What's new

Sektor Gameplay Discussion

I had the chance to get in a few matches yesterday so I'll put in so things that worked out for me but if anyone thinks other wise feel free to say so.

B+2 just a good poke in general you can use it to move forward,it goes under some jumps and on block or hit you cancel into flame thrower.

After a throw d,b+3(Up missile) for a free mix up some people can get out of this with a wake up teleport or something that moves them toward you quickly but I'm pretty sure if you know there going to do that you can delay the missile and it will trade also if you have a meter to burn you can use smart missile for the guaranteed mix up high/low/throw back to the same situation.

To answer Pastalonius's question I prefer to play defensively,I like to stay out least two dashes away so when I call D,B+3 i can just dash up and start a mix up,if the missile hits you can just dash 1,2,b+1 combo or if your too far just teleport. Anoter note: EDIT-ending with flamethrower seems to be really good oki dash throw leg lift ect but after some more playing I feel like ending with B+2,1 is better most of the time for the missile pressure though it really depends on the character your fighting so test some stuff out and let me know what you think.

Also I found out that you can trade x-ray with a projectile and win the trade duh lol,but i don't it really has a use outside that and would really only be good if you wanted to close out the round.

I was trying a combo in the corner it's a little unorthodox but if anyone can come up with something better please do.

1,2,b+1 1,2,2xxd,b+3 1,2xxb,f,+2 36% or you can end with 1,2,2/1,2,4 for 38%/37% a but it forces them to flip out.

:l+:fp is a pretty good poke, it has pretty good range, is safe on block and pushes the other character back on hit. It also does 11% damn percent which is awesome.

Hagakure, that missile after throw sounds good, I will have to try it. I've been trying to find something to do after throw so good looking out.

Okay, so, rumor has it that Human Sektor might be better. I will post what I have heard:

Me: so I ask this every day but is anyone playing sektor in here? Tired of just talking on the forums

JohnGrimm: I've been hearing of a lot of people using Human Sektor
not in here, just in general
word on the street is that Human Sektor is better

Me: everyone on TYM is using robo though, I've been using Human cause I like the looks but we don't know the differences yet

JohnGrimm: I hear Human has better juggles
also some faster/safer specials
I don't remember which
oh right, missiles and flamethrower are slower, everything else is safe

Me: ahh, that's good to know, where'd you hear that?

JohnGrimm: some Sektor players on various forums
it's all second hand so take it with a grain of salt

So there you have it, dunno if these things are true, I can't really try anything out right now and I can't find these forums that say these things. I will say I haven't been using missiles a lot because of how slow they come out, so maybe it does have to do with me using Human Sek all the time. Maybe you guys should try and see if you can test these things since it at least gives us an idea of what to test out.

Hey everyone, hows it going?

I Decided to use sektor too, personally.. im kinda glad not THAT many people are using him, it makes using him so much more exciting and fun, even if hes low tier.. owning someone would make it that much sweeter.

Will start off by saying thanks to all the above for dropping tips/combo's, im new to the MK system although i played upto MK3. Its hard getting used to it all though coming from the SF community.

Would like a bit of help though.. which combo's are sektors BnB? also.. if theres some combo video's about that would be a great help. I learnt a few combo's just by messing around in training (whilist figuring out the combo system and mechanics)

As for Tag... who would you recommend using along side sektor?? I wouldnt mind some casual's with anyone using sektor, just to experiment and try stuff out. I'll shut up now.. cheers for reading.

Nah man he's not low tier imo. Well, I really don't give a shit, haha. If you work hard enough with your character and you don't have really bad matchups and the game is well balanced, you can win with anyone. That's a whole other discussion though.

TheWidowMaker, all of the combos starting from :fp and the two leg lift follow-ups that whitenoise posted above are pretty much his BnBs I'd say. Landing a TeleUpper is less likely to happen in a match, as is a :r+:bk, :bk combo, theiy're just a bit more situational. The combo system is new for me too, it's like a 3D juggle game on a 2D plane, I'm really diggin' it. As for tag, I'm not into that at the moment so I couldn't tell you.

Tell you what, I'll make a combo video tonight when I am able to play showcasing the combos in whitenoise's post, then you can see what's going on. I'm also gonna be working on finding differences between human and robo, and I'll make one for the changes sometime if I find them or if someone else gets some info. Cheers.

Alright Jerk I tried a few things out with human and robo and personally there is no difference don't quote me on it but I just didn't really notice anything.The only reason Cyrax's teleport would be safer is because it's a completely different animation.As far I can tell Sektor's animations are only slightly different so I don't think they'll effect speed but maybe some hit box stuff.

More tactics-J.BK xxTeleport to BnB is really strong air to air easy to confirm as well.
Good punish for anything that makes some one spin in the air e.g. teleports/raiden air tackle? lol is f.BK BK BnB.
Also liu kang match seems to be pretty good he can't do much vs up missiles his only options are flying dragon kick and fireball,flying dragon kick will trade most of the time as well.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
well i played with sektor in a tournament today, i lost with him and had to switch to ermac to win =/ sorry

i played against a kung lao and all my options were shut down. Face-to-Face Sektor could not hang. Him lacking a good quick mid really hurts. =(

i h8 kung lao's dive kicks >_<

Good shit, Hagakure, j.:bkxxTeleUpper would be good air to air, I haven't even thought about doing it. You're right, his differences don't seem nearly as easily deciphered as with Cyrax, and perhaps they are negligible.

Savior, I don't blame you, fuck Kung Lao lol. It's always good to have a good pocket character.

Still waiting to gain control of the xbox >_<

Edit: It's 6:25 and I'm wide awake, cause I just found some new tech for us about 20 minutes ago! I'm gonna mess with it for a while, it's pretty damn good lol. I'll tell you guys when I wake up, and then I'll do the video (hopefully). Peace :)

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
i wont give up, sektor is too badass to stop playing

I just read our sektor guide...it's umm...okay

Whiten0ise you should compile the facts from our discussions and update the first post

The guide seems to use jump kick into tele-upper rather than f4+4, which costs its combos about 4-5% across the board. Learning that f4+4 cancel into teleupper/metalupper seems to be the most important thing to learn to execute for sektor. You can insert that sequence into any opener.

So as long as you have several ways to open up the opponent (jab, air to air jumpkick, teleupper, overhead, low, missile) you can get at least 25%, and 30+ with the metal upper.

I don't think Sektor's anti air is as great as the guide says it is. It is ok, but i think he has a hard time controlling the space when attacks come from the 1 o'clock (facing right) position.

Thanks again for shedding the light on the b2,1 finisher. That thing is easy and great.

I did not see a 44%+ combo listed after posting the guide. It is 47% with jp start and 53% if you can land the 'up missile' before it with only one bar.

Feel free to speak up about anything you would like to have added to it, but I didn't add too many lower damage combos from the same setups. All of the ones I listed are braindead easy to pull off in almost every scenario.

*Edit: the only combo that is higher than the 44% ends with a flame thrower for 45% and with that extra 1% you give up you ability to keep pressure on them with the 'up missile' or straight missile which is 2% chip.
I think i may have been a littl'e bit off with the numbers, maybe it is like 3-4%, but i certainly shouldn't have used the language "across the board" and instead should have used "for the listed standard combos". For instance, replacing the jump kick in combo 5 with f4+4 bumps up its damage to 36%. I think that replacement increases the damage for at least the first five combos. I'm not near my xbox now to test the other combos, but i can later if you want.

Overall, I really like the guide, and it is a good reference card/overview. One question: Do any of the enhanced moves have armor?

First I wanna say thanks for taking the time and putting up the guide ScheissNussen.

I have to disagree with you Pasta on the anti air game being not as good it's really useful.Being able to cancel teleport in air and still get a nice combo is good too.

Also I found out that you can pretty much beat Kung Lao's teleport on reaction with Sektors.

Fatalities
Muti Smart Missiles-F,D,B,F FK
Stage-D,F,D,Block
Baby-B,D,D,D BK

Aww, come on, Savior! Scheiss did a good job on it I thought! Definitely covers the basics well for people who don't know Sektor yet, of course there isn't really anything we didn't know but that's perfectly okay. That's why we have this discussion area. :)

So, that thing I was talking about that I thought was pretty good...well, me being the street fighter player I am, I'm not used to people rolling away instantly. That thought came to me a while through testing and I set the computer to roll, but it didn't hurt my setup too bad, it's just not as amazing as I had thought before. That being said, let's get into it.

Okay, perhaps you recall that :l+:fk,:bk is the same as leg lift->:fk,:bk. The leg lift version is just too damn slow to come out in a combo, but stand alone you can make it work.

Let's take a combo such as :fp,:bp,:l+:fp,:r+:bk,:bkxx:d,:r+:bk, Ender...with a standard ender this does 36%. However, if we end it with :l+:fk,:bk you get 33% off the combo and then have the option of shooting out a straight rocket for 2% chip which is guaranteed if they roll but will miss if they don't get up or what I think is the better option which is up missile.

With up missile, if they get up and don't block, you can dash up :fk,:bk,:l+:fk,:r+:bk,:bkxx:d,:r+:bk, :ur+:fk_:bkxx:d,:r+:blk+:bk, Ender for ~50% damage. You can even tack on a :ur+:fp_:bp before the combo for a total of 54%. And of course you can do a TeleUpper->combo if you see it hit, it just won't do as much. If they get straight up and block which is more likely, you can run up and :l+:fk,:bk and do that BnB if it hits or play it safe and do straight missile for a total of 4% chip and 37% overall after the original combo. A little more damage and good positioning isn't a bad thing.

Now if they roll back, as I said before you get 2% chip if you do straight missile cause it would hit just as they get up. Now you have full screen positioning and did the same damage pretty much. And if it hits, a cool 8%. If you use up missile, it won't hit if they back up a tad but they can't jump or go forward without some invincible, probably punishable special and you can also throw out a straight missile if they don't have a teleport. Again, now you're playing your full screen game, woo hoo.

Finally, wake up attacks. I couldn't be bothered to test every single damn wake up attack but I did use reptile in my testing cause he has fast specials that move you forward and have tricky attacks. He could easily get up and past the missile in time and hit me...but only if I wasn't blocking. You should be able to block any wake up attack in time and if it's punishable, which it probably would be, you just nabbed yourself a good 40% or so.

In short (lmao), I believe this is a legit option, but I would choose to stay on the safer side of things and use it to create space, using up missile mostly. And on the off chance it hits on a roll or something, TeleUpper->combo. But hey, if you play against someone who never ever instant recovers, feel free to run up and put on the pressure. This probably won't revolutionize your game, but it's certainly another good option in my eyes with it being as safe as you want it to be.

P.S. As you may have noticed, if I post I usually write a novel, so be prepared when you see my name. LOL :) Keep up the good work guys, I think we're moving very quickly with finding his good stuff.

Great stuff, Jerk.

I like the idea of considering position over damage. When we are looking at differences of 2-4% damage it positioning is more important. Especially if we can put them in a position where they eat meaty chip for 2%. I think the next step would be to figure out, for each type of character, what sektor's most advantageous position, considering their mobility ('porters or no) and how strong their wake up game (fast moving specials, possibly armored Enhanced moves(can Enhanced be used as wakeup?).

RE Hag and Anti: It is highly possible that my anti air struggles are due to my poor usage of Sektor's tools, and not Sektor's tools themselves. I'll work on dealing with jump ins (usually my anti air teleport gets kicked). At least i know what to work on next :) .

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
oh no hate towards Nussen, i know he can update it later.Props for taking the time bro.

Jerk...ill have to read that essay later lol

Totally agree with the idea of going over each character's options, Pasta. I'm definitely down for that. And yes, once you get used to your AA game you'll think Sektor's is pretty good. :)

I have recorded the combos from Scheiss' guide, on some of them have done some tweaking because :r+:bk,:bk is better than jump kick mid-combo. I may also record a few more combos as well as a video going over my setup. Gotta go for now but hopefully I can work on this stuff some more later tonight.

Totally agree with the idea of going over each character's options, Pasta. I'm definitely down for that.
Count me in.

As far as your set up goes from your last post I think it can be really good.IMO it's a better option for a meter less combo or when you have a life lead and want to turtle unless you want to be in that particular characters face.

I checked most wake ups and your right no one can do anything about this with an attack except smoke who can use his counter on the missile.Some people have defensive options jade,raiden,and smoke so be aware of those its nothing major but just keep it in mind.

That wasn't too bad, it was pretty much the guide put into video format with some of the things we've gone over here. That being said, quite a bit was left out, and I guess Seb doesn't know about the leg lift overhead...for shame, it's right there in the movelist! Not to mention if people crouch block you do have the option to throw as well. lol but he's always fun to watch in the lab so I enjoyed it.

Sektor D tier lol...we'll see...

Jobe

Noob
I've been experimenting with F+4, up missile as a combo ender. F+4 seems to allow the best pressure options after the missile is blocked unless I am mistaken.

PsychoShot

@imashbuttons
So, I'm going to be playing Sektor as my secondary character, and so far, I've only played two Sektor players and they both tried to zone me (which didn't work, mind you since I play Noob), so what I have to ask is: Is Sektor really a zoning character, or are people just bad?

Great information. Thanks for putting these guides together. I'd love to see some match-up threads. I'm having a horrible time against noob saibot players specifically.

sebiel

Noob
Hey guys!

I'm glad you enjoyed my "In the Lab" video. As you probably guessed, it was more about my saying "this is as far as I was able to get without looking shit up" than about "this is the ultimate guide to Sektor." I've obviously learned a ton more since then. Here are some extra tidbits:

Guide currently has combos with b21 ender, whereas b2 xx flame gets like 2% more and builds more meter. Flame on hit leaves opponent standing and seemingly at neutral (hold up, and both characters jump at the same time). At that distance, it's super easy to flame AA somebody.

Guide currently states super is best used for armor. I agree that this is a good use for it, but check this out:
Q: Why should I punish with b2 xx super for 39% when I can punish with a f44 ex combo for 43%?
A: Because b2 xx super cannot be combo broken-- they're eating it no matter how much meter they have.

Notable super combos:
f2 xx super (good range and speed)
b2 xx super (good damage)
f4 xx super (can use in the middle of combos if opponent gains second meter during combo, and you want to avoid breaker)
jumpkick/u34 xx tele, super (tele can be broken but it's difficult since tele comes on the wrong side)

One more thing: In combos, jumpkick xx tele and f44 xx tele seem to be essentially the same with a few exceptions. I generally do f44 xx tele, but it might be worth noting that using jumpkick xx tele in combos builds your opponent less meter and does the same damage.

Thats a lot of good stuff to think about.

I initially thought about using flame in that way but it wasn't working out for me too well and now that i think about it's probably due to the fact that i was doing the mix up before i was actually doing the mix up (e.g. instead of waiting to see how they would react i would just expect them to block.)

Using J.Kxxtele so they don't gain as much meter isn't even something i was looking at but it's something to really think about.In a match the opponent usually breaks me at least 4+ times and it sucks to waste meter/lose dmg.

Also have you read anything in here about using B+2xxup missile for ex combo or B+3,4xxup missile for no meter as an ender to set up missile pressure/force a mistake? Any thoughts on that?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sektor is awesome, definitely underrated and his Back+1 is great to mix up as it pushes your opponents back from you to give you space.

You can really turtle with him with his missles, mix them up and also his teleport is harder to punish in this game as oppose to UMK3. Noticed he doesn't get as high as he used to. He can still be punished but it's just not quite as easy.

A few of my favorite BnB combos is jump in, 1, 1, 2, back+1, JK, teleport punch, dash in 1, missle does 33%
jump in 1, 1, 2, back+1, JK, teleport punch, dash in, 1, , 1, 1, back+1 does 36%

Oh his B+3, 4 is also GREAT for mix ups....only thing I'm slightly disappointed with is his seeker is now just an Enhanced version of the upward missle, but the upward is great for teleporters who jump jump(ie:Sheeva, Quan-Chi etc) Noob's is far faster so I've noticed it doesn't seem to work that great against him.

I also have an x-ray combo with him that does 48% but the timing online with dashing in is crucial.

Nice combo, but I think the situations in which it's actually applicable are quite limited. Anyone worth their salt will punish the shit out of up missile pretty much anywhere within jump distance. At least all of my friends do.

As for enders, I definitely prefer using b+2xx flame, since all wake up attacks are invincible on startup, if I'm not mistaken, plus you get 1-2% more, so not only do you get more damage, you get everything back to neutral rather than have to deal with wakeup bullshit.