What's new

Samurai Shodown 2019 Discussion Thread

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@haketh you play Nakoruru right? How do you get her to do two strings on the bird. In this video the guy is doing swipe, into bird kick, into block string back into bird on block. When I do the kick it whiffs every time.

2:10 mark.

haketh

Noob
That kinda sucks then lol. Probably won't try it in a real match as it would likely be too hard to judge on when I'll hit or whiff at game speed.
I only go for Bird Pressure on Tam Tam & Earthquake ight now due to their size, I havne't played Nako in a SamSho till now because none of my previous mains made it so I'm getting used to things

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Been giving this some thought. I'd say the best idea for me right now is to wait until EVO. That way, I can clear out some other games in my backlog and also see the game played at a higher level so I can see if it would gel with me, even though at first glance, it already does feel that way.
There's soooo many tournaments you can already view for that. VSFighting was over the weekend and DTN with Justin Wong and Chris G. I mean, thats pretty fucking high level names. Im pretty sure their matches will be on YouTube soon.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
The game is a lot of fun. I'm actually liking it more than I thought I would. I've been practicing doing instant TSUBAME GAESHI with Ukyo. Btw, are you guys playing this game with a Dualshock 4 or a stick?
Been playing with controller. But i maaaybe thinking about trying the game with my Hori Commander controller.

Wu on the lowest tier? Bullshit. I hate these early ass tier lists because clearly they don't have enough experience with all characters. BTW. I did play against James & Cory at my local on Saturday. Those were some good ass sessions :)

d3v

SRK
Wu on the lowest tier? Bullshit. I hate these early ass tier lists because clearly they don't have enough experience with all characters. BTW. I did play against James & Cory at my local on Saturday. Those were some good ass sessions :)
From James' own list, it's pretty obvious why they're ranking Wu low. It feels like there are a number of match ups she just doesn't really do well against. It's telling that Chris G, arguably the best Wu at the moment, picked Haohmaru against Justin Wong at DTN. While on paper, Wu looks like she can be strong because she can play lame and zone her opponents out, she had trouble getting that life lead in the first place. Characters like Tam Tam and Charlotte have a better time getting that life lead because they have the normals to back them up. And once characters do start playing lame against her, she also has trouble getting the life lead back because her playstyle is based around players trying to get in on her in the first place.

She's basically Mina without all the stuff that made Mina trickier to fight in 5SP and 6.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
From James' own list, it's pretty obvious why they're ranking Wu low. It feels like there are a number of match ups she just doesn't really do well against. It's telling that Chris G, arguably the best Wu at the moment, picked Haohmaru against Justin Wong at DTN. While on paper, Wu looks like she can be strong because she can play lame and zone her opponents out, she had trouble getting that life lead in the first place. Characters like Tam Tam and Charlotte have a better time getting that life lead because they have the normals to back them up. And once characters do start playing lame against her, she also has trouble getting the life lead back because her playstyle is based around players trying to get in on her in the first place.

She's basically Mina without all the stuff that made Mina trickier to fight in 5SP and 6.
But its hard to out-lame Justin, so I can see why he used a more aggressive character like Hoahmaru because Wu cannot even contest against Tam Tam's normals at all. She is one of the slowest characters in the game that rely on projectile and traps, but Tam Tam's multiple skull throw can beat her. So I get it.

I tried to make Wu work. It destroyed my record and I fell way under .500. Went back to my Nakoruru main and recovered from it but Wu is bottom tier to me. She's just simply not as good as other characters. Her movement is too slow. range is not that good, and her punishes are fairly weak. The best thing she has going for her is her Unblockable rage explosion setup with trap that can easily win you the round, however usually you'll end up dead trying to set it up.

She's a fun character but the fun stops when the loses pile up.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I tried to make Wu work. It destroyed my record and I fell way under .500. Went back to my Nakoruru main and recovered from it but Wu is bottom tier to me. She's just simply not as good as other characters. Her movement is too slow. range is not that good, and her punishes are fairly weak. The best thing she has going for her is her Unblockable rage explosion setup with trap that can easily win you the round, however usually you'll end up dead trying to set it up.

She's a fun character but the fun stops when the loses pile up.
Ive had some success with her in Casuals but Ranked....yeah, I feel you. I just went back to my main Earthquake and continued the ass whoopage!

d3v

SRK
But its hard to out-lame Justin, so I can see why he used a more aggressive character like Hoahmaru because Wu cannot even contest against Tam Tam's normals at all. She is one of the slowest characters in the game that rely on projectile and traps, but Tam Tam's multiple skull throw can beat her. So I get it.
Justin is playing the game the way it's meant to be played (and is arguably the best in the world at the moment). This is Samurai Shodown not Rushdown Fighter V.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
SNK is on FIYAH! Rimiruru is out on the 7th (tomorrow) and apparently we're getting a BALANCE PATCH this month! OOOOOOOOOOO! So fucking exicted! Its clear Genjuro is the toppest of the top tiers right now, so i hope they bring all the characters to his level somehow. Im a major advocate for more buffs than nerfs. Keeps games fresh!

Wetdoba

All too easy...
SNK is on FIYAH! Rimiruru is out on the 7th (tomorrow) and apparently we're getting a BALANCE PATCH this month! OOOOOOOOOOO! So fucking exicted! Its clear Genjuro is the toppest of the top tiers right now, so i hope they bring all the characters to his level somehow. Im a major advocate for more buffs than nerfs. Keeps games fresh!
Where did you hear this?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Where did you hear this?
Rimiruru being released tomorrow I heard from one of the devs on Twitter because ppl were freaking out that she is already being seen online.

EDIT....wait....thats today! IS SHE PLAYABLE YET ?QUESTION MARK?

Which mechanic do you guys like better, rage explosion or fatal blow?
Rage Explosion hands down! It adds elements to the fight rather than a get out of jail free card that last 5 minutes.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Rimiruru being released tomorrow I heard from one of the devs on Twitter because ppl were freaking out that she is already being seen online.

EDIT....wait....thats today! IS SHE PLAYABLE YET ?QUESTION MARK?

Rage Explosion hands down! It adds elements to the fight rather than a get out of jail free card that last 5 minutes.
I saw the Rimi tweet actually after asking here and noticed yesterday that she is on the character select if you bumper over to reveal dlc characters but she wasnt downloadable. The new snow stage was playable yesterday tho and looks fantastic. I couldnt find a tweet on balance changes tho?

C-Sword

Noob
Funny thing is I had the game for a while and I didn't realize that it stopped time until I saw Infiltration using it to make a comeback when his opponent was waiting for the time to run out.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I saw the Rimi tweet actually after asking here and noticed yesterday that she is on the character select if you bumper over to reveal dlc characters but she wasnt downloadable. The new snow stage was playable yesterday tho and looks fantastic. I couldnt find a tweet on balance changes tho?
I haven't seen any balance changes yet. But i hear it will be soon after Rimi is released