What's new

Restricting Combos is the Biggest Fail

ErmacMKX

Noob
I'll be honest not a fan of a lot of the new mechanics (fatal blows will get very tiresome after the novelty is gone), but I have no problem adjusting to it. Though I like more pressure, I'm okay with the removal of the run button and I do agree the 50/50s were a little ridiculous, however to limit the combos is what really disappointed me. The reason I loved MK was being able to spend hours practicing these and performing them online. It's also the best thing to watch in tournament play, so I have no clue why they would do this. I hope I'm wrong and that there still a lot of flashy combos but the fact many people have already said they couldn't find many in the time that they had (without the use of the crushing blow) is disheartening.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I think this is kind of a fringe reaction honestly. I love the swag of long combos as much as the next guy, but from what I watched the combos don't really look that bad. They may be a bit shorter than normal but it really doesn't look that different from what we're already used to. I mean yeah some old characters could rack up the hits but they also had multi-hit strings or specials. Those attacks are still prevalent. The comboing should be fine.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
look at all the crying for those wanting mkx sprint>eat my mixup> let me refill my bar> eat my chip> watch me perform 30 hits stupid combo

if u wanna be flashy and do all those sort of things maybe u should play dragonballz or kof.

mk is going back to its roots with some new mechanics

now you gotta play some footsies and actually think a bit how to open up your opponent

nothing against you buddy its just this topic is all over reddit fot the past two days which makes me sick

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
One of the things I thought was fun about MKX was to try and make long combos. They look stylish, but they never did a lot of damage (at least the ones I did), so it'll be cool to see how combos will do in this game. I don't mind them being shorter, as long you can make something cool!

ErmacMKX

Noob
look at all the crying for those wanting mkx sprint>eat my mixup> let me refill my bar> eat my chip> watch me perform 30 hits stupid combo

if u wanna be flashy and do all those sort of things maybe u should play dragonballz or kof.

mk is going back to its roots with some new mechanics

now you gotta play some footsies and actually think a bit how to open up your opponent

nothing against you buddy its just this topic is all over reddit fot the past two days which makes me sick
I said I was fine with them removing the run button, I dont mind playing footsies but when I open someone up I'd like to have the chance to perform flashy combos that I've spent hours practicing. That was the biggest draw to me to MK. I'd also rather have someone juggle me with their combos rather than them just put LT and RT for a cinematic.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
I said I was fine with them removing the run button, I dont mind playing footsies but when I open someone up I'd like to have the chance to perform flashy combos that I've spent hours practicing. That was the biggest draw to me to MK. I'd also rather have someone juggle me with their combos rather than them just put LT and RT for a cinematic.
well, mk11 does have combos, how about we wait and see?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I think...that a stamina-only Mortal Kombat, that plays like Street Fighter with a block button and an M Rating, could potentially hijack the whole FGC right now.

SFV is always tops, but it's pretty much by default and the game is old busted hotness.
Between the other major games out, Smash arguably has the most fire going right now, but it's Smash. We know how that goes. Different world.
Marvel is dead. The other games ala SC6 or Tekken or the animes, they don't have as big an audience or as approachable/appealing an aesthetic as MK does.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the biggest problem most people have had with the titles over the years been that it doesn't play like a "true" fighter? Because the meta in this game is like all the best parts of other fighers replacing the worst parts of old NRS titles:

-Krushing Blows and Flawless Blocks as a take on KI Combo Breakers
-Fatal Blow as a take on the Anime BURST
-The end of Breakers/Pushblocking and having to fear insane meter building from chip damage
-ARMOR IS ALL BUT DEAD GOD BLESS AMERICA
-Footsies and ranged trading that reminds me of Street Fighter X Tekken when It was real really good

This game is built like a real fighter. Like the final evolution of an ultraviolent Pokémon. And there's an entire mass of players out there with no main game to hang their hat on worth going out to fight in. So the proposition of a real S+ Tier and almost bullshit-free Mortal Kombat is going to draw a fucking DELUGE of players that have either written NRS off and can't resist the call, or players from other titles with no taste for SF or the like.
And if the game is good the whole way through the year, and that momentum lasts? Bruh. Imagine the size of a base you could have by NEC.

Tl;dr: i predict this could, and will, be the game that permanently earns NRS the respect of the rest of the FGC. And it will be in part because they turned down the ridiculous, learned from their peers, and pushed the envelope with the combo system.

I am excited. I think this is the best the franchise has ever looked or played. And I'm still stunned that Final Form Skarlet and MK Deception General Of Outworld's Army Baraka are back and were the launchpad.
The Beta cannot get here fast enough.
Dilly Dilly.

Last edited:

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
I think...that a stamina-only Mortal Kombat, that plays like Street Fighter with a block button and an M Rating, could potentially hijack the whole FGC right now.
I thought this last night when I was watching Punk play INJ2, if this game actually delivers on the promise it seems to be making, a lot of Capcom players who are unhappy with SFV/MvCI might have somewhere else to go.

Lol what if this game brings Mike Ross back?

portent

Noob
Why don't we wait until we see what kind of combos players come up with before we actually say that the combos were shortened? Maybe less hits, but I'm sure we're going to see similarly damaging combos.

Anyway, if you don't like, there's this little game called MKX that you're welcome to go back to.

ErmacMKX

Noob
We know you mkx scubs want to do easy 35% with no meter and no execution but no more. MK11 is the greatest fighter of all time.
I'm a scrub because I like long intricate combos, great logic dumbass. The crushing and fatal blows are probably the only way you'll get big damage.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
I'm a scrub because I like long intricate combos, great logic dumbass. The crushing and fatal blows are probably the only way you'll get big damage.
That's just it, crushing blows will make long combos hype because you will only have one of each during a match. That means that converting them or holding them for later with the release check will take combos to another level. The meta will revolve around crushing blows

ErmacMKX

Noob
That's just it, crushing blows will make long combos hype because you will only have one of each during a match. That means that converting them or holding them for later with the release check will take combos to another level. The meta will revolve around crushing blows
If longer combos are only viable when performing a crushing blow I'll still be disappointed since it can only be performed once, but there's still a lot more to see so I can only wait. Hopefully I'm wrong and we see better combos as time passes.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
To be honest with you, I have faith that this community will find ways to create crazy swaggy combos.
So yes Im a bit annoyed they said no more long combos but before I let that statement really effect me, I'll wait and see what ppl will come up with.
(as long as Ermac is back, idc about the gameplay that much because I trust them and the community to really shape it into something sick lol)