What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

omooba

fear the moobs
Who do you use and against which variation do you have problems
i think my main is currently d'vorah but i can switch if it's a shitty match up. main problem is shirai ryu but ronnin is a problem to. it's just hard figuring out when it's my turn especially against shirai ryu. after a kunai there's jump buck slip kick, there's d3 there's f1, there's njp. i just need more practice so i can get a feel of what option to get for

hayatei

Noob
question, i've seen hayatei do b2~sword toss on block.....why? isnt that really unsafe?

what are the plus frames off the last and 2nd to last hit of f12 2+4? their different for each hit correct?
because b212+4 whiffs on jumps and and whiffs at max b2 range, so i use it for long range footsies/spacing/whiff punishing and to anti air. on block at max range you are safe and at a spacing to whiff punish with blade call or walk back into f2/f1 (etc)

it's also still a mix up with blade call so even if you are unsafe there's that, up close. also it's not really react-able. there's many uses and possible applications to it! try it out! :)

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
because b212+4 whiffs on jumps and and whiffs at max b2 range, so i use it for long range footsies/spacing/whiff punishing and to anti air. on block at max range you are safe and at a spacing to whiff punish with blade call or walk back into f2/f1 (etc)

it's also still a mix up with blade call so even if you are unsafe there's that, up close. also it's not really react-able. there's many uses and possible applications to it! try it out! :)
whats not reactable? the b2 into blade toss? and how is it a mixup with bladecall?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
whether you call the blade or not is always a mix up.

and its really hard to react to b2 blade drop or fullstring
by blade call you mean the move where you activate the blade instead of just returning it right? sorry im not familiar with the proper names for all of ronins moves.

by blade call you mean the move where you activate the blade instead of just returning it right? sorry im not familiar with the proper names for all of ronins moves.
I think he's talking about b21 and b2 blade drop blade call saying that most people won t react to the blade drop and still block overhead instead of low or go for a punish

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
From what I understand but it seems risky IMO
yea, it is, and imo if your gonna go for it, do the ex one, at least u get a combo. But i guess i get what he's saying, if they know ronin, they might be too scared too move anyways because of a potential ex bladecall, so they'll keep blocking giving you a chance to start your f12 2+4 pressure.

The Ronin guide out there is said to be outdated so any of you guys can tell me what is the frame of these strings: B212+4 blade drop, b3 blade drop, f122+4 first hit second hit quick call(is f12+4 quick call has the same frame?)

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
If nothing has changed about Ronin, meterless blade kall can launch in the air after certain blockstrings.

Other than little consistency reasons, I don't know why people keep suggesting Ex blade kall when regular blade kall can do the same most of the time.

hayatei

Noob
after hours of labbing/grinding non stop since the patch i've come to the conclusion that this variation is takeda's worst one and is around low-mid tier

too many losing match ups, he's only able to play 1 gameplan and if it doesn't work in the match up he straight up slowly loses

quick calls are overnerfed and you are left trying to play a defensive footsies gameplan. his zoning/counterzoning/overall neutral game isn't good enough to win that way at the highest lvl.

this version of ronin is weaker than before takeda got 8238382 buffs post evo 2015.

i think at this point it's smarter for me to just main shirai/lasher or a new character if i want to keep competing

Tweedy

Noob
after hours of labbing/grinding non stop since the patch i've come to the conclusion that this variation is takeda's worst one and is around low-mid tier

too many losing match ups, he's only able to play 1 gameplan and if it doesn't work in the match up he straight up slowly loses

quick calls are overnerfed and you are left trying to play a defensive footsies gameplan. his zoning/counterzoning/overall neutral game isn't good enough to win that way at the highest lvl.

this version of ronin is weaker than before takeda got 8238382 buffs post evo 2015.

i think at this point it's smarter for me to just main shirai/lasher or a new character if i want to keep competing
What do you mean if?

I'm getting out of pools at NEC and we're running it back.

Master of Storms son.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882

Thank you for this insight. Questions...

1) How do you think quick calls are overnerfed? Is it because the defensive footsie game plan does not fit mkx meta?

2) what do you think is the Ronin mu vs all of Quan chi's variation?

hayatei

Noob
Thank you for this insight. Questions...

1) How do you think quick calls are overnerfed? Is it because the defensive footsie game plan does not fit mkx meta?

2) what do you think is the Ronin mu vs all of Quan chi's variation?
it's not that it doesn't fit the meta, it's just not good enough with him, so what gameplan is left with him? you are not rushing down anyone with his current frames. you can bait unexperienced players to death over and over, but it wont work against top level players or people who know the match up.

loses to summoner/sorcerer but even with warlock imo