What's new

Match-up Discussion Sektor Matchup Discussion Thread

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Pretty much everything I was thinking. With the exception of uppercuts.
The uppercut is the difference maker in my opinion. For me at least it was the turning point where getting and staying in became a huge issue. It beats out all of Sektor's advancing pokes + some.

What I am going to try and do to counter this is bait out uppercuts and whiff punish, but we'll see how possible/probable that really is.

I meant d3 btw against Kabal pressure. If I use d1 its because I'm going to link a flamethrower after anyway. Out of all the frame data I've read Sektor has the most punishable d1 so far at -15! I can't believe I haven't been punished on a blocked d1 yet; its to the point where I'm questioning the frame data.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
IMO.

Sektor vs Freddy is even. My offline experience is from Viper in ATL
Sektor vs KL is 5.5 in KL favor. Hard to explain.
Mileena and sonya is also 5.5 in their favor
Worst matchups are Kenshi and Smoke at 4-6.
And Sektor's best matchup is sheeva. 7-3

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
The uppercut is the difference maker in my opinion. For me at least it was the turning point where getting and staying in became a huge issue. It beats out all of Sektor's advancing pokes + some.

What I am going to try and do to counter this is bait out uppercuts and whiff punish, but we'll see how possible/probable that really is.

I meant d3 btw against Kabal pressure. If I use d1 its because I'm going to link a flamethrower after anyway. Out of all the frame data I've read Sektor has the most punishable d1 so far at -15! I can't believe I haven't been punished on a blocked d1 yet; its to the point where I'm questioning the frame data.
Risk reward for uppercut is in Sektor's favor. Sektor get full combo punish on that.. Theoretically at least...

IMO.

Sektor vs Freddy is even. My offline experience is from Viper in ATL
Sektor vs KL is 5.5 in KL favor. Hard to explain.
Mileena and sonya is also 5.5 in their favor
Worst matchups are Kenshi and Smoke at 4-6.
And Sektor's best matchup is sheeva. 7-3
I think Freddy has the edge over all. You kould say it's even if they don't really know Sektor.
I believe Sektor vs Kung Lao is even. I don't see how Kung Lao has the edge.
I used to think Sonya and Sektor was even but the more I think about it, it really is in her favor.
I've been having trouble against Kenshi lately but I still think it's even.
Hahaha... Sheeva, haven't played one in a while. There used to be a good one here in So Cal..

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
sektor vs cage is 4-6 cage

I think sektor vs kenshi is even but kizzle says its sektor's worst matchup

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
sektor vs cage is 4-6 cage

I think sektor vs kenshi is even but kizzle says its sektor's worst matchup
I think the Cage match up is a nice 5/5. The 6 frame jab really helps, but giving Sektor a whole 1 point advantage is a little much. Also Sektor's ability to keep Cage out is rather lackluster. You're going to want to keep him within poke range for most of the fight imo.

I think Kenshi is in Sektor's favor, if not a 5/5. It's been a while since I've played Blackula, and Teef has quit MK for good so my constant flow of Kenshi experience has died. With that said, I never respected that character lol. He shuts down f2 and b1; but Sektor has more that just that. Get in his face and finally stagger that 12 string since Kenshi is a tall mother fucker. Also b34 never whiffs on him either. Fuck with the dead zone of rising karma; make him waste meter so he can't breaker Sektor's big damaging combos. Mind fuck him with guided up missiles to bait reflects. Robots > Blind People all day.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
tried to rep sektor in the grand finals of the snl lag fest and went 1-2 vs sonya soo not too bad. its going to be up soon so if you guys could take a look at it and critique my sektor it would be muchappreciated

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
tried to rep sektor in the grand finals of the snl lag fest and went 1-2 vs sonya soo not too bad. its going to be up soon so if you guys could take a look at it and critique my sektor it would be muchappreciated
Sweet, good stuff! I can't do online with sektor, mad props!

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Sweet, good stuff! I can't do online with sektor, mad props!
thanks man! aright well here are the first two games. The last one isnt up but i lost anyways ha. Please keep in mind i havnt been playing him long and still make many mistakes lol.. I know i made to many naked enhanced teleports but i feel i got most of them in. and i know i jump a shiitt load but i feel like sektor can affordthat luxury since his jk into telporrt is soo goddamn deadly.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
What is everyone's consensus on the Sektor vs. Kabal, Sektor vs. Cage, and Sektor vs. Lao matchups lately? Does everyone think they are still 6/4, 5/5, and 4/6 respectively? I ask because I am trying to find a non-Jax answer to these three characters for counterpicking purposes...
The more I think about it, the more pointless Jax seems. He has almost all the same bad match ups as Smoke.

I think Sektor really does cover the 2 matches I hate most; KONG RAO and KABAR

The more I think about it, the more pointless Jax seems. He has almost all the same bad match ups as Smoke.

I think Sektor really does cover the 2 matches I hate most; KONG RAO and KABAR
Sure seems like it. However I'm too damn lazy to learn an entire new character from the ground up, especially after the beating J360 gave me a couple weeks ago. All that work is not appealing to me to get anywhere close to the level he's at with that character. I'd rather just grind those tough matchups with smoke and find ways to win them (4-6 is honestly not so terrible, it's definitely winnable) as opposed to picking up sektor.

Sorry for derailing your Sektor MU Discussion thread, btw.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I thought 12b1 would be awesome to punish reptiles dash but the range is too short. What do you guys usually use? I've been just playing it safe and using uppercut but I want to punish it harder.

Also vs kitana I feel I can do well mid screen but if I get put in the corner, especially on a small stage I fall apart. What does sektor have when his back is to the wall against a character like kitana that can prresure him from her max d1 range. I usually end up losing a round when I get cornered by her.

NKZero

Noob
I thought 12b1 would be awesome to punish reptiles dash but the range is too short. What do you guys usually use? I've been just playing it safe and using uppercut but I want to punish it harder.

Also vs kitana I feel I can do well mid screen but if I get put in the corner, especially on a small stage I fall apart. What does sektor have when his back is to the wall against a character like kitana that can prresure him from her max d1 range. I usually end up losing a round when I get cornered by her.
21 is the easiest punish. so 21-TU-B21-B34-TU/EX TU etc etc. You can also squeeze in a B34 punish into full combo.

Yeah Sektor has a real tough time getting out of the corner. If I ever find an opening then I will launch a homing missile just to get them off my back. Without meter maybe an above/in front up missile to keep them second guessing and thus giving me time to escape. Or if they love mashing D1 to keep you in lock, just jump. If you can squeeze it in, try flame burner but chances are Kitana will D1 you out of it.

NKZero

Noob
Hey guys I've recently been having problems in the Sektor-Sub Zero match-up. I can out-zone him but I feel that once I've backed myself in the corner I am fucked. I have no escape. Anybody got tips on this match I really don't know what to do.

Ketchup-LK9T9 SwiftTomHanks IKizzLE or anyone else?

Death

Noob
Hey guys I've recently been having problems in the Sektor-Sub Zero match-up. I can out-zone him but I feel that once I've backed myself in the corner I am fucked. I have no escape. Anybody got tips on this match I really don't know what to do.

Ketchup-LK9T9 SwiftTomHanks IKizzLE or anyone else?
I think sub-Zero sektor is really hard for Sektor. Sektor can compete and win the MU mid screen but Sub-Zero can ice blast whiff flame throwers and when Sektor is cornered its close to being over. Ice clone is really good in this MU because it shuts down Sektor footsie tools such as F+2 and B+1. Its a tough MU.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I think its even.
I've beaten all the best sub's offline with DJT being the hardest one to fight but I still felt in control of the match(except when I mashed out an uppercut like a dumbass).
Hard to explain but here is Me vs DJT starting at the 6:00 mark

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
It's even in my opinion. Zone him out as long as possible, but scout out the iceball the entire time. If you catch him with some instant airs on reaction to ice balls you can condition him to throw less which gives you more missiles in turn.

When cornered make use of your flame burner to stop him advancing the second he throws a clone, obviously that's the only range you can flame burner though otherwise he can move in and punish. When you're cornered, I tend to throw close missiles to bait his attack. even if you cant advance too much if he gets hit by the missile, his clone will disappear. the chance of sub zero going for an ice ball at sweep distance is very low, so you can get away with max range flame burners.

By the way, don't take my last game against you at gamerbase judge how I play the match up zero, I was late for my train and really needed to go. Me and Mustard were 5 seconds away from missing our last train back!

NKZero

Noob
Yeah Death I agree. But thanks IKizzLE and Ketchup-LK9T9. I need to use missiles more...

Also ketchup quit making excuses :p. On a serious note tho you were off ur game in general. U couldn't hit an instant air teleport to save ur life :p

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this, but something bizarre happened to me the other day. I was fighting Lt. Box's Kitana, who likes to Square Wave a lot. I threw out a Homing Missile, and at the same time as a Square Wave so the Missile came out when Kitana was already over on the other side of me. Upon landing, Box hit a d1 and the Homing Missile totally wiffed.

Is the replicate-able, or just a crazy thing to chalk up to online?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this, but something bizarre happened to me the other day. I was fighting Lt. Box's Kitana, who likes to Square Wave a lot. I threw out a Homing Missile, and at the same time as a Square Wave so the Missile came out when Kitana was already over on the other side of me. Upon landing, Box hit a d1 and the Homing Missile totally wiffed.

Is the replicate-able, or just a crazy thing to chalk up to online?
After further review, I'm almost certain it's online, but I can't test against anything but AI.
It seems to me like something that could happen consistently, but it's really hard to replicate the timing.

Lots of weird things happen to Kitana online. AND Sektor.
Sektor gets meter-drain glitched worse than almost any character in the game that I've seen or played, and Kitana's hitbox, at least in the time I've had with her, sometimes decides to go from Freddy to Mileena sized as far as what beats her out up close and what doesn't. Sometimes, her punishes will win the trade when they shouldn't, and sometimes she'll get stuffed when she should've hit first.

gross

Noob
I realize that there might be a matchup thread already in this forum, but the point of this thread is to discuss matchups to make the Matchup Chart as accurate as possible.

The Matchup Chart thread:
http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3075-Mortal-Kombat-(2011)-Matchup-Chart

When you discuss or list what you think the matchups are, please do so in alphabetical order. Also, they should be listed in either whole numbers or .5 notations.

The current Matchup Chart for Sektor is as follows:
6-4 vs Baraka
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
5-5 vs Cyrax
5-5 vs Ermac
xxx vs Freddy Krueger
5-5 vs Jade
6-4 vs Jax
6-4 vs Johnny Cage
5-5 vs Kabal
5-5 vs Kano
xxx vs Kenshi