What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Yeah, Kenshi is def. a loosing MU for reptile. You have to have him read like a book, or simply control him with gimmicks that really don't control him, but are just an illusion of control. At least 6-4 Kenshi...

Sent from my phone, using the keypad.

Yeah, Kenshi is def. a loosing MU for reptile. You have to have him read like a book, or simply control him with gimmicks that really don't control him, but are just an illusion of control. At least 6-4 Kenshi...

Sent from my phone, using the keypad.
Well put, Han.
The idea that reptile won originally was i think that you couldn't contain him with flurry because of the dash and he could bait reflect with fb cancels. Then kenshi decided fuck that shit, got in, and now he wins lol

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Well put, Han.
The idea that reptile won originally was i think that you couldn't contain him with flurry because of the dash and he could bait reflect with fb cancels. Then kenshi decided fuck that shit, got in, and now he wins lol
he controls you with SC..... because unless Dash will actually connect... SC wins.
He can just stand there... reflect FB's and basically make you dash to get in and then get waxed with a SC..... i've never felt so hopeless. (yes i have... but you get the point).

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Reptile doesn't get blown up by kenshi, guess that's why it feels like a win :/
Thats debatable

At least on a combo you get oki options to blow him up again..... but seriously. Go play Rip Crowley. Not Pig..... Rip is just learning the MU and he just kills me by standing and waiting.... blocking and punishing. It is silly. It hurts my ego.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
So does anyone still play this character competitively anymore?

Is he still able to compete with the top tier?

Where have all the lizards gone?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
So does anyone still play this character competitively anymore?

Is he still able to compete with the top tier?

Where have all the lizards gone?
I still do. I'll be at CEO playing all Reptile. He can keep up with top tier, but has to work to do it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
reptile is still top 10 >.>.

tho if kenshi can change his gameplay style to beat out reptile, cant reptile do the same?

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Top 12.

- Kabal
- Kenshi
- Sonya
- Kung Lao
- Cyrax
- Freddy
- Smoke
- Kitana
- JC
- Jax

Wat
no skarlet?

what exactly makes kit no.10? i mean iknow she's good but...did anything new get discovered with her recently or no?

and why is smoke no.7?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Top 12.

- Kabal
- Kenshi
- Sonya
- Kung Lao
- Cyrax
- Freddy
- Smoke
- Kitana
- JC
- Jax

Wat
Reptile is better overall than Jax if I'm going to be honest, and he's just as good as Kitana and JC. So I think it's debatable as to where he should lie in the top ten, you could easily say he is somewhere in the 11-13 spot, or you could call him 8. The characters in those slots are all solid characters that have major flaws in their gameplay somewhere. It's all jujst a matter of opinion really, and in the end it doesn't matter because he isn't broken tier so there lol.

Axel_Redd

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Better than Jax? Could you explain how? I'm not trying to be combative. I am curious, because Jax does have the corner loop of death, some good armor, a safe advancing special, and probably better pokes than Reptile.

Also...it's good to see people talking here again. This late in the game's life, does Reptile have to approach certain match-ups differently now? How does Modern Reptile play? Let's keep these discussions going.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Better than Jax? Could you explain how? I'm not trying to be combative. I am curious, because Jax does have the corner loop of death, some good armor, a safe advancing special, and probably better pokes than Reptile.

Also...it's good to see people talking here again. This late in the game's life, does Reptile have to approach certain match-ups differently now? How does Modern Reptile play? Let's keep these discussions going.
Jax has very solid parts of his game, but most of them are in the corner. If you learn to just low block him and react to the overheads he becomes easy to deal with. As far as footsies go Jax and Reptile are probably on even ground. Reptile's overall game is just way more solid and reliable than Jax's. Reptile's gameplay hasn't really changed at all in about a year. I still play him the same way I did at this time last year.

Jax has very solid parts of his game, but most of them are in the corner. If you learn to just low block him and react to the overheads he becomes easy to deal with. As far as footsies go Jax and Reptile are probably on even ground. Reptile's overall game is just way more solid and reliable than Jax's. Reptile's gameplay hasn't really changed at all in about a year. I still play him the same way I did at this time last year.
Lets not forget that low hitbox characters negate a majority of jax's midscreen damage options and can be poked or full combo'd out of. Reptiles main damage options cannot!
Also, I feel that reptile has way better zoning than Jax as well.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Lets not forget that low hitbox characters negate a majority of jax's midscreen damage options and can be poked or full combo'd out of. Reptiles main damage options cannot!
Also, I feel that reptile has way better zoning than Jax as well.
I wouldn't say Reptile's zoning is better, but more along the lines of Jax's zoning is harder to master.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
no skarlet?

what exactly makes kit no.10? i mean iknow she's good but...did anything new get discovered with her recently or no?

and why is smoke no.7?
Go away.
Reptile is better overall than Jax if I'm going to be honest, and he's just as good as Kitana and JC. So I think it's debatable as to where he should lie in the top ten, you could easily say he is somewhere in the 11-13 spot, or you could call him 8. The characters in those slots are all solid characters that have major flaws in their gameplay somewhere. It's all jujst a matter of opinion really, and in the end it doesn't matter because he isn't broken tier so there lol.

Axel_Redd
Don't think so. There's a reason you see Insup making upsets with Jax, or CDJr and Tyrant winning shit, while we barely get top 8s anywhere.
Top 13.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Go away.
Don't think so. There's a reason you see Insup making upsets with Jax, or CDJr and Tyrant winning shit, while we barely get top 8s anywhere.
Top 13.
If you are going to base this off of tourney results then Kitana is top 5 and Mileena and Sektor should replace half the characters on your list.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
If you are going to base this off of tourney results then Kitana is top 5 and Mileena and Sektor should replace half the characters on your list.
Sektor? Naaaaah.
But Jax is better than reptile. He has armor in everything, pressure is better, zoning is around the same level, corner game is better, he's faster, damage is not better but who gives a fuck.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Sektor? Naaaaah.
But Jax is better than reptile. He has armor in everything, pressure is better, zoning is around the same level, corner game is better, he's faster, damage is not better but who gives a fuck.
He has huge holes in his pressure, and they are easy to exploit and punish with almost any character. It gets better in the corner but not against every character. If Reptile had armor on almost anything other than slide he would be too good. Reptile's footsies are also better or at the very least on par, but d4 is hard to contest. and he can control a hell of a lot more space in the neutral game. I came to a recent revelation about Reptile's pressure, and that it's very unique in this game in a sense that it's not about frame traps or having frame advantage or faster normals. When Reptile pressures he is kind of setting up counter hit setups instead of trying to frame trap. I want to mess around with some stuff when I get my copy of the game back because I think it could truly prove useful for him.