What's new

Samurai Shodown 2019 Discussion Thread

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
OOOOOO I see. So the Poppy part is not the overhead mixup, its Galford. So he can Asuna drop, overhead, low medium into Super, etc.
The super might not work, because of the long startup animation. BTW, it's Izuna Drop, not Asuna Drop ( :valle: ). However, the WFT might work. I gotta lab him even further once Viennality ends. And yep, it's Galford doing the OH part with 66HS. Nobody is using the 66MS due of how slowly it gets out.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
The super might not work, because of the long startup animation. BTW, it's Izuna Drop, not Asuna Drop ( :valle: ). However, the WFT might work. I gotta lab him even further once Viennality ends. And yep, it's Galford doing the OH part with 66HS. Nobody is using the 66MS due of how slowly it gets out.
Tomato potato. Whateva lol

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
just watched this and I was like wth were SNK thinkin removing all the combos from the new SS?

Returning this to its roots (SamSho 1 and 2).

BTW, after seeing this VOD, I still remember Galford's old super. I miss it so much.

d3v

SRK
just watched this and I was like wth were SNK thinkin removing all the combos from the new SS?

Most combos in Tenka are either dial-a-combos from IV spirit (basically just press A+B, then AABBCCCC with every character), or just stuff you never see in a real match. Not to mention Tenka is pretty weird and at times doesn't feel like a proper SamSho game with its low damage.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
This may or may not have been discovered but I was messing around in training mode trying out Yashamaru and found out some Rage Gauge tech. Just wanted to share :)

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Today im gonna be playing Wu. Tried her last night and OH MY SWEET GURKENS she is so damn fun to play as! I will be streaming it today 4:30/5:p PST if anybody interested for the SamSho party!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What is the consensus on the netcode and online gameplay? Is it clean enough to consistently play games without issues or lag? Is matchmaking, finding games, rematching, etc quick? How is the ranked mode?

@Wetdoba
@Hitoshura
@JBeezYBabY

or anyone else who has it. I played it NONSTOP at CEO, more than Tekken and MK11, but haven't bought for the sole reason of online fears.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
What is the consensus on the netcode and online gameplay? Is it clean enough to consistently play games without issues or lag? Is matchmaking, finding games, rematching, etc quick? How is the ranked mode?

@Wetdoba
@Hitoshura
@JBeezYBabY

or anyone else who has it. I played it NONSTOP at CEO, more than Tekken and MK11, but haven't bought for the sole reason of online fears.
The online does feel a bit slower to keep it all the way live BUT its not horrible to the point where you mess up your inputs. The netcode is good when you have the right filters. Same region, and you get to choose ppl who have good connections to face against. Unlike MK11 where you're randomly paired with anybody.

In Ranked you have two ways to find your opponents. You can do matchmaking where you can play other modes, like training and have the queue on. OR you can find opponents that meet your criteria of the filters you set.

If you're paired against somebody with a garbage connection, you have 5 or 10 seconds to decline. So I do like the ranking system thus far waaaaaay better than MK11 thats for damn sure!

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The online does feel a bit slower to keep it all the way live BUT its not horrible to the point where you mess up your inputs. The netcode is good when you have the right filters. Same region, and you get to choose ppl who have good connections to face against. Unlike MK11 where you're randomly paired with anybody.

In Ranked you have two ways to find your opponents. You can do matchmaking where you can play other modes, like training and have the queue on. OR you can find opponents that meet your criteria of the filters you set.

If you're paired against somebody with a garbage connection, you have 5 or 10 seconds to decline. So I do like the ranking system thus far waaaaaay better than MK11 thats for damn sure!
Nice. I'm dying to get this game. Huge fan of the fundamentals behind the gameplay. Might go get it this week and take the chance.

Wetdoba

All too easy...

@Wetdoba
@Hitoshura
@JBeezYBabY

Online room system is terrible honestly. If you want to 1v1 someone you have to make a room and go back to the room and select your character between every single match, cant instant rematch like offline. Baffling honestly.

Connection will be based on who you play. If its someone you know with a good connection its fine. Randos in ranked gets bad tho and if you filter to only give 4 bar connections youll basically never get matched with anyone.

Having said that this is still the best fighting game I have ever played when it comes to actually playing the game offline. Our local was poppin yesterday and every set and match up is just so damn fun and you never really feel robbed whatsoever. Its a game I can play hours on end just based on how free form and based on your opponent you have to play due to flowcharting and bad habits getting so easily blown up for big damage on reads.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Early tier list

Top 2 are Genjuro and Tam Tam
Ugh...the tier list talk. I mean, i guess i agree those are the top 2 characters at the moment but everything is subject to change since its so early. But giving Genjuro fully invincible DP with quick recovery was a bad idea.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Online room system is terrible honestly. If you want to 1v1 someone you have to make a room and go back to the room and select your character between every single match, cant instant rematch like offline. Baffling honestly.

Connection will be based on who you play. If its someone you know with a good connection its fine. Randos in ranked gets bad tho and if you filter to only give 4 bar connections youll basically never get matched with anyone.

Having said that this is still the best fighting game I have ever played when it comes to actually playing the game offline. Our local was poppin yesterday and every set and match up is just so damn fun and you never really feel robbed whatsoever. Its a game I can play hours on end just based on how free form and based on your opponent you have to play due to flowcharting and bad habits getting so easily blown up for big damage on reads.
Wow, that's some PS2 online adapter level stuff lol. No instant rematch is insane. Hopefully a patch comes around to address a couple of those issues. Tekken patched some online features that were tedious post-launch and it benefited greatly, so I'm hoping Shodown will as well.

Yea I agree about the game. It's probably the only game that I've played for a fighter that I can't even get upset about anything. It's just too good and solid of play. Even if you are down 70% life it's still nail-biting, or up 70%. I loved it. I do have a couple of people to play so I'm thinking I'll get it and wait for the online patch.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Wow, that's some PS2 online adapter level stuff lol. No instant rematch is insane. Hopefully a patch comes around to address a couple of those issues. Tekken patched some online features that were tedious post-launch and it benefited greatly, so I'm hoping Shodown will as well.

Yea I agree about the game. It's probably the only game that I've played for a fighter that I can't even get upset about anything. It's just too good and solid of play. Even if you are down 70% life it's still nail-biting, or up 70%. I loved it. I do have a couple of people to play so I'm thinking I'll get it and wait for the online patch.
Yes I have multiple friends to play with offline and a good local scene where half the set ups where for Samsho yesterday so its easy for me to avoid ranked so if you find steady people to play offline its a 12/10

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous

Yeah...the online lobbies arent good. Its like playing musical chairs on who can get to the middle to fight next EVEN AFTER YOU WIN! The best way to avoid this is have a lobby of 2. Just you and whoever comes in then you run long sets. I actually like this because you get some good character MUs experience.

Also to add. In Ranked mode there is a rematch function. So there isnt a best to whatever cap. You play until either of you decline to play each other. I think thats pretty dope.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
So that means Galford can't backdash plasma blade any more?

Also, Galford having a free teleport while getting hit is for SOME reason getting off radar for everyone.

So you hit him, you must clearly NOT hit him with long recovery moves as he will actually punish you on your HIT, and you still have to GUESS for hitting him.
He can also do it while you punish him for doing it in the first place, over and over, which is immensely inapt.
I saw at NLBC the guy was punishing one teleport and getting teleported for punishing over and over until he lost because he couldn't guess them all.

Hanzo has this too but he is rarely used so clearly nobody cares.

And yes, Galford is broken, op, needs to be removed from the game, is Scorpion+Mileena+Aquaman combined infinite free safe 33/33/33 mixups can't punish, please nerf asap day0 patch etc etc etc etc.