What's new

Scorpion Might Be Dead

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Kasual Skorpion player here.

I think, per usual, the truth lies somewhere between the extremes. I think he's still viable from my perspective.

I'm dropping this character. I think once people catch on to the fact that the answer against him now is to do absolutely nothing but react to him, Scorpion players are going to find it just brutal to even exist in this game.
• Scorpion - Hell Port and (Air) Hell Port are now high attacks
• Scorpion - Low Jab (Down + Front Punch) recovery increased by 1 frame
• Scorpion - Quick Kick (Down + Back Kick) recovery increased by 5 frames

If all it takes is three reasonable nerfs to make you drop a character, than you clearly weren't playing them to their fullest to begin with.

xx007iam

Noob
I duknow. I'm no seasoned pro but I feel the hit to D4 and D1 are a way bigger issue than hell port getting changed to a high. And I kind of feel that'swhat we should be talking about.

F3 is still GDLK. You can still get a +2 on block situation, which is explained in depth a few threads down and I encourage you to check out. It would have been nice to to get a buff, like a fast mid or some razzel dazzel on his OH. But, that's fight games for ya. The nerf bat giveth. The nerf bat taketh.

Cut it out. TP should’ve never been a mid to begin with. This change doesn’t hurt solid Scorp players that use him correctly. Its an anti-zoning tool. Not something to just throw out.

This change forces Reborn players to actually learn spacing and play the mid range like Scorp is supposed to.
alright so can I get some 23f startup for this anti-zoning tool?

There is no mid range in this game. People use projectiles in footsie ranges which aren't reactable with tele and Scorpion's up close game is horrible. If he's now meant to be a mid range footsie character he's fucked because that's not rewarded in this game at the highest level.
You may be the first person I've seen openly acknowledge this phenomenon, but I agree. Mid range doesn't exist. There's 'neutral' (which is basically just zoning), and range 0 pressure.

You may be the first person I've seen openly acknowledge this phenomenon, but I agree. Mid range doesn't exist. There's 'neutral' (which is basically just zoning), and range 0 pressure.
Projectiles are hard to jump and most travel fast. However, you can just neutral crouch and inch your way in.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Y'all are whack. I myself have given Cherny grief for his pre-release shot and his troll mentality, but he's better than a lot of you at the game and SOME of his opinions have merit. I agree that Scorpion dropped tiers just on paper.

However, I don't think he's dead. Searing Rage is the go to now tho, I think.

portent

Noob
They took away "millennial" Scorpion (the world owes me and I shouldn't have to work to achieve anything) and replaced him with adult scorpion, where you now have a responsibility to pay attention to your situation, and there are consequences other than a time out for making a mistake. LOL

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Y'all are whack. I myself have given Cherny grief for his pre-release shot and his troll mentality, but he's better than a lot of you at the game and SOME of his opinions have merit. I agree that Scorpion dropped tiers just on paper.

However, I don't think he's dead. Searing Rage is the go to now tho, I think.
I don't think this really changes Reborn's strategy of using tele cancel to reset himself when in danger. I need to lab more on opponents options on a tele cancel behind, but I do think he can create situations that will test opponents reactions.

Nothing really changes for Searing Rage here outside of the pokes.

He still has the ability to force you to guess on a JIK. Which is still a strong option.

Reborn will have to adjust strategies and take risks to be "aggressive" or mount a comeback.

That is my opinion.

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
I don't think this really changes Reborn's strategy of using tele cancel to reset himself when in danger. I need to lab more on opponents options on a tele cancel behind, but I do think he can create situations that will test opponents reactions.

Nothing really changes for Searing Rage here outside of the pokes.

He still has the ability to force you to guess on a JIK. Which is still a strong option.

Reborn will have to adjust strategies and take risks to be "aggressive" or mount a comeback.

That is my opinion.
I mostly agree, but I don't think Scorpion want s to be in the range far port leaves him anymore. It's still a viable way to remain safe, but you out yourself in a situation where you have to reenter the mid range to be effective. Time will tell. I think the damage in Seating Rage along with its conservation of defensive bar will be enough to give that variation an edge. But I'm no scorpion main, this is just me looking at an hour of planning the patch.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
FYI you can't get a D2 KB if Scorpion amplifies his teleport. You will only get a D2 KB combo if Scorpion goes for a raw teleport.

You can't time your D2 to hit teleport before the amplified part goes into start up so your D2 will just kounter the amplified part and since it's a mid you don't get a KB.