What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I can see Mileena being 5-5 finally. I used to just freeze against her but now I'm a lot more comfortable in the MU. I can't really speak on the shang MU cause I'm not familiar at all with it though.
Apparently I'm not either if we judged by how I played it this weekend lol.

b1ggle

Noob
I spent some time with kitana and can add some options: if you're good with reaction you can definitely punish d1 xx cutting fan with inserting elbow between d1 & cutting fan.

Edit: ok, there're 13 frames windows and if u're not a turtle (like me he) u can interrupt it with 2

Another question - do anyone have any suggestions about playing against Cyber Subzero?
I can't zone him (only at full screen) - he could go through ex fb using dive kick (even when i'm charging it to the maximum)
and instant dive kicks makes me crazy

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I spent some time with kitana and can add some options: if you're good with reaction you can definitely punish d1 xx cutting fan with inserting elbow between d1 & cutting fan. It destroys kitana pressing at all

Another question - do anyone have any suggestions about playing against Cyber Subzero?
I can't zone him (only at full screen) - he could go through ex fb using dive kick (even when i'm charging it to the maximum)
and instant dive kicks makes me crazy
Instant divekicks can be punished with a very fast elbow dash. If you're having trouble(he's parrying you) then just check him with a poke or do nothing and then combo.

Knockdowns can be followed up with force balls and his only option is to jump, you can dash into place and block/whiff punish dive kicks.

b1ggle

Noob
RYX yeah, i'm punishing dive kicks well, but when he goes instant ex i can't do anything, cause they're safe
when i'm using fb like a combo ender - he can jump and go with dive kick and i want to continue pressing, and not to go to defense after i knocked him down

RYX

BIG PUSHER
RYX yeah, i'm punishing dive kicks well, but when he goes instant ex i can't do anything, cause they're safe
when i'm using fb like a combo ender - he can jump and go with dive kick and i want to continue pressing, and not to go to defense after i knocked him down
You really have to play a little defensively. Just hit him with D4 after EX Dive kicks.

You can dash in after a force ball set up and if he dive kicks in, he'll land on the force ball for a full combo. Just takes a little practice. :)

b1ggle

Noob
You really have to play a little defensively. Just hit him with D4 after EX Dive kicks.

You can dash in after a force ball set up and if he dive kicks in, he'll land on the force ball for a full combo. Just takes a little practice. :)
Sounds pretty useful! Thank you, I'll try it RYX

Reactions: RYX
CSZ is an odd match for me because I really play aggressively and parry ruins my day. But playing patient and making them understand you can punish dive kick is important.

Ex force balls are useful too. Much like in the mileena mu, if you read a dive kick just charge one. Worst case is you get an ex slow ball on screen keeping him honest.

Baiting parry is great. Dashing in on oki and faking pressure catches a lot of parry happy CSZ players for a full combo. Carful as they can quickly do another one so you've got to be on point.

Also watch ex freeze. Normal freeze sucks but at full screen I get caught dashing in with ex from time to time.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
That's pretty much CSZ matchup in a nutshell. Punish any blocked divekick, EX forceballs are a godsend, and your oki game is key to baiting out errant parries.

The main 2 matchups I'm not sold on being 4-6 opponent is Skarlet and Shang. Reptile controls too much of the screen against Shang and blows up his wakeup really well. Shang really wins the matchup in your face, where you have to play dash-and-a-dream or guess right and armor out. And I don't think Skarlet's tools are actually that much of a deterrent from Reptile playing how he wants to play. Reptile has counters to her counters for his gameplan, and in the end, it just evens out.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
Joker joker joker. I like it. Since you and i have started talking, your downplaying has slowly started to evaporate. By the time evo comes around your match up chart will be all 8-2's. :)

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
That's pretty much CSZ matchup in a nutshell. Punish any blocked divekick, EX forceballs are a godsend, and your oki game is key to baiting out errant parries.

The main 2 matchups I'm not sold on being 4-6 opponent is Skarlet and Shang. Reptile controls too much of the screen against Shang and blows up his wakeup really well. Shang really wins the matchup in your face, where you have to play dash-and-a-dream or guess right and armor out. And I don't think Skarlet's tools are actually that much of a deterrent from Reptile playing how he wants to play. Reptile has counters to her counters for his gameplan, and in the end, it just evens out.
How does Reptile blow up Shang's wakeup?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
That's true actually. At any knockdown I suppose Reptile can get a ball on the screen and if Shang wants to wake up it's a massive guessing game over elbow dash.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
THTB hit this one on the head. Shangs wakeup is bad against everyone. Against reptile....its a nightmare. Shang has a lot of advantages in this matchup, but when reptile gets a knockdown, shang is at his mercy

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Updating my MU chart for Reptile:

Sheeva: 7-3
Baraka: 7-3
Stryker: 7-3
Cyber Sub: 6-4
Ermac: 6-4
Jade: 6-4 7-3
Raiden: 6-4
Sindel: 6-4
Kano: 6-4
Quan Chi: 6-4
Scorpion: 6-4
Jax: 5-5
Kitana: 5-5
Nightwolf: 5-5 6-4
Noob: 5-5
Rain: 5-5
Sub Zero: 5-5
Mileena: 5-5 (I know this MU like the back of my hand, and I truly have no issues with any Mileena's except Sonic Fox and Pig)
Sektor: 5-5
Smoke: 5-5
Cage: 4-6 (I hate this MU more and more every day)
Freddy: 4-6 (I finally came to my senses on this one)
Kabal: 4-6
Kenshi: 4-6
Liu Kang: 4-6 5-5
Shang Tsung: 4-6 5-5
Skarlet: 4-6
Kung Lao: 4-6
Cyrax: 3-7
Sonya: 3-7
My personal opinion, good chart nonetheless.