What's new

Video/Tutorial - Tarkatan Reversal Option Select and how it beats up Tarkatan bad

Tweedy

Noob
ugh, its just, i hate how this kind of thing can completely invalidate certain characters offence, i don't play tarkattan, its just that....what is a tarkattan player supposed to do now with this tech?
Jump 1 and standing 2 make the variation worth using. Also, armor that's slower than 15 frames will not blow up his rekkas if staggered, so in a lot of match ups you can bait.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
honestly i don't like doing this option select garbage, why even have rekka's if this is a thing? lol, nrs needs to patch that OS shit out *completely*.

other than that tho, great vid, definitely helpful for beating the character, but i don't think ill be using this kind of tech :(
Rekkas in MKX seem to be designed to allow people to do so much dumb shit on negative frames.

OSing armour has to stay. Rekkas aren't really designed to be used on block anyway IMO.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
This is in every 2D fighting game that has reversals and absolute guard. For sure in KI, SF4/SFV, KOF13, etc. If the opponent does a true block string, reversal won't come out. If you don't do true block string, reversal does come out. In SF4 people accidentally did this by playing Zangief and churning the butter during block strings, any blockstring that wasn't a true blockstring SPD would come out and punish the opponent.

The only difference is in MKX game it's harder as you need to have an idea of what the blockstring the opponent is doing and can't mash it out.

Also, this was not in MK9 due to no reversals window.
No, it's not in every game in the same way it is in MKX, and in fact the only reason why it exists in MKX is because block doubles as the meter burn button. Fix that and this "blocking and attacking at the same time" garbage goes away.

IMO the best way to remove meter drain glitch would have been to force unblock and *also* drain your meter, so you'd actually get hit out of your attack attempt instead of just standing there blocking while your meter drains.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
No, it's not in every game in the same way it is in MKX, and in fact the only reason why it exists in MKX is because block doubles as the meter burn button. Fix that and this "blocking and attacking at the same time" garbage goes away.

IMO the best way to remove meter drain glitch would have been to force unblock and *also* drain your meter, so you'd actually get hit out of your attack attempt instead of just standing there blocking while your meter drains.
Nah, you are wrong and Dizzy is right.

The inputs and aesthetics may be different but effectively it's the same thing as Zangief mashing SPDs during block strings in SF4.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
In fact option selects are much better in SF as you can OS with a fucking normal

In this game if you try and armour and it jails it won't come out

Edit: it works the same in SFV but instead you can OS out with a normal

Let me even upload a video to prove it, MKX does a lot of scrubby things other fighters don't do, but I'm sorry this is not one of them

Last edited:

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
Good stuff. This was my go-to when facing Tanya before she got nerfed. It does apply to all characters in the game though. I just know it was extremely useful against her. Good job putting the videos together and helping out the community.

IrishMantis

Breathing hitboxes; stance specific, gender specific, corner specific, stage specific, costume specific combos, these are what I know. Can you tell me more?
I Dont get what you're implying here?
Are you implying MKX has little issues or MKX has lots more?cause neither of these Is what I'm implying

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
In fact option selects are much better in SF as you can OS with a fucking normal

In this game if you try and armour and it jails it won't come out

In SFV if if the opponent does a franetrap and that is faster than the move you are doing it will not come out

Because of SF auto proximity block

Let me even upload a video to prove it, MKX does a lot of scrubby things other fighters don't do, but I'm sorry this is not one of them
Why are you comparing a dedicated block button to proximity guard. Option selecting in back to block games is by design. When you have a block button, the whole point is to add an element of control to when you can block and when you can attack. The meter burn option select defeats the purpose of it completely.

IrishMantis

Why are you comparing a dedicated block button to proximity guard. Option selecting in back to block games is by design. When you have a block button, the whole point is to add an element of control to when you can block and when you can attack. The meter burn option select defeats the purpose of it completely.
If you look at from the whole perspective it's the same case
In SFV as the Proximity gaurd struggles tell if you blocking or pressing an attack it goes for what option makes sense for that scenario

In MKX because the game is struggling to tell if if you pressed block or Ex it goes for the best option like SF

Honestly I would prefer it gone from all FGs I'm not defending the idea of it at all and agree it is dirty but the point in trying to make its not just an MKX thing

If MK9 had a reversal function which it should of had it would be the same story I doubt they are intentional from any game

IrishMantis

here is evidence it exist in SF too with normals

This is prob not even the best example but it will do

I set the AI to randomly do light stomp or heavy stomp.
Just look at my inputs at the left side of the screen you see if I press the jab during light instead of my light coming out it jails do I don't get hit for pressing a button but if he goes for heavy stomp I interrupt
(For the record it trades with M. stomp)

And yes you can get much than just a jab I used jab with other chars because it's easiest for me to execute close to consistently

Last edited:

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I deleted my comment because I realize it is quite offensive.
I'm a kind of person who usually likes to abuse gimmicks/dirty techs, and I find punishing lazy people who don't spend time to learn matchups brings me joy.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
If you look at from the whole perspective it's the same case
In SFV as the Proximity gaurd struggles tell if you blocking or pressing an attack it goes for what option makes sense for that scenario

In MKX because the game is struggling to tell if if you pressed block or Ex it goes for the best option like SF

Honestly I would prefer it gone from all FGs I'm not defending the idea of it at all and agree it is dirty but the point in trying to make its not just an MKX thing

If MK9 had a reversal function which it should of had it would be the same story I doubt they are intentional from any game
MK9 did have a reversal concept, but it never actually did anything. This entire scenario existed in MK9 as the meter drain glitch, which people hated because when you mashed, you sat there blocking while a bar of meter (or more if you mashed xray lol) would disappear. However, the solution to meter drain glitch *should have been* that, because you were attempting to attack, you exit blocking state and get hit by whatever attack is coming toward you.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I deleted my comment because I realize it is quite offensive.
I'm a kind of person who usually likes to abuse gimmicks/dirty techs, and I find punishing lazy people who don't spend time to learn matchups brings me joy.
Right but this makes it easier to not know the matchup. Why learn frame data when I can mash my safe armored launcher?

cr. mp ~ lk. stomp is a true blockstring. No "auto proximity block" involved.
In SFV if if the opponent does a franetrap and that is faster than the move you are doing it will not come out
Incorrect. What, I believe, you meant is true blockstrings work differently in SFV - you're stuck in blockstun regardless of what buttons you press, if you block the first hit (excluding V-reversals).
OS reversals against non-true blockstrings are completely fine to me as long as there are no safe reversals (armors if you talk MKX) that lead to significant reward.

IrishMantis

cr. mp ~ lk. stomp is a true blockstring. No "auto proximity block" involved.

Incorrect. What, I believe, you meant is true blockstrings work differently in SFV - you're stuck in blockstun regardless of what buttons you press, if you block the first hit (excluding V-reversals).
OS reversals against non-true blockstrings are completely fine to me as long as there are no safe reversals (armors if you talk MKX) that lead to significant reward.
i guess that's what I meant to say

But with Necali I'm getting close to 400 dmg of a counter jab with Super and close to 300 with V trig special
So I am hitting him hard enough
But my point is they exist in other fighting games i am not saying I agree or support it I am just proving they exist

So essentially it works the same as MKX rather than proximity block

Last edited:

Matix218

Get over here!
Even when the original option selects were still a thing (specials only coming out on hit, poking and blocking at the same time, etc) very few people ever utilized them at a high level of consistency in tournament play. One of the few exceptions was Dizzy as I remember him using option selects with his raiden early in the game's life before they were patched out. No one did any of this stuff against tanyas rekkas when she was still pre patch beast mode tanya. Dragon and sonic were still mopping everyone and using rekkas like crazy. I bet very few people will even end up using this tech (even though they should) and tarkatan will still be mopping people left and right...

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Basically what people NEED to understand is this is not a "system mechanic" or glitch or bug.

If the block stun and hit stun (as well as whiff recovery) are different on any given move these option selects will exist.

I personally think a lot of you guys should research the true meaning of these technical terms before commenting. It's nothing that can be patched out, or even changed without a complete overhaul of the frame data.