What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
HEY GUYS, remember when mileena was a hot topic of "she counters everything reptile does"? I think everyone should cool down and look at the situation here. Dive kick can be punish with f2 fb after block, reptile can still force sonya's mistakes with fb since she has the only option to block, ex kart, dive kick, and jump over which are all pretty unsafe options. You can also duck a ring and bring out a fb, and since sonya doesnt have a good d3 you can punish all her d1 with dash.

I mean the tools are there.
Exactly...it's not some hopeless matchup.

We have our options.

THTB

How is the Jax MU? I have no idea how to tackle this guy when I'm Reptile.
Very footsies intensive. You have to play Jax from a little further out than sweep distance. This gives you decent room to forceball with a lighter chance of getting blown up by EX dash punch. Sliding vs Jax is solid because it's advancing and ducks under energy wave and dash punch, and Jax simply doesn't hurt midscreen do having it blocked is whatever. Also, Reptile is one if the characters Jax's f413 whiffs on, and he can 122 it.

How is the Jax MU? I have no idea how to tackle this guy when I'm Reptile.
I feel its pretty close. My friend plays jax and mostly I try to zone him and keep him at bay with d4 acid hand/forceball. It's a bit easier to get out of the corner with reptile with ex dash too. Not easy, but easier haha.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I feel its pretty close. My friend plays jax and mostly I try to zone him and keep him at bay with d4 acid hand/forceball. It's a bit easier to get out of the corner with reptile with ex dash too. Not easy, but easier haha.

I've foughten a Jax like twice with Reptile, I'd usually try and just zone a bit. After he takes note I'm zoning, I'd dash in and pressure him.

Got tired of that, (as I'd start losing) and decided to come here.

I don't think I've ever gotten trapped in a corner, but I usually get a free jump out. (as alot of people oddly expect a slide)

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
HEY GUYS, remember when mileena was a hot topic of "she counters everything reptile does"? I think everyone should cool down and look at the situation here.
The thing is is that Mileena has garbage normals trying to combat Reptile up close where as she relied heavily to zone him with instant Air Sai from full screen but then Reptile received the armored Ex Slide buff which helped him and she counterattack his zoning -Teleport Kick his attempts. How the MU evolved, Reptile can turtle Mileena and bait her if he plays patient, he loses to her if he tries to zone her with projectiles with respect to her Teleport Kick and Roll. What was his worst MU, is now moved to a solid 5-5 IMO. No way Sonya will ever be 5-5, 4-6 at best.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
The thing is is that Mileena has garbage normals trying to combat Reptile up close where as she relied heavily to zone him with instant Air Sai from full screen but then Reptile received the armored Ex Slide buff which helped him and she counterattack his zoning -Teleport Kick his attempts. How the MU evolved, Reptile can turtle Mileena and bait her if he plays patient, he loses to her if he tries to zone her with projectiles with respect to her Teleport Kick and Roll. What was his worst MU, is now moved to a solid 5-5 IMO. No way Sonya will ever be 5-5, 4-6 at best.
It's not even just that with Sonya, not only can she get around his zoning with complete and total ease in more than one way, but when she is in Reptile's face he has no options except dash/Ex slide. She can interrupt ex elbow so that makes it hard to keep advantage and pressure. She can literally do whatever she wants once she is up close and there is nothing that Reptile can do about it except throw out a move and pray that it hits.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Well since it's not here anymore I'm just going to go ahead and post my updated MU chart on here again:

Scorpion 5-5
Sub Zero 5-5
Ermac 6-4
Noob 5-5
Smoke 5-5
Rain 5-5
Mileena 5-5 (4-6 is possible here, but it just hasn't felt that bad to me lately)
Kitana 5-5
Skarlet 3-7
Jade 6-4
Sektor 4-6
Cyrax 5-5
CSZ 5-5 (Could be convinced on 4-6, need to play more good CSZ's though)
Kenshi 5-5
Freddy 4-6
Sindel 5-5
Sonya 3-7
Jax 6-4
Cage 4-6
Stryker 6-4
Liu Kang 6-4
Kung Lao 4-6
Kano 6-4
Nightwolf 6-4
Kabal 4-6
Baraka 6-4
Shang 5-5
Quan Chi 6-4
Raiden 5-5
Sheeva 7-3

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
5-5 noob? No fuckin way. More like 7-3
Please believe it dude. Reptile's only heavy advantage in this MU is he gets in faster than most, Teleport should be noob's best friend against any zoning reptile tries to do at all. Reptile's only answer against noob is to get in that ass and he isn't that great at it. Noob can jump out and teleslam ex dashes (or at least I'm pretty sure). As long as you play this MU safe Noob has no reason to be scared. I could give you a 6-4 I believe that could be true, but not 7-3 no way.

THTB

Omg thank you...someone who thinks the same way I do in the Reptile matchup. Btw, blocked tackle or slide from outside dash max range is a total mixup for Reptile. Dash has 20f duration on whiff, and at that range, both projectiles are around -10 to -12, so Reptile NEVER dashes in and has advantage. And the teleslam buff is huge, because before it got buffed, this matchup was arguably 7-3. Now Reptile can't just wait until you throw a projectile and forceball when he blocks one. Before he could and if you thought of using a projectile, you got bopped for it.

This matchup is so much better for Noob than anyone wants to believe and I'm glad Joker is one of the people who is aware of this. It's not this terrible matchup.

Kano isn't in his favor, though. He just doesn't keep Reptile out at all, and Reptile's footsies are overall better.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Omg thank you...someone who thinks the same way I do in the Reptile matchup. Btw, blocked tackle or slide from outside dash max range is a total mixup for Reptile. Dash has 20f duration on whiff, and at that range, both projectiles are around -10 to -12, so Reptile NEVER dashes in and has advantage. And the teleslam buff is huge, because before it got buffed, this matchup was arguably 7-3. Now Reptile can't just wait until you throw a projectile and forceball when he blocks one. Before he could and if you thought of using a projectile, you got bopped for it.

This matchup is so much better for Noob than anyone wants to believe and I'm glad Joker is one of the people who is aware of this. It's not this terrible matchup.

Kano isn't in his favor, though. He just doesn't keep Reptile out at all, and Reptile's footsies are overall better.
It's almost starting to look a lot like the Sektor MU to be honest (imo anyway), but just not as bad. Oh that Kano MU was actually a mistake I meant 6-4 Reptile haha. Fixing now.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Well since it's not here anymore I'm just going to go ahead and post my updated MU chart on here again:

Scorpion 5-5
Sub Zero 5-5
Ermac 6-4
Noob 5-5
Smoke 5-5
Rain 5-5
Mileena 5-5 (4-6 is possible here, but it just hasn't felt that bad to me lately)
Kitana 5-5
Skarlet 3-7
Jade 6-4
Sektor 4-6
Cyrax 5-5
CSZ 5-5 (Could be convinced on 4-6, need to play more good CSZ's though)
Kenshi 5-5
Freddy 4-6
Sindel 5-5
Sonya 3-7
Jax 6-4
Cage 4-6
Stryker 6-4
Liu Kang 6-4
Kung Lao 4-6
Kano 6-4
Nightwolf 6-4
Kabal 4-6
Baraka 6-4
Shang 5-5
Quan Chi 6-4
Raiden 5-5
Sheeva 7-3
i like it just disagree with a couple.
I believe mileena is def a bad matchu a solid 4-6. Play a high level mileena though cus there arent many left
Also I think the liu kang matchup is 5-5 if not in liukangs favor when played correctly.
I think the jax matchup is dead even tbh and dont think skarlet matchup is as bad as you think
Lastly I believe sektor mu to be even

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
i like it just disagree with a couple.
I believe mileena is def a bad matchu a solid 4-6. Play a high level mileena though cus there arent many left
Also I think the liu kang matchup is 5-5 if not in liukangs favor when played correctly.
I think the jax matchup is dead even tbh and dont think skarlet matchup is as bad as you think
Lastly I believe sektor mu to be even
I can understand Mileena, as well as Jax actually (though I firmly believe that is 6-4 Reptile) but as for the rest I just can't.
Yes getting in on Liu Kang is hard, but once you are in it's easy street. Liu Kang cannot handle Reptile's oki game, so stick to the fundamentals of the character and you will win the match.
If you don't think Skarlet is that bad then you are not playing the right Skarlets. Sorry but it's true, this MU is just as bad as Sonya. She shuts down everything and gets tons of damage for it. You can't zone, it's really hard to get out of pressure, she eliminates wake ups with resets after 40%+ combos, and her pressure game is almost free against him once she gets it going because of all Rep's extremely slow normals. Daggers are even worse to deal with, and getting in for Reptile is a nightmare. If you try to just dash block in you won't get very far because if I'm not mistaken daggers have pushback, and Skarlet's dash canceling out of them the whole time (and her dash is waaaay better). Elbow dashing will get blown up just as badly if not by daggers by Ex red dash punishes. It's a nightmare.
Sektor- He can pretty much play you the same way noob does except better, and with a little bit of pretty decent pressure in between. I feel like that's all that needs to be said there lol.

Seapeople

This one's for you
The corner slow forceball trap works pretty nicely against Mileena. After you elbow dash out, fully charge the ex sfb and it will shut down all her wakeups while still keeping her cornered. It doesn't drastically improve this matchup, but it's helpful.

Here is good example of why I've argued that reptile beats cage 6-4. Granted its one set but both these players obviously are top representatives of their characters

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Here is good example of why I've argued that reptile beats cage 6-4. Granted its one set but both these players obviously are top representatives of their characters

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2[/quote

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
curbo was jumping way to much and not even respecting the option of elbow dash. Half the time he wasn't using the right ex fb frame trap and he also refused to just dash block in when getting zoned. Cage doesn't have any reason at all to jump in this MU.

curbo was jumping way to much and not even respecting the option of elbow dash. Half the time he wasn't using the right ex fb frame trap and he also refused to just dash block in when getting zoned. Cage doesn't have any reason at all to jump in this MU.
I agree he did so those things. However it still shows reppy can do decent at keeping him out. Plus Tyler could have dashed more after blocking some of those strings.

My Cage is ass and still somewhat new to me, but from watching Dizzy's Cage bash in Han's face on GGA stream I am convinced Cage wins or is at least 5-5 with Rep...the exception is online when Cage cant reliably punish every single blocked dash with a F3 string

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
My Cage is ass and still somewhat new to me, but from watching Dizzy's Cage bash in Han's face on GGA stream I am convinced Cage wins or is at least 5-5 with Rep...the exception is online when Cage cant reliably punish every single blocked dash with a F3 string
Don't mistake Dizzy winning (or me losing) a deficiency with Reptile; Reptile is my secondary and I use him to counter certain bad matchups that Cyrax has. Dizzy is the BEST Cage out there, as well. Reptile has all the tools to make Cage an even battle, despite what you saw on stream. GGA Dizzy sometimes transforms into Omega Dizzy, and at that point no one can beat him, as well.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Don't mistake Dizzy winning (or me losing) a deficiency with Reptile; Reptile is my secondary and I use him to counter certain bad matchups that Cyrax has. Dizzy is the BEST Cage out there, as well. Reptile has all the tools to make Cage an even battle, despite what you saw on stream. GGA Dizzy sometimes transforms into Omega Dizzy, and at that point no one can beat him, as well.
i think its a little in cages favor offline

Bro dont take what I said the wrong way. Even if its your secondary, you've got one of the best Reptile's I have ever seen, maybe even the best imo.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I played the Reptile-Cage match for hours yesterday. Imo it seems like a tough 5-5 for both Cage and Reptile. This might be a lot easier if Reptile's pokes weren't so slow. Here's some things that seemed to make the match easier for me...

NJP splat and the corner escape set ups are a must. Never use the reset. d4~forceball is usually a bad idea. Backward throw is pretty nifty. Only use shenanigans like the ghetto reset very rarely when the player won't be expecting it. I mainly used meter for breaker, ex slowball and ex dash. You can throw Cage out of his ex nutpunch, especially after he blocks ex elbow dash.
Big, dark stages like the Flesh Pits or Goro's Lair are good...invisibility helps make your zoning more ambiguous and harder for Cage to trek through. Anytime he blocks a forceball from over half screen you can automatically go invisible.

Some of that is probably common knowledge but hopefully its helpful. Anybody have more thoughts about this match?