What's new

Strategy Scorpion stuff that isn't talked about a lot

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Also has anyone foud a way to punish the johnny cage wake-ups. i know if you do a B4 he will whiff 100% of all of his wake-ups but I have no idea of how to punish him.

Also has anyone foud a way to punish the johnny cage wake-ups. i know if you do a B4 he will whiff 100% of all of his wake-ups but I have no idea of how to punish him.
Shadow Kick - both versions punished by 3,3 xx Spear on block.
Nut Punch - Punished with 3,3 xx Spear on block. Not sure about Ex version.
Flip Kick - Both versions punished on block by d1 xx TP

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Shadow Kick - both versions punished by 3,3 xx Spear on block.
Nut Punch - Punished with 3,3 xx Spear on block. Not sure about Ex version.
Flip Kick - Both versions punished on block by d1 xx TP
No I mean like the B4 making those moves whiff completely like I know I can punish the nut punch with 3,3 spear if you make it whiff, but the shadow kick recovers way too fast, and the flip kick is just out of range I think. On block hell yeah i can punish those all day, but making those whiff so that you get the punish without the chip is what im looking for

No I mean like the B4 making those moves whiff completely like I know I can punish the nut punch with 3,3 spear if you make it whiff, but the shadow kick recovers way too fast, and the flip kick is just out of range I think. On block hell yeah i can punish those all day, but making those whiff so that you get the punish without the chip is what im looking for
Flip Kick is still punished by d1 xx TP on whiff. Regular shadow kick can be neutral crouched

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
:D
When I'm pressuring my opponent, I like to condition them to poke out of 1,1. After that is established I use 2,1 because it has pushback, and allows Scorpion to whiff punish pokes.
Yup. The way I use it is after teh vortex setup, , f21~tele I do a crossover jump punch into 21 and buffer a back dash. Except for kitana, it leaves you at perfect range to punish pokes with b2 an f4.

ryublaze

Noob
2, 1 pushback for whiff punish is nice although I'm not sure about using 1, 1 to condition for it cuz the strings look different and 2, 1 has long animation. Maybe doing 2, 1 then going for standing 1 pressure would work? Idk cuz then they'd want to poke out after the 2, 1 string, then you can probably establish the whiff punish.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
2, 1 pushback for whiff punish is nice although I'm not sure about using 1, 1 to condition for it cuz the strings look different and 2, 1 has long animation. Maybe doing 2, 1 then going for standing 1 pressure would work? Idk cuz then they'd want to poke out after the 2, 1 string, then you can probably establish the whiff punish.
I like 2,1 it's a pretty good string. I just dash back cause alot of people will jump out of the pressure, and it's perfect space for a B2 anti-air.

Yup. The way I use it is after teh vortex setup, , f21~tele I do a crossover jump punch into 21 and buffer a back dash. Except for kitana, it leaves you at perfect range to punish pokes with b2 an f4.
When I'm down on life and I block a d1 I go straight for b2/f4. Your +12 or more against some characters.

1,1 will condition them to poke out after 2 hits. It's just to establish a 2 hit pattern in my opponents mind, so they'll always be ready to poke after 2 hits.

If you have a good ground game you'll always be ready to anti-air. I like to use backward JP's for easy air-to-air combos.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
ive been thinking of changing my usual 111 takedown to punish pokes and just b2, 111 has good pushback to make the b2 semi safe

so basically i start with a few 111 takedowns take the free 111 pressure afterwards when they respect it and b2 when i see theyre not anymore

I only whiff punish with b2/f4/spear

If my opponent is using stagger strings with 11f startup or above, I'll interrupt with 3,3xxSpear. For example, Mileena players like to pressure with continuous 4,2's on block. However, the startup is 14f and it can be interrupted by 3,3xxSpear.

2,1 is good because it's an overhead/low mixup even though they only lead to KD's. however mixing in a throw after 2,1 on block is a great way to bait pokes.

ryublaze

Noob
I sometimes use EX Spear after takedown too but can't people just start poking Scorpion and the spear whiffs? I do something similar with Skarlet after a blocked slide but the difference is that she can confirm the EX Red Dash into combo and her pokes don't suck.

ryublaze

Noob
And it might be character specific too cuz I think Scoot Mcgee made a thread about which characters EX Spear hits vs. their low pokes.

OZZYGUITAR

Back-dash Adam
He can still just read the jump and reverse his ex spear inputs and still bone you
i wouldn't use the ex-spear in that situation, if they read it and duck then you get full combo punished, cage can even do f33 for free damage into f33 np for pressure, its not a worth it guessing game imo, you're using a bar and taking a pretty big risk when you're already safe, i'd rather just deal with whatever the opponent decides to do with the adv, this is of course just preference

i wouldn't use the ex-spear in that situation, if they read it and duck then you get full combo punished, cage can even do f33 for free damage into f33 np for pressure, its not a worth it guessing game imo, you're using a bar and taking a pretty big risk when you're already safe, i'd rather just deal with whatever the opponent decides to do with the adv, this is of course just preference
How can they duck and jump? Lol

ryublaze

Noob
Can anyone hellfire otg after an air breaker or is that just a myth? People were saying you could do it in the breaker thread but everytime I try my opponent just tech rolls out of it. Maybe I wasn't fast or high enough but I'm starting to think it only works if they don't tech roll.