What's new

Rumor: M11K to change combo system.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I watched this video when Dink posted it and to me, it's a bit hard to believe. I hope it's not true, but a lot of these leaks are turning out to be totally accurate.

Switching to a Street Fighter style combo system would alienate a lot of the casual players for sure. It won't feel as accessible as previous MK games. What I wouldn't mind is if there was an alternate method to doing combos that required precise (just frame) timing to get damage or meter bonuses.

Switch to full on single normal button linkers like Street Fighter would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. I look forward to all our questions being answered in two days.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Yes, I've seen the talk from other players on this who often have connections, there does seem to be something up.

But, this video is very clickbaity. Big all caps title and then it's about 4 minutes (I watched it a few days ago, so may be slightly off) into a 6 minute video before you even touch on the topic in caps. And even then, barely say anything of value on the matter
I actually spoke about every point in the title. Huge gameplay change, the fact it’s mortal kombat 11, and also the fact it was a rumour. Unlike some mk youtubers my titles will always directly reflect the content on the video. Sorry if you somehow expected something else

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I don't know where some of the information about how Street Fighter plays is coming from but it's kind of off from what I've been reading. There is no requirement to perform difficult links for combos. You can perform them if you know how and if the character you are using benefits from them. Most characters have very easy hit comfirms from jump in attacks such as Ryu or Ken's jumping hard punch to standing hard punch to special attack and into super or EX special if you want.

Timing for these combos is not very strict. In fact, it's brain dead easy. There are many different variations of this and you have way more options for opening up your opponent and you can get more creative since you are not limited to a combo that has been determined for you by an animator.

You can even mix quick strikes with slower strikes that don't combo but are plus on block that leave you safe. You can use these for block pressure to get your opponent to make a mistake and open up. This is very easy to do.

I doubt that MK11 is going to play exactly like Street Fighter but I do hope they borrow from some of its finer points.

Xelz

Go over there!
Ugh, I'm conflicted about a possible change to the combo system. As a "softcore" player, I don't compete in tournaments but I enjoy watching them streamed, and I find MK/Injustice much more thrilling to watch than SF. At the same time, MK can feel stiff to players coming from other fighting games until they get feel for the combo system. Unfortunately, that initial game play feel can turn off some folks before they give MK a fair shake, and I know some people who won't play MK because of that initial impression. If that were improved, then I could play with more people I know, but I also want to watch epic tournaments. So....

A happy middle ground might be a chain system if done properly. Keep the epic looking combos, but make for a smoother game experience. I guess we'll know one way or another in a couple days. Can't wait!

Gamer68

Fujin!
Okay so real quick I want to say again that I doubt it would be exactly like SF.

Chances are if links are in they will make it super easy to do said links by basically adding a huge buffer window.I don't think they are going to add 1-frame or maybe even 5-frame links, that would alienate the casual audience and obviously casuals are HUGE part of NRS games.

I also don't think that having links = no combo strings. SF technically has target combos (which are basically strings), they just don't have many of them -- usually like 2 per character if that. MK11 could still have combo strings but maybe only like 9 per character or something, and those along with an easy link system could create what are more or less "free form combos". Not to mention whatever Krushing Blows are, which could be a special counter hit that allows for a full combo or a guard break, something like that. Assuming that this is the case, and we get combo strings AND link combos AND a mechanic that opens the opponent up for a full combo, we could potentially be getting less overhead/low mix-ups because the game will give you the tools to easily convert into a full combo just off of one hit. My theory is that if they are adding links it's exactly because of this -- a lot of people complained about MKX's mix-ups and kept requesting more MK9-like "footsie" mechanics, and this is what we get. Less mix-ups and in it's place we get more pokes, counter-hits, and/or guard breaks into full combo.

Let me give you an example of what MK11's combo system MIGHT be. This is assuming that Krushing Blows are counter-hits that open for a combo, by the way:

Let's say that Reptile is in the game. His D3 allows him to link into his S1, and S1 has a combo string which is S1, 2, 3 and the final hit does a knock down. He also has S2 which leads into a small S2, 1 combo string that is +2 on block. Reptile does jump-in 1 and follows up with his S2, 1 string which leaves him at +2, which he then does his D3 to counter-poke his opponent that was trying to jab out of his pressure. He converts his D3 into S1, 2, 3 and gets the knock down. His opponent tries to do a wake-up attack, but Reptile stuffs it with a Krushing Blow which leaves the opponent open for a full combo. Reptile is then able to dash-in and basically do whatever he wants, so he using another combo string that launches and he gets a full, klassic NRS juggle combo.

Maybe not the best example, but what I'm saying is that the link system could literally just be an addition to the kombat mechanics, not necessarily a full replacement of the current system that NRS has. These new mechanics could put more of an emphasis on block pressure, pokes, counters, etc, which I personally would be okay with coming from Mortal Kombat X.

I just want a tight mortal kombat, without all the fainting of it ... like mortal kombat x just good gameplay and no kids stuff like custmade etc ... I do not understand why they completely change the game now, mortal kombat 9 and x were the best ever, stick to your good stuff and put some extra into it ... but do not throw your game around ... see other game, they stick to the gameplay and add something to it and every year they become more and more sold ... at MK it has always been, 2 a 3 good games and then 2 lesser ... I have watched MK11 well ... these are short combos every one will be able to perform these in 1 month and then 6 month and 11 is dead or a lot still has to change

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I just want a tight mortal kombat, without all the fainting of it ... like mortal kombat x just good gameplay and no kids stuff like custmade etc ... I do not understand why they completely change the game now, mortal kombat 9 and x were the best ever, stick to your good stuff and put some extra into it ... but do not throw your game around ... see other game, they stick to the gameplay and add something to it and every year they become more and more sold ... at MK it has always been, 2 a 3 good games and then 2 lesser ... I have watched MK11 well ... these are short combos every one will be able to perform these in 1 month and then 6 month and 11 is dead or a lot still has to change
I don't think 15 hit combos from scorpion,12 hit combos from Sub-Zero, and all the other 10+ hit combos are short. We don't need any more 500 hit Cyrax combos thank you.

Crimea

Noob
the longest Kitana's bnbs in mkx were around 15 hits too. It just mkx combos deal more damage, they wasn't longer.
The only one who doesn't have big combos so far is Sonya

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
the longest Kitana's bnbs in mkx were around 15 hits too. It just mkx combos deal more damage, they wasn't longer.
The only one who doesn't have big combos so far is Sonya
Sonic did some nasty stuff with Sonya in the corner. Her counter was up there. Especially in his sets with honeybee.