What's new

Video/Tutorial - Tarkatan Reversal Option Select and how it beats up Tarkatan bad

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Even when the original option selects were still a thing (specials only coming out on hit, poking and blocking at the same time, etc) very few people ever utilized them at a high level of consistency in tournament play. One of the few exceptions was Dizzy as I remember him using option selects with his raiden early in the game's life before they were patched out. No one did any of this stuff against tanyas rekkas when she was still pre patch beast mode tanya. Dragon and sonic were still mopping everyone and using rekkas like crazy. I bet very few people will even end up using this tech (even though they should) and tarkatan will still be mopping people left and right...
that doesn't make Tarkatan any better against a player who learns the MU tho

if you don't learn the match up you deserve to lose to every and any gimmicks the opponent throws at you, regardless of character

Somea2V

Thread Referee
I just find it baffling that people try to justify OS's by saying they're in other games.

Look. If you want to use option selects, use them. They're in the game and haven't been patched out. So huzzah, it's a tool that's there to be used if you want to. But let's cut any idea that they're some noble, honest tactic. Fighting games are built around fundamentals and good reads. And option selects... take that out of the equation. You don't have to take a risk by making this thing called a decision. You don't have to actually engage your brain past "Do I have a special that'll work in that gap? I do! Let's do that!" Nothing wagered, something gained isn't a philosophy that fits in a fighting game.

So use them if you want and don't if you don't want to. But let's at least be honest with ourselves about why we're using them. This game has a questionable lack of defensive options and taking the easy, braindead way is much easier than making repeated reads.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Intradesting.

Doesnt make fighting Takatan that much easier for my character given my armored launcher is 18 frames and unsafe. :v

Also, video games don't give a shit about honor unless there's an actual gameplay mechanic implemented. Soooooo...why do we care about being honorable here? We ain't no damn samurais lol.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Intradesting.

Doesnt make fighting Takatan that much easier for my character given my armored launcher is 18 frames and unsafe. :v

Also, video games don't give a shit about honor unless there's an actual gameplay mechanic implemented. Soooooo...why do we care about being honorable here? We ain't no damn samurais lol.
Personal pride. Some people compete with the intention to keep their performance as "honest" as possible. With me it comes from the mindset that when I lose, I lost. There's no one and nothing else to blame for that and I should've done better. When I win, it's for damn sure because I beat you and not because of a cheap or unskilled tactic. But that's just me. Doesn't affect how you play or whether your tactics are "honorable" or "skilled".

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Someone is helping you beat one of the most ridiculous characters in the game and you are mad because of a tactic that helps you? Lol what is this.. Im just gonna guess if you are mad at this, you have never played agaisnt tarkatan

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Personal pride. Some people compete with the intention to keep their performance as "honest" as possible. With me it comes from the mindset that when I lose, I lost. There's no one and nothing else to blame for that and I should've done better. When I win, it's for damn sure because I beat you and not because of a cheap or unskilled tactic. But that's just me. Doesn't affect how you play or whether your tactics are "honorable" or "skilled".
Man, if you want honest play, MKX is not the game for you. Try SFV lol. Even that has some dirty shit.

There's no such thing as playing an honest game. I don't even know a fighting game that lacks any dirty shit.

GQJ

Noob
Basically what people NEED to understand is this is not a "system mechanic" or glitch or bug.

If the block stun and hit stun (as well as whiff recovery) are different on any given move these option selects will exist.

I personally think a lot of you guys should research the true meaning of these technical terms before commenting. It's nothing that can be patched out, or even changed without a complete overhaul of the frame data.
Where can I find this info?

Also, Could someone explain the difference between keeping option selects and keeping old Tarkatan (aside from the potential difficulty of removing them). In fact, just let all the "broken" stuff rock.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Man, if you want honest play, MKX is not the game for you. Try SFV lol. Even that has some dirty shit.

There's no such thing as playing an honest game. I don't even know a fighting game that lacks any dirty shit.
Oh no, I've come to realize what MKX is. But I think you're misunderstanding me. It isn't about "dirt". Characters will always be different and some will have better, stronger tools than others. An option select literally takes a choice for a read out of the equation. If I'm going to armor a gap, it's because I intended to. If I'm going to block, same thing. That's a dice I roll and the sensation and affirmation of my skill that I get for choosing correctly is part of how I compete in these things. Hard-to-blockables, safe 50/50s, jailing, etc all still require execution and set up and intention. Those may be dirty but you still choose to do them. And option select is just tricking the game into doing what is best regardless of what you thought or foresaw would actually happen.

And ultimately, it doesn't matter. I've always been a proponent of using the tools the game gives you. Where I draw the line may be different from you, but I'm not one of those people who uses it as an excuse. Honestly, my only intention earlier was just pointing out this is "dirty". Not if it's fair of should/shouldn't be used, just that people need to call it what it is.

GQJ

Noob
I don't understand why this is being looked down on. This is no different than armoring a gap in a string. How is this a cheap or scrubby tactic?
I thought the point of rekkas was to stay safe for the OH/L mixup and risk armor, or stay safe from armor and risk punishment from the blocked mixup. The OS seems to defeat the purpose of the meta game of the rekkas.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I thought the point of rekkas was to stay safe for the OH/L mixup and risk armor, or stay safe from armor and risk punishment from the blocked mixup. The OS seems to defeat the purpose of the meta game of the rekkas.
They nerfed it severely in the last patch. I'm not debating whether or not the nerf is justified... Just this is the way things are for at least right now.

Edit: Meaning my understanding is it's unsafe regardless of timing.

Reactions: GQJ

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
This is not dishonest, there is no cheat code here and you won't be banned or kicked out of a tournament for this.

@GGA Dizzy posts an informative video so people who struggle against Tarkatan can now practice a means of escaping Rekka Pressure.

People spend time arguing about whether or not OS should be in the game or ethical.

Those occasional posts about players holding on to Tech privately in chats or discords instead of sharing it. I'D venture to guess this is one of the reasons.

In any case thank you @GGA Dizzy I'll be making a note to practice this.

E

Eldriken

Let me see if I have this right on how to do the OS:

Hold block, let go of block during the reversal window, input the reversal and then hold block again so if they don't leave any gaps I just continue to block instead of trying to reversal?

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Let me see if I have this right on how to do the OS:

Hold block, let go of block during the reversal window, input the reversal and then hold block again so if they don't leave any gaps I just continue to block instead of trying to reversal?
You don't need to let go of block. Just do the move during the gap while holding block. If there's a gap move comes out. If there's not you continue to block.

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
You don't need to let go of block. Just do the move during the gap while holding block. If there's a gap move comes out. If there's not you continue to block.
and this is why it's 'scrubby'

but lets be honest...if you're not mashing buttons, you're not playing MKXL.

When's Injustice 2??

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
This used to be possible with normal specials but was patched long ago. You have to let go of block to do the EX move.