What's new

Sektor Gameplay Discussion

And some of his basic combos I've figured out are as follows:

1,2,b+1, 2,b+2,f+2_f+2+block
f+4,4,d,f+2 (also can do EX here), b+2,f+2_f+2+block

In Corner:
1,2,b+1, 1, 1, 1,2, 1,2, 1,2,2

I know these aren't exactly awesome, but they're something. I saw some more in the guide at gamestop, but I didn't buy it and don't have a photographic memory

First time playing an MK game but the best I've found so far:

1,2,b+1,j.3xxTeleport Uppercut,f+2,b+1 (For Xray version, after the Teleport Uppercut end with just [2,Xray] instead of [f+2,b+1])

Short and simple, does 33% and Xray version does %46

I'm only used to the SFIV combo system so I'm sure you guys will find something better really soon :p

1,2,b+1, f+4,4xxMetal Uppercut, b+2,f+2 (gives you b+2, then the flamethrower thingy) does 41%. Enhanced (I forget the name), the last hit does another 2%. Not really worth it for the extra meter spent. b+2,1 at the end does 40%. In my humble opinion, that's just a better ender any time it connects. And the only time I think it doesn't is in the corner

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
good shit whitenoise, i hope our guide gets updated soon

you can also use j.BK~EX Uppercut everytime after landing a regular uppercut for a relaunch

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
Good shit white noise, i hope our guide gets updated.

Sektor's best specials IMO are

Uppercut - goes without saying, his main combo tool, projectile punisher, but being a teleport...it is punishable by a full combo. Dont abuse it but make your opponent always weary of it.

Flamethrower - my favorite sektor special. A reaaal funky move with a huge frontal hitbox. Great anti-air from sweep distance. Punishes dash-in's as well. Grounds airborne opponents.

EX Air Missile [D,B+FK] - Tracking/Homing Missile. Awesome pressuring tool, you can launch your other missles while this is out to really lockdown your opponent. Watch out for teleporters, but also know that once this move is out, impatient people will tend to want to teleport so punish accordingly.

Good shit, Whitenoise. :)

Savior, I totally agree with you on everything, but especially Flamethrower being a good anti-air. It works wonders.

I feel like there's not many of us Sektor players. :/ Keep up the good work, guys.

1,2,b+1, f+4,4xxTeleport Uppercut, j.4xxMetal Uppercut, b+2xxFlame Burner gives 45%, by the way.
Ending it with b+2,1 does 45% as well. The only difference is that burner/thrower don't knock down, whereas b+2,1 does
Ending it with b+2xxFlame Thrower does 47%. Again, not very relevant, but if that 2% stands between you and winning EVO, I'd say do it ;)

Thanks for the heads up on J.4xxMetal Uppercut btw

There might be more soon. He looks to be pretty good, definitely upper-mid-upper material. I mean, he gets decent, but not overpowered damge, and you know all those Tier Whores playing Kung Lao are gonna be salty when they patch his combo out. I'll admit I was originally gonna main Cyrax, but Sektor was always gonna be, at the very least, my tag partner.

Not only is Flame Burner/Thrower a great anti-air, it also straight up beats shit. I mean, I was playing my friend before (he plays Raiden, aka, Mr. I'm Never-At-Frame-Disadvantage), and he couldn't fly charge me or whatever it's called because burner just wins. Also, I need to start using air missiles waaaaaay more haha

Is it just me, or is it pretty much worthless to combo into his X-Ray? The only things I've found to combo into it are the combo posted above and
1,2,b+1,f+4,4xxTeleport Uppercut, 2, X-Ray, which does 45% and is harder.

That's cool, but you can get 45% without using all 3 meters. In fact, you can get it using 1. You can even get more if you use 2 meters, which is pretty much not worth it. So X-Ray combos must be even more so? I mean, you're basically using all 3 meters to do what you can with 1 and a jab.

That being said, what have you guys been using it for? I basically use it to eat a projectile/stop a combo a and make whoever I'm playing shit their pants, but not 60%-Smoke-X-Ray-Combo shit their pants.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
yes his xray is worthless in combos

much better off using the combo you posted with uppercut into j.k~Ex uppercut into whatever finishers for the same damage

i just use his xray as a punisher, i barely use any Ex meter, it impossible to connect combos online

Oh nice combo WhiteNoise, with the two uppercuts :)

Gonna try it right away when I can play again

By the way, what are you guys usually doing for pressure and such?

I can't think of a good overhead the Sektor has really to scare people, seems like down blocking him all the time will be too easy

Again I'm just an SFIV player, so all this stuff is new to me :x

Missiles. Watch what they're doing. If they're backdashing a lot, go straight-behind-straight-behind, etc
If they're moving in, straight,in front, straight, in front, etc.
If they're sitting still, straight, above, straight, above, etc. And don't forget the homing missiles

If they're throwing projectiles, space it so that you can teleport uppercut punish. You get 20% with no meter (Teleport Uppercut, b+2xxFlame Burner), or 33% with one (Teleport Uppercut, j.KickxxMetal Uppercut, b+2xxFlame Burner). Of course, you could also substitute the b+2xxFlame Burner in the first one with 2, X-Ray, but don't. Just don't.

Unfortunately, your overhead options are very limited. You have the last hit of 1,2,2, and your jumping punches and kicks. That's it. But if they're happy to sit there and ducking block, you should be happy to chip them away with missiles. That 2% per shot adds up mighty quick, and they'll realize sooner or later that they need to make a move sometime, you just need to punish it when they do.

You also have one of the best "get off me" moves in the game: Flame Burner. On block, it pushes them about half screen away, it's an amazing anti-air, since it makes it so the only way you can hit Sektor and not get burned is by hitting him in the top of the head. With a kick. And it will beat a lot of stuff on the ground if you react quickly enough and they're far enough away that it can come out.

It seems to me that people are neglecting :u+:fk AKA leg lift. So, I come bearing new technology! Seriously dawg, this shit will change your life...okay okay, anyway...

First, let's deal with this whole overhead issue...the :bk follow-up from leg lift stance is an overhead. It's fairly quick, and guess what? You get teleport uppercut off of it! You can go into a usual follow up, for example: :u+:fk->:bkxxTeleUpper,:r+:bk,:bkxxMetalUpper,[:l+:bp,:fp] or [:l+:bpxxFlamethrower] or whatever. These end up being 41% and 42% respectively. You can also cancel into flamethrower if it's blocked to give you some space. And really, think about it, if the opponent is just holding down+block, you can throw them too. Sektor has mixups, don't worry. Chip, an overhead and..what's this?...

Lows! Hey, if you're overheading their ass, they're bound to get caught sometime. This is where the other part of leg lift comes in. The :fk follow-up is a little faster than the :bk follow-up and hits low, and then also goes into :bk. From this, you can do more or less the same thing as above, you know the drill. A combo similar to the one above will net you 37%. So basically, you have a mixup game just from leg lift stance.

I should add a few notes. First, you can cancel into a special from :fk on block or hit. On hit I'm not sure why you'd want to, but on block sometimes the :bk afterward whiffs over their head, so you'll be a sitting duck if that happens. You can also special cancel from the stance itself very quickly, right after pressing :u+:fk.

Also, :l+:fk,:bk is the same thing as leg lift->:fk,:bk, so you don't really need to go into leg lift for it, but doing so gives you the mixup.

Finally, none of us know any frame data at all, but if the :fk,:bk is blocked, I think you've got a great setup for a throw.

I too agree with the "xray is useless in combos" sentiment. You guys are exactly right, for 1 bar you get the same damage, and it's not any harder. Rather save that for a breaker or enhanced moves, unless I can use it for the win.

Definitely can't be lower than mid tier for the reasons whitenoise gave. He's got stuff, but not broken stuff so we shouldn't need to worry about anything being taken away. Although Flamethrower is pretty damn good lol.

Anyway, hope you guys can use that info, if something's wrong then tell me and I'll take it. Peace.

P.S. Who likes human Sektor better? I like using him more, I think he and Cyrax are cooler as human ninja.

First off. You're right. Well, kinda. If this game uses the same hit system as Tekken, there are no overheads, just highs, lows, and mids. Standing block will guard highs and mids, and get hit by lows, crouching block will guard lows, highs will whiff, and mids will hit. It's really just semantics and they're honestly the same thing, but seeing a blast come out of his chest doesn't seem like it should be an overhead, honestly lol.

Much props on the leg lift stuff. I messed with it in practice mode and saw it as a good mixup for small damage, but that's it. I never realized you get so much off it. Good shit.

I think he's definitely solid, and if they quicken the startup on his x-ray a little bit, we might be able to start getting close to that retarded ass Kung Lao combo haha. As for costume, gotta go with the cyborg. It's old school, and it looks cooler in my opinon. Plus, where the hell is he hiding all those damn missiles when he's a human, hmmm? Either way, I'd take Human Sektor over default Human Smoke any day of the damn week. That hair is freaking ridiculous.

Saviorself

Noob Saibot
def robot sektor....his stance in the human costume looks so ackward

anyone notice any difference in human and cyborg form similar to cyrax?

lol props Jerk...i didnt even know he had another stance lol

edit: just played with it, OMG lol it totally changed my sektor game

Thanks, dudes, I have no clue about how tekken works, only played it VERY casually lol. I find these attacks a little goofy too, it took me a little getting used to, like I attacked with something and it says "high" so I'm like why isn't he getting hit in crouch block? But then I looked at the system guide and I'm like ahhhhhhhhhh! Just a bit different from my usual Street Fighter knowledge :)

Kung Lao that asshole lol. Savior, I've been wondering the exact same thing with the whole human vs cyborg thing. For those who don't know, human cyrax's teleport is safe while the cyborg's isn't. So, it will be interesting to see what's different between sektor's costumes. Did you guys figure out anything about that? I guess I should mention I'm doing all my stuff with human form for now, until we see what the differences are if any.

Great stuff here guys glad to see a few sektor players sharing knowledge.I feel like he gonna be an under represented character.

I feel like sektor can be really strong on D but offense not so much I didn't have the chance to play a lot of matches so this is all theory but i think leg lift is an interesting move with some good possibilities especially with missiles covering you but once the opponent sees it he'll just smack you out of it I read jerks post about canceling out of it but idk if thats a good solution.Any one else's thoughts on this?

Also anyone find anything good with smart missile? So far i only feel like it's good for moving forward.

MisguidedAngel

Greetings, Mortal
Hey guys! I'm new here. Been in the lab with Sektor for like 2 days straight now haha. Even if he is rumoured to be low tier, he's just so much fun. He seems super beastly any how.

I made an account here just to share knowledge I've come across: coincidentally I had found the same combo Whitenoise did and wanted to share it but blast! I was beaten to it :). It's amazing how for one bar you can full screen punish anything with his tele-uppercut for a whopping 34% damage (Tele into f-4,4, enh tele into b+2, f+2 =34% damage).

Leg Lift truely is one of the sickest moves ever. It's amazing for training your opponent, especially since the leg lift part can be cancelled into any special, there's so many options. There's the low hit, the over head (both combo into teleport), or cancelling into flame if they try to jump it! And if they get complacent with blocking you can just use the huge natural delay of Leg Lift to dash and throw them... so good!

I look forward to learning Sektor with you guys! Another interesting tid-bit I found is that if you attempt to throw an opponent on the same frame that they're hit with your upward missile or homing missile while blocking, then you'll get blown back in an explosion, which is pretty cool. But any other frame you seem to get a free throw off of it!

Edit: Also, the hit-stun is so huge on upward missiles that you have enough time to hit-confirm into a teleport uppercut for a whopping 41% damage combo! Upward missile, teleport, f+bk, bk, metal upper, b+bpxxburner (41%). So sick.

I don't see Sektor's x-ray being used at all, except against noobs.

Great stuff Angel I can't wait to try some that stuff out.Unfortunately I'm limited to training mode for the time being so I'll see if I can come up with something there for now.

Also I'm hungry for some frame data,I'm thinking of picking up the guide but I'm not sure.If I do I'll try to put up some stuff so I can contribute some how.

I figure for the sake of simplicity when our guide gets done, I'll just compile all the combos discovered, by myself, as well as posted in this thread, so far in one post

Enders:
b+2xxb,f+2 (Due to buffering, the b in the last move is inputted when you hit b+2, so it's b+2,f+2, but it gives you Flame Burner, can also be enhanced, but usually not worth it since you're paying 1 meter for about 2% damage)
b+2,1
2, X-Ray (Don't. Just don't)

No Meter
1,2,b+1, Ender
f+4,4xxd,f+4, Ender
1,2,b+1,f+4,4xxd,f+4, Ender
u+3,4xxd,f+4, Ender
u+3xxd,f+4, Ender
j.1_2, f+4,4xxd,f+4, Ender
d,b+3, (wait for hit), d,f+4, Ender

No Meter, Corner Only
1,2,b+1, 1, 1, 1,2, 1,2, 1,2,2 (honestly, not all that worthwhile, but it's something)

1 Meter (Now the fun stuff begins :D Also, it should go without saying the last juggle ender is out on these)
1,2,b+1,f+4,4xxd,f+4, j.3_4xxd,f+block+4, Ender
f+4,4xxd,f+4, j.3_4xxd,f+block+4, Ender
u+3xxd,f+4, j.3_4xxd,f+block+4, Ender
u+3,4xxd,f+4, j.3_4xxd,f+block+4, Ender
d,b+3 (wait for hit), d,f+4, j.3_4xxd,f+block+4, Ender
d,f+4, f+4,4xxd,f+block+4, Ender
d,f+4, j.3_4xxd,f+block+4, Ender

Good shit again, whitenoise. Thanks for putting that together, looks great.

By the way, any of you hang out in an irc channel or something? It'd be nice if we could get something worked out to where we can talk about some sektor stuff in real time, maybe try a certain thing out all at the same time or something.

So this is my first MK game since MK2, and ive picked up Sektor.

A finisher that I've been using (because my execution is terrible) is uppercut to meaty forward rocket (which adds 2%). I think that is decent in some situations because of the space it buys you over the flamethrower. Not that good against some characters (teleporters), but it might be something to consider.

One thing that i would like to work on, aside from combo execution, is playing smart with Sektor. How do you put yourself in situations where he can leverage his advantages? What spacing does Sektor prefer? Do you guys play defensively or offensively? Any way to really open up an opponent to launcher outside of the leg lift?

I haven't figured out when enhanced moves are worth it. A naive approach is if the Xray is 45%, then if an enhanced can add almost 15% damage to a combo then it is worth it. That doesn't consider all the details such as spacing, etc. That works for the Metal uppercut, but i still never use the homing missile, double rocket, nor the enhanced flame thrower.

I'm bad at this, but if you ever see me on xbl feel free to challenge me to a player match.

Edit: I also want to thank everyone in this thread for the combos listed. They are a big help.

Hi Pasta, welcome to the forums. I totally agree with your character selection. :)

I think that ender is decent but I'd really just try to do the other ones, :l+:bp,:fp is sooo easy, I would do that if I were you.

I tend to try and stay mid-long range against non-teleporters and up close against teleporters. I can spam stuff against those without teleports and flamethrower has been good for jump-ins. I have to stay up close on teleporters, I won't use rockets against them. I'm not gonna say his up-close game is godlike, cause it's not, but it's not too bad. But up close I tend to play defensively to find an opening. If they aren't doing anything and are just crouch blocking or something I go into leg lift, if standing I'll mix that with jabs to hopefully get the launcher combo.

As for enhanced moves, I think double rocket is absolutely useless, as is enhanced flamethrower. Homing rocket isn't bad but I don't use it a lot. And xray isn't really trash on it's own, like if you can kill someone with it go for it, it's just comboing into it is dumb when you get the same damage from ending with something like MetalTele into :l+:bp,:fp.

I wouldn't mind playing you online, have some training sessions or something. Hope to see you there.