What's new

Samurai Shodown 2019 Discussion Thread

S+ Main

Noob
Any of guys no any good rundowns/breakdowns of the characters, or what characters are beginner friendly I only just saw some gameplay a few days ago cause I've been busy. But this deadass looks fucking sick so I'm buying as soon as I get home tonight.
please and thank you.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Any of guys no any good rundowns/breakdowns of the characters, or what characters are beginner friendly I only just saw some gameplay a few days ago cause I've been busy. But this deadass looks fucking sick so I'm buying as soon as I get home tonight.
please and thank you.
I don't think there are easy or hard characters, it's really all about footsies. But I'm sure there are characters that are 'easier' to play, ask @JBeezYBabY

Wetdoba

All too easy...
please and thank you.
The game does not have a huge execution barrier so I would just play who interests you. If you scroll to the bottom of the wiki page (read this for sure too) they have a page for each character giving a brief description amd run down of their moves amd gameplan.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
please and thank you.
Welp. Uncle JBeezY is specializing in Earthquake which is an under-used character but has the longest reaching normals in the game. He's kinda like the Dhalsim of SamSho except hes fat as fuck but hes beast as fuck. I also give tips on mechanics in the game the tutorial doesn't teach you. Check out my channel if ya like :)

S+ Main

Noob
cheers guys n gals, I was just wondering if there were traditional character archetypes. not tryna brag I got the footsie game on deck. Cause I have never whiffed captain colds lvl 3 trait.

S+ Main

Noob
Welp. Uncle JBeezY is specializing in Earthquake which is an under-used character but has the longest reaching normals in the game. He's kinda like the Dhalsim of SamSho except hes fat as fuck but hes beast as fuck. I also give tips on mechanics in the game the tutorial doesn't teach you. Check out my channel if ya like :)

thanks, Ill defietly check it out when I get home. Like dhalsim you say, well I am a dhalsim main in sfv so . . . gimme dat ass. (no homo)

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
cheers guys n gals, I was just wondering if there were traditional character archetypes. not tryna brag I got the footsie game on deck. Cause I have never whiffed captain colds lvl 3 trait.
Honestly, there's not really an archetype per-se. You can play each character quite differently. But the top 2 fan favorites most people consider the best are Genjuro and Tam Tam.

That would be a good start to look up.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Honestly, there's not really an archetype per-se. You can play each character quite differently. But the top 2 fan favorites most people consider the best are Genjuro and Tam Tam.

The game itself is not an archetype but each character is definitely designed to have their own archetype with specific game plans. Hanzo is the oki/mix up character, Wu the traditional zoner, galford the mobile zoner, EQ and Tam the big button turtle characters, Hao the fireball DP character, Genjuro the rushdown DP character, Darli is a a unique take on traditional grappler archetype with her sword, etc

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
The game itself is not an archetype but each character is definitely designed to have their own archetype with specific game plans
To the most basic extent, yes. But this game allows you to freestyle how you want to play the character once you get a basic understanding of them :)

Wetdoba

All too easy...
To the most basic extent, yes. But this game allows you to freestyle how you want to play the character once you get a basic understanding of them :)
That is true but having set archetypes and still being able to express yourself through gameplay are 2 separate things. The characters have their gameplans but differently people play them differently to fit their personal playstyles. Our locals have 4 earthquakes for instance and some like to jump back a lot while others like to stay kore grounded, both viable but overall they are still playing the same gameplan of keeping his distance and controlling space with his buttons

C-Sword

Noob
please and thank you.
Shiki is the hardest character to play with, she's probably bottom tier. You should check out Sonicsol's and Justin Wong's YT channels, they did great rundowns of each characters

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
That is true but having set archetypes and still being able to express yourself through gameplay are 2 separate things. The characters have their gameplans but differently people play them differently to fit their personal playstyles. Our locals have 4 earthquakes for instance and some like to jump back a lot while others like to stay kore grounded, both viable but overall they are still playing the same gameplan of keeping his distance and controlling space with his buttons
It seems like jumping in this game is pretty good for characters like Earthquake and Darli, I jump constantly with her cause that J4 into D4 does hella damage.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
It seems like jumping in this game is pretty good for characters like Earthquake and Darli, I jump constantly with her cause that J4 into D4 does hella damage.
Oh you mean her H attack

Some people have different ways of calling the attacks. The basic lingo is...

A - weak attack
B - medium
C - hard
D - kick

And I've noticed the community is using numeric, anime directions to explain the directions of the move.

Picture the direction pad of your controller, right. Now place these numbers to represent that.

So your D4 would be considered 2C. Does that makes sense?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Yes jumping is good overall due to them being weapon jump ins and having no whiff recovery but like anything can still be blown up. Hanzo for instance can hit you with a heavy air to air then make you hold a 4 way mix up afterwards for 40% plus

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Oh you mean her H attack

Some people have different ways of calling the attacks. The basic lingo is...

A - weak attack
B - medium
C - hard
D - kick

And I've noticed the community is using numeric, anime directions to explain the directions of the move.

Picture the direction pad of your controller, right. Now place these numbers to represent that.

So your D4 would be considered 2C. Does that makes sense?
That's so confusing, I think I'll stick with 1234 XD

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man

I was checking out Rooflemonger's video, and the two that definitely stood out to me as characters that I'd wanna try out are Genjuro and Darli. Charlotte also has my interest due to her poke game.

Here's a tip also. Don't focus on your Rank score because once you hit about 6k or 7k, a lost to a 5k or under will almost immediately drop you back down a rank.
What I notice about a lot of online opponents in this game is they don't really try to make adjustments after a losing a few and will continue with their YOLO play style.

Another tip I would recommend is to understand your Unarmed move sets. A lot of people will get too aggressive on you when you have no weapon, but you can still get them with some unarmed special moves. Tam Tam and Galford still have most of their special movesets Unarmed.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Also when unarmed most people will go ham on you with their weapon attacks for the chip so dont forget about weapon catch to keep them honest there

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Here's a tip also. Don't focus on your Rank score because once you hit about 6k or 7k, a lost to a 5k or under will almost immediately drop you back down a rank.
What I notice about a lot of online opponents in this game is they don't really try to make adjustments after a losing a few and will continue with their YOLO play style.

Another tip I would recommend is to understand your Unarmed move sets. A lot of people will get too aggressive on you when you have no weapon, but you can still get them with some unarmed special moves. Tam Tam and Galford still have most of their special movesets Unarmed.
Also to note while unarmed, you can still parry but if successful you actually unarmed your opponent and kick them full screen away from their weapon putting you at a great advantage to take yours turning the tables on them.

I think parry unarmed works exactly as the same while parry with a weapon. You can only parry mids and highs but cant parry kicks, jump ins, lows, or special attacks.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Been giving this some thought. I'd say the best idea for me right now is to wait until EVO. That way, I can clear out some other games in my backlog and also see the game played at a higher level so I can see if it would gel with me, even though at first glance, it already does feel that way.

Been giving this some thought. I'd say the best idea for me right now is to wait until EVO. That way, I can clear out some other games in my backlog and also see the game played at a higher level so I can see if it would gel with me, even though at first glance, it already does feel that way.
Sounds like a fair plan. Back logs are the way to go when you are indecisive. I don't know how some people do it, but juggling multiple fighting games and being above average is very difficult. For me MK11 is on the back burner until the next major patch (probably after EVO).

C-Sword

Noob
The game is a lot of fun. I'm actually liking it more than I thought I would. I've been practicing doing instant TSUBAME GAESHI with Ukyo. Btw, are you guys playing this game with a Dualshock 4 or a stick?