What's new

Strategy Rushdown Jade?

d1 and d3 on block linked to shadow kick can be interrupted (14 frame window for d1 and 13 frame window for d3)

d1 on hit linked to shadow kick can't be interrupted

d3 on hit linked to shadow kick can't be interrupted

4 linked to shadow kick on block/hit can't be interrupted

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I believe 4 shadow kick whiffs against crouch block characters. When I was testing this a while back I was appauled to see that d3 shadowkick will hit low hitbox characters who are low blocking, but not D4 shadowkick.

The actual block animation makes the kick whiff.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Jade's "pressure" is how safe she is when she's not moving and stands 5 steps from you imo. The problem begins if you make a wrong move and get punished for full combo.

By this I mean she's more of a baiter/teaching character than a rushdowner. Her fastest move is a high (1) but she has 4 which is a mid and crushes any low.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Jade's "pressure" is how safe she is when she's not moving and stands 5 steps from you imo. The problem begins if you make a wrong move and get punished for full combo.

By this I mean she's more of a baiter/teaching character than a rushdowner. Her fastest move is a high (1) but she has 4 which is a mid and crushes any low.
Unfortunately it is 12 frames. Anything quicker than it will still stuff it. Nothing about it lifts it over the low pokes.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Unfortunately it is 12 frames. Anything quicker than it will still stuff it. Nothing about it lifts it over the low pokes.
I think it has far better range than any d1 and most d4? So what I do in a real fight is if I anticipate a low poke I 4,db2 and it usually works.

Espio

Kokomo
I believe 4 shadow kick whiffs against crouch block characters. When I was testing this a while back I was appauled to see that d3 shadowkick will hit low hitbox characters who are low blocking, but not D4 shadowkick.

The actual block animation makes the kick whiff.
I actually tested this recently on crouch blockers and 4 into shadow kick doesn't whiff on crouch block, should I record a short video and show the various hitbox sizes to see if it's consistent across the board? Standing 4 into shadow kick I like a lot.

I just really need to test it on Kenshi and Mileena because they have the biggest extremes in hitbox sizes from large to super small. If it works on them, it'll work on everyone in between them in terms of hitbox size.

Edit: Just tested it and 4 shadow kick works on Mileena's tiny hitbox as well as Kenshi's big hitbox if the opponent crouch blocks the string and if they don't block it, they eat the string, so it's a viable option in my opinion.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
None of the cancelable normals jail if canceled into SK if the opponent is ducking, not even 23f2 which is +25 on block cancel. What I mean by not jailing is that they can let go of block before the SK and it will miss in any situation. SK will only jail on standing block, which means they can not let go of block, and punish before SK.
It seems that SK behaves like a true high when canceled.

Will NOT jail on standing block: 1SK, 23SK, b1SK and b3SK. The rest will jail ONLY on standing block.

They can punish every ducked SK, be it naked or canceled if they block low. So, if you start a blockstring on a duck-blocking opponent, and he is aware of this, you better finish it in staffgrab, low rang or OS.

But, the frame advantage on every cancel is different. Since SK is 37 frames duration (including execution), means you can count the disadvantage you're at. For example: 1 canceled on block is +13, which will make SK -24 if it is canceled on a ducking opponent and he lets go of block before the SK. Every character can not only uppercut you here, but even full combo punish.
The best are 34 and d4 which leave her at -11. b32 and 23f2 leave her at -12 - so once the opponent gets the hang of it he can punish you with a full combo since almost every char has a 12 frames and less combo starter.

I play a heavy rushdown Jade.

Ex Glow is key to keeping heavy rushdown against your opponent.
Example B3 F2, Ex glow, and keep on pressure, if they block, you get chip and meter, if they poke back, you get a combo, etc.

When she has no meter, I calm down, play a footsie game, and if possible, zone a bit (vs characters who can't get in as easily)

Jade's a pretty cool rushdown character in her own way.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Jade can easily rush down her opponents...she has so many safe options. It's just more of mentality of how you use her mixups. IMO, she is the queen of applying pressure and then walking back slowly into one of her PLETHORA of whiff punishes. In a lot of the videos I posted of my Jade matches, I land B2 ALOT by simply rushing in and retreating.

She is definitely a punisher/spacing character but you can certainly rush in with her (not like blind talentless Cage hacks...hehe)...she has her own style of rushdown, like Mr.Mileena said.

Although I'm still learning the character, I have an All-Around style of Jade. I do a little bit of both: Rushdown/Zoning/Counter-Zoning. She is deadly if played patiently and slowly as well as patiently and fast. Does my rambling make sense? lol

LolingOctopus

Modest and humble genitalia destroyer
I played Jade a lot and from what I noticed the fact that she has shadow kick so she can end her 'strings' on 0 is pretty cool... however her fasts moves after a shadowkick are 12, d1,d3 and b4. The rest is somewhat too risky up close without armor. Thats what turned me off from the character. She's not bad, but everything she does Jax does better.

They both have excellent moves to push people in the corner (For exemple, Jade b32 and f212 push the opponent so far away it's insane)

However, in the corner Jax gets insane amount of damage, Jade gets 42%.

I'm not saying 'Drop the character you fool!' but be wary of her flaws, once people know when to poke out. They will.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

Example B3 F2, Ex glow, and keep on pressure, if they block, you get chip and meter, if they poke back, you get a combo, etc.

When she has no meter, I calm down, play a footsie game, and if possible, zone a bit (vs characters who can't get in as easily)

I did say that Jade can pretty much turn the table by doing what a character hates, to that character, after taking away their options.
Essentially this means that Jade is played as a chameleon (Not the shapechanging ninja from mk:t) in a sense that if a character hates zoning she can zone them, and make sure she's not zoned if a character is a great zoner but hates upclose combat. She adapts and counters. But still, her strings were not meant to be a steady rushdowner, keep in mind that while certain characters mix up with high and low she mixes up with playstyle.

Espio

Kokomo
My point was just to say that shadow kick hits crouch blocking opponents. If you do shadow kick ever it can neutral ducked and punished accordingly, this is more or less a matter of mixing it up with just the regular strings, staff grab, ex glow, walking back etc. to keep the opponent guessing and not being too predictable i.e. mixing it up.

As for people learning to poke out of things, well yeah that applies to everyone, including Kabal and Cage with their pressure, when people learn when to poke out of it, they will.

I did say that Jade can pretty much turn the table by doing what a character hates, to that character, after taking away their options.
Essentially this means that Jade is played as a chameleon (Not the shapechanging ninja from mk:t) in a sense that if a character hates zoning she can zone them, and make sure she's not zoned if a character is a great zoner but hates upclose combat. She adapts and counters. But still, her strings were not meant to be a steady rushdowner, keep in mind that while certain characters mix up with high and low she mixes up with playstyle.
I make her work it.

Espio

Kokomo

I feel I know how to fight Jade really well and your rushdown Jade is actually pretty effective so props for that, it's certainly possible.

I actually do miss that playstyle a bit, I rushdown in small bursts and mostly play a footsie game, but I haven't seen many Jade player utilize ex glow the way you do, it's crazy, I sometimes feel slightly bullied like last time I fought you with Sheeva lol.

LolingOctopus

That is when you armor them into a combo. See my above statement. :)
Online it will work. offline? will work once. You can run away from ex-armor, and then you waste meter in an attempt to get in. It's good I give you that. But as soon as someone knows the MU it's just not the solution.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Online it will work. offline? will work once. You can run away from ex-armor, and then you waste meter in an attempt to get in. It's good I give you that. But as soon as someone knows the MU it's just not the solution.
We like to hide behind the whole online offline argument, let's just speak about character strategy instead of online and offline.
What we are saying is that you are on the offense and people want to poke out. You are either baiting the poke and n3db2 into a combo, or they bait your glow and make you waste meter.
It's not a matter of "working once" but about who makes the right choice. Jade is about making the right choice. If you armored and they ran away, they learned your pattern and baited it. Change your style.

LolingOctopus

Offline = 0 frames delay, a game filled with math
Online = a game with constant frames delay, a game filled with read and guess.

They're different let's not even get on to that.

I'm simply telling you that in my experience Jade offline is tricky because in tournament settings there are character that does the job much better than she does. Don't let me stop you. Hell go ahead.

Prove me wrong. Prove me wrong and place above 13 at an offline Major. Thats what I did with Jade and I realised I wouldn't go anywhere with her. Maybe i was wrong.

Do it.