What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I don't think scorpion is very good in mk1. Mainly his lack of mids and d3 doesn't jail to 21. I use him with some success but this character cannot whiff punish low buttons.

I've been through a bunch of kameos but I think I'm sticking with Kung Lao fir now. F3 low hat is solid, makes it plus 2, and jails to 21 on hit. Low hat also helps some of his other strings but it can be jumped out of. It's great in neutral and he gets some shenanigans with teleport and 122.

I really think the lack of a solid mid with range hurts him a lot. Going through the cast, characters have lows, mids, and etc tgat even have more reach than st2. This character can pretty much only whiff punish standing opponents unless you're chucking out mb spear at close range.

I like him, he's fun. He's got some stupid damage with certain kameos but his string leave something to be desired.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Can't mash crouching buttons with a Sektor uprocket incoming :cool:. I didn't think too much about Lao as a kameo pairing, makes a lot of sense.

Generally I don't find the crouch button mashing too problematic but that's likely because I'm constantly running away with Scorpion - stuff like Raiden's low string can leave and never come back, though.

bmoee1

Noob
IMO Scorpion needs to enforce d3 twisted kyo in order to be successful. After doing it so many times, you learn how to make reads based off what your opponent decides to do, once Cyrax finishes the helicopter.

He’s not great against solid crouching normals (Havik,reiko), but you can always back up after a blocked button, and reset neutral where he is extremely strong. Grind the matchup and figure out scorpions options against said character.

Scorpion is at best in neutral IMO, so this spacing is perfect for him. Watch mkjavier or Murko on YouTube. They will show you the way…

Cyrax assist gives you a combo for two bars off a throw, and leads to a restand. He also has a cool assist setup in the corner. I posted the combo vid in the other thread…

When you put someone into a restand, you will be +17 off standing 33 (standing 2 leaves you plus 20 for less damage). From there you can get more chip, or you can go for another throw/strike mixup. The chip twisted kyo/cyrax causes on block is crazy. Take a look in the lab…

I say all this to admit… if they nerf cyrax, scorpion may actually be fawked.lol

d3 db2 is good but it can be beaten out. scorpion's only position is neutral. that or some form of zoning. he only does neutral and his neutral is average at best. cyrax being some end all be all for him is wack

wsj515

IMO Scorpion needs to enforce d3 twisted kyo in order to be successful. After doing it so many times, you learn how to make reads based off what your opponent decides to do, once Cyrax finishes the helicopter.

He’s not great against solid crouching normals (Havik,reiko), but you can always back up after a blocked button, and reset neutral where he is extremely strong. Grind the matchup and figure out scorpions options against said character.

Scorpion is at best in neutral IMO, so this spacing is perfect for him. Watch mkjavier or Murko on YouTube. They will show you the way…

Cyrax assist gives you a combo for two bars off a throw, and leads to a restand. He also has a cool assist setup in the corner. I posted the combo vid in the other thread…

When you put someone into a restand, you will be +17 off standing 33 (standing 2 leaves you plus 20 for less damage). From there you can get more chip, or you can go for another throw/strike mixup. The chip twisted kyo/cyrax causes on block is crazy. Take a look in the lab…

I say all this to admit… if they nerf cyrax, scorpion may actually be fawked.lol
And this is why I ultimately think Sektor is the better kameo - just harder to use. The Cyrax chip stuff is ultimately fake considering anyone can/should flawless block db2 pretty consistently, and there goes one of the major pros of using Cyrax over Sektor - only thing you're left with is the reset to neutral after Cyrax, which admittedly is really nice - but Sektor provides almost the same exact utility and more, plus all the additional damage.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Just picked up Scorpion Wednesday. I tried him with Cyrax, but now I'm running Stryker. Anyone else use him?

The grenades give you so much safety and pressure, and the combo damage is in line with the borgs. I imagine it fits the same niche that Sektor does, but with a little more reactivity and ease of use.

I like to imagine Stryker is teaming up with the Punisher sticker on his F150

wsj515

Just picked up Scorpion Wednesday. I tried him with Cyrax, but now I'm running Stryker. Anyone else use him?

The grenades give you so much safety and pressure, and the combo damage is in line with the borgs. I imagine it fits the same niche that Sektor does, but with a little more reactivity and ease of use.

I like to imagine Stryker is teaming up with the Punisher sticker on his F150
Haven't messed around w/ Stryker at all, what are the combos you're using him in?

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Haven't messed around w/ Stryker at all, what are the combos you're using him in?
This video is what I stole from. Basically, calling close grenade when you do Air Teleport floats them in most instances so you can do a rejump. The biggest issue I'm having is the routes don't seem to work in the corner, since Stryker throws the grenades behind them. So I'm trying to figure out a different route, but I'm bad at combo crafting

bmoee1

Noob
I just hate that I can’t hit confirm before using sektor as an assist. I also prefer the pushback of cyrax helicopter, which allows us to utilize our best normals, and stop the mash fest we intend to get away from.lol Even so, you are probably right, @wsj515.

Personally, I don’t think I need Stryker to enforce a throw/strike game with scorpion. We don’t really need to be that plus as we don’t have any offensive strings to mix with.lol

I think my scorpion is pretty lame.. I don’t jump or teleport, unless on a read. I also rely on the cyrax throw meter burn and corner set up. so maybe I’m not the best representative for this discussion.lol

that's mostly just how you have to play scorpion. really lame. full screen b3s. lots of throws. lots of baiting jumps. scorpion doesn't really allow a playstyle where you get to overstep unless it's with the proper assist. you really gotta get a feel of the matchup if you think you have a chance to go crazy.

finally made elder god with scorpion/scorpion. scorpion sucks. characters I didn't really run into include tanya, geras, shang, and nitara.

Last edited:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Another combo ender option for good damage instead of 33db2 if you got Scorpion kameo to spare you can do 333Scorpion Up Kameo. The only thing I've really landed after the fireball juggle is b2bf2. But got like 46% dmg using the @Juggs variant of the f32 starter (provided you can land it lol). Hopefully someone with better execution can see what craziness you can extend off that second Scorpion kameo in combo. So far it's 46% one bar, 2 kameo.

Edit: Miss typed. One bar is 46%. 2 bar (+111db2ex between 21db2ex and 111db2+ScorpKameo). And bf2 should have been b2-bf2. Corrected. Sorry for mistakes.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Another combo ender option for good damage instead of 33db2 if you got Scorpion kameo to spare you can do 333Scorpion Up Kameo. The only thing I've really landed after the fireball juggle is bf2. But got like 49% dmg using the @Juggs variant of the f32 starter (provided you can land it lol). Hopefully someone with better execution can see what craziness you can extend off that second Scorpion kameo in combo. So far it's 49% one bar, 2 kameo.
You also can end with 33 bf4 for the standing reset. This is one of my go to especially with Scorpion Kameo since you can combo off of b3

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
b3 after hellfire is free or can they armor out?
Not free. They can jump backwards, neutral or forward. But you mix it up with f+Kameo after hellfire. So if they jump forward they get hit and you get an anti-air combo. This is also a good mixup if they just block because the b3 is a low and f+Kameo with Scorpion is an overhead. And yeah they can armor through it (I assume), but everything they do they have to make a guess. They can’t react to what you do.

Also, most don’t know about this setup so most aren’t going to even know what to do. They have to not only know the MU but know about this setup AND have labbed against it. And even then, they still have to make a guess. I’ll make a video soon showing everything you can do after the hellfire and everything the opponent can do.

alright because I was thinking no way hellfire has enough frames on hit to make b3 or overhead assist guaranteed but I guess it's more to it than that because scorpion has some pretty heavy frame advantage strings

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash

Still think scorpion sucks, honestly. Yeah, cyrax assist gives him the chip nonsense. It's boring to play imo. I know it's decent but its literally all he has.

Tele cancel throw
Tele cancel f3 spin
Build meter
D3 spin
Land a bnb and restabd into spin
Etc.

Wait till people start to exploit the gap on normals canceled into spin. Ashrah, shao, johnny and kenshi all have full combo punishes for it, even with rax. Kenshi can backlash it and punish. There's likely more I haven't explored yet but anyone with a good, fast armor reversal can beat it.

D3 into chain is particularly vulnerable to a lot of reversals, if not all of them.

I think kameos will be kinda mu specific down the road, at least for scorpion.

His strike throw game is particularly bad due to lack of a good mid. F32 being a full combo punish is terrible. The character doesn't have anything aside from risk it all specials and a Tele cancel. Maybe if b3 was more rewarding or even if d3 jailed to 21.

I move kameos around a lot. Honestly I'm sticking with mostly Kung Lao and cyrax depending on the mu. I just wish scorp had a better mid.

Last edited:
Well now cyrax is dead. I didn't care for scorpion/cyrax so what y'all doin now? Any scorpion changes? Can't access my game at the moment

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Wasn't Scorp's f3 13 frames? The data says 12 so I either misremembered, the frame data is wrong, or they gave him a 1 frame buff and said well he should be much better now???

da800don

Noob
They effed up his air teleport and his teleport ex is slower and he has a bounce with it. When I’m in the air, after doing 1,3 air teleport, he whiffs.
Spear strike, 2, was +6 on block, now -2. Damn Nether Realm. He already was lacking.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yo they fucking nerfed Scorpion! What in the fuck are these morons thinking? His j12 now is completely different, and you can’t do j12 xx EX TP, as the EX TP after j12 no longer connects. Why in the FUCK would they nerf Scorpion of all characters?

I was afraid of shit like this happening once I found out they nerfed Sub-Zero from the beta.

Welp, the trend of Scorpion always getting unnecessarily nerfed in early balance patches continues, smfh.