What's new

Resident Evil Series going back to Classic Survival Horror

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Of course he isn't the original Dante. He hasn't been fighting demons for half his life, yet. The boss battles where more cinematic than hard, but I'm ok with that. If you went out and bought DMC over renting it, that was a mistake. Dmc has never in the history of the game been worth buying.
Half his life? I believe there is only a 9 year age difference between DmC Dante and DMC 2 Dante. He is his oldest in DMC 2 storyline. Anyway, yea I didn't buy it lol $60 for a 6 hour game..GTFO Capcom. I was lucky enough to borrow it from a friend.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
For me, the first RES was ground breaking, so different, and simple. Scared the shit out of me, but, probably because I was a child, and played it in the dark.

well thats another problem I have, jake has supernatural abilities so how are they going to make a survival horror with a protagonist like that?
this is a great point, this is how most people defend the "Action direction" the ones who like that direction.

They say "well after years of fighting BOWs they should be experts at killing them."

So that's why they "must throw enemies at them."

Well why can't we just make encounters more deadly like. 2 bites you're dead. And the Zombies take like 25 bullets before going down, and they barely react to the bullet fires while closing distance.

And with narrow hallways, and often indoors, you can force people who want to conserve ammo to have to Kite/ignore zombies that can kill them in 1-3 hits.

ominous atmosphere, each mob is a huge threat to your survival, being forced to deal with monsters in a unsafe manner to give that feeling of dread.

the reason Resident evil 1 got me when i was younger was the following reasons.

1.) Low ammo forces close encounters and a sense of urgency to get/explore before a zombie gets to you.
2.) Low life, high zombie damage makes you more weary of taking damage.
3.) Uknown factor, if you're not being flooded with enemies and you know some sort of danger lies ahead cuz you hear noises or something.

Perfect example. In RE1 Remake, there is a hallway part, where the moon shines into the hallway through the window. you see a shadow casted of a zombie leaning against the window banging on the window. Knowing the only direction to go, is the hallway in which that shadow lies.

Things like this force you to encounter something you don't want to encounter.

4.) limited mobility (Hallways) combined with slow enemies that seemingly aren't affected by your guns, can give a feeling of dread.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
well thats another problem I have, jake has supernatural abilities so how are they going to make a survival horror with a protagonist like that?
have the series branch off in 2 directions, 1 series would be the more action oriented games and the other would be survival horror, there problem solved.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
It's sad how Capcom is now TRYING desperately to make a good survival horror game when they were the original king of that throne for all other survival horrors to be judged on (Silent Hill back in the ol' days was compared to RE's quality), whereas a third-party title Amnesia is a generational and cult masterpiece.