What's new

Video/Tutorial - Tarkatan Reversal Option Select and how it beats up Tarkatan bad

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
and this is why it's 'scrubby'

but lets be honest...if you're not mashing buttons, you're not playing MKXL.

When's Injustice 2??
Using strings/rekkas with gaps is a weakness in offense not game mechanics. It's scrubby to not plan your offense accordingly.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Oh hey look, common sense.. This is common knowledge yet thank god you posted this.. He gets destroyed in certain mus reason because of this..
Jax is the worst probably

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
This used to be possible with normal specials but was patched long ago. You have to let go of block to do the EX move.
Wait, so you input the ex move, hold block, release block during reversal window and then press block again? Or press the move itself? Im so confused lol

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Let me see if I have this right on how to do the OS:

Hold block, let go of block during the reversal window, input the reversal and then hold block again so if they don't leave any gaps I just continue to block instead of trying to reversal?
Maybe I have been doing it incorrectly but it seems to me that you can buffer the directional inputs before letting go of block so you just have to let go of block to input the attack input. An example would be for Shinnok if you were gonna OS with a shoulder you do this:

- Hold block
- Input B then F
- Release block
- Hit 3 + Block
- Hold block from previous step.

Again maybe I'm not perceiving my inputs correctly in which case reverse the 2nd and 3rd step but those steps have been what's got me doing it consistently. Not trying to spread misinformation so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Wait, so you input the ex move, hold block, release block during reversal window and then press block again? Or press the move itself? Im so confused lol
You're doing a meter-enhanced move, which by definition uses the block button to burn the meter -- so you doing the special move immediately after unblocking involves pressing/holding the block button again.

You're doing it while you're in blockstun, so you're technically 'unblocking' to do it, but your character will still appear to be blocking throughout until there's a gap. This is why it's safe.

x TeeJay o

You're doing a meter-enhanced move, which by definition uses the block button to burn the meter -- so you doing the special move immediately after unblocking involves pressing/holding the block button again.

You're doing it while you're in blockstun, so you're technically 'unblocking' to do it, but your character will still appear to be blocking throughout until there's a gap. This is why it's safe.
man i still don't get how to do it lol. So while in blockstun, i input the ex version of rising karma, hold block,input it again but this time release block, and press block again?

man i still don't get how to do it lol. So while in blockstun, i input the ex version of rising karma, hold block,input it again but this time release block, and press block again?
While blocking a string, when you know theres the possibility of a gap (for instance war God OH/low sword special) you quickly do *down back* and for a brief period input 1+BL and continue holding BL. If kotal does OH/low sword youll armor the gap. If he does his safe mid sword youll continue blocking.

x TeeJay o

While blocking a string, when you know theres the possibility of a gap (for instance war God OH/low sword special) you quickly do *down back* and for a brief period input 1+BL and continue holding BL. If kotal does OH/low sword youll armor the gap. If he does his safe mid sword youll continue blocking.
oh!!! lmao WOW! thank you

you too @CrimsonShadow !

appreciate the help

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Oh hey look, common sense.. This is common knowledge yet thank god you posted this.. He gets destroyed in certain mus reason because of this..
Jax is the worst probably
I agree. However I haven't seen this technique used by people fighting Tarkatan for some reason. That is the reason why I made this post and these videos. If what I saw was rekkas being consistently blown up, I'd have not bothered.

This technique also has applications in many MUs and I suggest people to explore them elsewhere. This is just a clear cut example of it being great against Tarkatan with essentially no downsides for most chars.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I agree. However I haven't seen this technique used by people fighting Tarkatan for some reason. That is the reason why I made this post and these videos. If what I saw was rekkas being consistently blown up, I'd have not bothered.

This technique also has applications in many MUs and I suggest people to explore them elsewhere. This is just a clear cut example of it being great against Tarkatan with essentially no downsides for most chars.
Yea even if you try to bait the armor, the rekkas are so negative all fast armors will punish it either way..

x TeeJay o

be sure to check out the newest alien video posted in the thread today guys! It's a follow up on how to deal with certain acidic/tarkatan stuff + punishing Alien

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
Man, if you want honest play, MKX is not the game for you. Try SFV lol. Even that has some dirty shit.

There's no such thing as playing an honest game. I don't even know a fighting game that lacks any dirty shit.

bushido blade :)

EDIT: forgot about that one guy with a gun #RIP

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This doesn't kill any offense with gaps...

They can just bait your armor if you keep doing this
Both examples I posted in my videos, Erron Black f13 and Alien rekka, against many chars no they cannot, because every stagger is automatically punished by the EX move.

Skedar70

Noob
This doesn't kill any offense with gaps...

They can just bait your armor if you keep doing this
Not if the string before the gap is unsafe. For example Kotals b1 is safe so he can bait armor and punish you however he can't bait armor with B14 because it is not safe. So in the examples provided Alien and Erron black it does work because the strings used are not safe.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Both examples I posted in my videos, Erron Black f13 and Alien rekka, against many chars no they cannot, because every stagger is automatically punished by the EX move.
That was directed at the people saying this OS shouldn't be in the game because it ruins all stagger strings. I have 0 MU knowledge against alien lol

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
TYM: MKX HAS NO DEFENSIVE OPTIONS

Dizzy: Here is this really useful defensive option to expose gaps in pressure

TYM: NRS PATCH THIS BROKEN DEFENSIVE OPTION OUT OF THE GAME!!! RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE!!!

Tweedy

Noob
I understand hating option selects. However, I think this one is good for balance. Tarkatan would have too many mind games going on after you already blocked a 50/50.

Remember when Gunshow posted a video about this with Erron Black, when his command grab was super slow? By the time the next game or Kombat Pack 3 comes out, a new thread will be needed. TYM doesn't like to learn and use logic. If they lose on ranked, kill the character.

JesterSMX

Will cartwheel smash work with this?
It depends on Tarkatan's timing. If the gap is small he'll go into his next rekka while you flip over him and you'll whiff. If I'm not mistaken Tarkatan is too negative to bait armor so ex straight kick is probably the most consistent punisher.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
It depends on Tarkatan's timing. If the gap is small he'll go into his next rekka while you flip over him and you'll whiff. If I'm not mistaken Tarkatan is too negative to bait armor so ex straight kick is probably the most consistent way to punish.

Edit: Ex upkick the best punisher. More damage into HKD.
With a very fast punisher like Jin's standing 2, I think it's very practical to read staggers and punish.

EX bf3 will OS any gaps or staggers.

Alien's rekkas are extremely weird. Despite the safety of mediums delays being patched out, slight delays that leave no gaps will knock off a few frames, making the 2nd rekka stagger safe vs some moves that it wouldn't be if you just blitzed with them. This includes EX cartwheel. So basically EX cartwheel is not a great option. I would say just standing 2 on a read, or EX BF3.

Edit: EX upkick meets the same fate as EX cartwheel. Medium delays make rekka 2 safe vs it.

JesterSMX

With a very fast punisher like Jin's standing 2, I think it's very practical to read staggers and punish.

EX bf3 will OS any gaps or staggers.

Alien's rekkas are extremely weird. Despite the safety of mediums delays being patched out, slight delays that leave no gaps will knock off a few frames, making the 2nd rekka stagger safe vs some moves that it wouldn't be if you just blitzed with them. This includes EX cartwheel. So basically EX cartwheel is not a great option. I would say just standing 2 on a read, or EX BF3.

Edit: EX upkick meets the same fate as EX cartwheel. Medium delays make rekka 2 safe vs it.
Yeah I labbed it for a sec and changed my post. Ex upkick isn't 100% reliable and is slow enough for Alien to block. Can't really say bait it because he can make it safe with Shaolin drop.