What's new

Sektor Gameplay Discussion

ONE DS

Noob
Hey guys,

So i played Sektor some at launch but have really focused most of my time on Reptile and for the past few days Kabal. I think Sektor is sick though so I took him to the lab and experimented with a few things that i didnt see posted anywhere.

It seems like human Sektor is quicker overall when using the following techniques.

1) Sektor in either form can CROUCH his dash much faster than the majority of the cast. This gives him some options with the right spacing.
- I experimented with forward dash instant uppercut and it is FAST. His dash covers alot of space and his uppercut has a quick trigger. You can punish forward jumps and neutral jumps from a long way away with this. Again this seemed faster when using Human form, though Cyborgs was still pretty fast.
-This also allows you to buffer into TU if you see something you can punish.
-You can approach more safely against opponents like Nightwolf, who's shoulder can be ducked and punished for big big damage.
-Crouching the dash gives you the full distance of the dash (maybe even a bit more) . I think this could dramatically improve Sektors throw game. When you just grab cancel a dash you cut a big portion of the dash off, and most characters can't crouch their dashes quickly enough for it to be useful. But because Sektors dash covers as much distance as it does and because he can crouch it so quickly, he can dash in and throw from the maximum distance his dash covers (its around one backstep from the initial training room distance). Think of it as being similar to a kara throw. This was tested on Human form only.
-Sektor is great at dash unders.
-I can't say with certainty but i think crouching a second dash covers more ground and is slightly quicker than two standing dashes.

2) Still on Sektors dash. You can punish neutral jumps on REACTION, yes i said it, REACTION from almost 3/4 the screen away, with forward dashxx b+1! This is a great tool to keep them grounded and will push them to the corner. You have to be fast, but the range is HUGE! You wont really recognize how good this can be until you test it yourself. Of course, i'm not really sure of why someone would neutral jump from that far away just for the heck of it either :facepalm: It could also probably be used as a good AA for any forward jump that isn't going to reach Sektor. If you can make your opponent feel like they can't jump safely from that distance then you have really limited their options, and teleporters can become much more predictable. This was tested on human form only.

3) This is pretty technical. But in a closed stance (both players facing towards the inside right?). You can back dash a leg raise and throw. You would probably rarely be in this situation, but it is another option.

4) If you wanted another mixup option, you can end your combo with upwards missile. Sektor recovers with enough time to block wakeups and it will force the opponent to block otherwise, allowing the mix up opportunity.

So, I hope this information proves helpful to Sektor players. Obviously i could have done much more if the training room wasn't as lame as it is, but i really think some of these techniques could up Sektors game. I'll test these myself with some online matches but unfortunately i don't have access to an offline community (i'm also not very good with Sektor). I apologize for not being able to record and post these techniques as videos, but maybe if they turn out to be useful Seb or someone will find them and be able to put something up. And PLEASE, if i have just wasted your time with all of this and have no idea of what i'm talking about inform me, it will save you and I lots of time in the future :)

FTR- I really wish Cyborg Sektor was the quicker one

Yo, noob here but I've been using Sektor since launch and felt like finally signing up. I've been having some trouble with Kung Lao and Raiden. Does anyone know what Sektor can do against them? I know Kung Lao's spin can be punished with f2, b1 and that's actually pretty helpful since it sends him full screen. I also know Raiden's fly can be punished with a teleport combo. My biggest problem is just fighting them though. I don't know what I should be doing when the match starts or as it goes on. Their speed is a huge problem for Sektor and the fact that they can easily get around any projectile limits you even more. And if they get on you... it feels hopeless. Sektor has no good wake-up options so it's pretty difficult to get them off. You pretty much NEED to have at least 2 meters at all times I think. Do you guys think it's better to go for his teleport combo whenever you have the chance or just save the meter? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Right now these two are giving me the biggest problems.

Sektor can outzone Kung Lao. Kung Lao basically has to fight his way in. But of course, he does have his teleport. As long as your not reckless with your straight missile you should be able to recover in time/read his teleport and punish him. Usually Sektor uses b2, 1 as a combo ender(when using EX to extend combos), but for this matchup you should change it to 1, 1, b1(This does 1% less than usual BnB). It'll send Kung Lao to the other side of the screen and he'll have to fight his way to the other side of the screen if you make him respect your space(made him afraid to teleport; you do this by reading his teleport and punishing!)

Things not to forget: His Flame Burner! This move covers roughly half the screen and you will definitely need to use this when Kung Lao takes a risk to use his dive kick/or jump in to close space and combo on Sektor.

Raiden is a character you want to do just the opposite. You want to try and close space, but you'll have trouble with this since you don't have the tools to keep pressure and necessarily safe combo chains. I usually try and play this matchup around mid-screen. Get a read on his superman or bait it. And keep his jump-ins on check by doing Flame Burner when he tries to pursue. Try to keep a momentum(b/c once you lose it, it'll be kind of hard to gain back). You want to start a mindgame on his wake up since he does have a good wakeup move(that superman...). Try to make them regret using his superman on wakeup by dashing in on his wakeup and blocking, then fully punish it. Once you get the feeling that they won't be reckless on their wake up dash in and pursue them by attacking/throwing them on their wake up and follow up again making them guess(as much as you) on what will happen when they'll try to get up again.

I have to play around against the matchup more to help you out on strings you should watch out for and how to stop/defend against it.

About concerns you have with Sektor in general:
Sektor's wakeup option is usually EX Tele-uppercut or EX Flame Burner. Although Tele-Uppercut would be the better option at most times as its "mostly" safe and gives you an opportunity to combo.

It is utmost definitely better to save your meter. But if you know how to use Sektor's tools correctly you should be able to get off at least 1 EX combo and still be able to use combo breaker in the round. Not only do you need your meter for Combo Breaker, but also so you have a viable wake-up option if needed.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I'm not much of a Sektor player, but I'd like for you guys to test this anti-Raiden strategy for me. As you already know, the Flame Burner isn't safe on block against Raiden. However, when it whiffs, it recovers very quickly. In fact, it recovers so quickly that Raiden can't whiff punish it with the Electric Fly. It's also very difficult for him to teleport and punish you. Raiden has to teleport far in advance, which leaves him open to fundamental anti-teleport tactics. Whiffed Flame Burners means easy meter building. Should Raiden attempt to close in to block the Flame Burner, keep him out of the sweet spot with b+1. Aside from X-Ray and EX Electric Fly, there appears to be very little he can do. Also, he has to use early fireballs to punish whiffed Flame Burners full screen away, which you can react to and punish with the Teleport Uppercut. As silly as this strategy sounds, give it a try against your Raiden competition and let me know what happens.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Not a Sektor player here, but I wonder how effective this actually is.

Interesting mindgame. It'll keep them at bay. Once they start to slow down, it'll be a great opportunity for Sektor to start his momentum.

Dunxco

Teleport Uppercut!
Sektor gets an amazing mind-game off of homing missile.

Forcing them to block, you can nail them with b3 4 > Teleport Upper > f4 4 > Enhanced Teleport Upper > b2 > Flame Thrower.

If they crouch-block? up3 > 4 overhead > Teleport Upper > f4 4 > Enhanced Teleport Upper > b2 > Flame Thrower.

Both respectful damage, even if you make the EX Teleport Upper just a regular teleport upper ending or whatever kind of ending (don't have the numbers on me right now, sorry).

The homing missile isn't there to land, it's there as a threat - you must block this or it will hit, which allows Sektor to get away with whatever they want. If they do try to attack Sektor, they have to time it so it hits him and they still have time to block the missile, otherwise the missile will hit them and neutralise their advantage.

Dunxco

Teleport Uppercut!
Against crouch-blockers: 28% for Homing Missile > up3 4 > Teleport Upper > b2 > Flamethrower. 29% for Homing Missile > up3 4 > Teleport Upper > f4 4 > Teleport Upper.

Against standing blockers: 27% for Homing Missile > b3 4 > Teleport upper > f4 4 > Teleport Upper. 26% for Homing Missile > b3 4 > Teleport upper > b2 > Flamethrower.

Someone with faster fingers could probably eke more damage out of that situation than I can.

These numbers take into account the homing missile being blocked. You get about 7% more damage if you can land your intended overhead/low mix-up and the missile hits them mid-combo. So the best you'll get is 36% damage on someone without burning two bars.

XEVILCl0wnX

I'm in a near character crisis.
After watching a certain video (The SEK TECH Sektor video guide), it says that :r+:bk, :bk is a safe move... Is this true?

I don't think so. All the opponent has to do is duck the second hit and uppercut you. I'll check it out tonight and make sure though.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Actually, not really, there's a reason for the start up, for the one reason it should end after a juggle. It's one of the most comboable X-Rays out there, plus it's ray to have a projectile as an X-Ray. Plus, who wants to use an X-Ray as Sektor has pretty awesome pressuring EX specials?
I'd have to disagree respectfully, the start up is slower then other X-rays and the timing is more crucial in combos. X-rays add more damage, if you check out the vids he has range anywhere from 35%-48% with X-ray, some without still do good damage but I'm not talking in terms of comboing into it, that's easy but the timing of you having to hit the X-ray buffering it ahead of time....

Yeah, I was wondering if it was just the animations... or what. But if how I feel is right, and he's slower with a lot of his specials... it makes me wonder what advantages he has to offset this.

Check the guide! Also I think Shoryuken has a lot of easy ones to get you started. You probably won't need the easy ones :p

but essentially you have two starters: an overhead from the leg stance or a :l:fk , :bk. From there you do a teleport uppercut and all the other combos are pretty similar from that point. Instant 35-40% damage from easy combos :p

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Thought I'd revive this thread to get more sektor discussion going on.

What strings do you guys use most outside of combos? Any block strings, frame traps even?

Just trying to get some discussion going. As for me I love 214, theres some natural delay between the 2 and 4 so a lot of people get caught out by the 4 and you can pressure with multiple 21's. When the 4 hit's their full screen and I think its safe. 124 I don't have too much of a use for but you can cancel it into flame for some good chip dmg.

Also any uses for his normal kicks 3 and 4. They can be used as anti-airs but online when I get an input error i'm getting a lot of 4's into TU outside of combos. I know people suck but it isn't even a combo and its hitting like maybe 70% of the time, are people letting go of block or what lol.

Jobe

Noob
I abuse the 1,2 string. It can be repeated for a nice trap and even locks down some characters with high crouch block. Another great tool is the f+2. The recovery is pretty fast and you can mix it up with the b+1 afterwards.

I usually use f2 or the simple 12, or the b3 and then link the b3 4 and if whiff into d4.

The bad thing about f2 is it has horrid start up and can be jumped over but it has good pressure since it can't be punished. Also I like 1 2 starter but it can be crouched into punish if someone knows the string, lastly b3 is probably the best pressure normal since you can get an knowledgable opponent afraid of letting go of block due to the quick recover on whiff and if they turtle you can go into stance to bait a stand to get a nice 20 to 37% combo (20 w/o meter, 37 with).

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
I've had some success getting my f2 blocked then doing an uppercut which beats out people string to punish it lol.

Btw the 4 on hit at the end of 214 is really good. The 4 has little recovery so you can get a free straight missle after it and be safe from an wakeup attack in game aside from smokes shake I guess. Fast advancing specials with armor like nightwolfs ex shoulder and kabals ex dash can be easily blocked. A lot of kabals I play ex dash on reaction as soon as they see you throw a straight missle when they're waking up so doing 214 missle might be a good thing to try once a match.