Robotic

Gentleman.
** UPDATE **

6-4 vs Baraka
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
6-4 vs Cyrax <--my own input.
5-5 vs Ermac
xxx vs Freddy Krueger
6-4 vs Jade <-- adjusted with Krayzie Bone's input.
6-4 vs Jax
6-4 vs Johnny Cage
5-5 vs Kabal
5-5 vs Kano
xxx vs Kenshi
5-5 vs Kitana <--adjusted by the folks in the Kitana matchup thread.
4-6 vs Kung Lao
4-6 vs Liu Kang <-- I'm not sold on this one. Can we get some Kang v Sektor discussion in here?
5-5 vs Mileena
6-4 vs Nightwolf <--my own input.
5-5 vs Noob Saibot
6-4 vs Quan Chi <--my own input.
4-6 vs Raiden
xxx vs Rain
5-5 vs Reptile <-- my own input.
5-5 vs Scorpion <-- don't know about this one.
5-5 vs Shang Tsung
7-3 vs Sheeva
5-5 vs Sindel <-- adjusted with DanCock's input.
xxx vs Skarlet
4-6 vs Smoke
6-4 vs Sonya Blade <-- I don't know, I think this may be even.
5-5 vs Stryker <-- adjustment with Vulcan Hades' input.
5-5 vs Sub-Zero

Newest adjustment is with Krayzie's input on the Jade matchup as well as my own experience fighting good Jades.

This is really coming together everyone. Please reach into your pockets and throw in your 2 cents.

JkOC

Noob
Good stuff Robotic. I think the Lui Kang fight is even in my opinion. Sektor can do a lot to fustrate him from doing that high/low combo all the time with flamethrower and b1. And Kang can deal with Sektor zoning, which makes the match a lot more even. This fight tends to be more about execution of each player and who makes a mistake imo. I think your right about Sonya too, lol, she is fustrating to fight.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I don't see how the Sindel matchup is even close to even. IATU destroys her if she does any kind of fireball which is her whole game. If you shut down a characters main offensive tool(s), then it is not an even matchup. You can't expect to win with only Instant Flight Fireballs (IFFB).

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I don't see how the Sindel matchup is even close to even. IATU destroys her if she does any kind of fireball which is her whole game. If you shut down a characters main offensive tool(s), then it is not an even matchup. You can't expect to win with only Instant Flight Fireballs (IFFB).
Iatu that his teleport ? Quickly done? Cause her IAF comes out faster then his teleport. Please tell me what iatu means? Trust me I'm all for saying sindel sucks in every match up. This one just to me is player skill vs player skill.

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Iatu that his teleport ? Quickly done? Cause her IAF comes out faster then his teleport. Please tell me what iatu means? Trust me I'm all for saying sindel sucks in every match up. This one just to me is player skill vs player skill.
Instant Air Teleport Uppercut.

I'm obviously not great with Sindel. Just been using her on the side, but I've been beating guys who have been playing Sektor since launch. 80% is probably due to them just not knowing the match-up, but I can confirm that Flight=>iAFB does knock him out of a Teleport.
I'm not so sure that works when he jumps at her and then does it though. He still travels through the ground, so it should work. I'm sure someone else can confirm.

===

Also, @ Robotic, I can agree with you on the Cyrax Match-Up being 6-4 (Sektor). I, however, think most of the players on the Cyrax board will disagree. I don't play Cyrax like many of them. My gameplan is pretty heavily reliant on anti-air combo (1, dash, 1, dash, 3, 3, Net set-ups) and I use the 57% BnB (Never the resets). I also tend to do a lot more bomb-zoning than most (i.e. dropping close bomb and standing on it to prevent an advance; using the 1, 2, 1, c./m./f.Bomb string like I get paid for it).

Sektor punishes Cyrax for trying to throw out random nets or bombs with Teleport Uppercut into full combo. This is a problem, because, for me, a few fullscreen nets are needed to get Cyrax Bomb Mix-up off the ground.

Maybe the others feel like the extra ~12% from the Reset is enough to make a big enough difference to make it 5-5. Idk. But for me, I do feel like I'm working harder for this one.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I dont know about that; I think alot of cyrax players look at the sektor matchup as a headache.

@Dancock, r u on the west coast? I would love to get some games in with u. I think Sindel is tougher to get in on than most people give her credit for.

Altaire

Noob
Without commenting on anyone in the game, I'd just like to say that I believe Sektor has no bad matchups (with the possible exception of Freddy, because everyone has a bad matchup with that cheesy asshole). Most of his matchups are 5-5, as far as I'm concerned.

Prove me wrong.

Mcpeanuts stepping up and discussing Liu Kang! Thanks man.

A quick thing about this matchup. You play LK, I play Sek. You already know my game plan = keep distance, damage from afar and build meter. I know yours = Get in and combo me to oblivion. If I play very well, you have no way in. In fact, you have to burn meter to get in safely. You eventually get in and begin a combo, too late man, I've already built plenty of meter. Breaker, and depending on what I feel like, I get my ass back to my corner and zone more until you make a mistake since I have the life lead anyway OR I apply pressure because, as you know, Sektor CAN rush down if he wants. This is a total uphill battle for Liu Kang. From a distance ADVANTAGE SEKTOR.

Liu is super scary up close, I will concede that. If you are playing very well, you getting in is an inevitability and I will have to use breaker constantly to survive the different looks you are giving me. Meter gone, no EXTU to get out of the corner, no homing missile to interupt offense, damn. Up close, ADVANTAGE LIU KANG.

Take both points: Sek v. Kang is 5-5. I take it this converstation is just beginning though...
lol, not really, because I don't actually disagree with any of your points. 5-5 sounds reasonable.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Good stuff then. I'll see if anyone else wants to throw in on the Kang V Sektor matchup and adjust accordingly...

NariTuba

disMember
Vs. Cyrax: The normal Cyrax game goes out the window against Sektor. Bombs and nets can't be thrown out willy-nilly. If we're talking full screen, Net gets punished by IATU for full combo. Bombs get punished by IATU for full combo. Net cannot trade with missiles as the missile knock down will buy Sektor enough time to wiggle out. Cyrax teleport is too risky: Sektor can b34 for full combo if done quickly, and there's no reason for it NOT to be done quickly since teleport is telegraphed hardcore. Uppercut punishes as well. If Cyrax wises up and teleports into crouch, Sek can dash back torch, crossover punch...teleport is just too risky in this matchup and Cyrax should stop doing it entirely if he wants to win. That leaves him on the other side of the screen where he will have trouble getting in. Sektor has too many tools to combat his robot homie and not vice-versa. He's playing Sektor's game all day. 6-4 Sektor.
I´m going to humbly offer you my thoughts on this match-up since ive been playin cyrax from day one and have a lot of experience against Sektor.

This is a 5-5

All of the things you point out above are valid, but as you yourself said, they describe the match full screen. If you change the distance to half-screen then a lot of your above points no longer apply. Bombs and net can no longer be punished on reaction. Net trades with missile in Cyraxs favor, so much so that the usual Sektor missile fest is no longer possible because of full combo threat. Same thing happens with flamethrower (boy do I love that flame waving in every direction when Sektor gets netted while flaming).

On Cyrax´teleport:
As far as the Cyrax teleport I think I can safely say that high level Cyrax play does not involve teleporting to shorten the distance between you and your opponent. The main function of Cyraxs teleport is to move next to a netted opponent. Other riskier things can be attempted such as teleporting for pressure if you make a read on your opp doing a special with slow recovery (ie. flame thrower) or to escape pressure on wake up. Another unconventional tactic I will ocassionally use is to teleport out of Sektor´s homing missile. What usually happens is that after Sektor shoots the homing missile he will move in for pressure. Cyrax teleport has a weird property that just before he entierly dissappears there are a few frames of a residual cloud that will cause some teleports and projectiles to impact as if on block. So this can be used to avoid homing missile since if timed right, the missile will explode against the residual cloud leaving Cyrax unharmed... and since usually Sektor will be commited to his attack he will be left whiffing strings. If Cyrax teleports early the missile will remain on the screen and pick up speed. In this case Cyrax can wait until the last possible moment and then teleport again which will cause the missile to dissapear off screen or impact on the residual cloud; tho this is riskier since Sektor is now able to predict this. This cloud will also leave Sektor rolling in the air after a TU as if it was blocked which allows for a net! of course this cannot be done on reaction so its pretty silly, but i just thought you would appreciate this little oddity if you didnt know about it :)

Another problem for Sektor in this matchup is that he is a PRIME candidate for the corner bomb trap. His only note worthy wake up is Ex teleport, but I have been very successful lately stuffing that with 3,3. And even if the teleport does come out, a well timed block d1xragdoll (no throw) will throw him right back in there.

So in my opinion the match plays out at a fast pace and forces both characters to take risks in order to bait things from the opp and punish. If both players play their game right, I feel it DOES come down to the player and not the character. Hope it helps, good discussions!

Robotic

Gentleman.
Appreciate the write up, and please forgive the quick response. You say, "All of the things you point out above are valid, but as you yourself said, they describe the match full screen. If you change the distance to half-screen then a lot of your above points no longer apply." Exactly, how is a good Cyrax getting in against a good Sektor? Cyrax is at a distadvantage full screen or 3/4 screen, and Sektor doesn't find it a huge issue to keep Cyrax there. If Cyrax gets in, life lead is already in my favor and meter is already built. I still say this is 6-4, but let's keep it going.

NariTuba

disMember
Appreciate the write up, and please forgive the quick response. You say, "All of the things you point out above are valid, but as you yourself said, they describe the match full screen. If you change the distance to half-screen then a lot of your above points no longer apply." Exactly, how is a good Cyrax getting in against a good Sektor? Cyrax is at a distadvantage full screen or 3/4 screen, and Sektor doesn't find it a huge issue to keep Cyrax there. If Cyrax gets in, life lead is already in my favor and meter is already built. I still say this is 6-4, but let's keep it going.
I suppose it comes down to what distance allows Sektor to IATU on reaction. I said half-screen but I meant "not fullscreen". Bombs recover faster than net so they will be effective at 3/4 (meaning Cyrax can recover and block -> monster punish). Cyrax doesnt have to "get in", he just has to slightly close the gap to trade distance, meaning a dash away from unsafe distance. Sektor will get that meter and life advantage but if Cyrax dash blocking and crouching under missiles are performed properly the adv will be minor. If all Sektor does is shoot rockets, jump away to maintain IATU on reaction distance he will find himself in the corner pretty fast (where Cyrax has the upper hand). I disagree that Sektor has little trouble keeping Cyrax away from trade distance since rockets dont knock back on block and if he is jumping away Cyrax is dash blocking in. Maintaining trade distance is not really a problem, net will even sometimes catch Sektor from inside the ground as TU has already initiated. I honestly dont think running away and keeping distance is a viable strategy.

If Sektor stands his ground with missiles Cyrax can dash in d4 into face to face action which is not favorable for Sektor. He can stop this by reading it and using flamethrower... but Cyrax can also bait it and trade with net. Its my opinion that Sektor has to alternate between runnaway zoning and attacking in order to win the match. Changing the pace from running away to suddenly rushing in and attacking with low starter into full combo or jps,1,2,b1 hit confirm is the only way to not get predictable. Also Cyrax has trouble with Sektors low starter stuffing his wakeups and avoiding a well timed dash in throw after a knockdown. This is when the match gets really interesting because if the attack is read or blocked properly its party time for Cyrax.

Has Ketchup chimed in on this matchup? He has a good Sektor and his brother a good Cyrax, Id love to hear their thoughts. Also I agree with you that we need Sektroll input in this thread! peace

Robotic

Gentleman.
This is all assuming Sektor doesnt want close distance himself. He can, and will. His footsies are good and his punishment tools are great. I still think Cyrax has to play his game. You are right about mustard and ketchup getting in here.

NariTuba

disMember
This is all assuming Sektor doesnt want close distance himself. He can, and will. His footsies are good and his punishment tools are great. I still think Cyrax has to play his game. You are right about mustard and ketchup getting in here.
Sektor needs to get upclose to win as I said above, but he cant stand toe to toe with Cyrax. He has to alternate his zoning and upclose game in a smart way. I do agree that Sektor determines the pace of the match, however I dont think in this case that has bearing on the matchup... Sektor will play keep away at first because its safe and because he can determine the pace with it. But Sektor pays a MUCH higher price for a bad trade than Cyrax does, which means that although Sektor can make Cyrax play at his pace for most of the match, Cyrax can win it anyway. So I do believe it comes down to the players in the end. I just dont think Cyrax doesnt have enough tools to beat Sektor, he just has to use them according to the match up; none of them are shut down.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Sektor needs to get upclose to win as I said above, but he cant stand toe to toe with Cyrax. He has to alternate his zoning and upclose game in a smart way. I do agree that Sektor determines the pace of the match, however I dont think in this case that has bearing on the matchup... Sektor will play keep away at first because its safe and because he can determine the pace with it. But Sektor pays a MUCH higher price for a bad trade than Cyrax does, which means that although Sektor can make Cyrax play at his pace for most of the match, Cyrax can win it anyway. So I do believe it comes down to the players in the end. I just dont think Cyrax doesnt have enough tools to beat Sektor, he just has to use them according to the match up; none of them are shut down.
This is true, Sektor does pay a much higher price for a mistake against Cyrax, but so does everyone else in the game. Sek does not NEED to get upclose to win, he can zone all day. He CAN get in and apply pressure, so Cyrax needs to respect the uplose game as well, if that avenue is chosen. I don't have to respect you fullscreen, so your tools are handicapped against me while I have all of my tools intact. That to me is the definition of an advantageous position.

Also, although Cyrax does have extreme damage, Sektor has high damage output as well. A high level Sektor can get 42% 1 meter off of just one net mistake, 38% 1 meter off of one incorrect mixup guess, 44-48% 1 meter off of 12b1 quickness or b1 cancel into TU combos.

This is all theory, mind you, and I greatly appreciate your input on this matchup. In actual play, I haven't had too much trouble with Cyrax players.

Robotic

Gentleman.
** UPDATE 8/17 **

6-4 vs Baraka
5-5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
5-5 vs Cyrax
5-5 vs Ermac
xxx vs Freddy Krueger
6-4 vs Jade <-- adjusted with Krayzie Bone's input.
6-4 vs Jax
6-4 vs Johnny Cage
5-5 vs Kabal
5-5 vs Kano
xxx vs Kenshi
5-5 vs Kitana <--adjusted by the folks in the Kitana matchup thread.
4-6 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Liu Kang <-- Adjusted with McPeanuts' and my own input. Disagree? Discuss, Goddamnit.
5-5 vs Mileena
6-4 vs Nightwolf <--my own input.
5-5 vs Noob Saibot
6-4 vs Quan Chi <--my own input.
4-6 vs Raiden
xxx vs Rain
5-5 vs Reptile <-- my own input.
5-5 vs Scorpion <-- don't know about this one.
5-5 vs Shang Tsung
7-3 vs Sheeva
5-5 vs Sindel <-- adjusted with DanCock's input. Konqrr disagrees. Discuss??
xxx vs Skarlet
4-6 vs Smoke
5-5 vs Sonya Blade <-- Adjusted with Morty's input and my own experience in this matchup.
5-5 vs Stryker <-- adjustment with Vulcan Hades' input.
5-5 vs Sub-Zero

New adjustments are Liu Kang and Sonya. I would love for someone to tell me why Sektor beats Sonya. I have trouble in this matchup as I mentioned earlier. Thanks to Morty in the Sonya matchup thread for his input.

EDIT: Mustard and Ketchup talked about the matchup (see below) and agree this should be put back to 5-5.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
in the cyrax matchp i'd have to agree with the 5-5, sektor without meter becomes very easy to predict, and given you would need to save breakers incase your rocket trades with a net it would limit you to using 1 bar for only a combo, or a homing rocket to prevent a few seconds of bombs/nets, also cyrax with the ability to drain meter leaves sektor without a reliable ex-tu to escape the corner, but on the flipside sektor can BADLY hurt cyrax from a distance, given the bombs can be walked away from and the net wont trade with the rockets at anything but mid-close sektor gets most of his damage here via projectiles, from my point of view at least. me and ketchup discussed this heavily to prevent us posting the same thing here, and because its probably our most frequent matchup.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I'll concede to the Cyrax matchup. You guys know ur stuff, so unless anyone else disagrees, I'll change it back to 5-5. I personally think Cyrax has a harder time getting in and has to constantly adjust to Sektor here. Also, Sektor has meter alot more often than not and Cyrax is one of the simpler characters to keep away, compared to the rest of the cast - making it easier to build meter. Cyrax closing distance has to respect the flame thrower as well, on top of all the other stuff mentioned. Good stuff Mustard (and Ketchup ghost-writing in the back) and I appreciate the input man :D

Get ur brother in here to talk about the other matchups!

Robotic

Gentleman.
All of them. High level sektor players are hard to come by, so imparting knowledge where u can, even if u think it might be insignificant or just agree with certain matchups and nothing more, it goes a long way coming from you. Gotta pick ur brain when I can!

In my opinion the 2 matchups you have 4-6 (Kung Lao and Raiden) are good, but I think you should add Reptile to a 4-6 too. I would classify myself as a mid-high level Sektor player, but playing against a good Reptile is kind of hard for me. I agree with the Sheeva 7-3 because her teleport moves are telegraphed so easy as to punish with a TU of my own.

Robotic

Gentleman.
In my opinion the 2 matchups you have 4-6 (Kung Lao and Raiden) are good, but I think you should add Reptile to a 4-6 too. I would classify myself as a mid-high level Sektor player, but playing against a good Reptile is kind of hard for me. I agree with the Sheeva 7-3 because her teleport moves are telegraphed so easy as to punish with a TU of my own.
That's the way it was set originally until THTB and others in the Reptile matchup thread started discussing it, along with my own experience on the matchup that switched it to 5-5. On page 1 of of this thread, I discussed why I think this match is even. Why do you think it is in Rep's favor?

NariTuba

disMember
@Robotic you´re doing good work here in the Sektor match-up thread compiling data, getting players to input and updating. Good stuff man! Youve inspired me to do the same with the Cyrax match-up thread, I´m gonna get on it asap.

I wanted to ask you about your Cage entry as 6-4. I play JC and feel its a 5-5, but opinions seem to be divided in the JC match up thread.

The original post by Konqrr reflecting collective numbers puts it at 6-4 Cage.
Sao87 says "4-6 vs Sektor - I'm not sure how to call this one, I feel like its even. Once Cage is in Sektor doesn't have many options but the flame thrower can be a tough obstacle to overcome. 4-6 or 5-5"
A F0xy Grampa also says "4-6 vs Sektor" tho without any further explanations. Itd be nice to get some more feedback from him since he plays a nice Cage and has prolly played Ketchup.
Then other players dont mention Sektor under the "who does JC lose to" category. This could be because they have no match up experience or because they feel its at least a 5-5.

Why do you feel its 6-4 Sektor Robo? Have you faced good offline JCs? I dont agree with Sao that flamethrower is a hard obstacle to overcome since (as I posted in the JC thread) it can be punished on block with flashkick giving JC a knockdown that allows him to put a forceball on screen first, forcing Sektor to block thus giving JC the time to close the gap. To be honest I usually lose to Sektor since my Cage is nowhere as good as my Cyrax, but when I analize the match afterwards I tend to arrive at the conclusion that I lose because of my own short comings and not because the character lacks the tools to win.

EDIT: Id like to add that JC can use nutpunch to lower his hitbox under missiles while gaining meter at the same time as Sektor.