What's new

Sektors lack of fuel

has led me to believe that i am going to make a character guide based on YOUR inputs in THIS thread. any character based matchup knowledge, normal move properties on certain options (ie: opponent jumps, opponent crouch blocks). Look, we all know sektors basic function here in the mortal kombat...to pwn his pussy ass friend of a robot named Cyrax. Im drunk... mwahah no but seriously, Ketchup, Swifttomhanks, Chaossphere, devilpuncher, robotic, spongebob and red raptor. Im calling for you gentlemen specifically. Give me your best sektor tech, tricks and trades. We will ALL make a sektor guide TOGETHER and make this the BEST character guide out there. Made by the players, for the players.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I guess I will start with some matchup information that works for me. I'll add more posts as time goes on and I learn more matchups.

Sub Zero:
1. Do NOT jump against him. I repeat. Do NOT jump. If you try to jump forward, you'll hit his clone and take a full combo. If he anticipates your backwards jump, he will ice ball you and once again... full combo.

2. Crossing him up is pretty tough since he pretty much revolves around his 22 string. You can cross him up on wake-up but don't try to do it while trading hits in his face.

3. You CAN be aggressive but not too aggressive. If you can get in his face for some pressure and get some hits in, don't spend too long in there. It's easy for slide to catch you off guard and from what I've noticed his strings have decent range on them and yours don't so they can over-rule yours easily. You just don't want to get too aggressive because it's easy to get into the offensive mindset and jump forward against him. This is how he baits you into his clones. If you do manage to get some hits up close on him, use a f2b1, b1, or 214 string to knock him away from you.

4. Keeping him away from you for most of the match is a good strategy. Missiles, up missiles, and forward up-missiles can do you well. Try to keep him at full screen. Once he gets about 1/2 screen away, don't use up missile anymore. He will slide and then be in your face. The further you keep him away the better. Once he gets about halfway in, straight missile can knock him out of slide, although it's not consistent. You want to use flame thrower. Bait the slide. Once you read his slide, you can block it and full combo him.

5. While playing the zoning game against SZ from far away with straight missiles and up missiles, look out for his ice ball. If you straight missile and he ice balls at the same time, he'll get hit by your missile, but you'll be frozen and get full combo'd. Especially now that SZ has 10 more frames on his freeze. After throwing a straight missile or two, most SZ's will want to throw out that ice ball... and this is where sektor excels; the instant air TU. The ice ball comes out a little slow so you have all day to react to it. If you can punish his ice ball every single time... he will have no choice but to try and dodge your missiles. The zoning game against sub is all about reading him.

6. If SZ has you stuck in the corner, the only thing i can really suggest is a wakeup exTU.

Reptile:
1. You want to spend as much time keeping him away from you as much as you possibly can. Be smart about your zoning. Don't just carelessly throw out straight missiles over and over. Stagger the timing. Mix in some up missiles. Once he gets to about three quarters to half screen, stop because he's going to try to dash on you. Make sure you're careful with your flamethrower. It's great as an anti air, but if he blocks it, it's basically a free dash for him.

2. If he tries to zone you with force balls, instant air teleport will award you a full combo.

3. Bait the dash. Bait the dash. Bait the dash. You want to make sure you practice punishing a blocked dash in your off-time because you have a very short window to do so, but if you get that down you can handle reptile.

4. If he gets in on you and is pressuring you with block strings, he's going to end them with either an acid hand or a slide. Acid hand is an overhead and slide hits low. You just have to read it.

Ermac:
1. What usually works for me against ermac is staying at about sweep range on him and baiting the force grab. On block, this gives you PLENTY of time to dash in and work in a full combo.

2. Do not jump at ermac in open space. He'll force grab you and get around 40% damage on you easily.

3. At full screen you can try and zone ermac, but don't be careless. If you bait his teleport punch, you can block it and full combo him.

I don't have many notes on ermac considering I haven't played very many good ones. This is how I beat almost all of the ermacs I've ever played.

Johnny Cage:
1. First thing's first. Do NOT let him near. There are ways to handle him up close, but it's tough and the further he is away from you, the better. Zone him out missile forest style. Be careful if he has meter though. You HAVE to read the exShadow kick. If you don't he knocks you down and is then in your face. Try to bait it, block it, and full combo him. Try to keep him at full screen, but that's easier said than done. Flame thrower is good here, especially as an anti air. If he blocks a flame thrower anywhere near half screen, he can shadow kick you before you can block. Just keep that in mind. Try to bait that shadow kick. If you block it, once again it's full combo.

2. If he gets close, you have to understand his strings. He can no longer link specials after f32 but its still safe. It's f33, 11, and f21 that you have to watch out for. All of these strings are blockable while standing but puts him at frame advantage. What he will usually do here is try to d1 after these strings, so if you time it right, I THINK you can d1 him out of it, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But a safer option would be to block his d1, then cross him over. Just be careful, because if he reads that you're going to block low after his frame traps, he can finish the f33 string with b3, which will keep you in the frame trap, or he can finish the 21 with f2, an overhead and juggle you into a full combo. This guy is all about mind games and reads. I hate playing against johnny cage for this reason.

Robotic

Gentleman.
This idea ain't too shabby, SektorCyrax, but you should consider changing the title of the thread, as no one is going to know what it means! :D

Since I just did this yesterday, I might as well expand on the Mileena match-up here.

MILEENA
1)Don't jump in against her. She can ball cross-ups and TK jump-kicks both for full combos.

2)Try to stay mid-screen and at a distance against her. This is a very frustrating spot for Mileena since her only safe option is sais. She's going to want to get in which means she's either going to try to ball, TK, or dash cancel. Blocked balls or TKs can be punished with a full combo. If she tries to dash-cancel to get in use flame burner and b1 to keep her you.

3)Full screen is also another good place to be, though you have to be careful. Resist the urge to throw missiles at her, since she can punish them on reaction with TKs. Wait for sais and punish. TU>214 is a great option since it will send her all the way back to full screen and starts the process over.

4)If she does get in, block low. Most Mileena's use d4 frequently and for good reason. While Mileena does have two mid starters (split and the b14), both are slow and can be interrupted. Splits can be stopped with either d1 or an uppercut, while the second hit of b14 can be stopped with d1 or d4. Her low starter, b3, is also extremely slow and can't be hit confirmed into a ball.

5)It's best not to get aggressive against Mileena. Her d4 has a better range and than Sektor's normals. Likewise her d4 also makes putting her in a corner more trouble than it's worth.

6)If Mileena has you in a corner, treat is as if she was up close mid-screen. Block the d4's until you get a split, then punish it to get out.

7)Unless you need the meter, up-missile traps are worthless against her. You're better off using b21 to end combos. Don't end with flame burner unless it will win the round, since all her wake-ups are unsafe.

ryublaze

Noob
My name was mentioned? :confused: Idk exactly what to post but if this goes well then it'd be the best Sektor guide out there.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
well basically the key to mastering sektor is almost the same as scorpion: master the instant air TU

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Are you planning on organizing all of this information into one post sektorcyrax? I've just been updating my 1 post so I don't have 20 something different posts on one thread when it's unnecessary.

Also, we should have some way of verifying all of the information that goes into this thread. If you check my matchup information, this is just stuff that works for me. Everybody plays differently, but if we have some way of maybe all agreeing on what should and shouldn't go into the collective guide, we won't give anybody any wrong information.

And finally, start posting in this thread people! We need more discussion in here! Do you agree? Do you disagree? This is the place to hash it out!

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
well basically the key to mastering sektor is almost the same as scorpion: master the instant air TU
mastering the instant air teleport isn't going to make you a beast with sektor, sektor has a huge variety of techniques you need to get to grips with to be great with him.

i think coming together to do a written guide is a great idea. Dunno what i should talk about though lol :p

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Where to began?

I'll collect my thoughts and write something up very soon. This is a great idea. Though, you could just check my tutorial video out - pretty much everything you need to know.........

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
mastering the instant air teleport isn't going to make you a beast with sektor, sektor has a huge variety of techniques you need to get to grips with to be great with him.

i think coming together to do a written guide is a great idea. Dunno what i should talk about though lol :p
Well, there's already a lot of information out there regarding how to do his combos and other general things like that. One thing that I think would be VERY helpful to sektor players right now anyway would be matchup information.

And to get as specific as possible, this sunday I will be going to a friends to do some testing. I'm going to have him try out all of the main combo strings for each character against me so I can see when exactly they can be interrupted and which moves they can be interrupted with. Imagine having the skill to interrupt every string that is capable of being interrupted, every time. Haha.

Robotic

Gentleman.
In my estimation, this thread should be THE spot for anyone who wants to know Sektor - we're talking casual players who want to level up. Once they are, here's how to level up some more. If you are a beast with another character and thinking about picking up Cyber Satan, here is the stuff you should know. Once you do that, here are some difficult universal combos you need to know to play at a high level. Once you do that and you know Sektor inside and out, here is how those things apply against each character. For bad match ups, here are possible counter picks, etc etc etc.

Rough draft breakdown:

1. Sektor's history in MK / Sektor's current story line in MK (not crucial, but nice for us nerds)
2. Glossary of Sektor shit (ex: IATU means Instant Air Tele Uppercut, and this is what THAT means...)
3. What Sektor's playstyle is (to judge whether he may be right for you)
4. Normal moves that are better than other character's normal moves (Ex: Uppercut is faster than most other character's and this is why it is important. Dash is fastest in the game and this is why you need it. On the other end, Overhead is slower than these characters and here are the cons about that)
5. Specials, what they are for and how they can be used (Ex: TU should NOT be thrown out on a read, Here is what this special can be used for)
6. Meter discussion. What EN moves are necessary and when, what moves are NOT. How to play as Sektor with 1, 2 and full meter.
7. Beginner combos
8. Intermediate combos
9. Advanced combos
10. Corner combos
11. Specific to Sektor, upmissile resets. When they are practical, against which characters NOT to do resets on, etc.
12. Recap on combos to sort out which ones should actually be used in real game situations and when. I feel for 7, 8, 9 and 10 above, we should put in impractical combos for the sake of input and timing practice.
13. Finally, in depth discussion of Sektor versus every character in the game. Is it 6-4? 5-5? How do you play against this style of SZ? That style of Scorpion?

Once it's all said and done, all final info should be transferred to a new thread, I'd call it "The Sektor Manual". Then, if someone is up for it or can let me know how to it so I can, all info in this "Sektor Manual" should done on video.

My two cents, does this sound like something killer or do we have to settle this over a pint? :D

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Sounds killer. But I'll take you up on that pint regardless. =P

One thing we should definitely do though is take some of the hard work that was put into some of the other guides on this forum and give those guys credit.

I'm going to start working on this as soon as I can. And if you guys don't mind I can create the "Sektor Manual" thread. The only reason I'm suggesting myself is because I sit on a computer for 8 hours a day at work and am usually on here for a couple hours at night. I can spend a lot of time organizing the thread. As far as WHAT goes in the thread would be up to all of us though.

Robotic

Gentleman.
We should hold off on the Sektor Manual thread until we have a good library to sift through in here. If I'm right, this is going to take a while! That is the intent as I understand it, yes?

Crathen

Death is my business
I'm gonna post some Up missile setups in the guide soon , then we can discuss if those work for you guys , after that i think we should really focus on indepth matchup discussion pondering specials , strings , space control and most of all low pokes excanges which i feel is a section where Sektor hasn't been explored yet.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Without recording, here are some rough estimates on frames for some of his attacks.
1 - 7 frames
2 - 10 frames
b3 - 11or12 frames
d1 - 6 frames
d3 - 7 frames
d4 - need to test more, it's less than 12

ryublaze

Noob
In my estimation, this thread should be THE spot for anyone who wants to know Sektor - we're talking casual players who want to level up. Once they are, here's how to level up some more. If you are a beast with another character and thinking about picking up Cyber Satan, here is the stuff you should know. Once you do that, here are some difficult universal combos you need to know to play at a high level. Once you do that and you know Sektor inside and out, here is how those things apply against each character. For bad match ups, here are possible counter picks, etc etc etc.

Rough draft breakdown:

1. Sektor's history in MK / Sektor's current story line in MK (not crucial, but nice for us nerds)
2. Glossary of Sektor shit (ex: IATU means Instant Air Tele Uppercut, and this is what THAT means...)
3. What Sektor's playstyle is (to judge whether he may be right for you)
4. Normal moves that are better than other character's normal moves (Ex: Uppercut is faster than most other character's and this is why it is important. Dash is fastest in the game and this is why you need it. On the other end, Overhead is slower than these characters and here are the cons about that)
5. Specials, what they are for and how they can be used (Ex: TU should NOT be thrown out on a read, Here is what this special can be used for)
6. Meter discussion. What EN moves are necessary and when, what moves are NOT. How to play as Sektor with 1, 2 and full meter.
7. Beginner combos
8. Intermediate combos
9. Advanced combos
10. Corner combos
11. Specific to Sektor, upmissile resets. When they are practical, against which characters NOT to do resets on, etc.
12. Recap on combos to sort out which ones should actually be used in real game situations and when. I feel for 7, 8, 9 and 10 above, we should put in impractical combos for the sake of input and timing practice.
13. Finally, in depth discussion of Sektor versus every character in the game. Is it 6-4? 5-5? How do you play against this style of SZ? That style of Scorpion?

Once it's all said and done, all final info should be transferred to a new thread, I'd call it "The Sektor Manual". Then, if someone is up for it or can let me know how to it so I can, all info in this "Sektor Manual" should done on video.

My two cents, does this sound like something killer or do we have to settle this over a pint? :D
How about a section for general tips? or is that Specific to Sektor? What about non-useful information like Human Sektor differences? I have recording equipment as well but if someone else wants to record then they can do it.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

yeah it wont automatically make you a beast but mastering it will make a sektor player's life easier ^_^

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
How about a section for general tips? or is that Specific to Sektor? What about non-useful information like Human Sektor differences? I have recording equipment as well but if someone else wants to record then they can do it.
Theres an old thread somewhere here that discuess that. I think the only differences were robo sek had faster start up and/or recovery on his missles but human sek has more range on the 2 in his 122 string (which is actually a lot more useful then people seem to think - not just in combos) and a lower hitting x-ray.

I havn't been able to test but I don't really feel much of a difference with the missle speeds and when I tried to do them both at the same time with each hand (lol) they felt the same but I havn't really reliably tested so it would be great if any1 can so we can know 100%. If they're the same then I don't see no reason not to use human sek besides your badass levels dropping by about 9000.

This is a good thread though, any strats or setups people have (don't have to be guaranteed or anything) that you think anyone may find useful people should post up. Even if its completely useless no1 will care and we can end up with the best guide on the site :)