What's new

Rumor: M11K to change combo system.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
We'll have to see it when we see it. There does seem to be a consistency in sources, though, but I would also not be surprised if the wording of "more SF-like" isn't an accurate enough description.
This is 100% were I am at.
People keep saying SF and implying links, when it's probably just chain combos.

Im so very curious to see what they do when it comes to frame advantage on hit, well certain moves have been hella obnoxious in the past, I do think the meta for those mechanics was actually really fun.

My perfect situation would be varying levels of frame advantage for moves.
So lets say a standing 4 was +20 on block, and for the first 10 frames you could link another normal, but from frame 10-20 it was more traditional NRS style where the opponent could auto block.

A bigger question is what are they going to do with frames in general, like are they gonna keep it to standard 6f jabs, or go a more traditional 3f jab, and speed up the entire game to be more similar to other 2d games?

I really can't wait.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Damn, sir! I detect some hostility lol! Take it easy, sir. In any case, I've won my fair share of tournaments, nothing really major but some fun locals that I've traveled to and I also try....try to compete at EVO lol! I do ok but it's really fun to compete and get better which is why I do it.

Instead of reprimanding me for my failure to understand the meta, why not offer to help me understand instead?
Lol, no hostility intended. I just shoot straight.

Our games only having 2 year life spans prevents things from being fully fleshed out unfortunately, there are useless strings yes, but there are ALWAYS useless moves. That's just a casualty of fighting games.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Lol, no hostility intended. I just shoot straight.

Our games only having 2 year life spans prevents things from being fully fleshed out unfortunately, there are useless strings yes, but there are ALWAYS useless moves. That's just a casualty of fighting games.
You are on point with the 2 year lifespan for these games. That is unfortunate because I would love to see them last longer. We as a community could keep them going but that's up to us.

In any case, I can't wait to hear what they did to the MK11 combo system. I have a feeling it will largely resemble the current engine, but add a bit more traditional 2D fighting game mechanics in there.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
This eliminates what makes NRS games unique though. They're essentially 3D fighters on a 2D plain. Link systems are dull, repetitive, allow no room for combo creativity and are boring to look at.
I think the change will not be from dial combos to link combos but from dial to chains (ala MvC). Than would not be "that" bad.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Can someone explain the difference between chains, links, and dial combos? I think I get it, but im not 100 percent sure
Links are combos that dependent on hitstun and frame advantage.
So if a a standing 4 is plus 10 on hit, you can combo with a move that has less then 10 frames of startup.

A chain is generally a series of normals that can be canceled into the next sequence.
So lets say in MVC2, there is set pattern of say you can cancel your light punch into a medium punch, and then cancel that medium punch into a fierce punch. The timing is very lenient with these types of combos.

A dial a combo is a combo string, usually aimed at MK style strings because of the timing required to input them, which makes it feel like you are dialing in the notations and then watching the combo come out, almost like doing a raging demon in street fighter. Some people also used to call KI combos dial a combos because of things like auto doubles and ultras doing a shit ton of attacks with out any button presses.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
Can someone explain the difference between chains, links, and dial combos? I think I get it, but im not 100 percent sure
Links: combos that consist of a bunch of normals that involve precise timing versus hit stun in order to combo.
Crouching jab twice has a specific timing. You have to watch the move on screen watch it connect and then watch recovery before you press the attack again. You mistime and they block. Do it too soon and your second jab won't come out.

Dial Combos: are combos that are part of a string that you can essentially press at any speed without need to hit confirm onto the following hit. You can complete an entire string input before the first hit even lands and then just watch the rest of the attack play out or catch up to you.

Chains: are very similar to dials in the regard that they don't require any precise timing. Usually following a combo flow where light > medium > heavy chain together but you can't combo two light attacks or two medium. They have to ascend Like in blazblue ... BC 236D would be B wait for contact, C contact, 236D
B is medium and C is heavy

At least that's my understanding of their differences.

Edit: an exception to the light>med>heavy chain flow is usually after a launch or during an air combo. Also timing itself becomes much stricter when you're doing air combos in Blazblue.
(no particular character just a made up combo)
let's say 3C launches. 3C you then have to jump cancel the recovery of 3C and make contact with the opponent before he can use air recovery. So say.
3C..jump BB jump CC2D
The timing for the air chains are much more strict because the opponent can tech out of it and air block if you mistime your hitstun window.

Edit 2: the notation I'm using for my example is
4N6
N is the stick at neutral and the number sequence is the directional command for the stick.
So like a SF5 super would be 236236 or quarter circle forward 2x and punches/kicks
I realize I probably made everything far more confusing and I apologize if I did.

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Dial-a-combo isn't going anywhere, relax. At best you'll have:
- Dash cancels, e.g - A-List's 12 Dash Cancel linking into another standing 1

- A counterhit system where normals/strings that normally force autoblock allow you to combo after, e.g - Harley's F13. Or go back to MK9 style but with a CH system added where the last hit of a string doesn't combo, unless it started with a CH

- A lethal-hit system where you can combo off a normal/string in situations you normally wouldn't be able to if you fulfill certain requirements. And the lethal-hit is an X-Ray.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Cannot say I'd be disappointed if NRS evolved their stilted combo system beyond the air-juggle-centric, canned dial-a-combo staple they've gone with since c.MK3.

It's felt increasingly incongruous to produce games with superlative, realistic presentation, but stymied by robotic attack systems, as the games have gotten progressively more mature visually and narrative-wise. Indeed, I think the oft-heard complaint about "Mortal Kombat's animations" has a lot to do with how the combo systems have worked. In the very least, the latter does not help hide the 'stiff' animations (compared to some counterpart games) that some gamers find disconcerting.

So, seeing as they're using UE. there is a better than a snowflake's chance in Netherrealm that NRS might freshen up the game's mechanics. However, given the leaks so far have made little allusion to thus happening -- rather, hinting more at Injustice styled "supers" and SFV style ("crush counter") "krushing blows", than anything relating to the core mechanics of the game changing (something they would surely trumpet from the highest hilltop, were it a reality) -- I'm not expecting it to happen.
I don’t see how changing the attacks to be singular hits like street fighter would solve anything.

Strings allow combos to look more cohesive and not like someone is literally doing the same single punch animation twice then the same kick animation twice.

And I said Street Fighter but even SFV figured this out and gave a lot of the cast strings or links that are effectively strings. If your complaint is the jank, that has nothing to do with the strings and everything to do with the animation department because other fighters with strings look perfectly smooth. Not to mention there are single bit attacks in games like MK9 and I1 that look janky as hell.

Also juggles are a part of every single major modern fighter, that’s just how the genre works now.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Now, this is just an idea... I don't know if it possible, I don't know how the programming and such work like... I just had a thought I would like to share with you, to see if it would be something that would be appealing to you guys!

So, I thought we could kinda meet in the middle here, with how the combo strings work, instead of completely changing how it is in the MK games.

What if each attack in a string needs to be hit-confirmed?
As an example, say we have a combo string being like 1, 2, 3 (just for simplicity sake). If 1 hits, the combo moves on to do the next step of the string which would be 2. And if 2 hits, it will move on to do the last attack of the string, which is 3.

Now, if 1 doesn't hit or is blocked, the animation for the next attack just won't come out! Even if you hit 2, the combo stops. And the same if 1 hits but 2 doesn't hit (for whatever reason), then 3 won't happen.

You can still do the other stuff, like cancel out of a combo with special moves and such, but the string itself needs to be hit-confirmed before it can move on.

Again, I don't know if it is even possible or something you guys think could be a good idea, but it would be a way to avoid getting locked into a combo string animation (which you have already dialled in) if it won't hit.

Could this be considered a reasonable compromise?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I also have inside sources that confirm this. It's true.

They also confirmed to me that it will be back to block instead of a block button.

And that that some of the classic characters in the roster will be replaced by the likes of Ryu and Ken.

And that the game will be renamed to SF5 - MK Edition