What's new

Restricting Combos is the Biggest Fail

Peter Quill

You’re No Fun
I don’t get why people are getting so upset at you for this, it’s a pretty big concern of mine too.

I think we’ll have to see for ourselves how it plays but I’m just staying cautiously optimistic at this point.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I said I was fine with them removing the run button, I dont mind playing footsies but when I open someone up I'd like to have the chance to perform flashy combos that I've spent hours practicing. That was the biggest draw to me to MK. I'd also rather have someone juggle me with their combos rather than them just put LT and RT for a cinematic.
So what makes you think your not going to do that here.

You have brand new mechanics and it's mk so it'll be somewhat familiar. Once the beta comes out play the damn game and make a better informed judgement because it looks like you can still do flashy combo's. You might just have to work for it.

And who wants to be juggled? Like... Wow.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Was watching K&M’s breakdown on Krishing Blows and hey literally said that Baraka has low combo potential without using a certain krushing Blow.

It’s not a dumbass concern. I was already feeling the combo potentials dropping off in Injustice 2. There’s no reason to be so rude
It's silly because it's concerned with something that ultimately doesn't matter. It's about high level gameplay and characters being unique. Sometimes that means a lack of high combo potential. It's just petty to give a shit about this.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
I cant really understand why some of you people get 'hype' over seeing someone pull off a combo. Its just a matter of fucking muscle memory, nothing else. A monkey can learn this stuff.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
I cant really understand why some of you people get 'hype' over seeing someone pull off a combo. Its just a matter of fucking muscle memory, nothing else. A monkey can learn this stuff.
Doing a tight hit-confirm or performing very situational combos(like wall combos) are actually pretty hype even if they're like 4-5 hits max. 30 hit bnbs like a vs game or anime are resisdent sleeper.

E

Eldriken

Literally no one is crying about it, just stating they’re concerned.
It was a generalized statement. It's not simply directed at people here. Folks all over the Net are like "mah combos" over something they haven't played and have seen day 1 footage of.

We don't need 15+ hit combos for a game to be good or fun.

People griping about this remind me of the scrubby players that bitch at someone for "not doing combos" even though they're winning. Combos don't win games, good fundamentals, neutral, footsies, etc win them.

Chernyy Volk

It was a generalized statement. It's not simply directed at people here. Folks all over the Net are like "mah combos" over something they haven't played and have seen day 1 footage of.

We don't need 15+ hit combos for a game to be good or fun.

People griping about this remind me of the scrubby players that bitch at someone for "not doing combos" even though they're winning. Combos don't win games, good fundamentals, neutral, footsies, etc win them.
Also combos being harder to obtain in MK11 makes them more hype.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
A real shame games won’t be relegated to doing coin flip 50/50s that lead to 5 minute long loops of the same strings over and over anymore.

Now you have to actually play the neutral game and know how to properly convert and fish for your launchers instead of having 5 overhead and/or low strings that send people into orbit to be juggled for far too long.

I mean, I get why the idea of it is so appealing, I made some Goro combo videos back with X was still hot, but it just wasn’t healthy for the game.

ErmacMKX

Noob
People need to stop crying over something they haven't had their hands on yet. We don't even know the full extent of how the game is gonna play.
I get this but it's not like I'm assuming, Ed Boon has even said that they reduced combo potential. That along with basically those who have played it saying the same thing allows us to voice our concern.

A real shame games won’t be relegated to doing coin flip 50/50s that lead to 5 minute long loops of the same strings over and over anymore.

Now you have to actually play the neutral game and know how to properly convert and fish for your launchers instead of having 5 overhead and/or low strings that send people into orbit to be juggled for far too long.

I mean, I get why the idea of it is so appealing, I made some Goro combo videos back with X was still hot, but it just wasn’t healthy for the game.
I don't care for the 50/50, them taking it out means nothing to me. Just the basic BnB seems pretty underwhelming, but we still have more reveals so I can only be optimistic at this point.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
without combo breakers, was the best choose .... now combats gonna last a bit longer, and who is losing the match , has some minor change to try to come back and overcome

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
Seems like most characters so far are quite capable of getting about 25-30% either meterless or for a single bar, and that's even without any real optimization or intricate knowledge of KBs, I guess I'm not really seeing the issue here? Combos are shorter now but they're still a thing and they still hurt, and are only gonna get bigger as the game actually comes out.

hot take: most mkx combos look dumb anyways

E

Eldriken

I get this but it's not like I'm assuming, Ed Boon has even said that they reduced combo potential. That along with basically those who have played it saying the same thing allows us to voice our concern.

I don't care for the 50/50, them taking it out means nothing to me. Just the basic BnB seems pretty underwhelming, but we still have more reveals so I can only be optimistic at this point.
Yes, but as Ketchup and Mustard showed us, there are still decent combos in the game. Scorpion was getting some decent ones in during their gameplay.

I know no one's assuming, but we still do not know hardly anything about the game. No tech has been discovered, no combos have been fully fleshed out, etc.

After the tech and lab monsters get a hold of the game, we'll see what the potential is.

NRS really seems to be pushing this in a competitive direction and it seems their decisions behind it will work just fine.

Also, like someone else said: with Breakers being removed, it only makes sense to shorten combos.

Damage doesn't seem to be an issue because Krushing Blows pack a fucking wallop and can sometimes lead to a combo.

Imagine getting a 14% uppercut changed to 25% due to a Krushing Blow and being able to combo off of it. Sure, it may not be 15+ hits, but you still get the damage.

Yeah they said that they want more damage to be done with shorter combos, but I think people will eventually find some sweet combos. The thing that will make people the saltiest is the krushing blow throws. I saw on stream you get a KB throw if your opponent techs the wrong way... and some of these throws did over 30% damage PLUS damage over time afterward. I know they want damage to be done with fewer hits but dayum!

Chernyy Volk

Yes, but as Ketchup and Mustard showed us, there are still decent combos in the game. Scorpion was getting some decent ones in during their gameplay.

I know no one's assuming, but we still do not know hardly anything about the game. No tech has been discovered, no combos have been fully fleshed out, etc.

After the tech and lab monsters get a hold of the game, we'll see what the potential is.

NRS really seems to be pushing this in a competitive direction and it seems their decisions behind it will work just fine.

Also, like someone else said: with Breakers being removed, it only makes sense to shorten combos.

Damage doesn't seem to be an issue because Krushing Blows pack a fucking wallop and can sometimes lead to a combo.

Imagine getting a 14% uppercut changed to 25% due to a Krushing Blow and being able to combo off of it. Sure, it may not be 15+ hits, but you still get the damage.
TBF Breakers do exist. I dunno where this information is coming from. It's just in the form of an armored Injustice 2 style air escape now.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Seems like most characters so far are quite capable of getting about 25-30% either meterless or for a single bar, and that's even without any real optimization or intricate knowledge of KBs, I guess I'm not really seeing the issue here? Combos are shorter now but they're still a thing and they still hurt, and are only gonna get bigger as the game actually comes out.

hot take: most mkx combos look dumb anyways
Your hot take is right.

Technically you could get some cool looking combos in MKX, but 99.9% of optimal combos, the ones you’ll actually be doing, look stupid and goofy.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
TBF Breakers do exist. I dunno where this information is coming from. It's just in the form of an armored Injustice 2 style air escape now.
That isn’t a breaker though, people who have touched the game have confirmed that there are ways to even bait and counter that move so it isn’t a get out of jail free card like breakers were.

Chernyy Volk

That isn’t a breaker though, people who have touched the game have confirmed that there are ways to even bait and counter that move so it isn’t a get out of jail free card like breakers were.
Yeah, I like this new air escape better. In Injustice 2, bating these was sort of hard, and for some characters they had to accept shitty scaling as their reward for blowing it up. I think air escapes getting read in MK11 will result in you losing your life.

E

Eldriken

That's not a breaker. For all we know, you can bait an air escape to punish it.