What's new

Sektors lack of fuel

Robotic

Gentleman.
There haven't been any posts in this thread for awhile. Anyone think we should get started on making the guide?
I would say until the committed Sektor players get their collective asses in the Sektor matchup discussion thread to discuss and dissect every matchup, we should hold off as that will be a MAJOR part of the Sektor manual. We can than migrate that info over to the as-yet-to-made thread. Sektor is too awesome to not have you guys in there.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
I dont think CS or myself even really know half the matchups and just tend to play it by ear.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
The only thing I'm confused about the matchup thread is how to estimate 5/5, 6/4, etc. How the hell do you go about assigning numbers? The only info I can really give is what works for me against certain characters.

The only thing I'm confused about the matchup thread is how to estimate 5/5, 6/4, etc. How the hell do you go about assigning numbers? The only info I can really give is what works for me against certain characters.
It's what you think the spread would be if two players of equal skill fought for 10 games with the respective characters. If you think a match-up is in a characters favor, then go with 6-4. If they have a major advantage, 7-3. Free, 8-2 and up. It's all conjecture.

ryublaze

Noob
Hey, I don't know whether to post this in the matchups thread or this one but I did some Up Missile tests against Scorpion's wake-up attacks. You can end with B2, Up Missile and still have time to block his wake-ups. The normal Up Missile will miss if he does a wake-up, but if you end with In Front Up Missile it will hit both of his wake-ups.

B2, In Front Up Missile -> Scorpion's EN Teleport --> Missile hits him right before he hits you. You don't have to block.
B2, In Front Up Missile --> Scorpion's En Takedown --> Missile hits him, but you can still be hit if you try to jump forward or if you don't block.

So basically, when fighting Scorpion always end with B2, In Front Up Missile. Afterwards you can crouch block to be completely safe, or you can jump forward and risk getting hit by Takedown (1 for 1 trade because he'll get hit by the Up Missile).

I also tested ending with 1, In Front Up Missile but the missile doesn't hit him during EN Teleport. It hits him during EN Takedown but it hits while he has armor so he won't be stunned. Ending with Behind Up Missile doesn't hit him out of EN Teleport.

ryublaze

Noob
Hi, today I decided to test Liu Kang's wake-up attacks against Sektor's Up Missile ender and this is what I got:

F4, Up Missile --> Low Fireball --> Missile hits (crouch block the low fireball)
How to punish: Dash forward before blocking. After blocking, dash again and use 2, 1, TU. (1, 2, B1 will whiff.)
F4, Up Missile --> Flying Dragon Kick --> Missile whiffs (crouch to duck under flying dragon kick)
How to punish: Since this wake-up sends Liu Kang to the other side, use a normal Teleport Uppercut.
F4, Up Missile --> Bicycle Kick --> Missile whiffs (crouch to duck under bicycle kick)
How to punish: While Liu Kang is still in the air kicking, dash up and use F4, 3, TU or F2, TU. (He goes over you so you'll be behind him.)
F4, Up Missile --> Parry --> Missile hits (you don't have to block, but do it just in case)
How to punish: Same as punishing Low Fireball.

Conclusion: After ending with F4, Up Missile, always dash forward and crouch block. You can punish all of his wake-ups but you must have quick reaction time. If you try to jump in, you'll get hit by 3 of his wake-up attacks.

I also tried ending with B2, Up Missile but Liu Kang's wake-up attacks will hit you. If you end with 1, Up Missile, the missile will hit Liu Kang during Low Fireball and Parry but it will not stun him.

BTW, nice job Ketchup in your Mortal Monday match!

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Good stuff Raptor. Very helpful. I'm going to start working on stuff like this as soon as I can. Probably after season's beatings this weekend.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Hi, today I decided to test Liu Kang's wake-up attacks against Sektor's Up Missile ender and this is what I got:

1, Up Missile --> Low Fireball --> Missile hits (crouch block the low fireball)
How to punish: Dash forward before blocking. After blocking, dash again and use 2, 1, TU. (1, 2, B1 will whiff.)
1, Up Missile --> Flying Dragon Kick --> Missile whiffs (crouch to duck under flying dragon kick)
How to punish: Since this wake-up sends Liu Kang to the other side, use a normal Teleport Uppercut.
1, Up Missile --> Bicycle Kick --> Missile whiffs (crouch to duck under bicycle kick)
How to punish: While Liu Kang is still in the air kicking, dash up and use F4, 3, TU. (He goes over you so you'll be behind him.)
1, Up Missile --> Parry --> Missile hits (you don't have to block, but do it just in case)
How to punish: Same as punishing Low Fireball.

Conclusion: After ending with 1, Up Missile, always dash forward and crouch block. You can punish all of his wake-ups. If you try to jump in, you'll get hit by 3 of his wake-up attacks.

I also tried ending with B2, Up Missile but Liu Kang's wake-up attacks will hit you.

BTW, nice job Ketchup in your Mortal Monday match!
good stuff on the liu kang finds man, and thanks very much. It's always fun fighting Mustard :)

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Ketchup, you and mustard still possibly coming to chicago? Make sure you let me know so we can get some mirror matches in! haha

This is something that I'm sure everyone knows by now, but I just wanted to make sure we had it in writing for the guide becuase it's not something that is self-apparent when first learning Sektor.

f44 v f43
While f44 by itself net's more damage than f43, the lower damage of the second kick of f43 means that it scales better resulting in more damaging combos. For example:

f44>TU>JK>EXTU>b2>Flame Burner - 37%
f43>TU>JK>EXTU>b2>Flame Burner - 39%

JIP>12b1>f44>TU>JK>EXTU>b2>Flame Burner - 47%
JIP>12b1>f43>TU>JK>EXTU>b2>Flame Burner - 48%

Damage is not the only thing to consider, though. F44 launches farther and higher and f43, which can make it easier to connect other moves into. However, the speed of the second kick means that you can use f43 in situations that you couldn't normally use f44. This is a bit of a moot point, though, as almost all those situations are at the end of a combo and Sektor as much better ending options.

Negative edge is also something to take into account. I personally find it easier to link f44 into TUs than f43 because of negative edge. There are fewer inputs and consequently fewer opportunities for mistakes. But if you are a competative player, there's no reason not to practice f43>TU until you get it perfect so you can always get your extra 1 or 2 percent for free.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Just out of curiosity, why do you guys use b2~flame instead of dash~12~flame? I personally find dash~12~flame better because it puts them at about a half screen away or more, giving you more time to react to fast advancing specials afterwards. I know things like raiden's superman can still hit you even if flame connects.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Just out of curiosity, why do you guys use b2~flame instead of dash~12~flame? I personally find dash~12~flame better because it puts them at about a half screen away or more, giving you more time to react to fast advancing specials afterwards. I know things like raiden's superman can still hit you even if flame connects.
For me, it depends on the matchup. If a character has to respect my back-to-back flame throwers, I use b2 flame (when not using d4 upmissile) to keep them closer. I need them to be apprehensive about my next move after flame thrower. Will it be dash throw? Dash b34? Another flame thrower? F2 into another wide range of options?

If the character can punish back-to-back flame throwers (meaning punish the 2nd one when blocked), I may just finish with upmissile or b21 to knock them away from me since a character that can punish 2 flame throwers I probably don't want near me anyway.

ryublaze

Noob
Good stuff Raptor. Very helpful. I'm going to start working on stuff like this as soon as I can. Probably after season's beatings this weekend.
Thanks. If anyone else wants to test the other characters' wake-ups that'd be great because 32 characters is a lot and I don't really want to do them all lol.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
My favorite local bar started serving liquor tonight. I took a few too many shots of Jackie D and went to town with Sektor. Turns out nobody likes losing to Sektor. Especially Kung Laos.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Here's some info you might like. Sub Zero can 22 you out of any wakeup attack, ever. Try to wakeup and you're eating a small combo. Try to wakeup in the corner and you're eating a bigger combo. IDK what your best options are. CS and I will test it out tonight.

ryublaze

Noob
Sorry everyone I typed out the Liu Kang info wrong. You should end with F4, Up Missile. Ending with F4, Up Missile puts you at closer distance and allows you to punish certain wake-up attacks on block.

I tested Kung Lao today:

F4, Up Missile --> Spin --> Missile hits
How to punish: Dash then do 1, 2, B1 or any combo of your choice.
F4, Up Missile --> EX Spin --> Missile whiffs
How to punish: Same as regular spin.
F4, Up Missile --> Teleport --> Missile hits him out of the air while he goes up (most of the time)
How to punish: If missile hits, you can follow up with a jump kick, TU. If he manages to teleport, either use an uppercut or TU.
F4, Up Missile --> EX Teleport --> Missile hits sometimes (doesn't hit him out of the air due to armor)
How to punish: I think it's better not to punish this but if you can time it, you can TU a little bit after he finishes teleporting before his feet touch the ground.

Conclusion: End with F4, Up Missile then block. Don't jump in or you'll get hit by a spin. Don't try to punish his EX Teleport unless you can time the TU right.

Here's some info you might like. Sub Zero can 22 you out of any wakeup attack, ever. Try to wakeup and you're eating a small combo. Try to wakeup in the corner and you're eating a bigger combo. IDK what your best options are. CS and I will test it out tonight.
Can Sub-Zero 2,2 Sektor if he rolls back then does a Flame Burner?

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
I think if Sektor rolls Sub can't chase them down, but I believe slide gives an untechable knockdown, so... block i guess.

ETA
Yeah, sub's slide means you can't roll. Best bet would be delay getting up, maybe after he starts the string to try and catch him in recovery.

ryublaze

Noob
I think these are Sektor's highest damaging blocked teleport punish combos:

F4, 3, TU, F4, 3, EXTU, B2, Flame Burner (41%)
F4, dash, F4, 3, TU, B3, 4, EXTU, B2, Flame Burner (41%)

His other ones do around 38%.

I was going to make a thread about this, but I figured this would be important information for the guide, if we ever make it.

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have a list of what stings can be interpreted with 1 and where. Sektor's 1 is as most pokes and even faster than some, so knowing what it can interrupt, for a full combo no less, would be a very useful piece of information to have.

ryublaze

Noob
I was going to make a thread about this, but I figured this would be important information for the guide, if we ever make it.

I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have a list of what stings can be interpreted with 1 and where. Sektor's 1 is as most pokes and even faster than some, so knowing what it can interrupt, for a full combo no less, would be a very useful piece of information to have.
I really wish we could start this guide but I've noticed a lack of inactivity in this forum lately. Going through each string in the game would be tedious work and you'd need 2 people to test them all. It'd be really nice information but I don't know if anyone is going to do it.

I really wish we could start this guide but I've noticed a lack of inactivity in this forum lately. Going through each string in the game would be tedious work and you'd need 2 people to test them all. It'd be really nice information but I don't know if anyone is going to do it.
If there was a way to use two different control schemes in Training, that would make things easier.

Actually, I think I can get this information, but I don't know how precise it will be. I've used my Rock Band bass pedal to test block recovery in the past, I'll see if I can rig it to 1 and then jump unto 2p versus.

EDIT: Yeah, that didn't work. The pedals are not precise enough for that type of stuff.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
sorry to get off topic but two things:

does anyone know the the frames on a blocked 2,1,4? It actually seems to be PLUS on block.. maybe like +1

likewise, a blocked f+4,3 leaves you at about 0 so since sektor has a 6 frame jab you can either d+1 for a frame trap, b+3,4 or 1,2,b+1 for the full juggle. There's many more options you can do but these are just some to consider. However if your opponent has a fast punish like kung spin, its just best to block in this case.
HOWEVER, if someone crouch blocks the f+4, the 3 will make sektor go to the other side.. but it seems like both you and your opponent recover at about the same time so you're safe.

EDIT: another thing.. imo Sektor's X-ray is pretty underrated, it has some neat uses for different matchups which I'll explain later
double bump