more popular still than mk legacy games, it's not even close. I'll just provide facts here so that this debate ends and we can focus on making NRS do what capcom did with their anniversary. SF ST still are part of major tournaments, not only side shows:
EVO 2017:SF (super turbo)
Canada Cup 2017: SF (super turbo)
Red Bull Battle Grounds 2017:SF (super turbo)
NAWNF: SF (super turbo)
NAMNF: SF (super turbo)

These are all recent tournaments from THIS YEAR. All had 80+ entrants too. I mean I didn't wanna go this route but hopefully we can learn to accept this, stop hating on street fighter and focus on making our NRS community better.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
mkf, the thing is, old capcom games still have playerbase. sf players, the community CARE ABOUT THEIR LEGACY GAMES!!
thats unfortunately not the case in our nrs comm.
LBSH the most of these newer nrs players (since mk9) dont really give a fuck about classic mk.
just some nostalgic OG,s, arcade veterans and pre mk9 3d-mk players maybe. nobody else care about classic mk.

thats the thing imo
I think while a lot of that is true, the older MK fanbase care more about the classics, let's be honest MKDC, MK9, MK X and even the 3D MK's appealed to a different gen of players entirely(MK guys took risks and still had a following with 3D, when Capcom tried this well it failed entirely) SF is older so naturally it'll have a bigger oldschool fanbase but MK's isn't exactly nothing especially with MK's recent success past 10 years or so, MK has been very relevant between the games, MKL, new movie talk. I think we care but the push isn't as big as some other fanbases but I agree with you about the newer gen not caring about the older MK's which is a shame because MK 9 had a very nostalgic feel to it that the 3D ones lacked. But I do think there are some players of new who like the other MK's, I've met some people online who loved UMK3 and MK 2 who are 10-15 years younger than me, I'm an oldschooler myself so that gives me hope. But MK 4 seriously needs something it's not the best MK but it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be either.

I kind of see MK and SF doing reverse, meaning MK's classics aren't getting as much support as SF classics and their newer games are blah, where as MK's newer games are getting a lot better and more support, awards, sales etc, etc I'm pretty confident if NRS asked WB to redo the first 4 or even 5 games Deadly Alliance included aka MK 5, with the net play of MK X and more so I2 that would be a badass kollection.

Ed Boon said he wants to port NRS/WB games to the Switch, like IJ2, and there were discussions about it. All of NRS/WB games are now on PS and XB as well as PC. Maybe it's only a matter of time before they will come to the Switch.
That's good to hear, I just hope they actually do it I mean not for nothing but IMO if they can make it for PC(a group of people who tend to shit on fighting ports of PC for years now) I think NRS can appeal to Nintendo, I mean every time they do they get a good product. MK A for Wii was actually better than the Xbox and PS2 versions, cleaned up some glitches, had Khameleon and had more modes but lacked online play. Injustice 1 for Wii U wasn't bad at all. UMK3 for DS was awesome, so I mean I know they can do it I'm just wondering why NRS hasn't pushed more for the Switch. I happen to work in electronics retail currently as one of my jobs and the switch sold out numerous times this past month nevermind Black Friday, the Wii U did not sell nearly this well. Let's hope though man, that's good though. It seems Ed respects the Switch which is a good sign. I'd love to play MK 4 port on the switch or 1-4 with net play, GGPO netcode dude I'd live on that shit forget MK X and I2 lol if they did that.

@MKF30
for my part, i was trying to build an classic mk scene in germany/europe the last 10 years with no success.
just some couple of mk9 guys played some umk3 but only casuals, never with the intention to play it at highlevel.

so, of course it would be awesome to have classic mk for ps4 but i think its not gonna happen.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@MKF30
for my part, i was trying to build an classic mk scene in germany/europe the last 10 years with no success.
just some couple of mk9 guys played some umk3 but only casuals, never with the intention to play it at highlevel.

so, of course it would be awesome to have classic mk for ps4 but i think its not gonna happen.
Oh you're in Germany? That's neat, I'm in USA I thought you were referring to here or South America, that's why I was saying we have a following I am not too familiar with Europe's classic fanbase though, I've heard you guys have a decent amount of MK fans. Perhaps you're right with Sony, but I'm hopeful something for the Switch in the future will hit, this is also a chance for NRS and WB to be inspired by Capcom's move with this 30th collection, to them to make a new classic collection of their own. Time will tell though I guess. I'm sorry you had no success on that.

Roy Arkon

@Linkuei82
here in europe do exist some huge sf3 third strike communitys: uk, france, germany, austria and so on. in almost any tournament there are side events.
on the other side, there is no single mk2/umk3 community. just some players here and there like myself lol.
Lol I didn't want to say anything either because I love the mk series but I feel I have to now because it's not right for someone to write things they either have no idea what they're talking about or just cant face reality. Both you and @MAPUSA are 100% right. SF legacy games are way way more popular still than mk legacy games, it's not even close. I'll just provide facts here so that this debate ends and we can focus on making NRS do what capcom did with their anniversary. SF ST still are part of major tournaments, not only side shows:
EVO 2017:SF (super turbo)
Canada Cup 2017: SF (super turbo)
Red Bull Battle Grounds 2017:SF (super turbo)
NAWNF: SF (super turbo)
NAMNF: SF (super turbo)

These are all recent tournaments from THIS YEAR. All had 80+ entrants too. I mean I didn't wanna go this route but hopefully we can learn to accept this, stop hating on street fighter and focus on making our NRS community better.
Ok I was wrong regarding the classic SF tournies. But still, if there is still at least one annual even that features tournies for the classic MK games (the Kombat Kon) that means there is still a following for those classic games, as well as with what @MKF30 said regarding younger players who loved MK2 and UMK3. All we can hope is that WB will allow NRS or maybe another studio to work on these ports. Also @ILuvFightGames I'm not hating on classic SF games, please don't put words in my mouth.

I think while a lot of that is true, the older MK fanbase care more about the classics, let's be honest MKDC, MK9, MK X and even the 3D MK's appealed to a different gen of players entirely(MK guys took risks and still had a following with 3D, when Capcom tried this well it failed entirely) SF is older so naturally it'll have a bigger oldschool fanbase but MK's isn't exactly nothing especially with MK's recent success past 10 years or so, MK has been very relevant between the games, MKL, new movie talk. I think we care but the push isn't as big as some other fanbases but I agree with you about the newer gen not caring about the older MK's which is a shame because MK 9 had a very nostalgic feel to it that the 3D ones lacked. But I do think there are some players of new who like the other MK's, I've met some people online who loved UMK3 and MK 2 who are 10-15 years younger than me, I'm an oldschooler myself so that gives me hope. But MK 4 seriously needs something it's not the best MK but it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be either.

I kind of see MK and SF doing reverse, meaning MK's classics aren't getting as much support as SF classics and their newer games are blah, where as MK's newer games are getting a lot better and more support, awards, sales etc, etc I'm pretty confident if NRS asked WB to redo the first 4 or even 5 games Deadly Alliance included aka MK 5, with the net play of MK X and more so I2 that would be a badass kollection.

That's good to hear, I just hope they actually do it I mean not for nothing but IMO if they can make it for PC(a group of people who tend to shit on fighting ports of PC for years now) I think NRS can appeal to Nintendo, I mean every time they do they get a good product. MK A for Wii was actually better than the Xbox and PS2 versions, cleaned up some glitches, had Khameleon and had more modes but lacked online play. Injustice 1 for Wii U wasn't bad at all. UMK3 for DS was awesome, so I mean I know they can do it I'm just wondering why NRS hasn't pushed more for the Switch. I happen to work in electronics retail currently as one of my jobs and the switch sold out numerous times this past month nevermind Black Friday, the Wii U did not sell nearly this well. Let's hope though man, that's good though. It seems Ed respects the Switch which is a good sign. I'd love to play MK 4 port on the switch or 1-4 with net play, GGPO netcode dude I'd live on that shit forget MK X and I2 lol if they did that.
Very good points regarding MK and SF games. And yeah the it will be awesome to see newer MK games or maybe even classic ones on the Switch.

Last edited:
Ok I was wrong regarding the classic SF tournies. But still, if there is still at least one annual even that features tournies for the classic MK games (the Kombat Kon) that means there is still a following for those classic games, as well as with what @MKF30 said regarding younger players who loved MK2 and UMK3. All we can hope is that WB will allow NRS or maybe another studio to work on these ports. Also @ILuvFightGames I'm not hating on classic SF games, please don't put words in my mouth.

Very good points regarding MK and SF games. And yeah the it will be awesome to see newer MK games or maybe even classic ones on the Switch.
If the shoe don't fit then you don't have to worry about it my dude, simple. Hey at least you had the maturity to admit you were wrong, we all are misinformed at some point so its all good. Leaving that behind I agree with everyone here that wants nrs/wb to bring out the legacy mk games. Those are classic just like the SF ones so why not? I mean that'll be badass, I for one am hoping for this.

Roy Arkon

If the shoe don't fit then you don't have to worry about it my dude, simple. Hey at least you had the maturity to admit you were wrong, we all are misinformed at some point so its all good. Leaving that behind I agree with everyone here that wants nrs/wb to bring out the legacy mk games. Those are classic just like the SF ones so why not? I mean that'll be badass, I for one am hoping for this.
Well it's not like it is super sensetive to admit about something like this, but I'm glad we understand each other and both agree regarding the classic MK games.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
A big reason the classic MK games aren’t played nearly as much is lack of accessibility. There’s no way to reliably practice online. New players ask me all the time about MAME and it’s such a headache for NEW players that they don’t even bother. It’s a headache even for seasoned players. But even if you figure it all out, the netcode isn’t great anyway.

Yes you can play in last gen (360/PS3) but it’s not a great port, and the online is atrocious. And it’s last gen so there’s very few players anyway.