What's new

Strategy Rushdown Jade?

I am still really new to mk9 and Jade, and sometimes find myself confused with her offense. From all the reading, watching, and playing, I understand that she isn't designed for agressive offense, but I am having trouble figuring out how to start applying pressure from closer range against more mobile characters. Most of the games I've won online have pretty much from playing footsie games where I play defensively and whiff-punish and counter-zone. Her long normals and specials are easy to understand, but against chars like Scorpion, Raiden, or Sektor, it's obviously more difficult to remain in the sweep/outside sweep area where Jade thrives. Whenever I'm being rushed down, I have a tendency to D3/cross up my way out to where I can use her range again. I have a hard time figuring out when to use her short ranged strings like 1,2,2 or 2,1F2 or 3,4,2. Most of the times that I have tried to dash in with these strings, I found myself being interrupted. I only use these in between combos/juggles, and mostly stick to the F2,1,2 or B3,2 when poking in for pressure.

Any help understanding the use of these strings and knowing when to use them would be awesome! I use 1 and D1 to poke out of pressure, but never use the aforementioned strings to start an offense.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

You know... Like 2 days after I bought mk9 about a month ago, my brother took my ps3 and i have been stuck playing the vita version ever since :( i wont have my ps3 for the whole summer.. But i will add u and hopefully we can play when i get it back! Thanks btw!

No, separate servers, I think. Learning this game on this little handheld is making me want to buy another ps3 though... :mad:

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
He doesn't post here too often, but PunisherRogue has a very good offensive Jade. If I can get his ass on here I'm sure he can point you in the right direction...

One thing that KILLS me is that damn flash. Read a projectile, flash, Shadow Kick to get in, but don't do the second one so you can STAY in, and then use her ridiculous pokes and standing 1 to just NOT LET ME GET AWAY

Espio

Kokomo
I am still really new to mk9 and Jade, and sometimes find myself confused with her offense. From all the reading, watching, and playing, I understand that she isn't designed for agressive offense, but I am having trouble figuring out how to start applying pressure from closer range against more mobile characters. Most of the games I've won online have pretty much from playing footsie games where I play defensively and whiff-punish and counter-zone. Her long normals and specials are easy to understand, but against chars like Scorpion, Raiden, or Sektor, it's obviously more difficult to remain in the sweep/outside sweep area where Jade thrives. Whenever I'm being rushed down, I have a tendency to D3/cross up my way out to where I can use her range again. I have a hard time figuring out when to use her short ranged strings like 1,2,2 or 2,1F2 or 3,4,2. Most of the times that I have tried to dash in with these strings, I found myself being interrupted. I only use these in between combos/juggles, and mostly stick to the F2,1,2 or B3,2 when poking in for pressure.

Any help understanding the use of these strings and knowing when to use them would be awesome! I use 1 and D1 to poke out of pressure, but never use the aforementioned strings to start an offense.

I'll break this down by strings you mentioned.

122- This string should never be completed with the second 2 because it's -20 something on block, very punishable, you should either do 1,2 or 1,2, shadow kick (both of these options leave you at zero) or 1,2 staff grab all these options are safe on block.

You can insert a down 3 to gain advantage go into 1,2 pressure and mix up with a throw, more blockstring pressure, cross up or back away and bait out a whiffed string and do back 3,2, staff grab or if you space right and read a poke attempt you can blow up something like Sonya's down 4 with a staff overhead.

3,4,2- is -16 on block I don't recommend using this often and if you do use it and the opponent blocks the 4, cancel into staff overhead as it provides a mix up and leaves you at zero, if you have meter enhanced staff overhead is best and can lead to full combo and is safe armor.

2,3,f2- This is a great block string that leave Jade at zero on block and gives a nice chunk of meter especially since you can incorporate shadow kick or staff grab on the end or go into staff overhead, this string is popular for starting ex boomerang pressure amongst Jade players, upward boomerang is best as if your opponent jumps they get knocked out of it.

Jade is primarily a footsie based defensive character from what I understand of her, so you're playing her right, but you sometimes have to play a rushdown game with her to be successful as characters like Raiden can mess up her spacing.

Another good offensive string is forward 2,1,2- great range and a good string that leaves her at zero on block and sets you up for a throw, down 3/down 4, cross up, and follow up block string mix ups, but be very careful not to whiff this string as the recovery is terrible. It's also a fast advancing combo that you can go into shadow kick after the last 2.

He doesn't post here too often, but PunisherRogue has a very good offensive Jade. If I can get his ass on here I'm sure he can point you in the right direction...

One thing that KILLS me is that damn flash. Read a projectile, flash, Shadow Kick to get in, but don't do the second one so you can STAY in, and then use her ridiculous pokes and standing 1 to just NOT LET ME GET AWAY
Hope he can post some tips :)

Yeah, unless I'm facing Kenshi, I find it's easy to get in her opponent's face and apply pressure with her sweep-range pokes and whatnot. I'm just confused on how to use some of her shorter-ranged strings.

Awesome, thanks Espio.

I've mostly been using strings like 2,3,f2 to gain meter when the opponent is blocking. Against characters who are constantly teleporting in/rushing down, should I be using these strings to regain distance, or use them as a primary offense since most of her ranged pokes are so slow and punishable?

I guess I just don't understand why I would dash in and use these strings when I could be poking to set up a combo.

Edit: Actually, I just reread it and saw "You can insert a down 3 to gain advantage go into 1,2 pressure."

That clears up everything. I was just using D3 to get people off of me. Thanks!!

Espio

Kokomo
Awesome, thanks Espio.

I've mostly been using strings like 2,3,f2 to gain meter when the opponent is blocking. Against characters who are constantly teleporting in/rushing down, should I be using these strings to regain distance, or use them as a primary offense since most of her ranged pokes are so slow and punishable?

I guess I just don't understand why I would dash in and use these strings when I could be poking to set up a combo.
Her strings can be used for both offense and regaining distance, but her strings like 1,2 are pressure based as opposed to creating space because they have no pushback, only her pushback strings are for creating distance, rushdown characters you want space against and you should be using strings like back 3 2 as I mentioned to whiff punish a string from your opponent. If someone whiffs a poke you can back 2 or staff overhead as well.

I'd recommend baiting out teleporters and full combo punishing them hard as opposed for using the lower damging strings for punishments.

back1/3 staff overhead, back 2,1,2, 4 forward 3 is my standard bnb, but other Jade players have other punishment combos, so it's a personal choice really.

The thing is you sometimes have to play rushdown, which is why the strings are important and useful, against someone like Raiden or Kung Lao, they're hard to keep out and they will get in, so you need to use Jade's fast normals to keep in step with them, Her standing 1 is 9 frames, pretty decent speed and one of her fastest normals.

Rushdown isn't a constant style, you'll need to incorporate evasion and defense too, it confuses your opponent when you mix up your approach, people tend to not expect an evasive, defensive player to go on the offensive, it's playing a complete game, really.

Also, I forgot to mention 4, forward 3, this is great for up close and is safe on block with the pushback, I use this sometimes, you can cancel it into a special for example: 4, shadowkick/staff grab, which I recommend canceling into shadow kick if you want to be at zero and your opponent is standing or staff grab if your opponent is crouching and has a small hitbox like Mileena because the forward 3 will whiff on Mileena's germ sized hitbox lol.

Her standing 4 is also 9 frames like her standing 1.

Hopefully that helps, any more questions, we'd love to help in any possible way we can:).

Espio

Kokomo
Wow, that clears up a lot. I need to practice her rushdown lol
The only reason I've been beating Raidens and Kung Laos is because they usually spam Superman, and Spin/Teleport

Thanks again!
It's all about having a complete game, I see a lot of players talking about, "I play rushdown x character" or I play zoning x character", to play a character to their fullest potential, it's important to have the complete package, even if a character doesn't specialize in rushdown or zoning, you can still make use of your characters up close and far way options to the best of your ability.

Glad to help in any possible way I can:).

Just mix your great spacing and footsies together with well timed and appropriate rushdown for a given situation as you gain more experience, you'll know when you should rushdown and when you should play conservative and evasive.

The best rushdown is smart and calculating, picking your shots wisely.

Try working on reviewing the frame data, it will help you build up a solid foundation to know when you can get away with things and when you'll have to yield to your opponent's options and respect them by blocking.

I hope you can get some more experience with more innovative players outside of the spamming nonsense, it will really help level up your game and when you get back on PS3, I will gladly play you as I'll be back in full swing with MK.

Thanks guys! I should memorize Jade's frame data in its entirety, lol, not just the numbers for execution and block advantage.

CompletelyJaded

Whiffmaker
Yomi out the sockets. Baiting, waiting, and making that annoying little sound of the growing grass: bf3. Jade's offense is stopping about sweep distance and then knowing what to do to what the opponent does. A lot of characters simply can't do anything to Jade at this distance: they will try to jip and get full combo punished for it, try to special and get blown up, try to rush in and get hung up on b2 or a glow b1/n3/n2 starter, or start to block and try to force you to make a mistake.
Jade's offensive game is a threat: The threat that if you don't come in and rush me down and beat my ass, I'm going to roll you around in your own pain until you're fully covered, and then dunk you in some pwnsauce before I eat you up. Because it is too easy.

Oh, and Jade is not backjump/walkback free at this distance. f21shadowkick just catches anybody if you do it at the right time. No escaping the green!

CompletelyJaded

Whiffmaker
Backaway Yomi:
Opponent Backdash: f2 , boomerang, or shadow kick. EN boomerangs are the best way to snare them if you have it. If they block and do not get done in for a 39% bnb off of snare, blockstring them a bit to get back your meter.
Opponent Backjump: same situation except you can now kick them right into the corner. Fun fact, if a backwards jumping opponent gets caught in the second kick, they're right in the corner even from almost the opposite end of the map. Or you can u3 them *trollface*
Opponent back and crouch bait: Have to read this one but you can overhead them at this distance if you get the distance right.

f2 string is meant for this, guys. Catching them with superior range.

Yeah, I just have this obsession for precision lol. That's also exactly why I don't have an obsession for online...

Espio

Kokomo
Edit: Actually, I just reread it and saw "You can insert a down 3 to gain advantage go into 1,2 pressure."

That clears up everything. I was just using D3 to get people off of me. Thanks!!
Keep in mind if they block your down 3 you're at -7 though and they're at advantage so be careful.

Keep in mind if they block your down 3 you're at -7 though and they're at advantage so be careful.
Yeah, I mostly use d3 to poke out of the opponent's attack or as a mixup in between strings.

On another note, in you guys' opinions, does Jade have good corner pressure? Her mixups in the corner are really good imo.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Start with this:

Use B32 from rage into Staff grab on crouch block, and use shadow kick on a standing block.

Shadow kick will leave you at 0 frames, and in d3/crossover range, staff grab will make them respect that you will special from this string.

Once this is established, you can do that from 23F2 with as the string ends the same as B32, but only start doing this string from a staggered B3 on its own.

Once all that is established, both these strings are 0 on block without specials chained, in, you can start trying to mount a D3, Grab, crossover, or 12 after any of these, if the opponent mashes pokes after any of these strings, you can start using the overhead staff special to make them respect your option to move forward from anything on block.

If you go in for a d3, and you are crossed up, use :ex glow and punish with a full combo.

From any crossover or JIP, use B1 into Staffgrab on block, and B1 staffoverhead on hit for a full 38% combo.

Don't under play the reverse throw from Jade either, as she can bait an AA, or press with F21, or B32, or even U3 again.

This is how I play her, its not the ''how to'' way of Jade from anyone's standards, except mine.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Thanks a lot, UFG. I love your style and appreciate your input.
I need to throw more...
If you chance a B1 from a JIP on block, Do the upwards :ex Rang, there is enough frame advantage to land another JIP B1 Staff grab, and it will get back the bar of meter again, and do great chip in the process.

Also, from the second JIP B1 on block, do shadow kick on a standing block.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Aparently, d1~shadow kick, d3~shadow kick and 4~shadow kick doesn't link any move into combo if it hits, but once blocked, shadow kick will not whiff against crouch block.

Can the oponnent interrupt shadow kicks if i cancel it with the previous mentioned normals?

The thing is, since shadow kick is 0 on block, it would give jade some rushdown pressure, followed by pokes, whiff punish and flash fakeouts