What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Skryba

Noob
Im geras. I block MB tele. I d2. It whiffs. He d2, it connects.

Can someone please explain why my d2 whiffs when I'm plus and his d2 connects when he's minus? From my perspective, I read the tele with block and then go to punish and get penalized while he is rewarded for pushing a button when minus.
Being + doesn't mean you can punish anything with any move, regardless of timing. You have to consider how + you are, and punish with a move that has a startup inferior to the amount of frames you're + on.

Not sure what MB tele is, though, but just check how - it is on block and then you know with what you can punish.

To me it just sounds like you messed up your punish and you opponent punished your whiffed D2 with a D2 of his own (which he may or may not have just been mashing out xD).

i feel like no one talks about how scorpion's b3 whiffs on crouching opponent's up close. i talk about scorpion needing tiny changes/buffs here and there but a lot of it is quality of life stuff like that.

Im geras. I block MB tele. I d2. It whiffs. He d2, it connects.

Can someone please explain why my d2 whiffs when I'm plus and his d2 connects when he's minus? From my perspective, I read the tele with block and then go to punish and get penalized while he is rewarded for pushing a button when minus.
In this game, some punishes will whiff despite looking like they cannot. Some punishes require you to move forward a little then punish. Crazy as it may seem, try it out in training mode.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
i feel like no one talks about how scorpion's b3 whiffs on crouching opponent's up close. i talk about scorpion needing tiny changes/buffs here and there but a lot of it is quality of life stuff like that.
I dont even really use b3. Mostly only works in netplay.
Lately I've been using F4xxMB4 to open my opponents up to F42 xx TP. It's high risk high reward.
Try conditioning with b1 xx mb2. When conditioned start throwing in b1 xx mb cancel f42.

In this game, some punishes will whiff despite looking like they cannot. Some punishes require you to move forward a little then punish. Crazy as it may seem, try it out in training mode.
there are a lot of cases like this and big negative moves should just vacuum so they aren't like pseudo safe

at first I didn't care that teleport was made into a high but random crouch buttons evading my teleport is beginning to piss me off

After spending some time with it, I feel like Burning Specter is Scorp's best variation.

even after the nerf, MB3 is just too good of an asset to his game.

Misery Blade works so well with his moveset that you have to wonder if it was originally a part of his base kit.

If you're gonna use him Burning Specter is the way to go.

Parasurama

Dragon
After spending some time with it, I feel like Burning Specter is Scorp's best variation.

Misery Blade works so well with his moveset that you have to wonder if it was originally a part of his base kit.

what meaty would you do on knock down in burning specter? Just F3 for the plus frames?
In Reborn you can confirm into Tele for full combo.

What are you basing this on? Flawless blocking after mb3?

What are you basing this on? Flawless blocking after mb3?
Not at all. That’s stuff for advanced players to exploit and steal turns with.

MB compliments his move set. It allows him to set up whiff punishment with ease and he can play at an optimal range. He also has a safe special in MB3 that has different push back depending on the move/sting used. That’s a big deal in this game.

what meaty would you do on knock down in burning specter? Just F3 for the plus frames?
In Reborn you can confirm into Tele for full combo.
I use F3~MB3 mostly. It blows up counter pokes completely, & It’s safe with pushback.

When they’re out of defense meters I use F4~MB4. You’re boned if they block, but it can open up opportunities to land F42 later on.

Scoot Magee

I honestly cant say if it's better than his other variations but it gives him utilities he didnt have before. I'll just go over what I think the some of the pros and cons of the variation are.

F3 is not very threatening in this variation outside of the corner. Theres no hit confirming ability and once the kb is gone it's not much of a threat. F3 mb3 is great in the corner though because the mb3 wont whiff if the f3 hits. It can lead to some solid corner pressure and respect of f3.

B14 is the main go to imo. The issue is a lot of characters can challenge and punish options including walking back after b14 cancel. The only real option to respect is d1 but mb3 can whiff when canceled from d1 at the range b14 cancel leaves you at. This depends on the range that you use b14 from and the character you're fighting. You really have to know the ranges to use it well imo. People also need to study the range of b14 mb3, it still works but is range and character dependent.

B1 mb cancel is like -10, going off memory. It's got some good stagger potential, though. It could be gimmicky, I've only really played this variation online because nobody really plays this by me. Anyway b1 xxmb 2 and b1 xx mb cancel into f4 work pretty well. People tend to respect the low after b1 so xx mb2 can condition them to block high to open up cancel into f4.

F42 mb3 is actually a solid option to make f42 safe. It's great for the low threat without too much risk. F42 can obviously be hit confirmed into a full combo.

Sin blade is great. Theres a lot of ways to apply it. It gives scorpion great 1 bar damage. St 4 xx mb3 is a good ender off a raw sin blade.

B2 mb cancel is pretty good but it doesnt have the same utility as reborn. It can get you into a decent position depending on the range. If it hits you get nice frame advantage. I still think the move is way better in reborn.

D1 mb3 is one of the best things he has in this variation. I dont know if it's worth giving up more threatening mids like b2 and f3 that can be hit confirmed. It's still really annoying to deal with.

Imo this variation requires more work to win. More conditioning and etc. I dont know how well that will play out in this game. This us why I think reborn is the safer pick.

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

I use F3~MB3 mostly. It blows up counter pokes completely, & It’s safe with pushback.

When they’re out of defense meters I use F4~MB4. You’re boned if they block, but it can open up opportunities to land F42 later on.
My issue with f3 mb3 is that if f3 hits you get nothing but a whiffed mb3. In reborn it's a potential hit confirm into a combo. This works better in the corner imo.

I get decent use from mb 4. Its range I'd insane and it works great on people trying to back up.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
My issue with f3 mb3 is that if f3 hits you get nothing but a whiffed mb3. In reborn it's a potential hit confirm into a combo. This works better in the corner imo.

I get decent use from mb 4. Its range I'd insane and it works great on people trying to back up.
There's an easy option select for this. I believe if you do F3 MB Low sword then 3 you'll get a combo on hit and F3 mb 3 on block, you can also option select it with the cancel. It's pretty easy I was getting it pretty consistent and my executions' pretty bad.

I still think reborn's better.

F3 is better for hit confirms in Reborn, but you get more opportunities for conditioning in BS.

Most players know that they can just poke free after a blocked F3 against Reborn. It’s super annoying.

I honestly cant say if it's better than his other variations but it gives him utilities he didnt have before. I'll just go over what I think the some of the pros and cons of the variation are.

F3 is not very threatening in this variation outside of the corner. Theres no hit confirming ability and once the kb is gone it's not much of a threat. F3 mb3 is great in the corner though because the mb3 wont whiff if the f3 hits. It can lead to some solid corner pressure and respect of f3.

B14 is the main go to imo. The issue is a lot of characters can challenge and punish options including walking back after b14 cancel. The only real option to respect is d1 but mb3 can whiff when canceled from d1 at the range b14 cancel leaves you at. This depends on the range that you use b14 from and the character you're fighting. You really have to know the ranges to use it well imo. People also need to study the range of b14 mb3, it still works but is range and character dependent.

B1 mb cancel is like -10, going off memory. It's got some good stagger potential, though. It could be gimmicky, I've only really played this variation online because nobody really plays this by me. Anyway b1 xxmb 2 and b1 xx mb cancel into f4 work pretty well. People tend to respect the low after b1 so xx mb2 can condition them to block high to open up cancel into f4.

F42 mb3 is actually a solid option to make f42 safe. It's great for the low threat without too much risk. F42 can obviously be hit confirmed into a full combo.

Sin blade is great. Theres a lot of ways to apply it. It gives scorpion great 1 bar damage. St 4 xx mb3 is a good ender off a raw sin blade.

B2 mb cancel is pretty good but it doesnt have the same utility as reborn. It can get you into a decent position depending on the range. If it hits you get nice frame advantage. I still think the move is way better in reborn.

D1 mb3 is one of the best things he has in this variation. I dont know if it's worth giving up more threatening mids like b2 and f3 that can be hit confirmed. It's still really annoying to deal with.

Imo this variation requires more work to win. More conditioning and etc. I dont know how well that will play out in this game. This us why I think reborn is the safer pick.
Reborn has more options to hit confirm obviously, but I don’t want to give up that safe special. MB3 makes him so much better up close and that’s where he lacks IMO.

B14~MB1 is +1 making d1 6f which is very nice.

I also like that you can take on a really safe Play style or go ballz to the wall reckless.

I’m going with BS off of safety alone.

Parasurama

Dragon

The problem with b14 is that if they jump you get combo’d.

Scoot Magee

The problem with b14 is that if they jump you get combo’d.
I understand that, even on hit the 4 whiffs and you're screwed. Still b14 is great in a lot of situations where most people shouldn't be jumping. If a jump may be coming I'd just b1 xx mb. It works well in meaty situations where they may jump on wake up. F3 is a good option too because you can confirm into a juggle.

Last edited:

Parasurama

Dragon
I understand that, even on hit the 4 whiffs and you're screwed. Still b14 is great in a lot of situations where most people shouldn't be jumping. If a jump may be coming I'd just b1 xx mb. It works well in meaty situations where they may jump on wake up.
I think you guys could be right with Burning specter being best with safety, but it feels good to F3 Tele confirm into full combo in reborn. Maybe F3 into MB.

Scoot Magee

I think you guys could be right with Burning specter being best with safety, but it feels good to F3 Tele confirm into full combo in reborn. Maybe F3 into MB.
I think reborn is best but that could change in some matchups. I really dont know enough yet. My main issue is giving up full combos off b2 and f3.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
So after reading this thread I decided to give this variation another go after the nerf, and I've been having good success with it that I don't know if it's better than reborn or not or just mu specific. I'm going to reach demi-god with it next season and report back but it's really good against people that like to counterpoke or press buttons which is most of the online playerbase hehe.

Now if only I could get sin blade after ex teleport more consistently.