What's new

Sektor Gameplay Discussion

DaeDraug

Noob
Is it possible to cancel cancelable moves in to UpMissile's front and behind versions? I have no problems with canceling in to regular UpMissile, but can't get the others. Even though my inputs seems to be correct...

Homing missile might be good to catch some getup teleports.

Dunxco

Teleport Uppercut!
ScheissNussen I've been using that kombo a lot, too. It nets you some serious damage and it's downright scary! Even though the damage is sweeter with b2xxFlamethrower I'm not a fan of how neutral it leaves the outcome. There's barely any advantage there to utilise and doing so makes you bleed pressure.

Having said that, I feel b3+4 feels like a more natural opening to throw out now and then due to the mix-up and linking so well into teleport uppercut. The problem is it's so slow on start-up.

sebiel

Noob
Actually, I think the fact that Sektor has b2 xx flame as an ender is one of his very interesting unique strengths. When beating fools up with Sektor, you have nothing to fear from wakeup attacks since you'll generally be keeping your opponent standing the entire time. Wakeup attacks can be ludicrously powerful, so this is really nice.

Dunxco

Teleport Uppercut!
It's a double-edged sword: Would you rather knock them down and risk a powerful wake-up attack, or reset the field with a damage lead and risk a fast attack due to proximity? At least with a knockdown ending gives you more opportunity to block. Take Raiden for example: I'd rather go with an uppercut instead of b2 xx flamethrower because of superman. Or Kabal dash.

Still, that's my thoughts on it.

Edit: Just doing a test in the lab right now: Ending the kombo with jump-kick > enhanced teleport upper instead of b2xx enhanced flamethrower is a 1% damage loss. Not enhanced? 3% damage. However, it creates distance, and Sektor recovers so much faster than the opponent that you can go right back into missile zoning, if you want.

sebiel

Noob
Due to lack of a good record/playback mode in training, my testing of this is unscientific, but it looks like flame on hit is +0. Holding up on both controllers after flame causes both characters to jump simultaneously. I might be wrong about this. If it's really disadvantaged on hit, then I can see it might be a problem.

If you knock Raiden down, you have the threat of an invulnerable wakeup superman. If you keep him standing, you have the threat of an armored ex-superman. In this sense, it is the same, but at least you dealt more damage...

In any case, if you want the knockdown, b21 does more damage than uppercut if I'm not mistaken <3

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Exactly. In MK9, being knocked down gives you access to even more GTFO moves. Flamethrower is a good ender in those regards.

BTW, welcome to TYM, Seb. I'm a particular fan of yours and Damdai's Super Turbo Saturdays episodes. :)

sebiel

Noob
Haha thanks THTB!

Dunxco, in regards to KD combo enders, I just remembered that b2 xx missile works in some situations (but not all). It should do the same amount of damage as b2 xx flame (1% more than b21, which is 2% more than uppercut). Also, ending with a special will build meter, while ending with uppercut / b21 normals will not.

Also, if you have not yet done a f44 xx tele in the combo, you can use that as well. f43 xx tele is easier to land later in combos, but doesn't do as much damage.

One more thing to mention: uppercut does do decent damage as a finisher, and it comes with this bonus: while it does not build meter for you, it builds the least meter for your opponent when compared to any b2 or f4 ender.

Dunxco

Teleport Uppercut!
Oh shit, I wondered where I saw that name before! Turns out I was watching one of your vids this morning!

You make some very good points, and convincing arguments regarding ending Sektor kombos.

:china:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Has anyone here had any real success with the homing missile?
I have a little bit, have been playing around with him more online. I was spamming 2 seekers one after the other on a full bar, and dashed in mixed it up with his B+3, 4 putting some pressure and was able to do a little teleport combo from that. Also, like mentioned already... against non-teleporters you can really put good pressure with the missles while turtling, I was doing so with the seeker, then spamming the upward and straight missle. I was doing so against a Cage player so it was working pretty well.

Trying to get combos combined with the seeker is more challenging. I also like shooting the homing and then going in with 50/50 attacks and throwing them. That can work pretty well.

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
One thing i´ve noticed today is that the homing missile can be follow inmediatly by a horizontal missile or a upmissile, both will impact at the same time and do a free 15% damage....and if you use both EX missiles they impact also at the same time and you do a 20% :popcorn:
The homing and the horizontal gives Sektor " a wall" that only can be avoided by a teleport

sebiel

Noob
Found new stuff in an effort to take advantage of nj.p scaling glitch outlined in the Advanced Strategy section. Punish combos:

b2 xx tele, nj.p, f44 xx tele 32%
b2 xx tele, nj.p, f44 xx ex tele, b2 xx flame 44%

Glorious damage from a medium range punish move. Initial b2 CANNOT be subbed for f2 for more speed and range for whiff punishing, sucky

sebiel

Noob
God damnit it's so hard to link the nj.p after the first tele! Swear to God it's possible though!

edit-- during the teleport, hold up the entire time. When you start landing form the first tele, just mash punch and you'll get it :)

Dunxco

Teleport Uppercut!
And that's just off of a regular teleport uppercut? Not an enhanced one? And can be done anywhere, not just in the corner?

*Whistle* that is nasty.

DaeDraug

Noob
I have posted the very same TU, jnp combo 3 days ago:

DaeDraug said:
TU, f+4, b+2~Flame Burner - 23% This is my bnb off TU
TU, nj.p f+4,4~TU - 24% the timing for nj.p is really strict here

UpMissilie, j.p, b+2~TU, nj.p, f+4,4~Ex TU, b+2~Ex Flame Burner - 55% My most damaging combo.
The best combos from no meter TU for now are:

TU, dash 2, dash, 1,2, b+2~burner - 27%

This combos was posted in combo thread by pimpimjim.

and my variation:

TU, f+4, dash, 1,2, b+2~burner - 27%

EDIT2:

NEW Strongest combo off TU!

TU, b+2,1, dash 1, b+2~burner 33% no metter.

TU, b+2,1, dash, 1,2~EX TU, b+2~burner 41%

I have a feeling there might be even stronger combos off TU :dance:

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
My BnB combo is B+2,TU,F4+4,EXTU,B+2,burner... 42% damage . It´s so simple(8 hits) and so solid, but the most important thing of this combo is that begins far away from the typical FP distance of your opponent. you don´t need to be as closest as the FP,BP,B+1FP combos,.If you see the opp. is blocking high allways, you can perform the typical B+3,4 (low) to begin...but it does less damage.

sebiel

Noob
Damn it Dae. I felt special for a bit there ;) At least I have the satisfaction of also finding it from scratch. Cool find on the dash 1 after the b21! I'm gonna try that as soon as I get home tonight.

Chino, that's what I do also, since the extra 2% isn't worth it for me due to my lack of consistency with that combination. Although with Dae's findings, it might be worth trying b2 xx tele, b21 dashup shenanigans instead for a no-meter version. Back to the lab!

Dante

Noob
Good combos Dae. Got a slight improvement for you,
TU, b+2,1, b3,4xxEX TU, b+2~burner 42% although it only works after a TU as a starter or b2xx TU

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
It´s hard to say this but playing and playing with Sektor I´m notice that it´s a character made for youtube combo videos, yeah, nice damage,just 1 bar, beautiful...but how this combo begins?
-A Missile you can block perfectly because it´s so slow ?
-An unsafe teleport?
-A simple H,H,H, string?
.... The only good way I see is The U3,4(overhead) but it´s tooooo slow, or perhaps 3,4....(low)
Bur EVERY char in the game has good strings with nice mixups , quick overheads that begins combos...etc... but nothing of this stuff here.
Yeah, you can perform "WOW" combos but it´s funny to see the dummy of the training soo unsafe... I would like to see this combos [EVIL]ONLINE[/EVIL]
I think it´s time to talk about, strategies,matchups, safe stuff, punish combos and things you make your gameplay better

DaeDraug

Noob
Sektor has so many bad matchups... His zoning is not good enough, and TU is too slow to punish some projectiles so he can be beaten in his own game. I have played a long death match against a decent Kano player and found out that the most comfortable range in this fight was at the tip of burner's hitbox.

I hate to say it but i have to agree sektor's teleport is really slow so it hard to use in some ways but a trick that i use is to N.J and then teleport and that works out pretty well for me most times.I feel like once people realize that all you have to do is block low on sektor its gonna make a lot of match ups really hard.

edit: I didn't see the glitch forum. This probably would be more appropriate there.

Had a weird thing happen last night against a sub zero. I did an up missile at the same time as the sub zero used his slide. He pushed me across the screen, freezing me in the up missile animation for the entire duration of the slide. At the end of his slide the up missile came down on his head. I took no damage from the slide. I just recovered normally from the up missile animation I had been frozen in once his slide ended.

Really weird. Maybe someone can reproduce it and get it on video.