What's new

Robin General Discussion Thread

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Made this Robin montage today.
I <3 this character and at the moment I can't think of any other character to use in this game.
Ye you guys
<----- see my avatar, but I <3 Robin's playstyle.

I like it. Really shows how much momentum Robin can get. Also I didn't know you could whiff jump attacks into sword spin, that's awesome.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Robin has a vortex. There, I said it.

After strings into Swoop, Robin is +15 (standing) and at a very powerful distance. Almost all of his normals jail from here, and once the opponent gets tired of having their ankles cut, they're going to start blocking. Which makes what happens next look like Dick Greyson is still alive because it's a goddamn circus act. Peep it though.

Ji2 crosses up. Ji3 does not (for completion sake ji1 doesn't cross up either and may actually be preferable). They float long enough to hit OH, as well as threaten a cross up.

For reference, this is the kind of damage I put together but there are a lot of possibilities with or without meter, that lead to set-ups/ oki and catch jump outs. Please play around with it if you haven't already.

Double OH cross ups, too. Blade Spin is -7 (0 if you MB). Ji2 xx Blade Spin/ ji1 xx Blade Spin. HKD is +22 or MB to launch for good damage.

Aw yis.

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
So I've come up with a way to, in theory get pressure off of a reversal db2mb. I haven't gone super in depth testing it yet because I want to know your opinions. Here are some samples. Feel free to build!

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin

After strings into Swoop, Robin is +15 (standing) and at a very powerful distance. Almost all of his normals jail from here, and once the opponent gets tired of having their ankles cut, they're going to start blocking. Which makes what happens next look like Dick Greyson is still alive because it's a goddamn circus act. Peep it though.

Ji2 crosses up. Ji3 does not (for completion sake ji1 doesn't cross up either and may actually be preferable). They float long enough to hit OH, as well as threaten a cross up.

For reference, this is the kind of damage I put together but there are a lot of possibilities with or without meter, that lead to set-ups/ oki and catch jump outs. Please play around with it if you haven't already.

Double OH cross ups, too. Blade Spin is -7 (0 if you MB). Ji2 xx Blade Spin/ ji1 xx Blade Spin. HKD is +22 or MB to launch for good damage.

Aw yis.
I was doing this all day yesterday ending my strings into swoop. My opponents didn't know what to do. I need to find someone good to play against.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
No block string into trait is plus. 212 is -1 or 0 but not plus.

On hit b12 trait might be +14-16 but on block is negative 6-8 ish.
It's probably -8. Firestorm punishes with Molten Charge (8f -1 for reversal cancelling block frames) where as Robin can't punish the same string into trait with Sword Dance (9f -1).

EDIT: I just tested 212 xx trait vs. opponent reversal throw (10f -1). D2 (8f) beats it, Sword Dance (9f) does not. So, 212 xx trait is in fact 0 (neutral) as was mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I wish explosive birdarang didn't fling them half screen, really tough to convert from it sometimes
Do you want some set-ups? I'm combining off of that fairly regularly. I'm pretty sure you just have to dash forward, and you can buffer dashes fairly easily.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"

Aw yis.

Make sure u record yourself as robin and control the AI. Holding back or maybe even crouching could cause the jump in to whiff. This is still good stuff, Imma test it when I get on today.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Make sure u record yourself as robin and control the AI. Holding back or maybe even crouching could cause the jump in to whiff. This is still good stuff, Imma test it when I get on today.
Yeah, in practice if they hold back there's no cross up, they'll walk right out of it. My hope was to jail them with sweep enough that the opponent would crouch block long enough for this to work.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Yeah, in practice if they hold back there's no cross up, they'll walk right out of it. My hope was to jail them with sweep enough that the opponent would crouch block long enough for this to work.

Sadly sweep doesn't jail, I think the frame data is wrong. You can back dash that shit :(

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
What are you guys using red trait for?
Also, corner bnbs? Thx in advance fellas
You can set up some meterless midscreen 50/50's with red trait. Any combo into b3

"... b3, red (close), d3, trait/ f2"

Or where you might normally use a 212 xx bird ender, just use red trait instead. Converts to

"Trait, B21 xx Sword Dance MB, b12 xx Assassin strike" or "trait, f-dash, d12 xx Assassin Strike"

For corner BnB's, this is what I'm going for

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Due to the state of the game and, in no small part, the state of the TYM community, I will no longer be participating in this forum.

I urge the rest of you to continue to show respect and decency to each other, as not everyone else does. Police yourselves because no one else, not mods or admins, has yours, the forums or the games' best interest in mind.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Has the community figured out what kind of character Robin is? Mixup, pressure, whiff punish, all of the above that varies per match up? I'm trying to figure out what kind of style to play and how to play Robin and it's been a struggle the entire time (can't land b3 after db2mb). I want to like him but something hasn't clicked at all with my gameplan plus zoning has me shook everytime I think about it.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Has the community figured out what kind of character Robin is? Mixup, pressure, whiff punish, all of the above that varies per match up? I'm trying to figure out what kind of style to play and how to play Robin and it's been a struggle the entire time (can't land b3 after db2mb). I want to like him but something hasn't clicked at all with my gameplan plus zoning has me shook everytime I think about it.
I tend to get the most damage from whiff punishing and small damage with mixups. If you happen to get a good hit, make sure to set up the high-low mixup with ex birdarang or f2. I'm honestly struggling a bit myself, but that's mostly because I haven't found a great way to put trait to use and have to give up my turn after any string is blocked.

Nate

Mutant Rebel
Due to the state of the game and, in no small part, the state of the TYM community, I will no longer be participating in this forum.

I urge the rest of you to continue to show respect and decency to each other, as not everyone else does. Police yourselves because no one else, not mods or admins, has yours, the forums or the games' best interest in mind.

Shit no! You add such value to this forum man. Ive been working on all the things you post for Robin, it's great stuff. I hope I speak for a lot of lurkers when I ask for you to stick around.