What's new

Resident Evil Series going back to Classic Survival Horror

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I didn't think it was that easy on hard, though that might just be me, but I definitely think it had it's moments of suspense. Sure it wasn't absolutely terrifying, but I think it was pretty effective considering what it was (a zombie game).

I didn't really find the Silent Hill games I played very hard either (1 and 2) but difficulty isn't what makes a survival horror game scary anyway. A creepy atmosphere and building suspense are more important than challenging boss fights.

How is Silent Hill 3 by the way, I was thinking about giving that one a shot?

Hard is artificially ramping up the difficulty though. You're purposely giving yourself less resources just so it can be the Survival-Horror it's supposed to be. You might as well go through the game and pick up only half the things you find in that case. RE itself, in this case, isn't providing the Survival-Horror, you are.

Agreed.

It's OK but don't play it before playing 1 as it's a direct sequel. 2 is still the best and is pretty much a stand alone.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Whatever bro's. I am just going to go back to the fighting game forums where I know what I'm talking about.

Lulzlou

Noob
You need to look at the recent games as a totally new series.

Its how I look at Far Cry. The Predator mode in the original far cry was amazing with all the custom maps. Far Cry 2 and 3 didn't have that game mode which killed it for me. The only reason I played far cry was for making maps and having a shit load of people play on them in Pred mode. I had to look at Far Cry 2/3 now as a new game.

RE2, REmake, and RE4 were by far the best games in the series.

Dead Space, Amnesia, and Penumbra are pretty good series that came out this gen.

Goldi

Noob
there is another survival horror that's getting re released for the ps3 called deadly premonition check it out if you a fan of true survial horror.
I tried and tried and just couldn't force myself into that game.. It felt too much like an RPG or something. Which sucks, because it was so weird and creepy.. I really wanted to like it. :(

Speaking of 360 horror, I bought a kinnect for Rise of Nightmares forever ago and still haven't touched either. Seems like something that needs to be filmed if I ever try to play it lol

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I tried and tried and just couldn't force myself into that game.. It felt too much like an RPG or something. Which sucks, because it was so weird and creepy.. I really wanted to like it. :(

Speaking of 360 horror, I bought a kinnect for Rise of Nightmares forever ago and still haven't touched either. Seems like something that needs to be filmed if I ever try to play it lol
I felt the same, something was just holding me back from liking that game.

Please do because it is aaaawwwwfuuuuuullllll.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Man, Amnesia is where it was at, and the new one? Should be pretty amazing with the writers they brought on...

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I've played 1 2 3 and code veronica probably at least 5 times each. I can't wait to see some progress on the new game. Until then I will remain a bit skeptical.

KRYS9984

Noob
I enjoyed playing Resident Evil 6 but at times I felt like the game was playing me instead of me playing the game (if that makes any sense).

There were way too many cut scenes and during some of those scenes where the protagonists were actually battling the enemy, I watched and thought "Why can't I be the one actually involved in this interaction, I wanna kill this motherf****r myself"! At times it also felt like a rail shooter; just follow the path and you're good to go, leave any challenge at the door because it's not needed here.

What I liked about the older games was the exploring / puzzles; I like combing an area from A to Z before progressing and putting some thought in certain situations, not just running and gunning. Limited ammo and less over-powered melee attacks are other key factor in creating a stressful environment; use what you got and use it wisely.

Capcom, don't do me wrong.

There's a sequence in Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) that's more Survival-Horror than anything RE has ever done.
Nope, not the entire series, Resident evil outbreak was by far the best SH games in RE series, and did SH best. also I hate when people reference Jump scares, or atmosphere as the sole attributes that make a "survival Horror" title. Survival Horror are not about the pop out stuff(RE1 famous dog jumping out the window), but about the 'actual' fear of the situation itself. Of not wanting to die, of not wanting your friends to die, of being in a horrible situation with little to no ammo/weapons, low life, and swarm of monsters. Thats fear to me, and only the Resident evil series captured that perfectly with Outbreak titles. Other games can give you all the Jump moments they want, but, honestly those are fleeting and are really effective during first playthroughts to have any effect just like your example imo.

Alot of generic so called SH games are single player so they're predictable after a run or so. You know everything to do, to go, and can prepare properly even in the old school RE games too. RE Outbreak was a different take, because no matter how prepared you are, or how well you knew a level, all it takes is someone new to the game or just in general for someone to get screwed up that forces you to waste time, health, and ammo to try and save them and potentially get your own ass screwed up, and when you died you died, there was no ocming back the scenario was over for you. That type of unpredictably is what makes a world of difference with the best RE games in series compared to other SH games, the fear of the actually "situation" is actually never lost beacuse they dont depend solely on aesthetics, or gimmicks to insight fear. Why you think REO name himself after that game!

btw re6,re4,re5 all garabge

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

Forgot outbreak but I still stick by what I said. Fahrenheit isn't a SH game, it was simply a moment of SH in a game that's just a complete mindfuck.

That's other people creating situations, not the game itself. I don't know if I would count that but it's fine if you do.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is another really good survival horror game. It's an FPS/RPG but it contains a lot of elements of survival horror. Highly recommended. The other two games in the series (Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat) kind of stray away from the survival horror aspect, but are still great games nonetheless.

9_Lives

Noob
That's good news! I felt like a racist when I played RE5. Just killed a bunch of angry black people. And then Left 4 Dead got in trouble for having black zombies. What sense does that make?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Survival Horror are not about the pop out stuff(RE1 famous dog jumping out the window), but about the 'actual' fear of the situation itself. Of not wanting to die, of not wanting your friends to die, of being in a horrible situation with little to no ammo/weapons, low life, and swarm of monsters.
And this is exactly why Silent Hill was the shining example of what survival horror really is.

I've played 1 2 3 and code veronica probably at least 5 times each. I can't wait to see some progress on the new game. Until then I will remain a bit skeptical.
Man, Code Veronica was an awesome game.. That will always be one of my favorite RE's.

The thing I miss the most is the fact you had to re-visit rooms/areas over and over to find new items, unlock doors, figure out puzzles, get key items, or collect items that you missed/left there because your inventory was full. I also loved the fact enemies DID NOT drop items.

Outbreak imo is how future RE games should be multiplayer wise

Goldi

Noob
Clock tower! :D

Chase me, chase me! And the only thing I can do about it, is HIDE! Lol, those were like scary... Then annoying. Then you get a new boss and it's scary again for awhile lol.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
Clock tower! :D

Chase me, chase me! And the only thing I can do about it, is HIDE! Lol, those were like scary... Then annoying. Then you get a new boss and it's scary again for awhile lol.
Those games absolutly terrified me. My heart would always race just for playing it!