What's new

Robin General Discussion Thread

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Yeah, I think I'll mb roll to another character. I was so hype for Robin to be in this game. Could they not have given him a regular batarang?

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
His batarang is fine! It's good for setups and conditioning and is unique enough to give him some depth. It's his general frame data that's a problem. At first I thought maybe 13 frames was good. A nice average for the cast when actually its pretty slow. All of his strings have gaps and are slow enough to react to, and he doesn't have any stagger pressure

GS_Zodiac

Faith. But in reality I've been trying to aim for it as early as possible. You can move kinda earlier than you'd think
letting go of the button and doing the input at the peak of their height seems to do a better job for landing it more consistently. It's like walking back delays the startup

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I feel like he needs to rely on strings that cancel safely into trait to threaten a reaction from the opponent, and his full screen birderang confirms when he can get the thing out.

I would love for assassin strike to low profile high hitting projectiles...

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Real talk here, guys.

I honestly don't like Robin trait at all. It's not that I think its weak, but it feels somewhat redundant with his batarang setups. I honestly hate constantly throwing those things out close/far and whichever color. Seems like more stress to me in the thick of things. But perhaps it gives him some depth.

Then again I'm not sure NRS could have come up with a better gimmick. I really hope to get my hands on the nightwing trait and focus on micromanaging that instead

Wasted

Noob
Gear isnt tournament legal.

I dont mind the trait, tbh, but he does need something to give him a fighting chance against the zoners.

I like the idea of the sidestep during batarang startup.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
So let me get this right for pressure b21/b12 blue trait makes the string plus or neutral? What about red/yellow trait. I'm trying to put the trait into my strings to improve but man Robin feels awkward to play. Also regular batarang, is there any use for it during pressure or are we only ending string in it?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
So let me get this right for pressure b21/b12 blue trait makes the string plus or neutral? What about red/yellow trait. I'm trying to put the trait into my strings to improve but man Robin feels awkward to play. Also regular batarang, is there any use for it during pressure or are we only ending string in it?
I think any string cancelled into trait of any color should share the same frame data. The initial cast is slower than the recall though. The best normals into trait I've been able to find are b2 and f2. Not sure about their frames though.

GS_Zodiac

I think any string cancelled into trait of any color should share the same frame data. The initial cast is slower than the recall though. The best normals into trait I've been able to find are b2 and f2. Not sure about their frames though.
B12xxtrait(of any kind) is plus. I only use blue trait because my block string is B21xxblue(plus) d12xxrecall blue(plus) 123(plus 1) 3 to check, back to neutral. If 12 lands I hit confirm into db2mb, b3, j2, b12xxassassin strike.

I don't think red is unsafe, but you can't stagger into it for more pressure. Yellow makes the opponent prepare for a teleport, but is safe. You just won't get pressure from it. Yellow is good for yomi. You back off, let's them cross the line in the metaphorical sand and you pressure with like b2xxtele(safe) and bait for a punish

GS_Zodiac

By the way only the recall for certain colors matters. Setting the trait of any color is plus

GS_Zodiac

b12 xx trait? Are you sure?? I thought I just tested this and Firestorm reversal punished me every time.
How many frames is his reversal? I haven't tested every character and I'd Firestorm a frame data. Maybe it was presumptuous, but I thought I'd tested well enough lol

GS_Zodiac

I do know that the window is tight though. I found timing a standing 1 or crouching 1 with the moment the trait hits the ground to help but it could very well still be punishable

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I've found 212 trait to be the safest. 212 cast seems only slightly negative , like -1/-2
212 call seems to be neutral.
Only tested smoke pellet tho